"Concealed is concealed" -- but you got caught. What happened?

PDA

pax
July 13, 2005, 03:42 PM
Hey all,

I'm looking for stories of what happened when family, friends, or co-workers either found out you own guns for the first time, or caught you carrying.

Stand up & testify!

pax

If you enjoyed reading about ""Concealed is concealed" -- but you got caught. What happened?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HighVelocity
July 13, 2005, 03:51 PM
I'll never forget the day my Dad, who now lives in CA, was visiting and out of nowhere decides he's going to hug me. I don't think he has given me a hug since I was about 8 years old.
He says, is that a gun?! I said of course, what else would it be? I then told him that I have a license to carry it concealed and I carry at all times unless prohibited by law. He settled down pretty quick and asked me some questions about it and told me how much trouble it was to purchase handguns in CA. I told him he should move back to TX and I'd hook him up with the pistol of his choosing :evil:

Bravo11
July 13, 2005, 03:55 PM
First, everyone I know, knows that I'm into firearms. I keep American Rifleman mags on my desk and pics of the crew at the range on my corkboard.
When I first started CCW I went the grocery store one evening with my 1911
in a pancake holster. Some how my shirt got pulled up over my gun and I was
pretty much open carrying the whole time I was there. No one said anything but I always press check now.

rms/pa
July 13, 2005, 03:58 PM
ah yes, family reunion... hug from my aunt.... "is that a gun? i certainly hope you have reloads. your cousins are coming. " thanks auntie.

rms/pa

P95Carry
July 13, 2005, 04:05 PM
Most family and a few friends know re possession, and always have - tho in some cases probably no idea of the numbers! :p Only a select few know I carry.

I have to join the ''hug club'', having been made by a long time lady friend! :). S'OK, wife knows her!!

crucible
July 13, 2005, 04:06 PM
"is that a gun? i certainly hope you have reloads. your cousins are coming. "

Hehe :)

TarpleyG
July 13, 2005, 04:11 PM
I'm looking for stories of what happened when family, friends, or co-workers either found out you own guns for the first time, or caught you carrying.
Or how about Johnny Law??? We see it stated all the time but I have never heard of anyone that has been caught and what the outcome was.

Greg

Andrew Rothman
July 13, 2005, 04:12 PM
No one knows that I haven't told. Hooray for SmartCarry!

entropy
July 13, 2005, 04:12 PM
I usually make CCW's and LEO when they press check; most don't do it discreectly. If i was ever made, no one said anything. ;)

rms/pa
July 13, 2005, 04:27 PM
crucible.....
most of my family are good folk, and even the doofus cousins are good for family labor,brush clearing etc (never leave them alone with anything you don't want missing)

lets call them tom,dick and harry.
tom bought a gun safe and some nice guns with an insurance settlement from SEPTA.(they ran him over with a bus ,> damn he lived<)the safe he bolted into the concrete floor of his garage.
couple weeks later,the day after having dick over for beers he notices his garage door lock is busted and some tools are missing. next day he leaves for work, tells his boss he is sick and comes back home.
just in time to see the trailer hitch get ripped out of tom's pickup truck as tom and dick try to drag the safe loose. general thumping ensues tom and dick promise not to do this again.(they are good about not trying twice when caught)

rms/pa

MikeIsaj
July 13, 2005, 04:29 PM
caught you carryingThat makes it sound like I'm doing something wrong.

I've had numerous people "make" me over the years. When you are fat, it's hard to completly hide it. Since I'm not doing anything illegal, I don't worry.

Best story happened when I was in a major Philadelphia teaching hospital to visit my wife. In the elevator with two staffers I leaned against the railing and knocked the gun out of the holster. It fell on the floor between my feet. I said "oops!", picked it up and reholstered. Strange thing was, I expected a visit that never happened. I retired that holster.

spacemanspiff
July 13, 2005, 04:34 PM
mom only objects when i open carry.
brother thought it was cool until his girlfriend put a bug in his ear that a loaded holstered weapon on my hip was a danger to his kids.

friends either carry or support it.

a few co-workers discovered it when my shirt rode up. didnt make a big deal about it, but they did ask my supervisor if he knew i carried (which he did) and he doesn't mind as long as it stays concealed. supposedly some co-workers were 'uneasy' because of my collection of bullets scavenged at the range that were on display on my desk. but i think that was the retarded boss who was uneasy about it but didnt want to admit it, so he blamed someone else. happened all the time.

now co-workers come to me with their gun questions, and several want to go to the range or get some guidance on how to clean, what to buy, etc.

bigred0383
July 13, 2005, 04:35 PM
RMS...sounds like my family! :D

El Tejon
July 13, 2005, 04:38 PM
You mean there are people who don't carry? :uhoh: :D

Chicago-Kent College of Law, Professor Richard Kling's (yes, the dude on A&E) Forsenic Evidence class in a lecture on toolmark evidence.

"Mr. Freeman, you mean you have carried a gun?"

"No, Professor, many guns." :D

[Lots of wierd firearms b.s. in that class. Had a "ballistic expert" tell me that soft points were only made for pistol ammo because if it was made for rifle ammo, the bullet would "explode". I told him that I grew up shooting coyotes with .223 and .220 Swift softpoints. He just stood there].

Sam
July 13, 2005, 05:12 PM
Went to my 30 yr Class reunion in Mi. last weekend.
Ran into old flame and was greeted with enthusiasm, I found her 3" M60 at the same time she found my Commander :D . Kinda makes me wish I had paid her more attention back in the 70's. Got made 2 more times before the evening was over, same MO. One said nothing and gave me the look(knew me when I was an LEO, probably thinks I still work there), last one was starting to get rattled :what: , till I showed her the CCL and asked her to maintain low tones. Watched me like a hawk all night long :scrutiny: .

CCW RULE #1, :uhoh: do not carry in places where there is a lot of hugging going on.

CCW RULE #2 :cool: Pay more attention to your lady friends, early on.

Sam

Erich
July 13, 2005, 05:14 PM
Great one, Sam.

What did the wife think? :)

Taurus 66
July 13, 2005, 05:15 PM
"Is that a gun?"

"No, I'm just so happy to see you".

:D

Sam
July 13, 2005, 05:19 PM
Yes it is! And this back here is a pistol. :D

Sam

Sam
July 13, 2005, 05:24 PM
Gloria did not accompany me on that trip. Probably just as well I suspect.
Does not take much to get her intensified these days.

Sam

RUBZERK
July 13, 2005, 05:29 PM
I remember when i bought my first gun. When i walked in the house my wife asked what the carrying case was & i said a gun. she called me a "D!CK H#AD" smiled & said "Let me hold it"

When i got my CCW permit i took it to to show my step father & my mom made the comment "Everybody run' my son is packing"

hso
July 13, 2005, 06:06 PM
My daughter's little friend's mom asked my wife if there were any guns in the house. My wife laughed and told her that there was a whole assortment secured in what my daughter calls the "Danger Room" (my office), but she should discuss not touching any of the collectable knives on display in the living room with her little darling if she wanted to get all her parts back.

We went on vaction together with her family and when we were loading their van at our house she asked, "Is that a gun in the black case?", to which I replied, "That's an AR15. The pistol is in this case." :rolleyes:

waterhouse
July 13, 2005, 06:26 PM
I got caught by a girl back in college when a date went a little better than expected. She kind of freaked out at first, but calmed down pretty quickly.

For the next couple of months anytime there was a strange noise at the sorority house there was a knock on her bedroom door: "Can the guy with the gun come check something out for us real quick."

BigRedBowtie
July 13, 2005, 06:52 PM
I am on the youth staff at our church. While out on an activity, I was crawling out of a bumper-car, and my cover was not firmly in place. Well I had a black t-shirt on, which would have made the Kel-tec nearly invisible in the dark room, but I had my stainless .45 on, so it contrasted quite nicely... Only one 8th-grader saw, but he SAW :what:

"What's that?!?"
"Don't worry about it."
"I know what that was."
"Ok, yes- that's what it was. I have a permit and it's legal. Most of the kids in the youth group don't know, so please don't talk to them about it."

He walked away kinda shellshocked, but I never heard anything from any parents on it, which kinda surprised me...

On hugging- I'm 6'4", but I always go for the "crossed" hug. Right arm low, left arm high. Sometimes it's akward, especially with shorter ladies, but not neary as akward as the alternative explanation! I also often go for the one-armed hug... YMMV

Tom Servo
July 13, 2005, 07:13 PM
Once by a Fulton County Marshall, who just pointed out that I was "pokin' out in the back there." Ended up having a loooonng conversation about German firearms :)

One other time, I was at the local (small-town) Post Office. One of the locals recognized me and decided to make small talk, so in front of about 20-25 people in line, he asks, "so, packin' heat today?" I just gritted my teeth and said, "I...left...it...at...home...now...shut...up." Got alot of impolite stares from the staff, but nobody asked to frisk me.

Nobody EVER wants to frisk me. I get so lonely sometimes...

chenzzo
July 13, 2005, 08:06 PM
Recently went out to dinner with my whole family including my wife and son, ny brother and his family, my parents and my grandparents during the storms resulting from Hurricane Dennis.

As we got back from dinner, I went ahead of everyone into the house to make sure my gun hadn't gotten wet. I was all alone in the house wiping down my pistol when my grandfather suddenly walks in the room. He just says "did your gun get wet?" and then proceeded to sit down and watch tv.

No "why are you carrying a gun" or anything like that.

Granted, he is retired from law enforcement and the national guard, but I've never told him I had a permit to carry. It was just one of the things that make me remember why I love my Grandpa. When he told me later about his WW2 era Remignton 1911, it made me hope he loved me back :)

-chenzzo

CleverNickname
July 13, 2005, 09:12 PM
mom only objects when i open carry

My grandmother was a bit concerned one time after she hugged my younger brother and found he was carrying concealed. She thought it was still illegal to carry concealed in AZ and thought he had to open carry. She didn't seem especially concerned that he was carrying, just that he do it legally.

She hugged me goodbye right before him, but I wasn't made. :cool:

Buzztail
July 13, 2005, 10:04 PM
In my early 20s I got made from time to time while living in ATL. Then again I was #135 and had a habbit of carrying 5" 1911s or a mod 610 Smith in a belt slide under a T-shirt. I'm seldom made now (maybe the extra #35 and better leather) I wear long sleeved (I'm heavily tattooed) somewhat baggy shirts most of the time now. Still love 5" Govts, and wish I had that 610 back.

epijunkie67
July 13, 2005, 10:26 PM
Waterhouse
"For the next couple of months anytime there was a strange noise at the sorority house there was a knock on her bedroom door: "Can the guy with the gun come check something out for us real quick.""

:evil: Best get close scam ever.

RevDisk
July 13, 2005, 11:48 PM
I had a shirt snag a little bit and ride up, once or twice. Tis about it.

Or how about Johnny Law??? We see it stated all the time but I have never heard of anyone that has been caught and what the outcome was.

Well... Sorta. I had an FBI agent ask if I was carrying. I said, "Yea...", a bit more than confused. She asked me what caliber I carried. .40 S&W, usually. She starts snickering and makes a couple comments about .45 being so much better. She also flamed me, mildly, for carrying FMJ.

Sigh. Women...

Bob F.
July 14, 2005, 12:48 AM
Ist Anniv of 9/11. Not allowed to carryat work but the crew I worked with all pretty much knew a handgun was never further away than my truck; 50-75'. On a couple occassions the boss's sis who was also his office manager called my extention and told me to make a quick trip to my truck, which usually meant an unsavory looking character lurking about. Our business attracted druggies. Anyway, on 9/11 I dug out an ankle holster, and tucked the Makarov in. Sitting at lunch with black slacks, black shoes & socks, legs stretched out, secretary says" Gotta a bulge on that ankle." Very matter of fact, in front of several others. Nobody cared, but psychologist asked, "anything to do with 9/11?" "Yeah, seemed like a good idea." The girl that made me was the only one present without a college degree. And believe me, the Mak was not obvious.

Always try to hug with my right arm under her left, forcing her hand up. Missed once. SHe said "OH!! Ah, yeah, you're carrying" She was at the above lunch, but had forgotten. This was at a grocery store after I'd changed jobs.

Stay safe, (and concealed)
Bob

Technosavant
July 14, 2005, 01:11 AM
Came close once, had to reveal it once.

I had my 5" 1911 in my Milt Sparks VM2 in tuckable mode one morning (not a comfy way to carry at all). My father noticed that my shirt had a bulge in it, but he didn't press the issue. I wore a suit jacket over it; nobody else noticed.

A couple weeks ago my father was bragging about how much weight he had lost, and was showing off how his belt was much tighter now. He went to put it around me, and was gloating that I was an inch or so bigger around the waist than he was. I then showed him that it was because of my 1911 and 2 magazines. His jaw dropped.

Stickjockey
July 14, 2005, 01:37 AM
Sigh. Women...

So, Rev, you get her number?

First time was when Mom had come up from Santa Fe with her then boyfriend (she and Dad had been divorced for a while) for a visit, and we decided to go to a movie. We were coming out of the theatre, when before I knew it she was snaking her arm around me for a hug. She was on my left; pistol on the right. Fingers hit butt (of the pistol, you pervy wankers!), Mom goes :eek: and says, right out loud in the middle of the parking lot, "Is that a GUN!? "Mom, not so loud! Yes it is, and I'm licensed so it's okay," says I. :rolleyes:

peacefuljeffrey
July 14, 2005, 02:32 AM
I notice how a lot of people who had been made followed up quickly with, "I'm licensed, so it's okay."

Why?

Is it NOT okay if one is NOT licensed?

Oh, Bravo11, are you sure you want Lynyrd Skynyrd in your sig line? Why use that line, when they have such better songs :rolleyes: like the one about dumping all the handguns into the ocean before someone kills us with them?

-Jeffrey

chris in va
July 14, 2005, 04:03 AM
Is it NOT okay if one is NOT licensed?

Yup. You need a license in most states.

But the term 'okay' is pressed on us by lawmakers, not good people trying to defend themselves.

berettashotgun
July 14, 2005, 08:05 AM
Everyone I work with AWLAYS wants to know "what kinda gun you got today? :eek: "My old boss was a Marine qualifing instructor and we always used the solvent tank to clean our AR's and 1911's.Just like the old days.......

Browns Fan
July 14, 2005, 09:15 AM
Quote:
"do not carry in places where there is a lot of hugging going on."

Wrong. Wherever alot of hugging is anticipated, use deep concealment techniques.

Ukraine Train
July 14, 2005, 09:31 AM
For a couple months after I got my permit (at 21) my mom tried to guilt trip me about it, saying that she's constantly worried, but she never tried to forbid me from getting it. Now she's pretty apathetic about it. I haven't been "made" in public, yet anyway.

Matt G
July 14, 2005, 10:26 AM
. He settled down pretty quick and asked me some questions about it and told me how much trouble it was to purchase handguns in CA. I told him he should move back to TX and I'd hook him up with the pistol of his choosing What a good son. Offer him something nice, if he'll move back to the Promised Land. :)

dpesec
July 14, 2005, 10:46 AM
I was out shopping and my ex girlfriend saw me. Before I could direct her arms, she gave me a big hug. Well she flet the M9 and the mags. The look of shock hit her face. She looked at me and I said yep.
She left like I had the plague.
Loved it.
My new girlfriend knows I carry, and becuse of Ohio's "plain sight" in the car I don't bother to retuck my shirt in when I visit her. Honestly, dispite she doens't like firearms, I think she feels more comfortable.

dakotasin
July 14, 2005, 11:09 AM
i was going thru a traffic checkpoint, probably a dui check, but don't recall now. officer asked to see my license, and saw my cwp when i went to dig out my license. asked me if i was carrying, and i told him i was. he asked what i was carrying, and i told him it was a 1911. we had a very brief discussion on colt 1911's vs. glock (his duty gun), and that was it.

another time i was walking w/ my then girlfriend (wife now) in a mall. she went to put her arm around my waist and ended up w/ her hand on the grip of my 1911. she said 'oh! well...ok, i'll just hold your hand, then.' at the time she knew i was into guns, but didn't know i carried. also, at the time, she was mildly anti on rkba, and rabidly anti-hunting. it was a turning point in the relationship. later that same day, we had an incident at a drive-thru which caused her to do a 180 on rkba, and between 'seeing' me carry and the incident, it directly lead her to carry, too...

i'm sure i've been made other times, but nobody has ever mentioned it to me, so if they knew, they either vacated the area, or just didn't care...

Khaotic
July 14, 2005, 12:10 PM
I carry at least 3 knives on me most of the time, ok?
Combat knife in fast-draw style, a holdover from before I was old enough to legally pack heat, a 'tool' knife for all those useful things ya need one for, and a tiny sleeve dagger for opening packages, letters, and purchases.
(Also noted, a sparky strip for starting fires when the morons at the bonfire can't seem to find a match! :mad: )

I'll note that with todays overpackaging, I tend to be in demand when someone buys one of those impossible-to-open security sealed, stamped plastic containers, like PS2 memory cards come in.

"Dude, gimme a knife..." is a rather common phrase amongst my friends, thus, one can imagine... no one with ANY sense hugs me, nope.

Add in that I teach personal defense (a minimalist, non-professional style, just the basics) and thus might likely be carrying various tools of that trade as well - everyone just flat assumes I have an arsenal tucked away in my pockets and no one I know has a problem with it.

The only real run-in with johnny law was a case of mistaken vehicle, since a nearly identical 50cc motorbike to the one I was riding had just been stolen.
Told the lady I was *ahem* geared up, and asked her to stand back while I emptied my pockets of weapons and sharp objects as she asked... this took a minute or two ;) and she was glaring at me sideways the whole while.

We sorted it, but the local PD always assumed I was some kind of nihilistic survivalist-type after that... I guess they never tried to ride a 50cc through the inner city, eh ?

-K

Hemicuda
July 14, 2005, 12:25 PM
i was once told that my gun was "printing" by a local cop... i smiled and said "good, now i can start it on cursive"... he smiled and said "good answer, now, hide it" i did, he smiled, and walked away... never even asked to see my permit... kinda a good experience...

Ukraine Train
July 14, 2005, 12:39 PM
dakotasin,

Funny you should mention an incident in a drive-thru, I just read this article earlier today: http://www.whiotv.com/news/4703743/detail.html

A Cleaner
July 14, 2005, 01:02 PM
Not made, but nearly. Buddy comes up to give me a hug after not seeing me for a good long while. After doing the obligatory "back slap" that us guys must do in order to make hugging in public ok, his hand drops and hits my pistol grip, small of back. Being comfortable with him (pro-gun) and knowing he'll keep quiet I say, "...whadya think?" To which he replies, "...about what?" What a SLOW-HEAD! I'm then required to cover up on the spot so I say, "About my idea for your bachelor party?" He had no clue. I was actually a little disappointed.

Also, me carrying concealed makes the girlfriend nervous, so we go 'round sometimes because I won't stop cc. Then, I'm talkin' to good ol' mom the other day and find out she fully approves of concealed carry. Yeah, mom!

SJG26
July 14, 2005, 01:33 PM
and a grab and got a real surprised look on her face. Let me clarify - she was always a bit more than just friendly - ran into each other at a park walking our dogs.

Did I mention that I had my PM9 in a Smart Carry that day :what: ??

Needless to say it was a don't ask/don't tell situation!

LiquidTension
July 14, 2005, 01:36 PM
The only people that hug me are people that know I carry. I leave it in the car at family gatherings just to avoid all the questions even though the family is from the South and very into hunting.

I did have a girl stumble over it one time when we were getting it on.
"Is that a gun?"
"Yeah."
"Well, take it off."
I did, and we continued our...uh, activity.

Strings
July 14, 2005, 01:58 PM
>"Is that a gun?"
"Yeah."
"Well, take it off."<

Was that a "take it off 'cause I don't like it" or "take it off 'cause it's in the way"? :evil:

pax
July 14, 2005, 02:03 PM
Hunter,

Given that they continued their ... activity ... I'd have guessed the latter. :D :D

pax

Koba
July 14, 2005, 02:34 PM
I had a girlfriend years ago who was "made" by a cop in ********** who was holding the door open for her at a restaraunt. He put his hand on the small of her back to guide her through the door...he squeezed the gun...and said nothing. He was escorting her because she had a stalker who had been threatening to kill her. It was a little .22 I had loaned her. That was before total "gun hysteria" had been created in ********** by the Marxist Media.
I often "carry" in a rugged looking black shoulder bag...I call it the "Bag of Death". It holds my holstered, comped, Lasermaxed, Glock 32 with 15 round mag stuffed full of CorBon hollowpoints, an extra mag, a 4 oz. can of Fox brand pepper spray with fogger top, a pointed steel pen, and if not in my pocket, a Cold Steel fully serrated 12" mega-folder. Also in the bag is a small high quality voice recorder with fresh batteries that can be secretly clicked on to document evidence if needed later for legal reasons.
The bag is thick, so it doesn't "print", doesn't get "hugged", or messed with. The bag has several tactical advantages:
The shoulder strap can be adjusted so it hangs right at the level of my draw and shoot hand for rapid deployment. Another use I call the "muggers surprise". If you are confronted with gun toting mugger, he has the drop on you...BUT...as you grovel before him, begging him not to kill you, fumbling frantically for your "wallet" in your bag...as the bottom of it swivels up in his direction....four 125 grain hollowpoints traveling at 1450 feet per second exit the bottom of the bag and blow out the center of his chest. He is dead before he can pull his trigger.

Koba
July 14, 2005, 02:51 PM
An unfortunate aquaintance who was forced to live in ********** had this tale of woe to tell:
Driving to work late one night, he was stopped by the local police for a supposed traffic violation. He had inadvertantly left his range bag with gun behind the passenger seat after a visit to the range a day before. It had gotten covered by some bags of stuff, and he had forgotten it was there. One cop shined his light through a rear window and spotted a tiny bit of the bag visible under the stuff. He was ordered out of the car, the car searched, the gun found, handcuffed, taken to jail for the night, charged with two firearm violations, lost the gun, a thousand bucks for a good attorney, a 400 dollar fine, and hours of time and dignity. But he got off easy: they had wanted 10 days in jail, a 1500 dollar fine, and lose all his gun rights. Being a solid citizen with a clean record and an aggressive attorney saved his ass.
He stated afterward, that he realized that being mugged would have been easier: just a few bucks in the wallet, a few moments of fear, and it would be all over. Then he realized...he had "mugged" by the State of **********!! And it was worse than what a crook would have done.
The poor guy is still trying to get out of that Liberal Occupied Zone.

Bart Noir
July 14, 2005, 03:13 PM
Koba, what were the charges? Guy couldn't say he was going/coming from the range, so he was illegal? Or is it just illegal there to even try to get your gun to the range?

Bart Noir

entropy
July 14, 2005, 03:18 PM
four 125 grain hollowpoints traveling at 1450 feet per second exit the bottom of the bag and blow out the center of his chest. He is dead before he can pull his trigger.

Koba, have you ever practiced this type of firing? I have and found it works great with revolvers, but semis tend to jam in the confines of a loaded shoulder bag (gym bag) I buy cheap bags at garage sales for a quarter or so, and have done these tests. I wouldn't count on four rounds without an FTF due to either stuff in the bag or the bag's material itself. And I certainly wouldn't count of them not being able to fire back. :rolleyes:

PS: Those hollowpoints wouldn't be hollow after exiting the bag.

Koba
July 14, 2005, 04:08 PM
Good points, I have tried to cover them:
The bag is smaller, about 7"x 10" and very "stiff", kind of like a camera bag, with smooth ballistic nylon dividing it into two inner compartments. The other stuff has it's own smaller zippered or velcroed compartments on the outside of the bag. The gun is kept alone in it's own center compartment. I have tested it, and the walls are stiff enough that they don't grab the slide; in fact, the blast puffs out the compartment, and keeps the sides away from the slide. The bottom is completely destroyed by the bullets and blast. Of course, with this method the gun can't be holstered in the bag, it must be sitting "loose".
Despite these tactics, yes, they probably would be able to fire back, due to shock and adrenalin, even if their heart was blown out. I have started thinking about combining movement with this tactic...jumping to one side a second after you pull the trigger...and keep moving...it's still pretty dicey...I'd rather just give them the money.
I was thinking of carrying a "fake" wallet, with old cards, and monopoly money, to pull out, and throw on the ground in front of them while backing away while they are distracted, focusing on the wallet...still very dicey stuff...very...life and death for both would hanging on a thin edge...

entropy
July 14, 2005, 04:18 PM
Better yet would be to develop situational awareness to be able to avoid such situations as much as possible. ;)

Koba
July 14, 2005, 04:28 PM
In the once great state of **********, the laws go like this:
Concealed carry permits even in rural areas are very difficult to get, you must fill out several pages of paperwork, and provide a "good reason" such as known death threats from stalkers, ex-spouses, etc. You must take an 8 hour class, and wait 2 or 3 months while they decide whether you are worthy of defending your own life. The ********** Propaganda Machine, or "Big Lib Media", have successfully brainwashed the population into having a subconscious fear of gun ownership. Permits are almost never given in places like LA or SF, unless you are a celebrity or a judge or other member of the Ruling Lib Elite.
To transport a gun in a vehicle, it must be unloaded and stored in a locked container, separate from the ammunition.
The unfortunate peasant caught while inadvertantly excersising his Second Amendment Rights was charged with a "loaded concealed weapon" and "a loaded concealed weapon in a vehicle" both misdemeaners under Occupation Authority Rules. And oh yes, he was also charged with possession of a "tear gas weapon" by having a tiny mace spray that was over **********'s 2.5 oz. limit.
Even if you have a legal gun in ********** and can legally carry it, using it almost guarantees you will be charged with a crime by the local anti-gun King's Kangaroo Kourt, or sued by the low life's scum family for wrongfull death or the like.
In **********, criminals are a legally protected class, especially if they are from certain minority groups. They basiclly are allowed to do whatever they want against individuals; any interference with their activities will bring the full weight of the police, courts and media against you.
That is why I live elsewhere.

M99M12
July 14, 2005, 04:50 PM
I love Vermont, durn it. :neener:

Battlespace
July 14, 2005, 05:06 PM
Gosh, my story is not nearly as glamorous as some that have been posted. I was in Wally World getting some dog food one night, carrying my full size 1911 in a Galco holster that rides fairly high. I had a light jacket over it, but when I went to pay at the register it must have pulled up some as the 5 YO or so kid behind me in line exclaimed to his mother "that man is a policeman, I see his gun" loud enough that his mother smiled and turned a light shade of red. I just nodded, paid for the dog food and headed to the door.

brian roberts
July 14, 2005, 05:35 PM
had some trouble with an undesirable once, and stopped in to the headquarters of the local PD to see a sergeant i knew. got out of the car, that was pulled up to one of the double-sided curbs, & over at the next one over there were three detectives, standing there talking. i had an M19S&W & an M60 on, & stepped out, got right up on the curb, when the 60, which had ridden up in an IWB, decided to do some free-fall. so, it bounces down on the cement, :uhoh: & as i'm looking at it & reaching for it, i can see in my peripheral vision, these three giving me BIG GRINS. i uttered a curse, & hear one say to me, "sure is hard on the equipment..." i hadn't heard it clearly so said "WHAT??" he repeated it as i was shoving the sky-diver in my pocket, then, in a conversational shout i said, "not to mention my f' kin' NERVES" & kept on my way. when i told the sergeant inside, he just laughed & said, "hell, they probably thought you were undercover". ;) guess i was :cool:

Buzztail
July 14, 2005, 05:35 PM
i was once told that my gun was "printing" by a local cop... i smiled and said "good, now i can start it on cursive"... he smiled and said "good answer, now, hide it" i did, he smiled, and walked away... never even asked to see my permit... kinda a good experience... :D Good Stuff

dasmi
July 14, 2005, 06:11 PM
I recently open carried my Service Six on a road trip to the Grand Canyon. Stopped in Prescott to see my uncle. Now, remember, this is OPEN CARRY. Big .357 magnum revolver on my hip. After about ten minutes in his home, talking and laughing, he suddenly looks down at me, and says "Dave, what is that on your hip? I know you're in Arizona, but COME ON!"

Barbara
July 14, 2005, 08:17 PM
Once at the grocery store when my nephew was smaller and I was wearing a zip up sweater, he jumped up, grabbed the zipper, pulled it all the way down and the sweater open. No one else saw it but him but the look on his face was priceless. He did that little boy big eyed round mouth thing and said "Oops!"

Hilarious.

carebear
July 14, 2005, 08:22 PM
Is there a firearm in that story Barbara?

Or just some guns? :evil:

Stevie-Ray
July 14, 2005, 08:51 PM
Or how about Johnny Law??? We see it stated all the time but I have never heard of anyone that has been caught and what the outcome was. Not exactly "caught," but during our bid for a neighborhood watch, the liaison officer came to my house to do the presentation to the block representatives. While waiting for everyone to show up, we got to talking about guns and he asked, "What do you carry?" I showed him, and he presented his little off-duty sixgun. We talked guns for the next 10 minutes until the meeting started. He was a great guy, and I felt good that he felt so at ease in my house.

Barbara
July 14, 2005, 09:05 PM
Ermm..that sounded bad. I had a t-shirt on, with an IWB holster and then a sweater over top. :o

carebear
July 14, 2005, 09:17 PM
I liked it better the first way. :p

Barbara
July 14, 2005, 10:09 PM
:neener:

Strings
July 15, 2005, 01:23 AM
carebear... you perv! Suggesting such is NOT nice...

Unless, of course, there are pictures involved. Then sign me up! :neener:

Although I wasn't "made" (as I wasn't carrying, per Wisconsin law), I had an interesting discussion with a couple county deputies at the county fair one year. I'm standing there in chinos and t shirt, and we're talking about their side-arms. One of em looks me over and asks "so... what are you carrying?" :what:

I sidestepped (told him I couldn't in what I was wearing, unless I somehow borrowed mom's .380), but that I would be packing my 1991 Compact .45 when/if we ever got CCW. He seemed to think that was a good answer...

bigun15
July 15, 2005, 01:35 AM
(Yes I know this quote was made a while ago, but I just realized something about it)

I found her 3" M60 at the same time she found my Commander

When you say she found your Commander, you mean gun right?

PaladinVC
July 15, 2005, 02:09 AM
Mine falls into the "unexpectedly successful date" category. Went to a film with a lady friend of mine wearing a fairly heavy leather jacket to protect against cold and printing. It even hid my USP through a hug. But when she invited me in, it became a little strange that I wouldn't take off my coat. The only time I'd been without it that night was in the darkened theater.

Not wanting to be rude, I explained the situation to her. She didn't approve, exactly, but she didn't kick me out, either. ;)

Zach S
July 15, 2005, 09:34 AM
I smoke, therefore I carry a lighter. People steal lighters (either on purpose or by accident, I'm bad to steal pens without realizing it), therefore I carry a BUL (back up lighter;)).

I'm in downtown Asheville for some odd reason one night, and someone asks me for a light. My BUL was carried in the same pocket as my spare mag, and when I grabbed my lighter, my magazine hit the sidewalk :uhoh: Dude picked it up for me, looked at it for a sec, then handed it back as I handed him my lighter. We exchanged thank yous, he gave my lighter back, and I went on about my night. I dont think anyone noticed, not even the drunk I loaned my lighter too...

keyhole
July 15, 2005, 12:43 PM
Was stopped by Oklahoma Highway Patrol one night. Asked what I did , ( he was writing me a warning ) so I told him. ( deputy) Then asked if I was carrying, told him yes, asked, "NOW?", again yes. Then "ON YOU??". Again yes. Got all bent out of shape, but I figured that his own turf, and wasn't goin to give him a lesson on what concealed carry means. :fire:

Found out from a bud on OKCPD that the troop had several incidents, involving shootings, and they were pretty jumpy. Still no reason to get all bent outta shape.

NineseveN
July 15, 2005, 02:06 PM
Went out with some friends to a bar one night a while back when I was single. Since I always carry, I pretty much don't drink in public (and if I do, I don't carry really). So anyway, I had my Walther P99 on my hip feeling comfy as ever, watching some gals bumpin and a grindin on top of the bar. They were smoking hot. So anyway, one of the female co-workers I went with leaned into me and said into my ear, "that's hot, huh, the girls?".

My repsonse, "mmmhmmm." <insert big grin> - she was not bad at all herslef. :D

She just smiles and starts kissing my neck, so I'm like, okay, I can go with this. Anyway. I drive them all back home later that night and the gal that I was getting friendly with I left for last, on purpose hehe. When we get to her place, I walk her to the door (like I did with all the ladies). When she opens the door she just pulls me in and we start going at it like a bunch of pigs. When she goes to remove my belt, her hands find my Walther P99. She lifted up my shirt, saw what it was and said, "Okay, you take care of that, I'll take care of this" and gave me a wink.

I don't need to say what she was holding onto when she said "this", you get the idea. But I slid that P99 onto the night stand as fast as I think i've ever moved. She wasn't even fazed by it.

My current GF, whom I love dearly, bless her heart, thinks I'm a bit paranoid. I don't help matters, cleaning my FAL in the living room on a whim, wearing my USP while cooking with no cover shirt. When she saw me loading my USP 45C mags, she said, "Damn, those are big friggen bullets, what do you need something that big for?"

My response:

"Well, you never get a second chance to make a first impression" ;)

She's cool though, she's totaly accomodating to my CCW and defensive habits. Always walks on my weak side (she remembers to do this and reminds me even when I forget and go for her hand with my right hand). She always chooses the seat with her back to the door/entrance in public and let's me face the door etc...

Good stories thus far everyone, keep them coming.

dasmi
July 15, 2005, 02:16 PM
"Well, you never get a second chance to make a first impression"
Ha! I like that. I'm going to use next time someone comments on the size my .357 magnums.

TallPine
July 15, 2005, 02:28 PM
I had a guy ask me about it - discreetly - one time. I was carrying OWB as always and just had a sweatshirt covering the grip. He advised me that I ought to keep it in plain sight unless I had a permit. I explained that you don't need a concealed permit outsided of city limits in Montana. It's amazing what people don't know...

Working Man
July 15, 2005, 08:03 PM
My girl knew I had a CHL but did not relize I always had my CCW.
We hadn't seen each other for a while so she gave me a big hug
and put her hand right on it.

She look at me with a big smile and said "where's mine?" :D

Brian41
July 15, 2005, 11:14 PM
first time i got made was easter sunday-- the whole fam damily was over at my grandmother's house-- i'd had my CCW for about 9 months (still 21 and in college at the time). Anyway, i'm making hamburger patties for lunch, so my sleeves are rolled up and the vest with the 3 piece suit i was wearing had ridden up over the butt of my P89, and my 9 year old cousin says, "are you a police man?" to which i reply.... nope. I then locked my piece in the glove box in the truck. It ends up i lucked out in family. One uncle and my grandpa are avid hunters, and the other uncle, anunt, both their daughters, and one of teh daughters husbands all worked for the sherif's dept, so all the guys in teh family sit around and talk guns during holiday dinners.

another time i was made was driving my sister's little sports car. As this was before i had received my permit via snail mail, the gun was in a holster muzzle down between the driver's seat and the console, as you can carry in a car when openly visible in GA, with out a permit.... sketchy looking guy in delivery truck next to me shuts down his disel engine at the stop light to ask me "hey...what kind is that, man?" which i quickly replied 9mm, and continued to wait for a green light.

ctdonath
July 16, 2005, 03:02 PM
My interest in guns is hard to conceal from friends/family, especially as for years my summer vacation was LFI, Storm Mountain, etc.

When "made" by those close to me, it usually involved a funny and knowing look, just a screwey smile and a nod. Being a bunch of introverts, I'm not sure who in my family actually knows when I carry.

The wierdest was a pastor who made some roundabout comments and anecdotes from the pulpit about church not being a place for weapons - and did so looking straight at me.

What's sometimes funny is how being "made" doesn't always include full comprehention. My wife expressed her surprise upon finding a handgun while pawing thru my luggage on vacation ... woulda flipped if she found the other two.

There's some kids at my brother's church who know my weapons interest (I've spent some good hours talking to them about it). One kid INSISTS on trying to find my carry piece, and does so kinda loudly. He hasn't found it.

rudolf
July 16, 2005, 10:41 PM
When she goes to remove my belt, her hands find my Walther P99. She lifted up my shirt, saw what it was and said, "Okay, you take care of that, I'll take care of this" and gave me a wink.

Now that's a smart girl. Instead of asking whether it's a gun OR you're happy, she found the gun AND found you were happy.

NineseveN
July 17, 2005, 01:17 AM
:d

mmike87
July 17, 2005, 01:26 AM
Everyone I work with and know with any degree of regularity knows I carry. Surprisingly, even the ones who are not overly gun friendly don't seem to care if I carry a gun, as long as they don't have to.

Perhaps they think I'll save them ...

Sean85746
July 17, 2005, 01:39 AM
I was at Wally World in Chandler, AZ last week with my wife, daughter, and best friend who was in town from Michigan.

I had my Colt Commander in a pancake rig behind my right hip where whatever I am carrying always rides (Why complicate matters and carry in different spots?).

My 15-month old daughter decided to lift my shirt as I walked by the shopping cart.

"Oh my GAWD, is that a gun? What are you carrying a gun for? Are you a cop? Do you have a permit?" All in rapid fire from an eastern sounding middle-aged couple who happened to be fawning upon the little hurricane of a daughter who had just de-cloaked her Daddy.

"Yes it is...Because I can...Retired Federal Officer...Yes I do" I answered in the order in which I was asked the questions.

I guess I will have to stay OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN when I am packing at Wally World from now on.

Matthew748
July 17, 2005, 07:45 AM
First off, I cannot carry due to state laws.

I grew up with guns, so no one in the the family thought anything was out of the ordinary. I work in a small office and the topic of firearms came up one day. I was kind of suprised by the general feeling about firearms there. My boss said that he does not think there should be any restrictions on firearms considering the fact that criminals seem to have no trouble arming themselves though illegal means. 2 other workers expressed an interest in firearms, but had no experience with them. A third co-worker was born and raised in Indiana.

Ryder
July 17, 2005, 08:31 AM
Never been found out but I did have a new gun tumble out of it's temporary fabric holster a couple times before I was able to obtain a stiff leather formfitted holster.

carebear
July 17, 2005, 01:07 PM
My boss said that he does not think there should be any restrictions on firearms considering the fact that criminals seem to have no trouble arming themselves though illegal means. 2 other workers expressed an interest in firearms, but had no experience with them. A third co-worker was born and raised in Indiana.

Thus, their feelings about guns go without saying. :evil:

El Tejon
July 17, 2005, 01:10 PM
Darn gun-totin' Hoosiers. :p

CAPTAIN MIKE
July 17, 2005, 05:31 PM
Although I occasionally open carry, I carry concealed most of the time. Like others on this forum, I like the tactical advantage it gives me and I have made every effort to be 'prudent' in my choice of clothing and sidearms so that I am less likely to print, etc.

Pretty much, you can avoid being 'detected' if wear the proper clothing, choose the correct arm (and go underneath) when hugging a relative, or turn your body to don a cover garment when getting out of your vehicle, etc.

I've done all that. I've prided myself on not being 'found out' unless I want to be. If someone learns that I'm carrying at that particular moment, it's because I choose to reveal the fact in the context of the conversation we're having about CCW in general, etc. or because I'm talking to a gunshop owner about wanting a new holster.

On the other side of the coin, I have "made" several others - mostly because of Situational Awarness and always "looking for" the telltale signs.

Dorin62
July 17, 2005, 09:09 PM
One night I was shopping in our local Wally-World with my wife and two daughters, the wife ask's would you go get some dog food. I walked past the slower older couple in front of me and bent over to pick up the 50lb bag, stood up straight and put the bag on my shoulder. In the process the bag caught my coat and pulled it up and over the top of my full size 1911, and left it between the grip and my shirt, quickly covered up and looked to see if they noticed. If they did they did'nt bat a eye but they would have blind not to see it. :what:

dasmi
July 17, 2005, 09:21 PM
Lift with your legs!

studebaker
July 19, 2005, 08:08 PM
With a flat auto in a proper pocket holster, it's considered to be a wallet, if anyone notices at all.

Red_SC
September 28, 2007, 03:07 PM
I only know of being 'made' once. I sit in front of a man in church that knows how much I shoot. One day he came up to my wife and asked if I carried a pistol. She asked why, and he said that every time we stood up to sing a song he would notice a black clip on my belt with nothing on it. He would always wonder what it was, and that's all he could think of. There was always a fullsize 1911 on the other side of that clip, but he couldn't see it. Now there's a compact 1911 inside that same black clip.

I've had a couple of other people ask me what the clip was, mostly kids, but they never associated it with a gun. "It's a just a holder to carry stuff.":scrutiny:

edit: sorry, old post- posted in the wrong window!:o

QUICK_DRAW_McGRAW
September 28, 2007, 03:13 PM
was having coffe with a family friend ive known since birth she is pretty much my sister. well this was in arizona so i always carried openly. she giv eme a hug and we talk and walk into starbucks. took about 10 minutes then in the middle of starbucks in line she looks down and almost yells "IS THAT A GUN". yes its a 9mm, i always carry. "you know what your mom is gonna say right", well she knows.

then my grandfather got mad at me for carring but without one in the whole, he says whats a gun worth if its not loaded. (ex marine and police officer)

everyone else has been cool other then my boss at work so i just lock it in my tool box.

Bazooka Joe71
September 28, 2007, 03:30 PM
Darn gun-totin' Hoosiers

Gotta love it.:D

cmidkiff
September 28, 2007, 03:44 PM
Never been spotted in public... hope to keep it that way.

I was pulled over on the highway once a few years back, driving across MO with one of my daughters, who was 13 at the time. Officer for some unknown reason 'invited' me to sit in his car with him. I mentioned to him that I was armed, he asked me to put it in the glove box. I pulled my P3AT and pocket holster and placed the whole thing in the box, and joined him in his vehicle. He didn't write me a ticket or anything, I think he suspected that I had been drinking... I was driving kinda slow, but I was simply in an unfamiliar place, looking for a turn.

I'm still unsure why he would want me to pull my weapon, seems to me it would be a much safer idea to simply leave it where it was. Also, as the glove box didn't lock, I was leaving a loaded firearm within arms reach of an unsupervised 13 year old child. That's something I was sure as heck not comfortable with.

Anyway, when I got back in my car, my daughter looked at me and said 'I didn't know you carried a gun!'. I got a few questions from my other children shortly after that trip.

TacoMalo
September 28, 2007, 03:47 PM
If I get busted it'll be because my wife has the habit of putting her arm around me at the store and always manages to grab the shirt right on my HK so the grip stands out nice and big for anyone paying attention. I keep telling her to stop doing that but she's not tuned to my frequency unless it's a jewelry store or some fancy clothes shop... the loss prevention thingy's at the door are meant to block out our common sense so that when she asks you for a 2K set of earrings you won't have the presence of mind to say ":what:hell no do you know how much ammo that is?" instead you say "yes dear" cheaper to keep her I guess.. :)

jfh
September 28, 2007, 04:19 PM
About twelve years ago or so, I had a shall-issue permit here in MN, based on carrying to and from the Range with guns and ammo, as an Instructor. I tended to stretch those range trips a bit--

So, one evening, my (then-) wife and I were at the Guthrie, and I was carrying my SP-101 IWB / SOB. The performance ended, and we stood up--and I stretched--and my size 44-Long shirt rode up over the 101 Grip and hung up. There was an "exclamation" sound from the row behind me. Everybody is still doing the silly standing ovation routine--so I just turned slightly and smiled broadly at the woman behind me, nodding slightly as if to indicate enthusiastic approval of the performance. I also unhooked the shirt.

She nodded enthusiastically, too, and also smiled broadly. And we went our separate ways.

These days, I have the MN shall-issue permit, and I carry a J-frame in a Mika pocket holster, usually in a front pocket. Much better routine.

Jim H.

Colt
September 28, 2007, 04:19 PM
My wife grew up in a non-gun house. She wasn't a hardcore anti, but she held allot of the misconceptions common among non-gun people. I met her "halfway" by buying a safe for longarms, and a sportsafe for my pistols.

When I first started carrying, she thought I was nuts. The first time she "made" me was as I hugged her goodbye on my way out to see a movie with my buddies. She gave me a look of disgust and moved away quickly with a "have fun." I didn't say anything back.

Fast forward 6 months.

South Street, Philadelphia. Walking back to our car after having met friends for dinner, she slides her arm around my waist. "Where's your gun?!" she asks, with the same look of disgust I'd seen 6 months earlier. I smiled, but didn't say anything. "The one time you might actually need it and you don't wear it?"

I let her "suffer" on the walk back to the car, giving her time to ponder the fact that we were pretty much defenseless in what can be an unfriendly city.

Only after we were back in the car did I show her the ankle holster. "Jerk."

PocketP11
September 28, 2007, 04:45 PM
Gotta love it.:D
Definitely! :)

Rey B
September 28, 2007, 05:11 PM
in Indiana are packing heat. :o Some of us haven't gotten our permit application back yet:D.

strat81
September 28, 2007, 05:15 PM
Zombie-thread, but...
My sister found my CHP while going through my billfold (I don't mind). She said, "What's this for??" I said, "This" and showed her the G26 on my waist.
"OMG! Is that real? Unload it, I want to hold it!"

Mr. Designer
September 28, 2007, 05:35 PM

I got stopped for speeding and had my revolver in the glove box. I had to get my registration out of the glove box so I informed him of the revolver. He asked me to get out of the vehicle and patted me down. He got in the glove box and got my registration, checked everything including my carry permit and gave me a $120 fine. I suppose it could have been worse.

woolfam
September 28, 2007, 05:37 PM
Zombie-thread, but...
+1

I posted this once before.

My son, my Taurus, and I were at a local department store. We were in the shoe department. There was one other customer and a saleswoman at the cash register. As I was looking at some shoes I heard someone behind me and to my left say in a somewhat loud voice, “Do you have a gun?”

It startled me but I did not react. I was thinking, how in the world did he know? I slowly turned around to my left and saw a store employee (suit and tie and store badge) walking into the department. I did not say anything, figuring that it would be best for him to continue the conversation. He walked right past me and up to the saleswoman at the cash register.

He there retrieved “the gun” - one of those pistol-looking scanners they use to check price tags – and walked off to another department.

My son later told me that when he heard the man ask the question he thought, “Oh great, what’s my dad done now?”

cassandrasdaddy
September 28, 2007, 05:53 PM
late 70's dancing with lil airweight in pants pocket it ripped through bottom of pocket clunk clunk on dance floor i picked it up switched pockets glad it was dark

Pilgrim
September 28, 2007, 10:37 PM
I once was 'made' by a granddaughter who proudly announced in school, "My grandpa carries a gun."

Her teacher got all upset and reported it to the principal. Principal told her, "Relax. Grandpa is a retired deputy sheriff."

Pilgrim

Nio
September 28, 2007, 11:00 PM
Just last week I had a very weird experience. I carry in my own office building, and will sometimes wander around without my jacket - and nobody cares. When I go out to clients, though, I stay concealed because I never know how a client might react. I went out to one client - a small office of four ladies and two guys. I was crawling around under a desk trying to install a new unit when my shirt rode up without my notice.

One of the ladies walks in and says, "Oh! You carry a gun?"

"Uh... Yeah."

So she hollers out to the other ladies, "Hey! He's got a gun!"

Someone says something, and the boss comes out. "Who's got a gun?"

She points at me, "He does."

And this is where it goes weird. The ladies all get their guns out of their holster purses and show them to me. They had really good safe handling too. They all have their permits and all go practice together regularly.

I asked the boss if he carried too and he said, "Nah. The girls will protect me." :what:

I wish all my clients were like that...

Nio

geojap
September 29, 2007, 01:15 AM
I've never told anyone that I CCW and have a CHL, except for my girlfriend of over a year who lives with me. I've never been outed and I've never had a conversation with anyone about CCW in person after my CHL class (only on forums).

Airman193SOS
September 29, 2007, 03:56 AM
I've never been made, but when I first started carrying I was at a restaurant in Philadelphia and I hadn't worked out the proper positioning for my IWB holster. Needless to say, it was an uncomfortable half-hour of pleasantries with my Glock 27 jammed against my thigh and twisting my belt until I could politely excuse myself to adjust.

Now I carry it IWB on my right hip and (especially with my Clipdraw-equipped SP101) it hides quite nicely, even with my 5-year-old boy unintentionally doing everything he can to expose my piece.

You live, you learn, you adjust.

rrruuunnn
September 29, 2007, 04:19 AM
some of these stories are great and funny.

i was going inside my restaurant. i forgot that i had my gun unconcealed mexican style since i had just returned from an alarm going off at my home.

rrruuunnn
September 29, 2007, 08:18 AM
i used clipdraw to carry my revolver inside walgreens. i think people noticed. and an old guy doesn't seem to like me in his store anymore. he didn't say thank you and gave me a stern look on another day.

i am 37 yo. i own a chain of restaurants. recently we got robbed at gun point inside the kitchen. and i got my tires slashed with a guy running towards my driver's window. i have plenty reason to have CHL. i don't like when someone acts like i'm a criminal because i carry. bet that old man that works graveyard shift is packing too. maybe, he thinks he better because he wears his free masonry ring.:neener:

TonyB
September 29, 2007, 08:29 AM
If someone does "make" you and asks if that'sa gun?....unless they're LEO,tell them to mind thier own business......unless you're pointing it at them,why should they care?if it's a cop,show your permit if in a state that requires one,and move on.
I was made once by an aunt who put her hand on my waiste duing a family photo....she just patted it and smiled.
Now I pocket carry,and haven't been made that I know of.

bones42
September 30, 2007, 07:09 PM
When I first started dating my wife she was a bit uncomfortable with me carrying every day. I was on the road every day and my work took me to homes and businesses in some unforgiving areas.

She gradually warmed up to it and now it seems to be a comfort to her. Her family grew up hunting and shooting and they don't think anything of it.

I had the opposite problem for a little while. We would be in what I would call a "pay extra attention" situation. (i.e. leaving the midnight movie show in the city with dark parking lot, etc.) and someone in our group would point out the dark parking lot. My wife or her sister would louldy announce "Don't worry, he is carrying a gun!" Heads would turn, other people walking out would immediately move away from us and I would immediately turn bright red with embarassment. :eek: This only happened once or twice. We had a great chat about how important it is to not broadcast it and all has been happy ever since. :D

76shuvlinoff
September 30, 2007, 10:58 PM
ok not like that!

not "made" but the other day my brothers, their wives, my dad and myself are sitting at Dads' table bsing. Dad is 86 and a WWII vet, my older bros are twins 58 and both served during the late 60's.

Anyhow one of my brothers says he's ready to trade in all his old hunting rifles and maybe get a pistol for HD, maybe even get a carry permit. His wife said "Why in the hell would you need that?" I spoke right up and said maybe a pistol isn't the very best choice for HD but as far as the carry permit I can get him set up with the right classes and the right people. You could'a heard a pin drop, he looked me up and down real close. I wsa in jeans and a T shirt and not carrying at that moment. He said "Do you...?" I winked and said "Take the courses, it's an eye opener." I don't think his wife spoke to me again all evening. I may just be truely evil now. :evil:

crebralfix
October 1, 2007, 01:25 PM
Recently, I was told (due to an OC day) I couldn't carry at someone's house. Since I neither appreciate such "rules", nor associate those who create them, I skipped the event.

Furthermore, I will make it clear WHY I am not associating with them. If they do not trust me with my weapons, why should I trust them with theirs? If they do the old "well, it will put murderous thoughts in your brain" argument, I'll tell them they have revealed their own insecurities to me and shouldn't be around kitchen knives. Obviously, such a person is going to try to stab me with a butter knife at first provocation. Either way, they're morons who are not concerned with my well being.

crebralfix
October 1, 2007, 01:31 PM
On a more positive note, the last family reunion was interesting. I got bored and mentioned "wouldn't it be cool go go shooting". An uncle quietly walks away (unnoticed by all) and rolls up with a minivan filled with all sorts of goodies. About 30 guys trekked up the road to one of the fields for a bit of plinking. :)

The Wiry Irishman
October 1, 2007, 02:17 PM
When I first saw this

I found her 3" M60 at the same time she found my Commander

I got very confused and started laughing. The thoughts that went through my head were, in order:

1) Is this guy trying to tell me someone can conceal an M60?
2) Woulnd't the recoil on a 3" barrel .308 be horrendous, especially full auto?
3) That's a hell of a lot to pay for a CCW gun just to cut it down that much
4) Would the gas system even function with the barrel cut that short?
5) How would you ever holster that?
6) At least you woulnd't need reloads... I hope.
7) Oh wait.... I see what he means

SSN Vet
October 1, 2007, 02:23 PM
never been made....at least if I was, I didn't know about it.

MinnMooney
October 1, 2007, 04:36 PM
I've been carrying for 2 years and have never had anyone say that they figured that I was carrying. I carry ALL the time - not just in the winter or when it's convenient or when I'd rather just be wearing shorts or swim trunks.

My bet would be that I've been "caught" but that they said nothiing.

Pax Jordana
October 1, 2007, 04:43 PM
At church, there is a fine couple who came over from South Africa with their kids about a decade ago. Mom's a fine old gal, cooks like a pro, with three beautiful daughters.

I was a lad of 21 who had found a beautiful bianchi J-Frame OWB holster in the $5 cop-surplus box at my local range/shop. One sunday morning, super mom gives me a hug that transitions to the arm around the waist, and ends up with her palm over the cylinder of my gun. She winks at me, says "peace be with you" and moves on.

Then again, they're avid shooters themselves.

Since that point, I carry almost exclusively IWB at 1 o'clock - Like the smartcarry, unless somebody has reason to grope around that region, they won't catch it.

Then once, on south street, saturday night, I was out with my brother and sister-in-law. She knows we're both licensed. Well, bro and I want to go see the lights over the river, SIL says "really we shouldn't, that's dangerous, homeless people hang out down there". Bro smiles and says "I've got 8 rounds of .45 that say if we walk in there we're walking back out untouched" and I (at this point it is prudent to note I'm the younger of us two) had to scoff - "8 rounds of .45? Shoot, son, I brought 35 rounds of 9mm!"

Thus continued the pissing match, but SIL's fears were soothed and the river really was beautiful that night (very clear).

MinnMooney
October 1, 2007, 04:46 PM
Everyone seems to expect to get "caught" while getting hugged. This is really one of the easiest things to eliminate!
When I see a hug coming, I quickly drop my right arm down and lift my left arm so the ONLY way I can get a hug is by them raising their left arm so it is no where near my holster.

I've never been felt during a hug. Darn....

Works every time.

mlandman
October 1, 2007, 07:52 PM
My son was visiting earlier this month. We were going to find some backpacking gear and on the way the driver's rear tire delaminated. While I was working on changing it, he said "What's that, Pop?" pointing to the lump of my M&P9c worn IWB. I said that is my sidearm, and finished the tire change. Later when we got home he wanted to see it. I dropped the mag and locked the slide back and handed it to him.

:) He is 26 and did a stint in Kirkuk at the start of the war with the 4th ID, so it was no big deal.

Average Joe
October 1, 2007, 09:25 PM
If I get caught with my smart carry, I just tell them I have two guns.

Elm Creek Smith
October 1, 2007, 09:25 PM
A guy climbed into my 1970 Chevelle station wagon uninvited at a stop light in Louisville, KY, a long time ago. He saw the .45 auto I held in my left hand, apologized, said I should lock my car doors, and got out, locking the door behind him. I've taken his words to heart.

I got stopped by an Oklahoma Highway Patrolman who didn't want to talk to me until I was all the way back to his car. I'm sitting next to him, hand him my driver's license and CHL, and tell him under the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act I have to tell him that I'm legally armed. He asks me if I'm carrying right then while continuing to write the ticket he's getting ready to give me. When I answer in the affirmative, he asks, "What are you carrying?" I told him, "A S&W Model 13 in a Bucheimer pancake holster." All he said was, "Good choice." I still got the ticket.

My younger sister started giving me grief about carrying when her husband told her to be quiet. When she asked him why, he pulled his suit coat out to reveal his SiG P220. She shut up.

Mom gave me a shocked look when one of her hugs revealed the revolver on my belt and told me, "I wish you wouldn't carry a gun." I made nice noises but didn't stop carrying. When one of her neighbors got murdered, she called my brother and me and asked us to take turns staying with her and to bring our guns. We told her we couldn't bring all of our guns, but we'd bring enough to get by. She hasn't said a word about our guns or carrying since.

ECS

Skirmisher
October 1, 2007, 09:57 PM
Wow, lots of interesting stories. I was "made" only once. I was a guest speaker at a rally at the Capitol of our state, an outdoor affair. I was to speak about my self defense experience. I was greeted by one of the ladies who was in charge of the program with a hug. Her reaction was one of surprise, then a big smile. Never said a word about the gun.:D

Ragnar Danneskjold
October 2, 2007, 03:11 AM
To be honest, I'm not all that concerned about being "made". I dress comfortably and carry comfortably. If my CCW prints or even shows, I don't really care, unless the situation specifically calls for more discretion. If it's really concealed, I don't care either. I just don't put a whole lot of effort into finding ways to be extra concealed. I live in a state where open carry is legal, and I also have a CPL. I think I'm covered. I'm a pretty clean cut guy, being in the army, and I dress at least semi nice; khaki pants, polos, button downs, etc. I don't look like a gangbanger or some goth punk, and so far I have yet to cause a scene.

cambeul41
October 2, 2007, 04:18 PM
Two times, maybe . . .

1) I cannot carry in the classroom, but I am another of those not too concerned about being made, so I usually leave my holster and double mag pouch on my belt covered by an untucked polo shirt. A student, a retired MP, stayed after class to ask, “Mr. C, are you carrying a gun?” I saw that he was looking at the mag pouch side, so I pulled out the cell phone which I had in one of the pockets. He apologized profusely until I told him the rest of the truth.

2) I was preparing my lawnmower for use when, I assume, my shirt rode up enough for the lower half of the holster to show. Just then a sheriff’s deputy drove by. He stopped in front of the neighbor’s house, but did not get out. When I started to cut the grass, he drove off. My guess is that he spotted the holster and was watching to see whether my next actions were that of a homeowner or a lawnmower thief.

Randall
October 2, 2007, 06:39 PM
I had a security guard tell me I was printing, I said thanks and he left.I had a magazine fall out of my pocket at a restaurant and a waitress walking by pointed it out to me.

Gary Frost
October 2, 2007, 11:24 PM
I went to town to the hardware store for stuff. I carry a S&W 99 usually. I was wearing cutoffs and a t shirt that would cover my pistol if I walked like the hunchback of ND, but like others here I don't much care but do make a modest attempt. One of the sales ladies always sees me and we are in for a legnthly visit. (The woman can really visit). I was crouched by the plumbing stuff when she walked up and said, "we're showing more than usual today aren't we?" I got up and sure enough my t shirt had rode up above the entire gun. I pulled my shirt down and started to say something when she interupted by saying "I wasn't talking about your gun, your fly is open."

dralarms
October 2, 2007, 11:32 PM
I pulled my shirt down and started to say something when she interupted by saying "I wasn't talking about your gun, your fly is open."

:eek::eek:

pax
October 2, 2007, 11:42 PM

Wardrobe malfunction, eh?

pax

qajaq59
October 3, 2007, 07:30 AM
Caught???? That's a bit negative, isn't it? Discovered might be a better word?

JWarren
October 3, 2007, 10:12 AM
My only story of getting "caught" was one where I didn't have a handgun, oddly enough.

Last Saturday, my sister got remarried to a great guy. My nephew, who has become obsessed with shooting since I got him his first BB gun a year ago (he actually has one of those top-of-the-line Airsoft MP5's now) LOUDLY asked me at the wedding "Uncle John, Do you have your gun?"

More than one person looked over at me. I just ignored them and said "Not right now, sport."

Thinking about it, I realized that the last several times he's seen me, I've had my RIA 1911A1 open-carry on my belt. I've been planting deer plots after work and such and it's still "snake season."

So, not really "made" but not a conversation I really don't enjoy in chuch at a wedding.

Later that afternoon, I took my nephew out and let him burn a couple hundred rounds with my 10/22.

-- John

jcramin
October 3, 2007, 11:17 AM
OOOooo yes Actually a Scout in my son's scout troop saw it. BUT I was not on a scout outing. Since Boy Scouts of America does not approve of carrying guns. The Scout told the Scout Master who then asked me about it and said he heard I had a gun on a campout. Ofcours I was honest and said I always carry a gun but when im on a Scout outing my gun is locked in my truck. I told him I have a hand gun carry permit and I obey all laws and Scout Rules. He told me the church does not allow it and either do Boy Scouts of America. I nicely said I carry my gun every day and I obey all laws and Scout rules, and I left it at that. He has never allowed his son to be taken anywhere by me since then.

J

jcramin
October 3, 2007, 12:46 PM
Then there was the time I went to Walgreens.

Anytime im driving I keep my shirt tucked in under my gun so I can get to it fast if need be while driving. When I get out I pull my shirt over it so it is not seen in public.

This day at Walgreens I forgot to cover my gun until I was 1/2 across the parking lot. I went in and did my business and checked out, as I was walking out of Walgreens I see a police car at the front door and another one pulling up fast. I just walk to my truck and get in and drive away. My wife says that first car pulled up and the cops got out in a hurry with their hands on their guns as they went in.

So I assume someone saw me hide my gun as I went in and called the police assuming it was a robbery ready to happen. NOT SURE but everything seemed fine while I was in the place.

J

Henry Bowman
October 16, 2007, 04:52 PM
Wearing a suit to a memorial service for the father of a life-long friend and was carrying OWB at 4:00. Going through the "receiving line" afterward and get hugged by the widow before I can "go low" on that side. She says loudly (and jokingly), "Packin' heat, Glenn?" I'm about 99% sure she's an anti and that was not the time or place to debate the merits of CCW, so I just reached under my jacket and pulled out my BlackBerry from the same side for her to see. That let it pass.

My 10 year old daughter is more likely to "make" me than my wife. She'll give me a big Daddy hug sometimes just to confirm I'm carrying. Never says a word now. The first time (when she was younger) she was kind of surprised and silently mouths to me "Is that a gun?" Actually, a rather mature reaction on her part in a crowd of people. I just nodded and put my finger to my lips. Later I talked to her about why I carry and the reasons for doing so discretely.

The Annoyed Man
October 17, 2007, 12:27 AM
I have a question somebody may be able to answer for me. I'm quite a bit overweight, and I'm going to be taking the class soon for my carry permit here in Texas. Other than the Smart Carry, which just doesn't seem that confortable or practical to me, does anybody have any particular suggestions for reasonably discreet carry? The gun is a HK USP Compact in .40 S&W.

Dravur
October 17, 2007, 12:53 AM
I happen to be in the same boat as you. I have a larger midsection than normal and I carry all the time....

Here is a rundown of your options..

1. Shoulder rig with a dark overshirt..... Do not wear a white dress shirt over this..

2. Buy a "Shoot Me First Vest" and carry at 3:00 in a Kydex holster... Get a GOOD belt, Rafter S is my personal fave.

3. In hot weather, carry a HK P7 in an IWB holster and wear a large T-shirt. Learn not to bend over.

4. Also in hot weather, get cargo shorts and a Kel-tec P3AT.

The nice thing about the fat is you get the FRD for free.... What is FRD, you ask?
Fat Retention Device. Nothing keeps those pesky guns in their pesky holsters like the man with true FRD.

JLStorm
November 8, 2007, 01:02 AM
Well lets see....

The first time I got made was when I was working in a job that required me to carry a G30, I was wearing a suite depositing my check at the bank and a security guard said "officer the butt of your gun is showing" sure enough one side of my jacket had ridden up in the back. I never mentioned I wasnt an officer, I just said thanks. I also got made once when I was carrying in a shoulder holster by my barber when he was putting a towel around my neck before he shaved me. Now if anyone at the place offers me a beer, he simply tells them that I am probably carrying a gun and I dont drink when I carry.

Since then I have had my cover garment blow open and no one seems to notice. I also was carrying a spare mag in small 5th pocket of my jeans above the pocket I carry my wallet in, the magazine fell out when I grabbed for the wallet in a las vegas night club to show security my ID. I picked it up rather quickly and no one noticed, not security, not my friends.

I honestly am not to worried about printing or momentary flashing if my cover garment gets blown up in the wind or something similar. I have 7 CCWs I carry all over the country and despite all the bad cop stories or anti gun police that may exist I have never had a bad run in with one. I simply act confident around everyone stand up straight and people seem to think that I must be someone who is supposed to have a gun if they see it, whether they are police, security, etc. I have nothing to hide and I really take time to try to conceal well, I think thats enough due dilligence.

The only person that gets annoyed is my wife when she wants to lay her head on my lap and I am pocket carrying...but she gets over it...doesnt even ask me to move the gun anymore she says the new disantis holster is soft enough that she doesnt mind as much.

Alan Fud
November 8, 2007, 05:02 AM
If someone does "make" you and asks if that'sa gun?....unless they're LEO,tell them to mind thier own business......unless you're pointing it at them,why should they care?if it's a cop,show your permit if in a state that requires one,and move on.In some states, being made can get your permit to carry revoked.

evan price
November 8, 2007, 05:13 AM
Last family get-together my brother patted me in the 3o'clock and said, "Good, at least that's TWO of us carrying."

If you enjoyed reading about ""Concealed is concealed" -- but you got caught. What happened?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!