OK, I did it...

PDA

BigG
March 22, 2003, 01:51 PM
Went to the Eastman Gun show today and snagged a CZ 550 Safari Magnum in 458 Win Mag. :D

Just like my 375 Safari Magnum. I won't be without a big bore no more! (Hope this photo thingie works!)

http://www.cz-usa.com/_d/pri/28.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "OK, I did it..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steve Smith
March 22, 2003, 03:18 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but what does a guy in Georgia need with a .458?

BigG
March 22, 2003, 03:42 PM
Big bores are my thing. I had a Mod 70 African 458 Mag and sold it. Same went for 375 H&H Mod 70s on two different occasions. I discovered the CZ line a year or so back and bought the 375 H&H Safari Magnum. Upon reflection I should have just kept the Model 70s in the first place. Just can't get the big boys out of my blood. One of the other moderators here (Byron Quick?) bought the BRNO 458 Magnum which is what the rest of the world calls the CZ bolt guns. They are really decent weapons and more people should check them out in my opinion. I bought this one for a couple hundred beans below retail and it is absolutely like new. :D

ajacobs
March 22, 2003, 05:07 PM

Who needs justification, the second ammendment certainly doesn't require it.

StuporDave
March 22, 2003, 05:26 PM

He wanted one. Why does he need a reason. I don't "need" most of my guns.

Dave

boing
March 22, 2003, 08:05 PM
Some actually travel to hunt.

Dave R
March 22, 2003, 08:08 PM
Nothing wrong with using that for Moose, Bison, Alaskan bears, etc.

Chipperman
March 22, 2003, 10:39 PM
I use mine for squirrel hunting. :neener:

Gewehr98
March 22, 2003, 10:53 PM

I'd assume the same need that a guy in Florida has - or any of the other 50 states. Because he wanted one. I don't NEED my .50 BMG, either... :rolleyes:

Al Thompson
March 22, 2003, 11:02 PM
Steve, other than the obvious (it's a 2nd Amendment thing), if Big G has a rabid Cape Buffarillo on the loose in Atlata, he's got it covered. :D

No joke - Augusta had a steer trash several police cars a couple of years back - a .458 would have come in handy.

ether
March 22, 2003, 11:03 PM
Dude.....what's wrong with the stock?? :D

BigG
March 22, 2003, 11:07 PM
If you mean the shape, that is the classic central European shape. In Germany and Austria all their guns look like that. Only on Steyrs, etc. imported to the USA do they put the California style that you see on the domestic products. The stock handles recoil pretty well and comes up for me like a shotgun with sights aligned.

ether
March 22, 2003, 11:30 PM
I was half-kidding...I've seen that shape before....I just didn't realize it was so prolific. I think it looks elegant.

Byron Quick
March 23, 2003, 12:24 AM
Steve,

I might live in Georgia, but they do let us out of the state from time to time. It might take many moons but I hope to hunt Cape buffalo one day.

That hogsback stock looks funky but, boy, does it handle recoil.

In the interim, I'll hang out down the street when the circus comes to town...hoping for the big breakout.:D

WilderBill
March 23, 2003, 12:49 AM
Hey, he could shoot a deer and grind into sausage in one quick and simple operation! ;) :D :cool:

Tamara
March 23, 2003, 12:53 AM

Because you never know when those elephants might get out of the zoo; you want to be ready, though. :D

When is bulldozer season down in GA, anyway? ;)

telewinz
March 23, 2003, 07:34 AM
If a mouse ever charges you you can wipe out his whole species:D

Al Thompson
March 23, 2003, 10:26 AM
Ya know, on a serious note, I killed a reasonable amount of stuff with a .375 and the meat damage is pretty low. I wouldn't hesitate to pop Bambi with a .458. Most (not all) of the big bore bullets are designed for deep penetration and won't tear up much meat. Certainly less than some 3k (+) thin jacketed bullet.

ACP230
March 23, 2003, 10:34 AM
I have heard of .458 owners who loaded them down to .45-70 power levels for hog or deer hunting. Big bores can be some of the most versatile calibers.

Steve Smith
March 23, 2003, 11:26 AM
Damn, folks, sorryyy! I wasn't questioning his right at all! You guys should know me better than that. I'm the one who thinks its wrong to keep released felons from buying guns. I'm ULTRA RKBA. I am just a practical person and questions like that leap to my mind. FWIW, I see a .50 BMG as more practical than a .458, but as much as I'd like to own one, I don't have a good place to shoot it, so I won't buy one.

MLC
March 23, 2003, 12:40 PM
Can you post a pic of your rifle ?
Congratulations and have fun shooting that plinker.

craigz
March 23, 2003, 01:43 PM
It's also really good for pissing off .22 shooters at the range.

cratz2
March 23, 2003, 03:27 PM
Nice looking gun. I've always liked those CZs and they're such a good value with that beautiful wood. And I'm all for expanding the collection but to me, it just seems like ammo starts getting rediculously expensive once you get past 375 H&H.

As for use, it's always seemed to me that using a smaller than standard bullet on a given size of game than maybe is ideal but using a more rapidly expanding bullet causes more damage than using a bigger bullet. I mean, just compare a 75 Gr 25-06 VMax vs a 180 Gr 300 Win Mag Failsafe. I've seen the result of both and I guarantee you there is less meat damage with the larger less dramatic bullet.

Of course, I personally can't rationalize $80/box in ammo to save a few ounces of meat, but that's just me... I'm afraid of recoil anyway.

nextjoe
March 24, 2003, 11:06 PM
BigG, congrats on the new gun. Now you need to customize it a bit, like this (still in progress):

http://members.aol.com/nextjoe/DSC02058a.jpg

Best,
Joe

Poodleshooter
March 25, 2003, 05:26 PM
I have heard of .458 owners who loaded them down to .45-70 power levels for hog or deer hunting. Big bores can be some of the most versatile calibers.
The only .458 that I've handled was one built on a 98 (?) Mauser action. Due to action length, it was a single shot, hand fed. The owner used Lee powder scoops, Blue Dot and Alox lubed lead bullets to shoot reduced loads through it. He'd actually load them at the bench, then shoot them. That was probably the most economical .458 I've ever seen.
Those CZs sure look nice...

nextjoe
March 25, 2003, 10:00 PM
I forgot to mention earlier, these CZs are PERFECT candidates for rechambering to .458 Lott. Pull the barrel, run the reamer in, and you've got the ability to push bullets 200 fps faster, or keep the classic 450 Nitro Express ballistics at very low pressure. Plus you can still shoot WinMag ammo in it. If mine were a .458, I'd immediately have it rechambered and bedded. It's a good thing they come with Pachmayr Decelerators! :)

Best,
Joe

SquirrelNuts
March 27, 2003, 12:10 AM
I live in Jo-Ja, and I can see that rifle being used for feral hogs on Cumberland Island.

-SquirrelNuts

If you enjoyed reading about "OK, I did it..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!