had a wierd expierance today

PDA

Peetmoss
March 22, 2003, 04:00 PM
I was getting out of my car after a trip to the range. While removing my cased 10/22 a little kid asked me what I had in my hand. Wasn't sure what to tell the kid because his mom was standing right there. So I told him a case. The little kid then proceeded to ask what was in it. His mom jumped right in saying it was a guitar. The very observant little kid chimed in saying it doesn't look like a guitar. His mom just kept lying to him. That kinda bugged me.

I see this now I have to fill in for the bus driver who drives this kid home from school. His mom is waiting for him and look who is driving her little angel home the phsyco with the rifle. I am just glad niether of them caught a glimpse of the Glock under my coat.

These freaking people make me sick.

If you enjoyed reading about "had a wierd expierance today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RON in PA
March 22, 2003, 04:14 PM
Problem is that those "freaking people" that make you and me and us "sick" look at you and me and us as freaking sick people. And I don't have any good suggestions as how to change this culture war.

Chuck Dye
March 22, 2003, 04:16 PM
"kinda bugged"???

Were there really any compelling reasons to tell the kid anything but the truth? I think that I am more bugged by your response than by hers. Am I missing something?

Don Gwinn
March 22, 2003, 04:34 PM
Have you wondered whether she just naturally assumed you didn't want the kid to know? She heard you deflect his question. If she had said "No, honey, he's lying, that's a gun" she probably figured it would be rude.

thumbtack
March 22, 2003, 04:39 PM
I believe you should have answered the kid honestly with a pleasant smile. If we continue to act as if like we are hiding something, we will continue to be treated with suspicion.

geekWithA.45
March 22, 2003, 05:04 PM
This is such a challenge for us, and arriving at a universal consensus would serve us well.

For those of ya'll who live in places where gun ownership isn't looked askance at, bear with the rest of us, OK? We're dealing with some real stuff here.

Closeting ourselves has inadvertently contributes to the social stigmata and the political marginalization of gun ownership.

I grew up in rural Connecticut, where just about every other house had a small armory. Gunfire in the woods was common at all times of the year. Children where taught properly, gun accidents and crime of any sort was absolutely zero. The town didn’t even have a functioning police force. (We did have an ageing constable, a ceremonial post held by a hero from WWII, whose main duty was to put on his uniform for the 4th of July Parade)

When I was in the 6th grade, Dad was transferred to NJ, and I’m still stuck here. A few years back, I returned to my old hometown with my bride, to show her where I grew up. Being a city girl, she never really believed anything I said about guns, dirt roads, unlocked doors, and people leaving the keys in their cars in case someone needed to move them.

We pulled up to a friend’s house, and sure enough, the keys where in the ignition, and the front door was unlocked.

When I pulled into the parking lot of the school on a Saturday, to show her where I spent my happy childhood, there was a father and son returning from the woods out back, with rifles slung over their shoulders, walking nonchalantly, chatting as fathers and sons will.

That was when I realized all the years of NJ socialization had really affected me. Even though I had grown up around guns, my first, most immediate reaction was one of alarm. Man…and kid…with guns…at school!

It took a moment for it to shake off, but the fact that it had initially alarmed me, well, alarmed me.

All because I had spent the last decade or so in apparently gun free NJ.

Well, my allies, we gotta turn this around.

I recognize that there are several tactical and crime targeting reasons why we want to stay low profile, and lead what Farnham calls a “stealth existence”, but I can’t square that with our increasing marginalization.

Make no doubt that in many places we DO suffer stigmatization. People’s reactions are unpredictable. Some panic, some take it in a matter of stride, and others take it as a matter of curiosity. Whenever possible, please try to take the opportunity as a teachable moment. The one lesson we must all focus on demonstrating as far and as wide as possible is simple:

Gun Owners are Not Violence Freaks, They Are Perfectly Decent People.

Peetmoss
March 22, 2003, 05:16 PM
"Were there really any compelling reasons to tell the kid anything but the truth? I think that I am more bugged by your response than by hers. Am I missing something?"

I told the kid the truth. I was carring a case in my hand. I wasn't given the chance to answer his second question. His mother chimmed in as soon as he finished his question.

I was vague because as I got of the car the mother told her son and the other kids around to get out of the way. She gave me the impression that she thought they were in danger by my cased rifle.

I probably should have said right off the bat to the kid that it is a rifle case. And I am excersising my 2nd Amendment rights as stated in the Constitution of the United States. But somehow I dought the kid as even heard of the Consitution.

Peetmoss
March 22, 2003, 05:26 PM
I don't think I was trying to hide anything at least in my appearance. I was wearing BDU's and a Glock hat. But yes I was being evasive with the kid. The mother might have assumed I didn't want the kid to know, now that you mention it but I dont' think that was the case.

I guess I could have been more open, I just didnt' want to freak out the anti's. I live in NY and there are alot of them although this was my first encounter with someone I suspect as an anti.

Peetmoss
March 22, 2003, 05:30 PM
Geek with a 45 that was a great post.

Chuck Dye
March 22, 2003, 08:22 PM
Peetmoss,

Thanks for the additional context. That known, I'd guess you handled the situation as well as it might have been handled, 'though it saddens me that it should be so.

Standing Wolf
March 22, 2003, 09:13 PM
When I was a kid, a great many adults gave me a great deal of nonsense instead of simple, straightforward answers to simple, straightforward questions.

Topgun
March 22, 2003, 09:32 PM
It's a mistake to call a gun anything but a gun to anyone.

Stop dancing to THEIR tune.

It doesn't help.

Lots of missed signals here, but the biggest miss was in not letting the kid know that a nice man had a gun.

cratz2
March 23, 2003, 05:09 PM
I am a proud gun owner and actively recruit new gun owners/users and actually own two guns for the sole purpose of allowing others, that I trust implicitly, access to become familier with them.

We have a 6 year old, a 2 year old and a 5 month old in the house. The parents of the kids that are allowed in our house know that I own firearms and, while some aren't ecstatic about it, all know and allow their children over. Having said that, one little girl comes over quite often and she has caught me with a gun while cleaning or whatever. I just tell her it's a toy but that kids shouldn't play with toy guns.

So call me a sellout if you must. I just think at 5 or 6 years of age, it's a bit too early to address rights given by the second ammendment but is never too safe to reinforce safety. ;)

PATH
March 23, 2003, 06:05 PM
The truth will set you free!

Peetmoss
March 23, 2003, 06:11 PM
Based on everything I have read in this thread I feel I was being to evasive with the kid. I should have been more honest with the child.

I am still impressed by this kid though. He was very observant. He new his mom was lying to him. Maybe I will go back to carry of long guns I had during hunting season. Openly slung over my shoulder.

Jesse H
March 23, 2003, 06:13 PM
Reminds me of when I was at Barnes and Nobles :barf: yesterday. I was in the Sports section looking for a gun book for my buddy.

A mom and her kid were looking for books on weapons for a school project, I assume. Kid goes,

"oh look, guns, I can use these books"

Mom,

"no how about something else"

Kid,

"but guns are weapons too..."

Mom,

"yeah but let's not use guns"

Grrrr. It's annoying they always have the gun books on the bottom shelf.

Quartus
March 23, 2003, 06:41 PM
If we continue to act as if like we are hiding something, we will continue to be treated with suspicion.

Bingo.

we want to stay low profile, and lead what Farnham calls a “stealth existence”

I respect Mr. Farnam, but I disagree with him strongly on this point. As was pointed out, it ain't helping us.

jmbg29
March 23, 2003, 06:47 PM
For those of ya'll who live in places where gun ownership isn't looked askance at, bear with the rest of us, OK? We're dealing with some real stuff here.That's odd... I've lived in some of those places, and I didn't bother "dealing with some real stuff". I just spoke the truth.Closeting ourselves has inadvertently contributes to the social stigmata and the political marginalization of gun ownership.There is nothing inadvertant about it. A clever 10 year old would have forseen those consequences.I believe you should have answered the kid honestly with a pleasant smile. If we continue to act as if like we are hiding something, we will continue to be treated with suspicion.Bingo!

Quartus
March 23, 2003, 10:55 PM
Grrrr. It's annoying they always have the gun books on the bottom shelf.

No, no, no. That's GOOD. That way the little kids can see them and get hooked! :D

I'm serious, BTW. Think about it.

illuminatus99
March 23, 2003, 11:31 PM
I had a somewhat similar experience, my wife took the car to work so I rode the bus up the range/shop to pick up a new rifle case, I wanted to bring some of the toys to MN to shoot with my in-laws so I needed a good locking case. when I got back on the bus a couple of teenage girls sat in front of me and kept eyeing the case as if they couldn't figure out what might be in it. one of them finally turned around and asked "is that a guitar case?", I answered "no, it's a rifle case", she promptly turned back around and faced foreward, after a few minutes she turned around and whispered to me "......is there a rifle in there?" I told her there wasn't, it was the truth, I had just bought it and it was indeed empty. she seemed a lot more relaxed after that.

illuminatus99
March 23, 2003, 11:32 PM
No, no, no. That's GOOD. That way the little kids can see them and get hooked!

lol, that's pretty much how I got hooked :D

zahc
March 24, 2003, 01:51 PM
I must say I would have answered immediatly 'my rifle'. That's my favorite thing, letting people see a gun owner whenever possible. Also, people get aqainted with me, and fix a judgement, which then clashes when they find out that I am a shooter. They are disconcerted that this nice young man is actually an 'evil' gun owner, which may cause them to rethink their conceptions about gun owners. Spread the word. I will not be closeted. I am an American!

Mike Irwin
March 24, 2003, 03:01 PM
What's in the case, Mr.?

It's a punk stick.

What's a punk stick?

It's the stick I use to bash little punks who ask too many questions? You have any more questions?

Frohickey
March 24, 2003, 03:19 PM
You could have said it that was your BOOM-stick. :D

jsalcedo
March 24, 2003, 06:57 PM
I don't see it anymore but the gun mags used to be on the top shelf of the walden book store.

It didn't keep me from them though.

By the time I was 13 my family called me an obsessed gun nut
and I didn't even own a gun.

I recently bought a 28 in barreled remington 870 from a pawnshop in a bad part of town.

I carried this monster out to the parking lot where a little
kid rode up on his bike from the busy highway.

"mister, do you shoot elephants with that?"

I told him it was for birds then the kid says "nice gun mister"

It always made me feel weird carrying long guns in public
even though its perfectly legal.

I'm not about to lie to a kid about participating in a legal activity.
It may influence their future thinking about guns being a normal
part of life instead of a boogeyman.

If you enjoyed reading about "had a wierd expierance today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!