IDPA shooters new to USPSA

PDA

Krag
July 9, 2005, 08:27 PM
We had five IDPAers show up at our club's monthly USPSA match. They were a bit nervous at first but when all was said and done one of them summed their feelings up quite well when he said, "Da*n, this sure is a lot more fun then what we've been doing!" :D

If you enjoyed reading about "IDPA shooters new to USPSA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gary G23
July 9, 2005, 08:46 PM
Are you insinuating that once us IDPA shooters try USPSA we will all be converts? I'm afraid not. I shot USPSA for ten years but left when something better came along and won't go back either.

Jeeper
July 9, 2005, 09:10 PM
I have noticed more IDPA shooter coming to USPSA after all the rules confusion. I havent heard but a few that didnt like it. Most of the comments were "damn I need some more mags!"

mpthole
July 9, 2005, 10:48 PM
When IDPA came out with the new rulebook, our match director stepped down leaving a huge void for the practical shooting enthusiasts. One of the long time shooters had recently started shooting USPSA and volunteered to be the match director for USPSA matches if we could get the club to go along with it. So far its been a great success!

The biggest difference I've noticed - other than the round counts of course! - is that USPSA puts a lot more responsibility on shooter. Looking back at IDPA, there was a lot more "hand-holding". I mean IDPA told the shooter how to do everything! USPSA puts the responsibility on the shooter to understand the COF - all of it (start position, hits per target, reloads if necessary, fault lines, etc) - whereas in IDPA the SO is always there to reminding you ("pssst - you need to do a reload here", or "use cover").

If there were IDPA matches closer to me, I'd still participate in them; but for now, I'll be shooting USPSA.

http://www.wisconsinshooters.com

71Commander
July 10, 2005, 04:35 AM
Do you need track shoes to shoot IDPA? USPSA is physically draining as well as mentally exhausting.

jdkelly
July 10, 2005, 07:19 AM
After shooting IDPA for a period of time, many shooters find USPSA liberating.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Krag
July 10, 2005, 12:12 PM
TennTucker - that's what known as "exercise." It's good for you dude.......... :cool:

I'll be honest, in the last year I have seen a lot more IDPA guys start shooting USPSA matches than the other way around. Hmmmmmm............... :rolleyes:

Krag
July 10, 2005, 12:14 PM
Gary G23 - no I did not. I merely related the fact that these guys admitted they were having more fun shooting USPSA. After all that's what any competitive activity is supposed to be. Right?

One other guy remarked that he'd fired more rounds in our match than in the last three IDPA matches he'd attended. He liked that also.

71Commander
July 10, 2005, 05:21 PM
that's what known as "exercise." It's good for you dude

Yeah. I know. I shoot USPSA. I was just wondering if IDPA shooters had windsprints thrown in with their shootin stages. IPSC shooters do. Kinda wish I had some of the steel spikes that use to be in golf shoes. :uhoh: :eek:

Jim Watson
July 10, 2005, 05:39 PM
IDPA has limits on distance moved during a stage. Cleats are not allowed.

I have shot both IPDA and IPSC and there is a lot more difference between them on the Internet than there is on the shooting ranges.

cadfael
July 10, 2005, 08:28 PM
I have shot both IPDA and IPSC and there is a lot more difference between them on the Internet than there is on the shooting ranges.
Jim,

As usual well said. I may have to quote you sometime.

Adam

Jeff22
July 11, 2005, 01:13 AM
I shoot SSP in IDPA and "Production" class in IPSC.

Since the big IDPA holster controversy this spring, a bunch of the local IDPA shooters "crossed over" and tried IPSC and really enjoyed it. One club even dropped their IDPA affiliation and signed on with USPSA.

I don't think it's that big a deal -- I shoot whatever my schedule allows. Both disciplines now have enough different classes that when you shoot in a match you are able to directly compete with others using equivalent equipment, which levels the playing field somewhat. USPSA should've done that 15 years ago.

My IPSC friends harass me because I like to shoot classifiers more than field courses, but that's just my personal preference. I still think the IDPA classifier is a great test of basic skills. (I like any course of fire that I can rip off and use for training at the PD)

sturmruger
July 12, 2005, 02:30 PM
I have shot both, and can honestly say they are both a lot of fun. My personal preference is to USPSA, but that is just because I enjoy making mag changes and love shooting more then 30 rounds!! The one thing I do like about IDPA is the simplicity of the scoring. Since USPSA uses hit factor scoring it is a little bit harder to see where you are sitting after stage.

frenchwrench
July 12, 2005, 03:55 PM
I wish NW Indiana had IDPA locally so I could check out the differences. Always willing to try something new.

CNubel
July 15, 2005, 01:38 AM
I just started shooting competitively. I started with IDPA because itís simple and because there is a degree of hand holding (mentioned in a post above) that we newbies need. Also, you don't need fancy holsters, speed release mag holders, and a tricked out gun to shoot IDPA. Not that there is anything wrong with IPSC, itís a great sport, but it has developed into a sport where you need a lot of gizmos just to approach the line. I hope I am someday good enough to shoot IPSC, but IDPA is a great place to learn and to get a good feel for competition pistol.

Another benefit to IDPA's low cost and hand holding is that it is much less imposing to new comers and may get more people interested in shooting sports. That is something that will benefit everyone.

Chris

faustulus
July 15, 2005, 02:26 AM
but it has developed into a sport where you need a lot of gizmos just to approach the line.
you need what you are shooting now plus a couple of extra mags and holders. I began with a Hi Power in the days before production. I never lost a match because of my gun.
There is this idea (erronous) that you need a bunch of equipment to compete in IPSC/USPSA but not IDPA, if you have the gear for one you have the gear for the other. There is a class you can fit in and be competetive. Yes some people have race guns, but some people in IDPA have race guns as well. They cost just as much, but don't look it.
Not to jump on you, but I am sick of seeing this printed everywhere, usually by people who have never gone to a match.

Morgan
July 15, 2005, 05:43 AM
CNubel - spoken like someone who has never shot an IPSC/USPSA match, and doesn't know the rules.

USPSA has a division for everyone, from stock to racegun, from basic holsters to "ghost" magnetic holsters.

IPSC stages have a higher round count, more challenging courses, and (typically) better competition. Their classification system is fantastic, showing where I am compared to the best in the country.

IDPA is fun, too. I have limited time right now for shooting games, and I try to make every IPSC match I can. When I can score full weekends off I'll certainly be back to IDPA.

Hoser
July 15, 2005, 09:49 AM
...but it has developed into a sport where you need a lot of gizmos just to approach the line. So completely not true. More than a few have made it to the top of the heap with stock Glocks, Berettas and Sigs from plastic holsters. Then there is some guy named Jerry shooting a S&W 625 that beats up on bottom feeders.

I enjoy IDPA and shoot it often, sometimes with a stock Steyr M9 ad sometimes with a Single Stack 38 Super.

I enjoy IPSC/USPSA more and shoot every division it has. Jack of all divisions, master of none.

OF
July 15, 2005, 10:26 AM
CNubel, as has been pointed out, you're mistaken about the equipment requirements to be competitive in USPSA. More mags, ammo and pouches are really all that separates the two games in terms of equipment requirements. You don't want to be shooting open with your single-stack 1911, but I shoot Limited-10 with my single stack, a KyTac belt hoster and Comp-Tac pouches. You can shoot production with just about any stock gun.

USPSA is a huge tent, if you want to shoot your $5000 race rig, where else are you going to go? But if you want to shoot your Sig, you can shoot it there too.

I help run an IDPA club and we keep our tent as big as possible, but it's not as big as USPSA's. You are right on the money, however, when you say that IDPA offers an environment that may be more 'familiar' and comfortable for newer shooters or shooters just coming off of their CCW classes or NRA Personal Protection classes. The 'hand-holding' as it's been called, and the more structured environment is an asset there. Also, I find that shooters just getting into competition tend to be more likely to think that shooting a more 'sporty' game like USPSA is somehow going to degrade their personal protection skills - this is incorrect, but it takes a while for people to realize it so they feel more comfortable with IDPA thinking it is more 'applicable', which it is for them, if in nothing more than attitude. The techniques they are familiar with from these classes will seem more at home at an IDPA match, while at a USPSA match they will feel out of place.

With the new rulebook, they specifically mention that IDPA is to make an effort to remain geared towards new shooters while still offering an experience worth having for a more advanced shooter.

USPSA suffers from the 'race gun' myth. It's a shame when probably 80% or more of the shooters at any given match are shooting non-race type gear. Frankly, you are more likely to have gear in your safe right now that is USPSA legal than IDPA legal.

richardschennberg
July 15, 2005, 05:47 PM
If a couple of your magazines have 14-round or more capacity, then 3 or 4 total magazines should be enough. I would recommend 4 or 5 magazines for Production, Limited-10, or if all your magazines are 9 or 10 rounders. For factory length single-stack 7 or 8 round magazines, 5 should be plenty even for a long course of fire.

If you want an extra-long magazine for Limited or Open, 1 or 2 140 mm long for Limited and 1 170 mm long for Open is all you need unless you just want to buy more stuff.

The shooter is much more important than the equipment, and remember the priorities:
1. Shoot safe.
2. Have fun.
3. Be compeitive.

(3) should contribute to (2) if you don't overdo it.
Richard
Schennberg.com (http://www.schennberg.com)

CNubel
July 16, 2005, 12:59 AM
I stand corrected. Looks like I jumped to a conclusion before I did any research which is not normally my style. I'll try not to do that again. Thanks to all who commented. It was a good lesson.

And BTW, I just saw the scores from last weekends match.....and ....ehh....letís put it this way, I have a lot of room for improvement. :)

Morgan
July 16, 2005, 05:30 AM
CNubel - get yourself five mags (and four mag pouches) and come to an IPSC match. I think you'll quite enjoy yourself.

Krag
July 16, 2005, 06:12 PM
"RUN & GUN & HAVE FUN!!!" :cool:

feicke
July 19, 2005, 06:33 PM
Frenchwrech,

Check out www.npccc.com. IPSIC, IDPA, SASS, 3 gun and trap.

Also sent you a PM.

If you enjoyed reading about "IDPA shooters new to USPSA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!