CUrio and Relic


Eskimo Jim
July 24, 2005, 08:55 PM
I'm ready to take the plunge into the Curio and Relic licensing situation. I haven't had much skill at navigating through the BATFE's website. I have several questions which I hope that someone could help me out with.

Do I need to call them to request a FFL Curio and Relic license?
Is there just one FFL form or packet to fill out that has a check box that fill out to distinquish my application as Curio and Relic as opposed to Dealer, manufacturer etc?

Thank you for your help.


If you enjoyed reading about "CUrio and Relic" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
July 24, 2005, 09:05 PM

You can request the forms online, no need to call.

The application the BATF sends will be specific to C&R.

Get that C&R right away! I have had mine 3 short months and have already purchased 2 pistols and three rifles. You won't regret it. It is the best 30 bucks you can spend on your gun hobby.

July 24, 2005, 09:07 PM
If you go HERE ( you can order the form. The form # is F 7CR (5310.16). My girlfriend just did this and it took about a week or so for them to send it out. Just fill it out and as long as you have not be bad they will issue the lic. Good luck.

July 24, 2005, 10:38 PM
Don't forget the citizenship form as well, or they will not process it. I only bought three rifles so far, and saved $60 on transfer fees, after the $30 the license cost. Hopefully, I may even get to buy something else before it expires.... :mad:

July 24, 2005, 11:59 PM
Got my C&R at the beginning of the year and haven't used it on a firearm yet, but I have saved hundreds of dollars from Brownells alone.

Jim K
July 25, 2005, 03:03 PM
Check local and state laws first, especially on handguns. Some states not only don't recognize a C&R FFL, but it is against the law for anyone but a dealer to "import" some types of guns into the state.


Eskimo Jim
July 25, 2005, 08:13 PM
Thank you for the links and the help!!!

I saw the order form however I wasn't sure if I was going to end up with a regular FFL application rather than a Curio and Relic FFL application.


July 26, 2005, 12:00 AM
Ive got a few questions guys...
Does the atf need to periodically inspect your collection? (think i read that a while ago)
Can i say go into a local gun shop, and purchase a c and r rifle and leave with it on the spot? (say if i spot a keeper at big 5)
Since im in cali, can I buy from a private party out of state? Is it true handguns are exempt from c and r in cali?

July 26, 2005, 10:12 AM
Under CA law, C&R handguns must still be transferred through a regular FFL dealer. Long guns may be purchased directly by a C&R holder (including from out of state sellers FFL or no). Yeah, it sucks to live in CA if you're a gun owner.

In CA, a C&R holder may obtain an additional state permit to allow skipping the waiting period but you have to pay for the permit (now, THERE"S a big surprise).

I guess that a C&R holder in CA could take a C&R long gun home if the seller was willing to skip the waiting period and that would mean the dealer would have to be aware of the law. You would also, of course, have to enter the purchase in your log since you obtained it via the license rather than as an ordianary citizen.

July 26, 2005, 10:23 AM
Here is a short synopsis of the California laws concerning C&R firearms.

There is a lot of confusion around concerning the California regulations on C&R Firearms. The first thing to remember is that California, with few exceptions, requires all firearms transfers in the state to be processed through a dealer [Penal Code 12072(d)]. There is no exception for C&R FFL holders. There is however, an exception to the dealer transfer requirement for C&R rifles and shotguns that are over 50 years old. [PC 12078(t)(2)] This exception is available to anyone legally able to possess firearms. California doesn’t care if you are licensed or not, that’s a Federal matter. The 50 year rifle and shotgun exception is the reason that C&R FFL holders in California can receive these types of firearms directly from an out of state supplier.

The California definition for a C&R firearm is exactly the same as that used by BATF in 27CFR. California references both Title 18 and 27 CFR for the definition. If the Feds say a firearm is C&R, so does the California DOJ.

There are a couple of exceptions to the firearms laws that are available to C&R FFL holders. If the licensee also holds a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the California DOJ, they are exempt from the 10-day waiting period when buying C&R firearms from a dealer. [PC 12078(t)(1)] The same C&R FFL holder with a COE is also exempt from the one handgun a month law for both C&R and modern handguns. [PC 12072(a)(9)(B)] You also would not need a handgun safety certificate when purchasing C&R handguns. [PC 12807(a)(6)]

Where the C&R FFL comes in handy is when the holder is out of the state. They may purchase any C&R firearm and bring it back to California. The exceptions of course include those “evil” “assault weapons”; and magazines with a capacity greater than 10 rounds cannot be brought back. Any C&R handguns purchased must be registered with the California DOJ within 5 days and are reported on Form BCIA 4100A along with a $19.00 payment for each handgun. [PC 12072(f)(3)]

July 26, 2005, 10:26 AM
You would also, of course, have to enter the purchase in your log since you obtained it via the license rather than as an ordianary citizen.

Once you are licensed, all C&R firearms acquisitions must be logged in your "bound book". It doesn't matter if you used your license or not. BATF has put out several letters emphasizing that point.

July 27, 2005, 11:49 AM
thanks for all the answers guys. So does the ATF periodically inspect your bound book? How much is the 10 day wait waiver? I guess its not as worth it in cali, pretty much as I expected....but I can still save some cash and get some nice milsurps!

July 27, 2005, 12:10 PM
The ATF has the option of auditing your records (I think once a year). However, they are required to provide notification, and you can elect to bring the records to the closest office or do it at your house. I've never been asked to produce my bound book, and I doubt I ever will be. I have the impression the ATF periodically does random inspections of a sampling of C&R holders to analyze general trends in compliance. Of course, if you're doing anything foolish like buying cases of milsurp rifles and reselling them for profit, that might attract some extra attention.

If you enjoyed reading about "CUrio and Relic" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!