Home Defense Weapon Rotation?

PDA

Redlg155
January 1, 2003, 01:37 AM
Just curious, am I the only one who routinely rotates what weapon will be the first one grabbed in a home defense scenario?

I usually try change whatever weapon I have on "standby" at least once a week. I'm sure there are pros and cons to keeping one and rotating, but I still like to press all of mine into "service" whenever possible.

As for handguns I don't necessarily rotate, I just carry a lighter, smaller weapon when I have to "dress down" and sometimes change for sentimental reasons. Other than that I almost always stick to my HK USPC .45.

Good SHooting
RED

If you enjoyed reading about "Home Defense Weapon Rotation?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PATH
January 1, 2003, 01:41 AM
I don't change all that much. I like to be familiar with what I am shooting and I feel very comfortable with my Mod 36 J-frame. It is like an extension of my hand and I shoot it in fair to middlin fashion,

dfrog
January 1, 2003, 01:45 AM
I don't rotate my weapons. If the situation ever arises, I choose one of several (which ever one I happen to grab).:p

Tamara
January 1, 2003, 01:53 AM
I have a standard rifle, pistol and shotgun that are all pretty much designated for the "ready to go" role around the house.

Beretta 96D, Remington 870 and HK91.

sm
January 1, 2003, 02:00 AM
NO
I like simple
Like Tamara, I don't have to think, I just grab and use.

Chugach
January 1, 2003, 02:19 AM
As long as they're similar and simple in operation, I'll rotate within the group. For example, I don't have any trouble rotating anything DA/SA with decocker. I'll even stretch that to other pistols that are DAO.

I have no problem rotating to revolvers.

For me, simplicity rules.

Schuey2002
January 1, 2003, 02:27 AM
Nope.

I just grab what's at hand, and that usually is one of my Glocks..

Not unless more firepower is required, then, it's HK TIME !!:evil:

Ala Dan
January 1, 2003, 02:53 AM
I don't deviate from the SIG-Sauer P220 in .45 ACP,
6" Smith & Wesson 686-5 in .357 magnum, or the
Remington 12 gague Marine Magnum!:uhoh:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

emann
January 1, 2003, 02:55 AM
I use the one that I'm shooting most at the time. That way I feel really familiar with it.

10-Ring
January 1, 2003, 03:27 AM
I rotate guns every few months. Plus, I'll have a couple of range sessions first (200-400 rounds & a couple of good cleanings & lubings) to get reacquainted to its little quirks (whatever they might be).

UnknownSailor
January 1, 2003, 03:32 AM
No rotation for me.
I am of the theory that one should be used to one particular gun for these kind of scenarios, for when you have nothing but your instincts to rely on in a deadly force encounter. So, I just use one weapon, but rotate ammunition, and maintain it religiously.

Kahr carrier
January 1, 2003, 03:36 AM
Nope my Standard house gun is the Glock-21:ar15:

Preacherman
January 1, 2003, 09:46 AM
I rotate my Glocks.

DamnedDirtyApe
January 1, 2003, 09:57 AM
Glock 30 with 200 gr +P Gold Dots and a SA Mil-Spec 1911 with 230 gr Golden Sabers are always in the bedroom.

Long arm is rotated among an ArmaLite M-15A2 with 30 rounds of W3131A, an 18" Benelli with Federal 00 buck, a Romanian SKS with soft points, or an M1 Carbine with two fifteen round mags of Federal softpoints in a jungle clip.

There's a Garand in there, too, with a clip or two of surplus FN nearby. I don't usually keep it loaded.

CAP
January 1, 2003, 10:25 AM
I don't rotate. It would be either 92FS with hi-caps, or the G26.
Thinking about placing the mossy 12ga in the closet instead of the other house location I have, but I do have school age kids to think about. :scrutiny:

CAP

Double Naught Spy
January 1, 2003, 10:49 AM
So you rotate these weapons because they get tired after a week? jealous of not being on call? or why?

TallPine
January 1, 2003, 11:49 AM
I rotate my cylinder every now and then .... does that count?

:D

JeepDriver
January 1, 2003, 11:58 AM
4" 686 with 125 gr Gold Dots or Ruger P95 w/ 124 +p Gold Dots. Depends on my mood. Adding the Sig 239 9mm into the Rotation after it gets a couple hundred rounds of HP ammo throught it

And a 95 lb Black Lab.

Robby from Long Island
January 1, 2003, 12:06 PM
IF, (and that's a big IF) I ever had to grab my home defense gun it would be my 92FS.

Again, if I felt the situation warranted it, my 92FS would accompany me to my Benelli M1 Super 90 tactical.

So far, none of the above has ever been necessary and I hope it never is.

Actually, I've never been in a situation where I had to even consider getting either one of them for a perceived threat and that's a good thing.

Safe shooting.

labgrade
January 1, 2003, 01:11 PM
No rotation except magazines, here 'n there.

BHP/daily CCW. Worse case, might have to bring the hammer to "up" position.

There's an 870 around somewhere that just needs a quick-shift.

& some S&W DA revolvers that need nothing more than a friendly handshake to work just fine.

Very nice to stick to a basic manual of arms - whatever you grab is intinctive & ready to go.

Redlg155
January 1, 2003, 02:35 PM
So you rotate these weapons because they get tired after a week? jealous of not being on call? or why?

Rotating them weekly means that at the very least I inspect and clean them at least once a week. That way I know my weapons and ammo are in top condition at all times.

This week is my 9mm AR just back from Kurts. Next week the 870. The week after the AK..and so on and so forth.

Plus I always put the weapon that will be used towards the front of the safe in a handy position for me to use or to give to the wife for a backup.

Good Shooting
RED

Mike Irwin
January 1, 2003, 03:11 PM
I don't rotate them with any regularity.

It's usually predicated on what I've taken to the range most recently.

If the gun in my nightstand is one I want to take to the range, I'll take it out and put another gun in.

2dogs
January 1, 2003, 05:16 PM
No, the only rotation I did was swiching home defense guns from semi auto to revolver. Since then I keep the same ones in the same place.

4v50 Gary
January 1, 2003, 05:41 PM
Plenty of guns to choose from but for immediate repelling boarders (home invaders) drill, it's a 45. Now, if given the time, it's a Rem 870 or a SKS carbine.

Never use your most expensive gun. Use the cheapest (price wise) reliable gun you've got. Guns involved in shooting criminals are taken as evidence and won't be returned until the shooter is cleared of any crime.

enfwago
January 1, 2003, 05:47 PM
No rotation for me. It is whatever I happen to grab at the time.

gburner
January 1, 2003, 05:53 PM
Split Foyer house with social space and bedrooms up and downstairs.

1911A1 and 12 ga. pump shotty upstairs.
12 ga. single shot break top boomstick
and cut down Yugo SKS downstairs.
.303 Enfield and Yugo 24/47 in reserve.
Various edged weapons about for support.

If you enjoyed reading about "Home Defense Weapon Rotation?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!