Its just too hot to go shooting...

PDA

Lone_Gunman
July 24, 2005, 06:16 PM
Anybody else had this problem this weekend? We are sweltering down here in the Peach State.

It is currently 95 degrees, heat index is 103 degrees, and humidity is 65%. This is at 5 oclock in the afternoon! Its been this way for the past couple of weeks. I think we need some hurricanes to blow us in some wind and rain and cool things off for a while.

I tried to go shooting, and was literally soaking wet within about an hour.

If you enjoyed reading about "Its just too hot to go shooting..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sumpnz
July 24, 2005, 06:19 PM
Only 95? THat would be a heck of a relief here. And spare me the "but it's a dry heat" crap. 115 is damn hot, no matter the humidity.

El Tejon
July 24, 2005, 06:20 PM
Could be worse. You could be out on the range all weekend like me. :D

But, I get to shoot under the watchful eye of THE Pat Rogers. :D

joab
July 24, 2005, 06:33 PM
Even after last year I would welcome a light tropical storm or two.

I am spraying lawns now, at least through Aug, the thought of doing anything outdoors on my off time has not even entered my mind

Eightball
July 24, 2005, 06:34 PM
Yes, it's been blazing up here in Louisville, roughly the same conditions as in the original post. However, I did go shooting on a buddy's horse farm (he was there, if anyone cares to ask), from under a tree :D . Only after our range session was finished did we realize that the majority of our shots skipped off the ground and into his fence :uhoh: :what: . But, other than that--screw nature, if I want to shoot, I shoot......unless my range is flooded :banghead: (which has happened before :eek: ).

chenzzo
July 24, 2005, 06:39 PM
Went to the range down here last Wednesday, and even under the awning at 8:30 in the morning I has sweat dripping down in my shooting glasses. It was worth it though....always is.

Lone_Gunman
July 24, 2005, 06:40 PM
Sumpnz... yea, but at least its a dry heat!

Seriously, I was out in Nevada earliere this year, and it was over a 100, but I swear this seems worse. Sweat just won't dry, and if sweat won't dry, your body's natural cooling system is useless.

Cesiumsponge
July 24, 2005, 06:47 PM
Anything above 80-85F here in WA is considered hot and most people aren't adjusted to weather that warm...and it's been hitting above that a few times each week for the last month, with humidity. Not many people here have A/C to combat it. I'd rather run around outside in sub-freezing snow with shorts on!

Kamicosmos
July 24, 2005, 06:53 PM
KC area has been hot too, pushing 100 and while humidity has been somewhat low for this time of year, it's still muggy and miserable!

Haven't been outside much. But, did shoot a pin match on an un-air conditioned range. Was soaked with sweat, and I was taking a break to step out to the air conditioned shop after each round! Sheesh. Times like this make me look at Montana...

(Course, in January, when it will be -10, wind chill of -30, and ice on the roads, I'll be wanting to move to Arizona!!)

BryanP
July 24, 2005, 06:56 PM
Bleh. It's currently 95 with a heat index of 105 here as well. Too hot to do much of anything outside. Especially for those of us sporting "extra" insulation ... The only shooting related things I've done today are to sort out the junk from the last range trip, putting ammo back in the right places, etc..

I went outside to trim the weeds in the ditch at the street. Decided that was enough yard work.

Bob The Big Dumb Dog wanted to go out and play. I went out there with him threw the ball across the yard. He looked at me as if to say "Are you out of your effing mind?" :uhoh:

That was enough outdoors for today. I've been inside working/playing on various things the rest of the day.

Oh, and sumpnz ...And spare me the "but it's a dry heat" crap. 115 is damn hot, no matter the humidity.

A buddy of mine who used to live in Alamogordo New Mexico had a standard response to the "But it's a dry heat" line. "Yeah? So's fire." :D These days he lives in Seattle.

Don Gwinn
July 24, 2005, 06:57 PM
According to the wall thermometer, it's 93 in my living room right now. :fire:

No wonder I can't cool off . . . . I've got dinner in the oven in the kitchen; when that's done, I'm going to take it to my lovely wife and kids upstairs in the air conditioning and watch movies.

If it's like this tomorrow, we'll spend the day touring bookstores and going to the movies again.

Declaration Day
July 24, 2005, 07:05 PM
It's been deathly hot here in MI, too.

I own a lawnservice company, and after my work days are over, I retire to the air condition.

Until we get some relief, any unnecessary outdoor activities are suspended.

Thankfully though, we've been getting enough rain to sustain the lawns in this heat.

AK103K
July 24, 2005, 07:06 PM
...heat index is 103 degrees,
Dont ya just love the heat index? After all these years, they finally got something for the summer(to make you feel hotter), to go with along with the wind chill in the winter. :)

Then again, those of us who work outside, all day, year round, dont ever seem to die form these horrible extremes. I guess it must be because I'm from that elderly generation that had to walk to the range to shoot, uphill both ways, barefoot, in only 98* weather. I guess this heat index thing is for the "new" generation. :)

Dave Dembinski
July 24, 2005, 07:07 PM
Yikes! When it gets that hot, I figure it's time to give my pistols a work-out . . . at the indoor range. ;) Sure, it's a bit of a drive, but then again the car has AC and the apartment doesn't.

Cesiumsponge
July 24, 2005, 07:18 PM
I forgot to add...

Last time I went shooting when it was hot, I had plugs and muffs. When I started to sweat, the muffs trapped moisture and made my glasses fog up like a car windshield on prom night. I took 'em off and it went away, but plugs by themselves aren't quite enough ear protection to satisfy me.

Can't win!

bearmgc
July 24, 2005, 07:23 PM
Haven't been out shooting in almost a month, with temps in the upper 90's. Tried to go up in the mountains last evening and the swarms of mosquitos were unbelievable, couldn't shoot for swattin. I feel like I'm a prisoner in my air conditioned home, heehee. :o

Monkeyleg
July 24, 2005, 07:27 PM
It was 97 here in WI today, with enough humidity to push the index well over 100 degrees.

I just can't shoot in hot weather, or certainly not shoot halfway decently. My hands sweat, my eyeballs sweat, and my brain boils.

It wasn't quite so bad when our club had a roof over the shooting benches; at least there was some protection from the sun. But now those are gone.

About the only thing I got done today was take my wife's car to the car wash. Mine can stay dirty, since it doesn't have A/C.

Tag
July 24, 2005, 07:31 PM
It's been deathly hot here in MI, too.

Tell me about it... I've been working on the shore of Lake Superior and it's still been over 90...

NMshooter
July 24, 2005, 07:36 PM
Do not care about heat, cold, rain, snow, or even the nasty wind that often brings dust storms reminiscent of Saudi Arabia.

If I want to go shooting (or any other outdoor activity, for that matter) I pack my things and head out the door.

ezypikns
July 24, 2005, 07:41 PM
100 degrees and 60% humidity!

Bill2k1
July 24, 2005, 08:16 PM
Its 95 here today, feels like 108. I wonder how they get the feels like temp?

Souris
July 24, 2005, 08:28 PM
I shot a pistol match yesterday on an outdoor range.
By the time that the match was over there was no one around to see the scores; just me, my buddy and the match directors. Usually we sit around and jaw, test handloads or bond with a new gun; yesterday we sat down to jaw and realized that we all wanted to be somewhere cooler instead!

I have needed to clean and oil my carry piece every single day this week. It doesn't look like next week is going to be any better :( I think that I may wear it out just keeping it sweatfree and oiled every day!

Larry Ashcraft
July 24, 2005, 08:41 PM
Hit 99 here today. THR member bratch and I went out to the range to try out his new Veprs. At least we had the place to ourselves.

Yesterday it was 105, and we were trying to have an outdoor birthday party for my grandson. Imagine twenty some 4 year olds (and nine horses) trying to stay cool AND have fun. Nature intervened and a thunderstorm came through about 3:00, the temperature dropped 20 degrees.

July 24, 2005, 08:44 PM
Yes, I have the same problem.
I am normally a very active shooter. But, I haven't shot in a month. It is too hot. For the past week it has been close to 120 degrees. 120 degrees of dry heat :barf: Wouldn't you love to have been there when the early settlers were crossing Death Valley to tell them: Yeah, but it's a dry heat ? :D
We won't talk about the fact that it rained all night or about how it was raining so hard when I was driving home from work this morning that I almost had to pull over. And I won't mention the fact that I am currently working in Laughlin NV where it is even hotter than Las Vegas and has the Colorado River running right past town. :eek:
So, the other day, I decided that I was going to go shooting. I went to an indoor range and shot a Ruger Mk. II. I hadn't been to an indoor range in 10 years at least. I hate indoor ranges. But, I was happy to have a place where I could shoot something.
I skipped my usual monthly matches that I practically never miss: I just don't enjoy it when it is this hot. One thing I will say for Nevada. This horrible heat only lasts a couple months of the year. Next winter, when it is in the 70s during the day, I will be out every day. :neener:
But, I have decided to make this indoor range shooting a regular thing. I have been neglecting my handgun shooting in favor of rifle shooting. So, shooting indoors might be just what the doctor ordered for something a little different.

AK-74me
July 24, 2005, 08:47 PM
I had to qualify this week. Laying on blacktop in mid-day sun 95 degrees and humitity through the roof it wasn't fun.

Lennyjoe
July 24, 2005, 09:07 PM
Hot, its not hot. I spent the majority of today in my garage loading .223 ammo. The thermometer showed 97 in there and I thought it was comfortable. :neener:

denfoote
July 24, 2005, 09:49 PM
I headed out to the range yesterday. I got out of there at about 1100. The temp was pushing 100 degrees and the dew points here in the vast Sonoran desert are also pushing up into the fifties!! I was going to head out again this morning!! I even got up at the crack of dawn, then decided to go back to bed!! Having to get up while it is still dark out just to shoot is just wrong!! :evil:

MillCreek
July 24, 2005, 10:07 PM
Ditto to what Cesiumsponge said. I am a Seattle-area native, and we start to moan and complain when it gets above 75. When it gets up to 85-90 degrees, as it does for a few days every year, we tend to go en masse to the malls and movie theaters. Almost no one up here has air conditioning in their homes.

But I was in Dallas two weeks ago for a seminar, and the high 90's, low 100's degree temperatures with the high humidity had me 'fixin to die', as they say down there in Dallas. I was never so happy to return to my mid-60's and cloudy weather in Seattle!

shermacman
July 24, 2005, 10:17 PM
Just six months ago we had three feet of snow on the ground. The wind was off the ocean at 40mph which brought in that abysmal raw cold that made 10 degrees seem life-threatening.

Today was 92 degrees! I love it!

RnR
July 24, 2005, 11:00 PM
:neener: Aw heck, fellas...

Just to provide a counterpoint, I headed down to the range to sight-in my Elcan after I read all of this sweaty negativism. I used my all Teflon Olympic Speedo "heavy" considerin' all the humidity hanging in the HOT air, but still managed to get the job done.

To top off the evening, I'm going to toss The Day the Earth Caught Fire in the VCR and faint.

Forgive the 200-yd target (on the left) as I was huffin' & puffin' a bit more than usual this evening!! 50-yd looks respectable though...

(BTW - This is my one of my first posts, so I hope I get the pics right.)

Sam
July 24, 2005, 11:05 PM
We just got done with 40 days over 100.

It's still a dry heat.

Sam :D

Roadkill
July 24, 2005, 11:18 PM
I just got in, took my one year old 80lb Lab down to a his favorite local play spot. Sixty deg water runs out of of a cave into about a 20x50 yard pool before it runs down into a creek, I waded into up to my knees to play with him. Man it felt good. Played in the water with him for nearly two hours. Its been 97 here today.

rk

Roadwild17
July 24, 2005, 11:26 PM
In Louisiana it often gets to 95-100 in the shade, add to that a humidity of at least 90% and your looking at a heat index of around 110-115!

ExtremeDooty
July 24, 2005, 11:58 PM
We've been breaking records just about every day for the past couple of weeks in western Colorado. 100-106 daily and yeah it's a "dry heat." So exactly how is a dry heat supposed to feel better? When I first moved here, people told me "we don't need air conditioning here." I no longer consider these people my friends.

I just joined a great gun club a month ago and I've only been able to go once.

taliv
July 25, 2005, 12:10 AM
been in the 90s on both temp and humidity in middle TN, and they're predicting 98 and 97 the next two days normally, i can't stand temperature over 80 or under 40, but this spring, for some reason, i've just really started to enjoy it. standing on the HP line in glaring sun, with a couple layers (and a heavy black leather shooting jacket) holding a black AR that's been sitting in the sun.

i've been averaging 3 liters of water and 4 liters of gatorade and sweating every drop out.

i wouldn't complain if it was a cool 60 degrees, but i'm enjoying shooting in the heat this year.

however, i'm not enjoying mowing my yard.

actually, now that i think about it... my 300 yrd zero the past two weekends has been two whole minutes lower than it was in the spring. i'm pretty sure it's the heat. i can't wait to see what it's like at perry next week.

cracked butt
July 25, 2005, 12:50 AM
98 degrees by me today. When I got to work, I read one of our humidistats and it read 78% humidity. :barf: We had a thunderstorm yesterday followed by high heat today.

sumpnz
July 25, 2005, 01:38 AM
i've been averaging 3 liters of water and 4 liters of gatorade and sweating every drop out. Then you're not drinking enough. Add at least another couple liters of water (the gatorade is already probably overkill).

Darkside852003
July 25, 2005, 01:47 AM
I went outside with the dogs for 10 minutes. I couldn't even imagine my usal 2-3 hour range session in this heat.

Bullet
July 25, 2005, 01:58 AM
I did not go to the range this weekend. To darn HOT!!

Kurush
July 25, 2005, 02:13 AM
I haven't been shooting in over a month :( First I cut myself and needed 7 stitches on my trigger finger, then just as it healed the weather went crazy. It's supposed to cool down to the low 80s on weds & thurs though so I'm hopeful. My AR has been giving me this look, just like my dog does when he needs a walk :uhoh: :D

Big_R
July 25, 2005, 11:37 AM
I went out Sunday morning around 8:00 and it was already 80 deg to play with a Savage '99 I've had for a while. Handloads shot good (a little over 1" at 125 yards). Even better, though, someone left me 50 rounds of .22 hornet brass on the ground. I like free brass.

Ryan

Justang
July 25, 2005, 11:39 AM
I had to wait until 7:30pm for the temp to get to 112. Then I went out.
Need to wake up earlier.

Billmanweh
July 25, 2005, 11:46 AM
the high was like 96 here yesterday and my friends and I did an all day carbine class and I don't remember anyone complaining about the heat

;)

JohnBT
July 25, 2005, 12:42 PM
"So exactly how is a dry heat supposed to feel better?"

Your perspiration evaporates and provides some cooling. I liked the weather in Vegas because I'd get out of the pool and my trunks would dry in 4 or 5 minutes.

Low humidity around here is a day like today - 70% so far and the temp is headed to 99* and over 100* tomorrow. You sweat sitting still and your skin stays wet, and your clothes never dry and your shoes are squishy. FWIW, the British Foreign Office declared D.C. a sub-tropical posting many years ago.

I wish they'd fix the office ac - it was 90* at 6:50 a.m. when I got here. :(

John

thatguy
July 25, 2005, 12:52 PM
Last half of June, all of July and August, first half of September I can't do it. I wilt in the heat and humidity. Got about half a dozen new guns hanging around that I haven't tried yet but it won't happen for at least another 6-8 weeks.

tc300mag1
July 25, 2005, 01:31 PM
To hot here to when i get done i just go home sit in the ac.. Mrs came home this morning and said it was like climbing into a freezer was 74 in house and all ready 90 outside at 8am

W Turner
July 25, 2005, 05:20 PM
It's been averaging 95 for the past week here in N Alabama with high humidity.

I would love to see 105 degrees worth of dry heat. Like someone else said, when the humidity is around 75% your sweat doesn't evaporate. It just clings to you and starts pooling in places. I was in southern AZ in late February, temps average 75-80 degrees and it felt a little chilly to me when the wind would blow.

W

armoredman
July 25, 2005, 05:32 PM
Between June and October I shoot indoor only....I can't get up that early....

Davo
July 25, 2005, 06:40 PM
Hotter than Vegas all the time!
Last week it was 125 with 45% humidity.
Typical lows right now are about 88, its over
100 at 7 am! I try not to go outside, which sucks cause
ive got a new k31 im itching to shoot for the first time.

dcloudy777@aol.com
July 25, 2005, 06:53 PM
Was I the only one stupid enough to shoot not one but TWO matches yesterday in the 100-degree heat? I must have sweated off 10 pounds, pouring water down as fast as I could chug it. But hey, it's still better than not shooting...

DanO

hompac
July 25, 2005, 07:04 PM
It's never too hot to 'pepper" some clay. In the old days, I'd say it's never too hot to "pepper" some pigeons, Coal Region (Anthracite Region), pre -animal rites activists days. .30 cents a pair now those were the days! Oh well, it's nice to remember when.

Feanaro
July 25, 2005, 07:23 PM
95 degrees would keep you from going to the range? That registers "mild heat" on my temp. scale. :scrutiny: Heck, I walked for two hours during the afternoon today, it was 93 with around 60% humidity. Bunch'a old geezers... ;)

esheato
July 26, 2005, 02:22 AM
Sat the 23rd 106
Sun the 24th 100
Mon the 25th 101

I averaged seven hours a day at the range. Portable shade and lots of fluid make it barely tolerable. ;)

I'll be there tomorrow too.

It's good to be on vacation, even if the guns are too hot to touch. :D

Ed

TonyB
July 26, 2005, 12:36 PM
Yeah..I went shooting last thursday..it said it was going to be less humid than it has been...after about an hour I was wiped out......I'm too fat for hot weather shooting..in fact I'm skipping IDPA tonight because it's going to be 93 and humid..it's no fun shooting when you can't breathe.....
When my range membership is due in dec. I'm joining a different range that has a better indoor range,that way too hot or too cold won't matter......Not that too cold is usually an issue for me.... ;)

No_Brakes23
July 26, 2005, 12:50 PM
Too hot to shoot?

No such thing.

I used to go shooting in Yuma AZ where it gets to 120 and contrary to popular notions about AZ, there IS humidity. I really leaned to not like my Remington Nylon 77, that thing is no fun to shoot after about 5 mins of direct sunlight.

Still there is something to be said for a well ventilated range with A/C, or a nice patch of shade with a good breeze.

The Freeholder
July 26, 2005, 01:35 PM
Sorry guys, but here in NC it's been heat and high humidity for several weeks, and I haven't missed a Saturday yet.

We are due for a nice break this weekend, though. Low 80s and lower humidity.

LeonCarr
July 26, 2005, 02:02 PM
The worst day shooting is better than the best day working :).

Sunny and 100 plus, with 50-60% humidity, is great shooting weather. It is much better than trying to shoot in the monsoon type rain we have been having here lately. Besides, I just feel better when I know my firearms will perform in adverse conditions. I have shot in weather ranging from 3 degrees to 114 degrees (both extremes in the same town), and every type of precipitation (rain, sleet, snow).

The heat is not that bad if you stay hydrated and wear sunscreen.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

WayneConrad
July 26, 2005, 03:23 PM
Everyone loves those cool, comfortable days. But when it gets hot, there's no line at Ben Avery, and I like that just fine, too.

Fun things to do when it's 105 in the shade:

Try to get a stable sitting position when sweat is making your arms and legs perfectly frictionless.

Try to shoot your blaster without it slipping around in your hands like a bar of soap.

Enjoy how fast the RSO can clear the line when all the fair-weather shooters went home.

Drink several quarts of water an hour and never have to pee.

But I figure that if the odds fail me and I have to fire shots to save my life, it's not likely that there will be anything comfortable about the situation. Might as well learn how to shoot when it ain't comfortable.

hso
July 26, 2005, 03:58 PM
It wasn't hot enough to keep us from shooting Sunday, but it was sure hot enough to keep us from staying out more than an hour (even with Jer breaking in a new P14 and my trying out my "new" CZ75 "A")

LiquidTension
July 26, 2005, 04:20 PM
100, feels like 111 right now with 44% humidity. I HATE being hot, but I can't move up north because of all the yankees :neener:

Yanus
July 26, 2005, 04:32 PM
Here is Charlotte, where I am working, it is so hot that the Baptists are sprinkling and the Methodists are using a damp cloth......... :D

Yanus

Lennyjoe
July 26, 2005, 04:53 PM
I play golf during the week and usually tee off around noon. By then the temp is in the low 100's. If that ain't hot, I don't know what is.

If you enjoyed reading about "Its just too hot to go shooting..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!