A movie trivia challenge...

PDA

ebd10
July 12, 2005, 03:31 PM
...Not the usual sort. Here's the challenge; can anyone name a movie in which a firearm was used for good but was NOT being used by a cop/soldier/SEAL/CIA operative/SF trooper/any other of the "approved" groups?

I can think of only 2: "Stand Alone", a semi-plausible plot, low budget 'B' movie starring Charles Durning as a senior citizen that takes a stand against a drug gang in his neighborhood.

"Legends of the Fall" a Greek tragedy with some decent gunplay in it. If you can stomach Brad Pitt, the story is pretty good, and there's a strong libertarian slant to the plot.

If you enjoyed reading about "A movie trivia challenge..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Henry Bowman
July 12, 2005, 03:39 PM
Welcome edb10.

How about Colateral? Max, the taxi driver, used a gun to shoot Vince and save the DA's life. Granted, there was a lot of bad guy gun use also.

GhostRider66
July 12, 2005, 03:39 PM
I guess the Outlaw Josey Wales wouldn't count cause he was a soldier at the beginning? ;)

torpid
July 12, 2005, 03:41 PM
Dawn of the Dead perhaps?

(sorry, but hey- zombies!)

:D

Justin
July 12, 2005, 03:43 PM
The Matrix

perry1963
July 12, 2005, 03:44 PM
Red Dawn.

Twycross
July 12, 2005, 03:52 PM
The Bourne Identity/Supremacy.

Frandy
July 12, 2005, 03:55 PM
Er...ahhh... How about Charles Burchinski playing an architect who "architects" some revenge in... Death Wish! :p

Rupestris
July 12, 2005, 04:03 PM
Sleeping with the Enemy comes to mind.

Terminator II

Pale rider

Wasn't there another late 70's movie where a battered wife dropped her husband with a shotgun at the end? I think it has Heather Locklear, or Angie Dickenson.

Nathanael_Greene
July 12, 2005, 04:14 PM
Road to Perdition

Double Jeopardy

Silver Streak (Gene Wilder as an action star!)

North by Northwest (though Cary Grant fired blanks)

Any Roy Rogers movie (or just about any horse opera, for that matter).

Casablanca

Gone With the Wind

(The further back you go, the easier it gets.)

bamawrx
July 12, 2005, 04:24 PM
"Aim small miss small" and "shoot the officers first" sounds like some guns being used for good to me. The Patriot.

xdoctor
July 12, 2005, 04:28 PM
Boondock Saints (If you've never seen it, rent it tonight.)

Snatch

*INSERT ANY WORDS HERE* of the dead.

Underworld

CAS700850
July 12, 2005, 04:32 PM
Can't believe I'm saying this first:

Michael Gross and Reba in Tremors.

Silver Bullet
July 12, 2005, 04:33 PM
Raiders of the Lost Ark

joab
July 12, 2005, 04:36 PM
I think Sleeping With the Enemy is the perfect example

Silver Bullet
July 12, 2005, 04:47 PM
Pretty much any movie with Elmer Fudd or Yosemite Sam, provided varmint removal meets your requirement of "used for good."

:)

33-805
July 12, 2005, 04:48 PM
The Hitcher, Rutger Hauer as the BG and some hollywood kid did him in pretty neatly at the end.

Bravo11
July 12, 2005, 04:57 PM
You beat me to the post Perry'63

"Red Dawn"

HankB
July 12, 2005, 04:59 PM
Last Man Standing, a gangster movie with Bruce Willis playing a "good" gangster character based on the Japanese movie Yojimbo.

Armed and Innocent, a made-for-TV movie in which an 11 year old kid, home alone, uses a .22 lever action to shoot and kill two violent intruders. (After the first half hour, the movie went downhill fast.)

April Morning, a made-for-TV movie in which a group of farmers fired "...the shot heard round the world..." to start the American Revolution.

The Cowboys, a John Wayne movie in which a group of young kids uses guns to take care of the bad guys who'd murdered the Duke.

Firearms have occasionally been used for good by civilians ranging from dropping bad guys to ordinary sport shooting on numerous TV shows including Dallas, The Beverly Hillbillies, Simon & Simon, The Rockford Files . . .

Red Tornado
July 12, 2005, 05:12 PM
Boondock Saints (If you've never seen it, rent it tonight.)

+1

I've also got to agree with Tremors I-III (IV, not so much). I was off-site this afternoon, so CAS beat me to it. :D

"The ones that made it on board, I handled with a combination of small arms fire and hand-to-hand techniques!" sic Bert Gummer
RT

psyopspec
July 12, 2005, 06:29 PM
True Romance

Man on Fire (though a former soldier)

Walking Tall

The Mummy

Tomb Raider

STW
July 12, 2005, 06:29 PM
The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid, wherein the Dalton and James brothers were shot to doll rags by the poor "defenseless" town folk.

ebd10
July 12, 2005, 06:48 PM
The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid, wherein the Dalton and James brothers were shot to doll rags by the poor "defenseless" town folk.

Actually, Northfield, MN was the James Gang, Coffeyville, KS was the Dalton Gang. Incidentally, the hero of the Coffeyville raid was a man named John Kloehr. Legend has it that he was a regular competitor at Schuetzenfests in his native Germany. He did manage to pick off one of the Daltons at 200 yards offhand, so it's possible....

RyanM
July 12, 2005, 06:56 PM
How about Taxi Driver? Blowing away criminals to save a 12 year old prostitute from a life of crime seems "good" to me.

dpesec
July 12, 2005, 07:03 PM
Gene Autry, I forgot the actor's name but the character was "The Darango Kid".
In today's movies, you could also say Open Range, Then again there's the traditional Duke Movie, Chisum.
There were many more in the period of 30-50. I think this is because there was a tradition of self-dependance that's missing today.
I'm sure I forgot some.

Hkmp5sd
July 12, 2005, 07:17 PM
Assassins

Desperado

Two Mules for Sister Sara

Hannie Caulder

Blade

Ronin

Van Helsing

Road House

cidirkona
July 12, 2005, 07:19 PM
Equilibrium (hehe just kidding).

Shawn of the Dead... (also just kidding)

Way of the Gun?

-Colin

jwhisler
July 12, 2005, 07:27 PM
-Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man...

can't think of the gun offhand, but it was the one Mickey Rourke had bored out

Dallas Jack
July 12, 2005, 07:39 PM
"The Trigger Effect"

Tory
July 12, 2005, 08:02 PM
"Straw Dogs" - Dustin Hoffman with a shotgun and boobytraps

"Rage" - George C. Scott gets answers and gives payback with an Armalite survival rifle.

""Aim small miss small" and "shoot the officers first" sounds like some guns being used for good to me. The Patriot."

Don't think so, Ace. Remember the conditions: NO soldiers, etc. Gibson was a militia officer well before he took on the redcoats.

IronLance
July 12, 2005, 08:04 PM
Quigley Down Under ("I am a native born Texican!")

Crossfire Trail

The Postman (C'mon, tell the truth. How many of you would like to see your wife or girlfriend squared up with a carbine (cloned XM-177) and busting caps like Olivia William's character when she's trying to off Bethlehem?)

Crocodile Dundee 2 (Love that thumbhole stock .303 target rifle)

Tory,

Gibson's character may have been militia, but the boys certainly were not. And they were the ones repeating the litany.

mcneill
July 12, 2005, 09:22 PM
"The Durango Kid" - IIRC, the actor was Charles Starrett.

Jim

Pilgrim
July 12, 2005, 10:49 PM
Sondra Locke in "Sudden Impact".

Pilgrim

Hardware
July 12, 2005, 10:56 PM
Hey, you guys forgot "Stop or my Mom will shoot."

KAR120C
July 13, 2005, 01:17 PM
To Kill a Mockingbird.

Atticus shoots a rabid dog. " didn't you know your daddy was the best shot in the county?"

fistful
July 13, 2005, 01:24 PM
Almost any western.

Duh.

Missourigunner
July 13, 2005, 01:28 PM
" The Sacketts" a made for TV Movie based on Louis L'amour's Books "The sacketts and Daybreakers"

Sharps Shooter
July 13, 2005, 02:47 PM
"Monty Walsh" with Tom Selleck - we watched it last night. Actually there was a LEO who used a gun in the movie. He was a US Marshal and he entered a bar full of cowboys with his gun drawn to arrest one of them without identifying himself. A friend of the cowboy killed the Marshal.
Some of the gunplay in the movie was typical Hollywood phoniness. Like when someone got shot with a rifle or a shotgun, they flew back several feet. Other than that, it was pretty decent. Kind of sad though.

twency
July 13, 2005, 02:52 PM
How about Stand by Me? A handgun serves as a dramatic force equalizer, as I recall.

-twency

griz
July 13, 2005, 03:16 PM
Open Range.

Fistful is right, many westerns.

If you enjoyed reading about "A movie trivia challenge..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!