How do you pronounce these words:

PDA

GunGoBoom
July 24, 2005, 11:50 AM
"Sabot" - I've always said "Saa' - bow" or "Say' - bow", but yesterday I heard "Saa' - but"

Dang, forgot the other gun-related word I heard different ways yesterday....I'll post when I think of it.

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you pronounce these words:" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Feanaro
July 24, 2005, 12:06 PM
Something like "să-bō" or "sa-bow". If that sounds weird, that is because the word is French. ;)

GLOCK19XDSC
July 24, 2005, 12:08 PM
Tankers in my former unit used to pronounce it "say-bot."

RecoilRob
July 24, 2005, 12:08 PM
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=sabot

Beside the word, there are a couple of speaker looking icons....click and a window will open and a fellow will speak the word for you.

It sounds like saa-but. I kind of like the American sounding word rather than the Froglike sA-bO.

jefnvk
July 24, 2005, 12:09 PM
If you walk into a store around here and ask for some sa-bows, you are gonna get a weird look. Sa-but around here.

cfabe
July 24, 2005, 05:14 PM
The word is french, and " Sa-bow" is correct.

When you say pronounce "hors d'oeuvres" do you say "whores de ouv-reZ" or "or-derves" ?

Or for laissez-faire, "lay-seZ fair-y" or "lay-say fair" ?

All are accepted english words, adopted from french, and the french pronounciation is correct.

Eightball
July 24, 2005, 05:37 PM
whores de ouv-reZDepends. Are they present :D ? I say "sa-bot" just like it's spelled--besides, it's French, so who cares :evil: ? They hate us in general, we can corrupt their language. Either that, or I'm a redneck to begin with :scrutiny: :)

Husker1911
July 24, 2005, 05:42 PM
Geez, if it weren't for Americans riding to the rescue in two world wars, the pronunciation would definitely have a Germanic influence!

Cesiumsponge
July 24, 2005, 05:42 PM
Ahh there was a thread about this last month...and it included Steyr, carbine, and a few others for discussion too :D I've never heard anyone pronounce sabot properly here, so I just go with the flow or I have to go into a Cliff Claven rant on the French origins.

I'll have to add a non-gun related word that has bugged me...
How does one pronounce Courvoisier? I'd like one flute of sham-pag-knee please!

Infidel
July 24, 2005, 06:38 PM
How does one pronounce Courvoisier?
Coor vwah see ay?

entropy
July 24, 2005, 06:41 PM
Cwer-vo-say. BTW, if you ask for say-bow slugs around here, this is the look you get: :scrutiny: Sa-BOT is how most around here pronounce it.

Iv'e never drank Courvoisier, so I could be wrong on the pronunciation. ;)

jdkelly
July 24, 2005, 07:19 PM
I think around here it sounds like Co vass e air.

I think it's a Cognac (Con Yak), fancy Brandy.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Hawkmoon
July 24, 2005, 07:23 PM
Coor-vwah'-zeeyay or coor-vwah'-zyay would be close.

Preacherman
July 24, 2005, 07:28 PM
The correctness of one's pronunciation of Courvoisier is inversely proportional to the quantity of Courvoisier one has taken on board... :D

Cesiumsponge
July 24, 2005, 07:28 PM
Yeah, Courvoisier is a cognac. Its discouraging trying to figure out how to pronounce a lot of liquor labels.

This firearm-related term popped into my head--Sig Sauer

I've heard Sauer pronounced "sour" and "soar". Which is it? I just say "SIG"

Wedge
July 24, 2005, 07:30 PM
Coor-vwah'-zeeyay or coor-vwah'-zyay would be close

I like cerveza myself...not one for cognac...oh we were talking about shoes...

I pronounce it "sah bo". As in, skilled wiht a bo-staff.

hillbilly
July 24, 2005, 07:30 PM
I think you'll find "sabot" related to another word: "sabotage."

Most folks usually say that word "sah-buh-tajz" or "sah-boh-tajz."

I don't know anyone who says "Sa-butt-ayge"

The word "sabot" means wooden shoe, among other things, and "sabotage" was the act of ruining machinery by throwing a wooden shoe into the works.

The "sabot" for shotgun slugs or muzzleloaders is a "little shoe" that fits around the projectile. Hence "sah-bow" or "say-bow."

Lots of words get corrupted once they get into another language.

For example, there is a state park in Arkansas called "Petit Jean." I won't recant the whole story of where the name comes from.

But in French, it would be pronounced "Puh-teet Zhawn."

In Arkie, it gets pronounced "Petty Gene."

hillbilly

Cesiumsponge
July 24, 2005, 07:33 PM
I like cerveza myself...not one for cognac...

I can manage pronunciation of Spanish words since the phonetics are similar to English, but French is beyond me since I never took a class in it :D

Kurush
July 24, 2005, 07:53 PM
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "say-bow" or "sah-bow". There are lots of French words in English that are pronounced with English rules, how do y'all pronounce Colonel? I think "hors d'oeuvres" is kind of a special case because most people say "orderves" but spell it as "appetizers".

Snake Eyes
July 24, 2005, 08:02 PM
When you say pronounce "hors d'oeuvres".....

As a child, I could never understand why my mother wanted to eat "whores ovaries".

Imagine my therapy bills.

22-rimfire
July 24, 2005, 08:35 PM
Hillbilly: I used to camp at Petti Jean SP frequently back when I lived in Texas. Nice little park and it has a nice story behind it. Mt Nebo.... sounds like a church.

I always serve "horse dervies" at parties. Sabot.... looks like "Save your butt" to me. :)

denfoote
July 24, 2005, 08:38 PM
It's a contraction of the phrase "Say what, robot"???? :D

WvaBill
July 24, 2005, 09:09 PM
When you say pronounce "hors d'oeuvres".....

I thought they were horse divers.

entropy
July 24, 2005, 09:28 PM
I always thought they were horsey doovers! ;) Another French word that in Southern sounds nothing like it does in French: The other name for the Osage Orange tree, which is 'bois d' arc' (so named for it's use in making bows [bois {tree or branch} d' {of} arc {bow}]) is pronounced 'bodark', at least in Texas.

armoredman
July 24, 2005, 10:34 PM
How do tanker pronounce sabot? APFSDS....aka dead enemy.
Saur is pronounce sour, last time I checked. The one every one has a problem with is Heckler and ....what is that word?
Can you pronounce Ceska Zbrojovka? How about Mosin Nagant? Hint, it ain't what you've always called it.....

grampster
July 24, 2005, 10:49 PM
Cheska Broyoyka

Peru, Ill. = Inhabitants pronounce it Pee roo.

cracked butt
July 24, 2005, 10:59 PM
If you are doing names of brandy, give me a pronounciation for this one:

Jezynowka

It can be found in just about every pub in Wisconsin.

I've heard it called:

ja-noof-ka,

yedge-noov-ka,

and

Chevy Nova

Feanaro
July 24, 2005, 11:02 PM
If you walk into a store around here and ask for some sa-bows, you are gonna get a weird look. Sa-but around here.

Funny looks or not people around "there" are still wrong. ;) As Hillybilly said, no one says "sabutage".

*Amuses himself by trying to make people say "Heckler Und Koch" right*

Cesiumsponge
July 24, 2005, 11:32 PM
Heckler & Koch = Hek-lur and coke.

I never heard anyone say Mosin Nagant in person, so I have no clue :o

Jezynowka looks Polish. I'd guess yehj-noof-kuh. The only Polish stuff I've consumed is Chopin vodka so that's easy enough :D but it's not Chop-in!

Is the Galil "gal-lil"?

Eightball
July 24, 2005, 11:41 PM
Is the Galil "gal-lil"?I think it's "ga-lil", just like it's spelled. Dunno where that extra consonant L came from. But, hey, apparently "sa-but" (with a long A, short U sound) doesn't sound right when put into "sa-but-age" (same as before, with a long A at the end.....maybe it becomes "sa-bu-tage"? :confused: ). But, what do I know, I'm from KY :neener: .

Flyboy
July 24, 2005, 11:44 PM
It's not gun-related, but it falls under the (old) BATF, so it's close enough:

Laphroaig.

Very few people know how to pronounce that one. (Note that the aforementioned has been described as the "before" spelling. :D) Anybody up to the challenge?

armoredman
July 24, 2005, 11:47 PM
Mo-seen, Nah-gahn, or so I'm told. The Russians never even called it that, just the Mosin 3 line rifle.

Eightball
July 24, 2005, 11:50 PM
Laphroaig.WTH? You got me :o . La-four-egg?

Rockstar
July 24, 2005, 11:55 PM
I get a chuckle when some folks on TV pronounce "heinous" as "he-ne-us"!!!

entropy
July 24, 2005, 11:56 PM
Cheska shabro-OH-vka, Mo-SEEN Na-GAN, Yesh-NOV-ka, at least in their native tounges; Czech, Russian (although Nagant is Belgian, the 't' is silent in this case, IIRC.), and Polish. I used to enjoy quite a bit of Jezynwoka in the fall and winter. Good for what ails ya! :D But of course, armoredman, you know White Horseradish will know the exact pronunciations. ;)

Sasha, the kid in "Enemy at the Gates" pronounced Mosin Nagant as 'MOY-sin NAH-gint. Funny how all those Russians in that movie has English accents. ;)

Hek-lur Und Cook, is the closest you'll get. In English there is no direct representation of the hard 'ch' in German.

La-Frog, IIRC. Used to be into good single malts back when I drank. :o

НаЗдровий! (Holding up a shot of Jezynowka, if I still drank!) :cool:

Flyboy
July 25, 2005, 12:43 AM
La-froyg. And yes, it's a fine single malt, especially if you like them smoky, dark, and peaty.

Pity I'm out.

Mal H
July 25, 2005, 12:46 AM
Yep - la-froyg ... and I'm not. ;)

earthworm
July 25, 2005, 08:15 AM
Is it "car-BINE" or "car-BEAN"?

StopTheGrays
July 25, 2005, 10:00 AM
How come Arkansas is not pronounced "Are-kans-as" or Kansas is not pronounced "Kan-saw"??? :confused:

Oh...and for the record Wisconsin is pronouced "Wis-con-sin" not "Wes-con-sin" or "Wa-scon-sin". No one seems to get it right on TV. :(

scout26
July 25, 2005, 10:21 AM
In my several years in the Army APFSDS rounds were pronounced as: "SAY-bow". Never heard it called anything else.

The "t" is silent.

Just like the the "C" in Rap. :barf:

Billmanweh
July 25, 2005, 10:28 AM
I'm sure someone has brought this one up before, but how do you pronounce "Hoppes"?

Texian Pistolero
July 25, 2005, 10:36 AM
My understanding is that both ways of saying "Caribbean" are considered correct.

TMM
July 25, 2005, 10:43 AM
here's how i say things:

Seska bro-jove-kah
[ceska zbrojovja]

Car-bine
[carbine]

Heckler and kaw-shh
[Heckler Koch]

Moh-zin nah-jant
[Mosin Nagant]

hop-s
[hoppes]

sah-bot
[sabot]

~TMM

Kurush
July 25, 2005, 11:09 AM
M1 Carbine:______________em wun car-bean
M4 Carbine:______________em for car-buyn
Ceska Zbrojovkaxyzxcgdsf:_see-zee
Mosin Nagant:____________em-en
Appetizer:_______________hors d'oeuvres

effengee
July 25, 2005, 12:04 PM
"Lady, I only speak two languages: english and bad english."
-Corbin Dallas (Bruce Willis) "The Fifth Element"

I usually try to pronounce things as close to the original language as possible. However, my Vermont twang often gets in the way, so here it goes:
Sabot - Sah-bow
Hoppe's- Hops
Koch- Coke with an almost (And I do mean almost) audible "ha" sound at the end, although I've been known to say it "Kotch" like former NYC Mayor Ed Koch would pronounce it himself, I generally use a simple "Aich en kay"
Sauer- Sour
Mosin-Nagant- Moe-zin Na-gant
Carbine- Car-bean
Sturmgewehr- Sturm-gah-vair
.30-06- Thirty Aught Six

Working in the foodservice industry I can honestly say that I always used to call "Hors d'oeuvres" "Whores dee ovaries" when I was in the kitchen and pronounce it as "Aww Dervzz" when near patrons of the diningroom.
Cog-nack and Cone-yak according to my bartender friend are both correct as he knows exactly what drink you want, regardless of how it's pronounced...
He's not even French, but he gets mad when I call the California sparkling white a "Sham-Pain"

I worked as an auto parts salesman for a while and never got over the humor to be found when a customer asked for a "Cadillac converter" "Cataclystic converter" or a "catalactic converter" for the exhaust system. I was also informed by a corporate headquarters guy from Virginia that "Motor Oil" is pronounced: "Moe-tore-ALL" and NOT "Moe-der-oy-ill" like us Vermonter's say.

It also helps to know what else to call something:

I once sold a guy a clutch kit.
Less than an hour later he returned and with a completely serious face told me that said clutch kit was for a "manual" transmission but he had "standard"
I bit my tongue and held back the inevitable fit of laughter while assuring him that "manual" was the technical term for "standard"
But there lies the difference:
If I am anywhere that english is spoken and guns are sold and I say that I need Sah-bows and the guy does anything other than sell me a package of little plastic bullet doo-dads and thank me for my patronage, then I won't be going there again. If he decides to laugh his "Saw-butt" off after I leave the parking lot, then really there was no harm done.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has ever pulled a "Cliff Claven" on someone.
"Well, you know, Norm, the correct pronounciation is derived from an ancient Mesopotamian word meaning blahblahblahyakityyak"

jimbo

Boats
July 25, 2005, 12:27 PM
A Pet Peeve of mine and especially aimed for Mike Turico of ESPN if he ever Googles himself:

The word is OREGON. It is pronounced OR-GUIN. NOT ARGON, ORYGUN, ORYGON-E, or any other idiotic pronounciation using extra syllables or using letters that are not in the word.

And the river valley here is based on the WIL-LAM-ETTE River, not the WILLA-MET river.

I can't stand people who are paid mainly to talk about stuff on TV and can't be bothered to do a little research and blunt their accented misconceptions.

Oh and to get it gun related, I have always been told that it is the M-1 Guh-rand rifle not the M-1 Gare-rand rifle. Right?

Feanaro
July 25, 2005, 01:17 PM
Heckler & Koch = Hek-lur and coke.

Coke is the correct English pronunciation. The German is a little harder. The end of the word sounds a bit like you are saying ch, as in church, and getting ready to spit on someone.

http://hkpro.com/koch.wav

Cesiumsponge
July 25, 2005, 03:21 PM
We have a lot of Native American cities, rivers, landmarks, etc. I hear all sorts of crazy version sof Puyallup, Chehalis, Nisqually, Puget Sound, Clallam, etc. Heck, I don't know most of them myself, only the cities around me.

The funniest slaughtered word is Nooksack. I'll leave the rest to imagination.

hillbilly
July 25, 2005, 05:36 PM
StopTheGrays.

Arkansas is the English version of the French corruption of a Native American word. So there ain't no telling why it's spelled like it is.

It used to be spelled Arkansaw a long time ago.

In fact, some folks still insist that residents of Arkansas are properly called Arkansawyers, not Arkansans.

Arkansan is, I suspect, the one the Arkansas department of tourism or some such group, picked because it didn't as hillbilly as Arkansawyer.

hillbilly

Kurush
July 25, 2005, 07:23 PM
Coke is the correct English pronunciation. The German is a little harder. The end of the word sounds a bit like you are saying ch, as in church, and getting ready to spit on someone.
Most Americans already know this sound, even if they don't know they know it. It's the same sound as the "ch" in Bach, loch, and Chanukah. I usually pronounce it the German way, I like the way it sounds. :)

JohnBT
July 25, 2005, 07:31 PM
My grandfather was born in 1891 in the Shennandoah Valley near Waynesboro Virginia. That's near Staunton which is pronounced Stan-ton, and not all that far from Buena Vista which is pronounced Bewna Vista. Anyway, he was taught in school that Arkansas was pronounced Ar-kansas.

John

P.S. - I knew the pronounciation of Laphroaig, but I'd forgotten that I bought a new bottle. Thanks for the reminder, I'm sitting here sipping some out of an antique Old Crow shotglass. :uhoh:

10 Ring Tao
July 25, 2005, 09:16 PM
I've got to go with the instructor, from when he introduced us to the .50BMG Saboted Light Armor Penetrator, SLAP rounds.

Să-but.

Add an -ed on the end to denote an adjective, and pronouncing it the french way just sounds silly.

wolf_from_wv
July 25, 2005, 11:43 PM
carbine seems to be car-bean around here.

A car can have an earl far (oil fire), if it spreads, it can develop into a tar far (tire fire...)...

I wonder if my truck could use a new "cataclysmic" convertor... :D

Heard someone one the news talking about the Pot - o - mac (as in pots and pans) River and the Can - o - waw (Kanawha - pronounced like "can" of beans) River...

WvaBill
July 26, 2005, 09:01 AM
Heard someone one the news talking about the Pot - o - mac (as in pots and pans) River and the Can - o - waw (Kanawha - pronounced like "can" of beans) River...

That's just silly. Everyone knows it is ka naw HA. :rolleyes:

:banghead:

Billmanweh
July 26, 2005, 09:37 AM
Leupold is pronounced loop-hold, right?

Mal H
July 26, 2005, 10:14 AM
According to Fred, hisownself, Leupold is pronounced more like loo-pold. I tried to find the sound bite I had where he pronounced his own name, but it is gone I fear.

hillbilly
July 26, 2005, 10:57 AM
In Arkansas, there is a city called El Dorado.

In Arkansas, it is pronounced "Ell Doh-RAY-doh."

It is not pronounced "Ell Doh-RAH-doh" as it would be in Espanol......Conquistadors, lost city of gold...that sort of thing.

hillbilly

Tankcommander
July 26, 2005, 10:17 PM
As a tanker for 27 years we only called it say-bow.
As in, "gunner say-bow tank". Making sure everyone on the crew understood what you are talking about is critical since the loader has to load the right round and the gunner has imput the proper round into the computer, other wise you don't hit the target.

TC

CB900F
July 26, 2005, 10:25 PM
Fella's;

Once upon a time, a long-long time ago, I spent the better part of a year in France. I'm proud to Americanize the pronunciation whenever possible (read mangle). After all, to paraphrase, "When in America, do as the Americans do". Long live the apostrophe.

Even their guns are second-rate.

900F

Sistema1927
July 27, 2005, 01:59 PM
Tankers in my former unit used to pronounce it "say-bot."

They must have been some ignorant tankers. At the Armor School, it was always pronounced properly.

Sistema1927
July 27, 2005, 02:05 PM
Tankcommander:
"gunner say-bow tank".

UP!

Frandy
July 27, 2005, 02:13 PM
Sorry, but both my wife and I agree that we like Rum and Coke better than Heck-Lur and Coke. :neener:

scout26
July 27, 2005, 02:47 PM
Quote:
"gunner say-bow tank".

UP!

FROM MY POSITION, ON THE WAY !!!!

I swear that shooting a 120 smooth bore IS THE MOST FUN(tm) you can have with your clothes on !!!!

heypete
July 27, 2005, 04:15 PM
I swear that shooting a 120 smooth bore IS THE MOST FUN(tm) you can have with your clothes on !!!!

Quite so. :)

I miss my tank.

The "clunk-ping" of the base of the round ("aftcap"? I forget...) ejecting and falling into the basket was quite satisfying.

Many fun videos and pictures are available of one of my LTs in the sandbox here: http://www.clubi.ie/exalted/sightssounds.htm

STW
July 27, 2005, 06:44 PM
This discussion is way over my head.

I was in 4th grade before I found out that protestant wasn't pro-test-ant. I'd heard it pronounced properly but never understood the connection between the written and spoken form. That's what happens when you're a Mormon kid in a Catholic neighborhood.

Can you say Browning. ;)

Eightball
July 27, 2005, 07:04 PM
Even their [the french] guns are second-rate.Whoa, they have guns still? In my household, they're referred to as "cheese-eating surrender monkeys" :p . So, who cares how "they" say words relating to weapons of war should be pronounced? I don't :neener: . Flame suit on :rolleyes: .

Mannlicher
July 27, 2005, 07:09 PM
www.dictionary.com

Sistema1927
July 27, 2005, 07:22 PM

You guys in the Abrams had it cushy. My experience was with a 105 in an M60. Lot's of fun, but a pretty bumpy ride, and forget about accuracy while on the run.

LiquidTension
July 27, 2005, 07:51 PM
Nuclear is NOT pronounced "nukular" - I HATE that, and I correct anyone I hear say it that way. I wish Bush would get it right :rolleyes:

Heckler and Koch is pronounced "HK" by the people that work there :neener:

There's a street in Columbia named Huger. The correct pronounciation is "yew-GEE" - most people not from here never get it right. They might get so far as "HYEW-gee," but to most out of towners it's just "hyu-ger."

GunnySkox
July 27, 2005, 10:48 PM
Let's see:
vowels should be obvious, less obvious ones are in parentheses

Mosin Nagant = mO-sin n(uh)-g(ah)nt

Heckler & Koch = Hecklur and k(ah)(that hocking sound you make with the back of your throat) OR Aitch and Kay

Carbine = c(ah)r-bean

Czeska Zbrojovka (sp?) = Cee Zee :p

Sabot = say-bow

Powhite (tribe of indians and tollway in Richmond, VA) = po'-white

Pepsi = Vile heathendevilpagan and your heinous crime against tastebuds! Begone from my sight!

~Slam_Fire

hillbilly
July 27, 2005, 11:07 PM
Okay, here's one more.

I own a Makarov.

I'm from Arkansas, and I say it "MACK-uh-roff."

A friend of mine is from Mongolia, and can speak Russian, and in fact went to a military academy type thing in Russia during his two-year stint in the Mongolian army.

He saw my pistol once, and said, "Hey, is that a muh-KAHR-ov?"

hillbilly

ietrash
July 28, 2005, 08:44 PM
Hey Hillbilly,
You beat me to L DOE RAY DOE.
Speaking of Arkansas, they've got some counties that are pronounced a little differently, like: Nevada
instead of saying " nah vah da " , they say " neh vey da ".
And Layfayette, is pronounced " luh fay it ".
Oh yea, to make it gun related I've got a J. P. Sauer Model 90 in .270 Win.
"Sour"
:D

SHOOT1SAM
July 29, 2005, 01:12 AM
Well, I'll play:

How about......Walther and Kahles?

I pronounce it Ore-u-gun.

It's Nuhv-add-uh, not Nuh-Vahda.

It's Miz-urry, not Miz-uhr-uh.

And it IS Loo-pold, not Loop-hold. Call 'em up & see how they answer the phone!

I think it's Are-can-sans because Are-can-sawyers is too dang close to Are-can-lawyers !!

Quote: Husker1911-Geez, if it weren't for Americans riding to the rescue in two world wars, the pronunciation would definitely have a Germanic influence. Too True, Husker;

BTW: it's Vall-ter and Call-us

Sam

QuickDraw
July 29, 2005, 01:12 AM
I think you'll find "sabot" related to another word: "sabotage."

Curly on the Three Stooges pronounces it"sabatoogy" :D

QuickDraw

GunnyBob
July 29, 2005, 01:36 AM
True story. Am in a restaurant in Kentucky and order Fettucine Alfredo. Waitress continues to look upon me as if I've asked for the head of Alfredo Garcia and half a cup of warm fat, until I realize I've been pronouncing it all wrong. Fe-Too-Chi-Nee is how the young lady corrected me, and uttered Vi-oh-La with a flourish when she at long last brought the meal.

jaysouth
July 29, 2005, 02:35 AM
I've got this noxous weed in my yard called lion's teeth.

My neighbor trys to impress me by calling it by its french name dan-dee-line.

Actually its dans d'lion. If he can't properly pronounce the french, I wish he would stick to the English name.

One thing about them furreners for sure is that they got a different word for everything.

SHOOT1SAM
July 29, 2005, 08:55 AM
GunnyBob: I love that announcer who said that about Alfredo Garcia's head!!

I was in a buffet line somewhere, struck up a conversation with two guys from Kentucky. I asked them, "What is the correct pronunciation of the capitol of Kentucky? Is it Loo-E-Vill, or Loo-is-vill?"

These two actually were on the verge of a semi (hmm, is that sem-ee, or sem-eye?) serious argument about which was the correct way, Frenchie-French pronunciation, the common pronunciation, etc., when I said "Guys, isn't it correctly pronounced......Frankfort?" The looks on their faces were priceless. :evil:

Sam

Mal H
July 29, 2005, 10:45 AM
If he can't properly pronounce the french, I wish he would stick to the English name.

:D

I love what Mark Twain said along those lines. (Going on memory alone, so consider this a paraphrasing.) He was visiting in Paris and wrote that he was very impressed with the French and their education system, "Why, it seems that even the little four year old children can speak fluent French!"

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you pronounce these words:" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!