Anyone compete down in Renton, WA?

PDA

nomadboi
July 11, 2005, 02:38 PM
I might try to go for the Saturday match... it'd be my first time ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone compete down in Renton, WA?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
OMCHamlin
July 12, 2005, 09:07 PM
in what.................

nomadboi
July 12, 2005, 09:18 PM
Anything, really... this week it's IDPA, but I think they also have USPSA and Cowboy Action tournaments regularly.

nomikes
July 12, 2005, 09:47 PM
Friendly folks. Go for it. Glen, up at the rifle/pistol range, is good people too.

MillCreek
July 13, 2005, 02:55 PM
I was born and raised in the Renton area, and graduated from Renton High in the late 70's. I still get down there periodically since I have family there. I have been racking my brains trying to think of where a range is located in Renton.

Where the heck is any range in Renton? Or are you actually talking about Maple Valley? There has been a range for many years out in Maple Valley east of Renton.

nomadboi
July 13, 2005, 04:41 PM
http://www.rfgc.org/

MillCreek
July 13, 2005, 05:48 PM
Ah, you were referring to the fish and game club out in Maple Valley. Seeing the subject line in your original posting, I thought that perhaps someone had built an indoor range in Renton itself, or something.

nomadboi
July 13, 2005, 05:58 PM
Only indoor range I know of in the area is Wade's, which is actually closer to me, and where I've been going just for range time.

Langenator
July 13, 2005, 07:17 PM
Bull's Eye in Tacoma was still open last I checked. Not sure about WSI in Factoria.

MillCreek
July 13, 2005, 07:55 PM
Unfortunately, WSI (both the range and gunshop) went out of business some time ago. Wade's, Bulls's Eye in Tacoma, the Marksman in Puyallup, the Recreational Shooting Center in Arlington and Sam's in Everett are the only indoor ranges I can think of off the top of my head in the Puget Sound area. Continental Sportsman in Mountlake Terrace is also long gone.

tomkatz
July 13, 2005, 11:29 PM
Here's a new one between kent and renton....I haven't checked it out yet but it is supposed to be state of the art......I'm going to shoot there next week while I'm on vacation.....tom

http://www.championarms.com/index.html

MillCreek
July 14, 2005, 12:08 AM
This looks interesting. And it is fairly close by, being just a little bit south of Valley Medical Center in Renton. I would estimate about less than five minutes south of the 405/167 interchange, depending on the traffic.

Hoser
July 14, 2005, 09:35 AM
I shot the 2001 Area 1 USPSA match there. Great range, great match. Long way from Colorado, but worth every penny.

nomadboi
July 14, 2005, 10:50 AM
Hey, thanks for the heads-up on that new range, too- that's about the same distance from me as Wade's.

Looking forward to a range report sometime soon if anyone makes it down there.

mordecai
July 19, 2005, 01:53 PM
http://www.championarms.com/index.html

Sounds like WSI's reincarnation.

nomadboi
July 19, 2005, 02:12 PM
I moved here just about the same time WSI was going away (lease issues, I heard). Actually tried to go there once (the website was still up, and said they were open), but it was too late.

Still, from what I've heard, if they came back froim the dead, that would be a good thing, right? Assuming this is a reborn WSI and not an evil undead zombie WSI...

Maybe I'll try to head down there sometime in the next week or so. I've got a little Browning Buckmark plinker that I haven't tried out yet, that should be a cheaper way to practice than feeding my Steyr M40.

For those who didn't see my post in the 'first IDPA' thread, I did end up going down to Renton last Saturday and shooting IDPA. Fun stuff! I did better than I expected to, given that I'd never done live fire from a draw, or on the move, but I can definitely tell I need more range time, and I want to work on shooting with both eyes open.

One problem is that my follow-up sucks. Over at Wade's, they didn't want you firing at all rapidly, so I'm not used to doing a good quick doubletap.

Need to get my glasses checked sometime soon too. Lost a bunch of time/points by just not being able to see if there were holes in the target or not, especially if it was far downrange and/or moving.

ChristopherG
July 19, 2005, 03:21 PM
Lost a bunch of time/points by just not being able to see if there were holes in the target or not, especially if it was far downrange and/or moving.

Well, I'm not an optometrist, and can't comment on your eyewear; but you really shouldn't be looking for holes. It seems like a lofty goal when you're starting out, but you're supposed to able to 'call' the shot when you break it--that is, you should know whether you hit the target, and where, by being aware of your sight picture when the shot goes off. If you have to take the time to see where you bullet went, you'll never make the kind of speed IDPA requires. Also, if you're thinking about it tactically, it's pretty unlikely you're going to be able to see the holes in real-life bad guys; so maybe not a great habit to get into.

For this and other Zen trickery, I highly recommend Brian Enos's book to all new competitive shooters. 'Practical Shooting', available at Brian's website, brianenos.com.

On the thread topic: I'm looking to move back to the NW this year, and I'm glad to hear about the opportunities to shoot there--thanks!!

nomadboi
July 19, 2005, 04:35 PM
There were a couple that were far enough I wasn't sure- and yes, I do generally need to spend more time at the range so I have more confidence in my shots.

The biggest time cost was on a moving target though, where it was the last target, and I really thought I'd hit it... I had just gotten to slide lock, and stood there for a second, looking at it. Realized it only had one hole and needed three, did a quick reload and got off a couple more shots.

Real people- there's no set target of 'must have three torso hits and one head per target' kinda thing, more of a 'if it's still trying to hurt you, keep firing'.

Maybe if the cardboard targets would scream and double over when you get a torso hit I'd do better. ;)

I do like those reactive targets though- those little metal poppers are very satisfying. Surprised me how slow they were to go down sometimes though. Once or twice I thought I might have missed and was about to take another shot when it started tipping over from the first shot. That's with .40; there were some people using .45, but also some using 9mm, and as far as I know it went down for all of them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone compete down in Renton, WA?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!