Anyone shooting a Ruger P? in Production?

PDA

Babalouie
July 17, 2005, 03:13 PM
I'm looking for a new pistol and want something for occasional Production class shooting with my club. I have been interested in the Ruger line of pistols and am wondering if anyone shoots one. I really like the P94 which is an all metal gun. Can much be done to the triggers to lighten em up? They don't seem to be a popular choice for competitive shooting and I wonder why.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone shooting a Ruger P? in Production?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Spot77
July 17, 2005, 03:48 PM
Rugers are sorta' like your big dumb illiterate cousin. You're sorta' embarrassed to be seen with him, but when the shtf you'll be glad you have something strong, powerful and reliable with you.

I shoot a P95 and a P97 regularly and love them both. But I'm just shooting for my own pleasure/experience - not competition.

My P95 trigger came as light as almost any trigger I've ever felt; even as good or better than some smith' jobs. The P97 feels totally different though. Strange since they're basically the same gun in different calibers.

Babalouie
July 17, 2005, 04:22 PM
I love the analogy! I'm really looking at the Ruger as a shtf weapon so I want the big and reliable that the Ruger seems to be. I have three 1911's so I'll be selling one to finance a couple of other firearms...one will be a Ruger.

TonyB
July 18, 2005, 03:34 PM
A buddy of mine uses the poly .45acp one for idpa(not sure of the model,it's the older one not the 345)and he never has any problems..I've shot it and was amazed at the low recoil.....A Ruger will get the job done.....hey,they are at LEAST as handsome as a Glock :D

Bacchus
July 18, 2005, 03:49 PM
I took a 94 to a gunshop looking for a recommendation for a gunsmith to tune the trigger. I was told that not many smiths will work on the p series Rugers. I don't know if that's true, but take it for what it's worth...

sturmruger
July 19, 2005, 03:39 PM
I have a Ruger P89, but don't think I would use it is a competition gun. Rugers, and any other gun that you have to start out double action tend to be avoided in IPSC matches. I hate to sound like everyone else, but I would look at either a XD, or a Glock. They are both reliable guns that are easy to find good accesories for. I am currently using a XD9 and love it!!

Krag
July 19, 2005, 06:18 PM
We have two guys who compete in our USPSA match from time to time. Both shoot 9mm Ruger P89s in Production Division and do quite well. The pistols seem 100% reliable, more than accurate enough and the guys seem to be having fun. :)

Navy87Guy
July 22, 2005, 09:55 PM
I'm just getting started in USPSA production and I've been shooting my Beretta 92G Vertec. The DA first shot doesn't bother me -- and at my level of competition the extra 1/2 second it might take me to shoot it accurately isn't going to affect me much (especially if I get an A hit!)

I plan on trying both my P89 and P93 in the future...although you're right -- it might be nice to lighten the trigger just a hair.

bakert
July 22, 2005, 10:07 PM
I'm not a competition shooter but most days I carry a P97 just in case the SDHTF.

armedandsafe
July 22, 2005, 10:08 PM
I don't compete any more, and was never very competitive, when I did. However, I did use my P85 most of the time, since my other carry was the DanWesson 357 revolver. I never felt bothered by the DA-first, as I was competing to hone my skills, rather than beating the guy before me.

Pops

KC&97TA
August 21, 2005, 10:00 PM
I had a Ruger P944 .40 S&W for about 3 weeks, had a nice feel to it, shot a tight group from a rest, but I couldn't hold a group with it... couldn't figure out how to shoot it, didn't have problems switching between my 92FS and Kimber Custom holding 2" groups at 15 yards. Something about that Ruger, just couldn't figure it out ?

eerw
August 22, 2005, 09:27 AM
There no reason that a P94 cannot do well in USPSA production..the main thing is that it be reliable and that you can shoot it accurately.

wolffe makes springs for it..and most likely by installing a lighter hammer spring you will be able to lighten the trigger some. then dryfire the heck out of it to smooth it out..

get yourself a holster, some pouches and come shoot..probably need about 6 mags, four pouches, a good belt, and holster..and you will be set.

ArmyCop
August 23, 2005, 08:30 AM
I've had a P94 in .40 caliber for several years. Very happy with it. Shoots great, feels good to hold, easy to break down and clean and now Crimson Trace makes laser grips for it.
It's my duty gun for when on Aux Police. Used to be my primary concealed carry gun too. Kinda big for that but it worked ok for me - fobus paddle holster with shirt untucked. Mine's the stainless.

Ledhead686
August 24, 2005, 07:29 AM
I bought a Ruger P90DC (.45) last December and coudn't be happier with its reliability. I've put 300 rds. through it w/o a glitch. Previously, I'd been leery about using a semi-auto as my primary defensive weapon -- always afraid of jams. However, I'm now so confident of its performance, I've put away the Charter Arms .38 snubby and now the P90 is my nightstand piece.

birddog
August 24, 2005, 07:52 AM
I'm liking my KP-345, and carry it quite often -- at least several times a week. Other than my wife's Kimber CDP, it's the only autoloader I own that has NEVER misfired, FTF, FTE, no malfunctions of any sort, ever. The thing is dead-on accurate out to 20 yards and dependable. My early range-report with it is here, but it's seen a ton of carry/range time since this report and is still as reliable as ever:

KP 345 Range Report (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=118219)

5string_dean
September 2, 2005, 09:34 PM
I've used my Ruger P95 in IDPA competition... it's been absolutely reliable for almost 3,000 rounds. A freind has a P94 and the longer barrel and slightly heavier weight does improve the accuracy a bit. The only time the DA first shot realy is a drawback is on really long shots, so on those I just manually pull back the hammer....

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone shooting a Ruger P? in Production?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!