Can you light a match with a bullet?

PDA

Rembrandt
July 21, 2005, 09:53 PM
I've heard of people extinguishing a candle with a bullet....but can you light a match with a bullet?...or is this a myth?

If you enjoyed reading about "Can you light a match with a bullet?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Preacherman
July 21, 2005, 09:56 PM
Better aim carefully... if you hit the match, and still want a light, you'll have to exercise matchless ingenuity!

:neener:

gulogulo1970
July 21, 2005, 10:07 PM
That was really bad...

shermacman
July 21, 2005, 10:56 PM
I routinely take matches, stick them in a log at 50 yards. Then I take my .45 and standing off-hand fire off a magazine.

I can thereby attest, that it is impossible to light a match with a bullet. Never works for me...

Horsesense
July 21, 2005, 11:01 PM
I have tried. Even knocked off part of the white part several times and no ignition. Me thinks it possible but very unlikely.

Taurus 66
July 21, 2005, 11:03 PM
Hmmm ... you know. White tipped matches might work, but only if you just ever so slightly grazed an edge. You take a 45, like someone mentioned, and no matter how careful your shot, the match (head, stick and all) will just disappear.

carebear
July 21, 2005, 11:04 PM
I wrap sandpaper around the bullet and make a furtive movement over the matchhead. :evil:

bakert
July 21, 2005, 11:11 PM
Danged if I don't believe carebear has it figgered out.

shermacman
July 21, 2005, 11:12 PM
You take a 45, like someone mentioned, and no matter how careful your shot, the match (head, stick and all) will just disappear.

Hmmm....I can't even make the match head disappear! :cool: I like carebear's approach. I bet I could light a match with that technique.

Jim K
July 21, 2005, 11:20 PM
Sorry, but I have done it, and seen it done. I have a friend who, in his younger days, was able to do it almost every shot at about 10 feet. I was lucky to do it one out of ten shots. You need the old "strike anywhere" matches, though; the new "strike on box" matches won't work.

BTW, the gun was an S&W K-22; a .45 would probably have blown the match away with the muzzle blast.

Jim

carebear
July 21, 2005, 11:25 PM
Yeah, but he's just a "target shooter". :rolleyes:

Jim K
July 21, 2005, 11:30 PM
True. My friend went on to take home a fair amount of hardware from Perry, shooting for the Marine Reserve pistol team.

Jim

Taurus 66
July 21, 2005, 11:52 PM
You need the old "strike anywhere" matches, though; the new "strike on box" matches won't work.

I got you covered Jim. I made mention to the "white tipped match". It's a potassium chlorate tip with blue fuel below and is very sensitive to friction. You can strike it on sandpaper, a zipper, or carebear's face if he skips a days shave. :neener:

taliv
July 22, 2005, 12:25 AM
it's a lot easier if you tape the match to a steel plate and use incendiary ammo

geegee
July 22, 2005, 12:32 AM
When I was in high school, I used to amuse a friend of mine by tearing a match from a pack and then lighting it...all with my toes!

Had a few close calls, but never experienced the joy of lighting one with a bullet.

Yeah, we had a lot of time on our hands. :D

Glock19Fan
July 22, 2005, 12:37 AM
Tuarus 66- I believe the current match heads also use a KClO3 mixture (I think with red phosporus but im not sure). The older strike anywhere matchheads also used KClO3, but im not sure of the fuel used.

foghornl
July 22, 2005, 08:45 AM
I managed to do that ONCE at about 25 feet with my Nylon 66 loaded w/Federal plain lead bullets. But that was also more than 35 years back.

Probably could not do it now at 10 feet. Saw oldest brother do that twice with his late 60's vintage Ruger .22 pistol (MK I maybe ? ?)

Hmmmm. . . could probably do it again at about 10 feet with my Mosin-Nagant M-44 and some of that well-known "fireball" Albanian surplus ammo... :D :D

That ammo puts some Black Powder guns to shame :evil:

JoeHatley
July 22, 2005, 09:50 AM
Yup. When I was in grade school we had a "trick shooter" for an Assembly. He did several from accross the gym. The really neat part was we were allowed to sit within 8' or so from the flight path and target trap.

Joe

Vern Humphrey
July 22, 2005, 11:38 AM
Master Sergeant Hulett Benner, the top Army pistol shooter for many years, used to do that trick with the .45. He had another one, where he would tether a baloon on either side of an ax, and then spilt a bullet on the edge of the ax and break both balloons.

GhostRider66
July 22, 2005, 11:51 AM
I just did it with no problem. Of course, I pulled the round out of the chamber before attempting this. It worked well with a .45 ACP JHP. I will try other calibers throughout the day and let you know how well those work. :neener:

BigG
July 22, 2005, 11:56 AM
You can surely do it with those hollywood guns that strike sparks off of wood, concrete, etc. :neener:

lucky_fool
July 22, 2005, 12:59 PM
I bet a .50 BMG would make the match light itself.

Vern Humphrey
July 22, 2005, 01:02 PM
I bet a .50 BMG would make the match light itself.

We have been assured that if a .50 BMG misses you, "the wind as it goes past your head will suck your brains out your ears."

We know that's true, because that's obviously what happened to the guy who made that claim. :neener:

mainmech48
July 22, 2005, 01:44 PM
I can't, but Bill Jordan could. I saw him do it when he brought his NRA-sponsored "dog and pony show" to our Jr. HS way back when.

Also saw him shatter two Necco wafers by hitting the blade of an axe, draw and fire his revolver before an object placed atop his gun hand could hit the floor (think it was a ping-pong ball, can't be sure after all these years), and several other amazing stunts.

wheelgunner100
July 22, 2005, 01:54 PM
I used to do the match-lighting thing with my BB gun. I'd drop one of those large light-anywhere kitchen matches down the barrel, head out, and fire against a hard surface. Presto! instant fire.

Old NFO
July 22, 2005, 02:24 PM
+1 on Mainmech- I saw the same show, back in the mid '60s. If I remember, he or another performer did some shots with a nylon Remington .22 and lit something like 6 out of 10 matches. Jordan's pistol shooting was amazing! It's too bad that program went away...

Biker
July 22, 2005, 04:55 PM
No, but I can light up the mofo holding the match. Does that count? :D
Biker

Jim K
July 22, 2005, 05:06 PM
Splitting a bullet on a knife or ax blade is no great trick. You only have to worry about windage, not elevation. It is a bit trickier to split the bullet evenly enough to break two plates, but still very possible for any reasonably good shot at short range.

The guy I told you about lighting matches was also one of the fastest people on the draw I have ever seen. His favorite trick was to fill a wooden match box (remember those?) with flour, tape it shut, sit it on the back of his hand, hold the hand out at shoulder height, drop the hand, draw, flip the matchbox out with the gun barrel, and blow it out of the air. He could do that the majority of the time, too. (Yours truly managed it once, I think.)

Jim

STW
July 22, 2005, 05:51 PM
A variation that has yet to be mentioned is to light the match with the ax. This is something most people can do in the back yards without upsetting the neighbors.

Start with a hand ax, to get your confidence up, and then graduate to a double bladed ax and use a full swing.

crawfish
July 23, 2005, 02:25 AM
I could light "strike anywhere" matches with my .22 way back when, could drive nails too. Canít find sa matches anymore, fire safety and all that stuff. We used to take sa matches throw them at the sidewalk to make them light with a cracking sound.

S_O_Laban
July 23, 2005, 02:40 AM
I wonder if tracer rounds would make lighting one up easier??

carebear
July 23, 2005, 02:55 AM
Wouldn't think so. The tracer compound is in a hollow in the base of the bullet. For it to interact with the match at all, the round would have to impact base first or hit in such a way as to break or ignite the match the same as ball.

CajunBass
July 23, 2005, 07:32 AM
What's the better match lighter? A 9mm or a 45? Glock or 1911?

bogie
July 23, 2005, 09:35 AM
I can cut a playing card in half at 100 yards.

BryanP
July 23, 2005, 09:41 AM
Sure you can. Aint' ya ever heard of match ammunition and match sights?

Seriously, I'm sure it can be done, but it requires a better shot than me.

shermacman
July 24, 2005, 06:39 PM
Welcome aboard, westernamerican!
Wait till you get in the middle of a "What caliber has the best stopping power?" or a "Glocks are ugly pieces of plastic" debate!

armedandsafe
July 24, 2005, 08:48 PM
"Glocks are ugly pieces of plastic" debate!

I didn't think that was even debatable. :p :evil: :D :D

Pops

Larry Ashcraft
July 25, 2005, 04:52 PM
Canít find sa matches anymore, fire safety and all that stuff.
I still get them at the local Safeway (grocery chain).

If you enjoyed reading about "Can you light a match with a bullet?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!