Mag maintenance?

PDA

nomadboi
July 19, 2005, 06:27 PM
Okay, we've all seen plenty on pros, cons, and ways to clean our guns... what about magazines? Any kind of regular maintenance you guys do on those? Just a quick spray of rem-oil every now and again?

Also wondering if leaving the same magazine loaded for long periods of time will weaken the springs or cause any other problems.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mag maintenance?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tory
July 19, 2005, 06:40 PM
At least not INSIDE the mag; it will hold all the crud and cause the follower to bind. As most followers are plastic of some sort, oil is useless anyway.

I take mine down often (LOVE the Dawson basepads - a cinch to remove) and pull a soft cloth through them to remove the powder fouling, dust from being dropped on stages, etc. Many shooters carry a special brush and clean between stages.

I also like Jubilee Kitchen Wax, a thick liquid. A little on a soft cloth spread lightly and evenly, then pull an old t-shirt, piece of flannel, etc. through to remove all excess and repeat until there is only a smooth, hard finish. It does not attract dust and plastic followers love it. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Mag maintenance?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!