Stevens .30-30 bolt action.....

PDA

W Turner
July 25, 2005, 06:42 PM
I found one of these at a local pawn shop for $150 and was intrigued to say the least. I was surprised by how light and handy it seemed to be and the 5 (?) round magazine seemed to be sufficient considering this is the same capacity as a lever gun.
For the price, would this be a good deal? The bore is shiny and the rifling looks to be in very good shape. The bluing is worn but not abused/scratched etc.. The stock looks to be a generic hardwood, nothing special. There didn't seem to be any provision for a scope to be mounted and the iron sights were miniscule. They actually reminded me of the sights on a Savage .22 I have. My first thought was "Scout Rifle Project" when I saw this gun, but I don't know how easy it would be to get a forward mounted scope attached.

One advantage I see is the ability to handload spire point .30 caliber bullets since I don't have to worry about a tube magazine.

Does this sound like a good price?

Are there any issues with Stevens rifles?

Anyone know of a good source for 1 or 2 back up magazines?

Thanks,
W

If you enjoyed reading about "Stevens .30-30 bolt action....." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ak47nevada
July 25, 2005, 07:04 PM
I don't see a .30-30 bolt-action model on Savage Arms website:

http://www.savagearms.com/st_200short.htm
http://www.savagearms.com/st_200long.htm

I thought .30-30s were only lever action, but a bolt action would sure be cool

Eightball
July 25, 2005, 08:00 PM
Mayhaps it is a crazy-old firearm? I have an old .410 SxS from American Western Arms that is no longer made, but is a beaut to shoot. Try your luck, you may find a gem :) . At least, thats MHO.

Shooter973
July 25, 2005, 08:04 PM
I have two (2) Rem 788's in 30-30 that I truly love. They are the perfect cast bullets rifles. :D

cracked butt
July 25, 2005, 08:12 PM
I inquired about a similar rifle today also. Do a search on savage model 340, it should be very similar to the stevens rifle. They are neat rifles.

Sam
July 26, 2005, 12:26 AM
The Savage 340 and the Stevens are the same weapon, just rebadged.
The box mag only holds 3 rounds. They are sufficiently accurate to hunt with and pretty reliable. You CAN NOT load them any hotter than your 94 or 336. They will handle pointed bullets but at the velocities available you may not get real good expansion.

I have had 3 of them. great truck guns.

Sam

W Turner
July 26, 2005, 02:45 PM
I wouldn't try ot load it any hotter than a Marlin 336. It just kinda caught my eye, especially for the price. If it is there the next time I go, I may pick it up. If not, {{SHRUG}} no big deal.

Thanks everybody,

W

Okiecruffler
July 26, 2005, 02:57 PM
The Stevens is a mod 325, they also made a 322 that was a 22 hornet. I know a shop with 2 of them that I've been fighting the temptation to buy and have rechambered to 30-30AI.

Ash
July 26, 2005, 05:54 PM
They're a good rifle and certainly worth $150.

Ash

W Turner
July 27, 2005, 12:11 PM
Okie- Funny you should mention the .30-30AI idea. I thought the exact same thing when I picked it up. Hmmmmm, lightweight, box magazines that seem to be available if I look hard enough, I'm sure I could get someone to forward mount a scope on it for me........sounds like I may have a Scout project in the works.

Maybe I need to be a litle more proactive about getting this one. I'm going that way today, may have to stop by...... :scrutiny:

W

Jim Watson
July 27, 2005, 12:39 PM
The Savage/Stevens .30-30 bolt action is a single locking lug design, somewhere between a Krag and a big .22 lr. Ken Waters lumped it in with new lever actions for load recommendations, stronger than an old lever action, but not equal to his Winchester 54 or, probably, a 788.

The split reciever bridge makes it seem a natural for a Scout scope, but bear in mind that it would be a total custom installation.

I don't know the Savage's magazine length, but my 788 requires that spitzer bullets be seated pretty deep if it is to be shot as a repeater. There was an article a while back in which the author actually shot roundnose and spitzer bullets at the same velocity. He found that there was not nearly as much difference in trajectory and retained velocity as is commonly thought and you would not be much penalized at ranges up to 200 yards. Which is pretty far for a .30-30 anyhow.

Onmilo
July 28, 2005, 10:14 AM
My uncle killed one heck of a lot of deer up in Wisconsin with a Savage 340 bolt .30/30.
He had a Weaver side mount and a Weaver 4X scope mounted on the rifle.
It wasn't pretty but nobody was laughing when he came dragging a deer out of the woods either.
It worked and it shot well, what else does one need in a hunting rifle?

Essex County
July 28, 2005, 02:19 PM
That I bought, sold,repurchased and solh again. The stock had been thinned, refinished and a wonderful job of parkerising had been done. It shot very well, but was unscopeable. The reciever wasn't the problem, but the bolt handle was. If it hadn't been for that I'd probably still have it today.....Essex

Geno
July 28, 2005, 10:47 PM
My Great-Grandfather bought one for my Grandfather as a gift many years back. He harvested many whitetails with it here in Michigan. I too used it to hunt as did a few cousins. All in all, that little rifle more than paid for itself. My brother has since inherited it. I personally would like to have one just for the memory sake.

Great rifle, and in fact, that little rifle is credited locally as probably having saved my life (literally) when two BGs tried to break in to my parents' home when I was 16 and home alone. When the BGs noted the little .30-30 bolt action at my side, :eek: they decided they really DID need to leave...NOW! Somehow that rifle helped them to be able to start their "inoperative engine". I guess when a firearm saves your life, one becomes attached to it.

Doc2005

MICHAEL T
July 29, 2005, 01:19 PM
A friend of mine tales a deer every year with his bolt 30/30. Pawn Shop I go to has a 30/30 pump I belive its a savage.

longrifleman
July 29, 2005, 03:48 PM
I let one go at an auction last year for about that price. I've kicked myself ever since. I don't see many of them around here. I did get a Mossberg 46-b-b for $50 so the sale wasn't a complete loss. :)

Jim K
July 29, 2005, 07:46 PM
Those rifles are not "unscopeable". As Onmilo says, they use a side mount base and side mount rings. Brownells has both.

The actions are not exactly slick, but the guns are serviceable and a lot were sold. For rough country, they will take a beating.

Jim

Nathanael_Greene
July 29, 2005, 09:41 PM
Here are some photos of a scoped Savage 30-30...

I found this in a pawn shop a couple of years ago.

I'm left-handed and thought I'd be able to learn to shoot right-handed. That didn't work out, but this little rifle is so darned cute I can't part with it.

(The rifle is actually a "Western Field", sold by Montgomery Ward's. Scope is a Tasco Pronghorn 4x32. I think I paid about $150 or so.)

If you enjoyed reading about "Stevens .30-30 bolt action....." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!