Preparedness

PDA

TarpleyG
March 21, 2003, 10:52 AM
I know this has been discussed in different threads but it mostly pertaining to isolated topics. As I lie awake in bed last night, not able to sleep for a while, I kept thinking how unprepared I really am if something were to happen in the coming days.

I suppose I should just plan like I would for a hurricane but is there anything else to consider if we have a C-N-B attack near where we live? I mean, do we really need plastic sheeting and duct tape? Can we come up with a list of common items that would be needed if we had to be on our own for a few days?

Just rambling mostly but is anyone else worried just a little?

Oh, and to add so it's firearms related... How much ammo should I keep back to handle looters, etc. in the event of a catastrophe? 12ga and pistol.

GT

If you enjoyed reading about "Preparedness" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bogie
March 21, 2003, 11:26 AM
Your best asset isn't food or weapons.

It's people.

Make friends with your neighbors.

That said, a half-dozen neighbors with cheap .22 rifles could discourage a sizable group of rabble.

Ebbtide
March 21, 2003, 11:43 AM
Get a sail boat if you don't have one. There is no better way of escaping an NBC attack than on the water. If there is an evacuation I think the best means of leaving is via the innercoastal water way or open sea (no traffic jams).

hso
March 21, 2003, 11:47 AM
Call you local Emergency Operations Center and ask what the threat assessments are in your immediate area and community. Do not bother to ask about vulnerability assessments, they should not give this information to you.

Determine the need for any additional measures beyond your hurricane plan (be sure to reevaluate the plan against the lessons learned from Andrew and David) and be sure to set up a long distance contact relay for you and your family members.

If sheltering is likely, based on chemical storage/process facilites or high threat facilities upwind of you, you may want to precut plastic to fit over windows and HVAC air intakes. You do want to know where the breaker cutoff for the HVAC is so that you can ensure that the HVAC does not come on if you are required to shelter in place. Close and lock all doors and windows to make them seal tighter. Tape the edges so that you have a good overlap. Add plastic to cover any areas you think may provide drafts of air into the space you're occupying. Have some sort of entertainment in the space to occupy your time. You may want to add a commercially available HEPA unit to put in the room if you suspect that there is a higher potential for aerosols to be a threat.

The basics consist of Sheltering/Evacuation and are:

Know and follow the Emergency Procedures and Evacuation Plan for your location when away from home.
Keep your keys, purse/wallet and a form of ID with you at all times.
Listen to your radio for instructions from authorities such as whether to remain inside or to evacuate.
Learn where emergency exits are located in buildings you frequent.
Notice where exits are when you enter unfamiliar buildings.
Plan how to get out of a building, subway or congested public area or traffic.
Note where staircases are located.
Notice heavy or breakable objects that could move, fall or break.
Be aware of major and minor roads that could be used to reach a sheltering location or evacuation route.

Emergency Equipment

It is suggested that you have available to you the following items:

Emergency contact list
Battery operated radio and extra batteries
Flashlight with extra batteries
Bottled water
Energy bars or non-perishable food
Cash (include a roll of quarters for the pay phone)
Prepaid calling card
Extra clothing
Comfortable walking shoes
Any required medications
Sanitation supplies

Personal Protection Equipment can be added to the list and are a personal choice. You should consider that you will either be sheltering for a few hours or evacuating for 3 to 5 days when making your choices.

Andrew taught folks that looting and other crimes were common after all the wind died down. The need for individuals to protect their property was seen over and over again. This would be less likely during a terrorist incident. Folks will be primarily sheltering in place or evacuating. This means that protecting yourself, family, and means of evacuation may be more important than protecting your home. That would lead me to conclude that very portable weapons might be a better choice.

TarpleyG
March 21, 2003, 01:14 PM
Ehenz,

Believe me. I am a sailor and a sailboat is on the list of stuff I want, soon. Just can't do it right now. But you are right. I cannot think of a better place to be that out to sea if the SHTF.

GT

Drjones
March 21, 2003, 02:06 PM
Tarpley;

Lots of good advice given above.

I have also been thinking about my family's level of preparedness. (Or lack thereof)

I would recommend the following:

-ALWAYS have a solid knife and flashlight on you, and of course your gun. Even a little keychain light is ok. Maybe keep something bigger in the car.

-Keep your car(s) full of gas. Its a good idea to always keep your tank full anyway. Also, the fuel acts as a coolant for your fuel pump. It is actually bad to run your tank empty.

-Keep some non-perishable foods (canned, or MRE's if you want) and bottled water.

-First aid kit

That's about all for now.

Like it was said above, you and other people are your best asset in an emergency.

Also, it doesn't really matter what tools you have if you don't know how to use them.

Is there a good, all-purpose survival-type book that anyone would care to recommend?

Thanks
Drjones

If you enjoyed reading about "Preparedness" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!