Effective Ranges

PDA

SmershAgent
July 26, 2005, 12:06 PM
What's the approximate effective range of an M1 and an MG42?

Thanks for responding.

If you enjoyed reading about "Effective Ranges" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Vern Humphrey
July 26, 2005, 12:42 PM
The US Army position was that the effective range of a rifle was 500 yards and that of a medium machinegun was 1100. The machinegun is considered an area weapon, and the density of shots falling in the beaten zone at that range is sufficient to give a 50% chance of a hit.

Moonclip
July 26, 2005, 04:11 PM
I always felt the effective range of a firearm was as far as someone could hit something with it! While the Army might think 500 yards is the effective range for a rifle, I bet your average soldier is hard pressed to hit a target at that range and I bet there is a few people who can hit at 600 with ease.

I think in the USN the pistol "effective range" was considered 50 meters but I think most of you would not volunteer for someone to shoot at you with a M9 or a 1911A1 at 100 meters.

Vern Humphrey
July 26, 2005, 04:17 PM
I always felt the effective range of a firearm was as far as someone could hit something with it! While the Army might think 500 yards is the effective range for a rifle, I bet your average soldier is hard pressed to hit a target at that range and I bet there is a few people who can hit at 600 with ease.

You're close to the Army's definition of "maximum effective range" -- which is considered the greatest range at which the average soldier can get 50% hits.

When the M1 was adopted (and for years afterward) the rifle qualification course was shot at ranges out to 600 yards -- and you had to get more than 50% hits at that range to qualify.

30Cal
July 26, 2005, 04:36 PM
If the effective range is 500yds, then you've probably got a couple of guys that can make hits out to 700yds.

Hardtarget
July 27, 2005, 12:30 AM
To me the effective range of the weapon, and the effective range of the shooter are not the same. If the bullet is going fast enough to penetrate enough to wound or kill, even if it's an accidental hit, it was still effective...no matter the range. If I cannot make consistant hits past 200 yards, then that is MY effective range. By the way...I probably can't hit out there at 500 yards. I've never shot that distance. I've never even seen a rifle range with that kind of yardage offered! I think Moonclip and I are kind of close in basic thought.
Mark.

C-grunt
July 27, 2005, 01:00 AM
At Ft. Benning we have a 500 meter range that Ive shot at in basic and since with an M16.

With a good rifle, good sights, and a rest, 500 meter shots are not too hard. They are not easy though.

If you enjoyed reading about "Effective Ranges" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!