One handgun and one long gun for self defense and reliabilty.

PDA

albanian
July 26, 2005, 10:42 PM
OK, here is the situation, you have to grab ONE handgun and one long arm (shotgun or rifle) and defend your self in an urban setting. You are not going to war, only defending yourself so no need for sniper rifles since you don't want to pick fights. Most of the shooting will probably be done at very close range and lets say only a few bad guys at a time. You don't have to be Rambo but if the gun fails, you will probably be killed. You should be familiar enough with the gun that you can handle it in the dark and under stress. You also need to be 100% confident in it's reliabilty and function.

Here is the situation I envision, short term chaos like a riot or a natural disaster that causes people to act like animals for a while. They may be after your skin or your stuff but you have to fend them off. You may not be at home so the guns should be packable and fast into action when needed.

As for a handgun, I will still take my Beretta 92fs over anything but once my SA XD-9 proves itself, it may be a lighter choice.

For a long gun, I have to go with a pump action shotgun. A 12ga pump is reliable and fast pointing and one shot does the trick. Probably my Rem 870 12 but I would like an extended mag as well. It just holds 5 at the moment but with the extension, I think it will hold 7. That is plenty since it reloads without having to drop a mag or anything. You can shoot once or twice and top off, repeat as needed. It is fast once you get used to it. In fact, if you have ammo at the ready, it is almost like a never ending belt fed. :D

I have several AR-15s but the chance of a jam is too great. My SKSs have all been reliable but they are long and heavy and slow to reload. Revolvers are the reliabilty kings but they take way too long to reload unless you are very good with them, which I am not.

If you enjoyed reading about "One handgun and one long gun for self defense and reliabilty." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
stevelyn
July 26, 2005, 10:54 PM
Urban setting, close range, likely target rich environment.
Longarm would be a Benelli Super 90, handgun would be a Glock 17.
The reason for the Glock is obvious-mag capacity and reliability.

Choosing the Benelli is based on the ease of doing the "Select Slug" drill. IOW pulling back the bolt to eject the chambered round without the trigger being pulled eliminates having to dump out an extra round that has been released from the magazine and positioned on the lifter.

Darkside852003
July 26, 2005, 10:56 PM
Dan Wesson PM1-S, and my Remington 870 HD.

HighVelocity
July 26, 2005, 10:58 PM
870 Police and 5" Kimber 1911.

C-grunt
July 26, 2005, 11:16 PM
Glock 22 for the pistol. Powerfull and very reliable.

AK47 for the rifle. Good for close range and out to a couple hundred meters. Plenty of power and good for multiple targets in one area. :evil:

22-rimfire
July 26, 2005, 11:55 PM
In a high stress target rich environment, I would go with a Glock Model 22 or 23 with as much magazine capacity as you can get. Long gun would be a Remington 870 police shotgun with Aguila minishells-Buck size shot vs solids.

R.H. Lee
July 27, 2005, 12:01 AM
Most of the shooting will probably be done at very close range and lets say only a few bad guys at a time. You don't have to be Rambo but if the gun fails, you will probably be killed. Yeah, definitely a short barrel riot shotgun, probably an 870 or Winchester Defender only because I'm familiar with and trust both. Loaded with #1 or 00 buckshot. Handgun - Colt or Springfield milspec + lots of loaded mags.

R.H. Lee
July 27, 2005, 12:04 AM
Most of the shooting will probably be done at very close range and lets say only a few bad guys at a time. You don't have to be Rambo but if the gun fails, you will probably be killed. Yeah, definitely a short barrel riot shotgun, probably an 870 or Winchester Defender with a sling only because I'm familiar with and trust both. Loaded with #1 or 00 buckshot. Handgun - Colt or Springfield 1911 .45 milspec + lots of loaded mags.

nico
July 27, 2005, 12:07 AM
I'd have to say CZ-75 (with a few 25 round mags) and a short barreled shotgun. Probably a Benelli or SX2 practical as I don't have any experience with pump actions and, being pretty short, I'm not sure how comfortable using the pump would be.

Dionysusigma
July 27, 2005, 12:16 AM
If we are to use only what we have, I'll take my SAR-1 and my Vektor SP-2.

If we are to have a budget of $50,000 and a fully-stocked store to choose from (with very short lines to the cash register and a BATFE office next door :D), I'll take a Vector Arms V-53 SBR (basically an MP5 chambered in .223/5.56 with a flash suppressor added) and a Glock 20.

SnakeEater
July 27, 2005, 12:18 AM
Handgun: Glock, any fullsize model will do.

Rifle: M14 scout type rifle w/ aimpoint

Cesiumsponge
July 27, 2005, 12:28 AM
Springfield GI .45...Operator if I wanted to get fancy with a light.

If I'm to use ammo that I have, the my longarm choice is my Saiga-12 shotgun. AK reliability, 12ga power, never skipped a beat. If its pick and go with ammo, I can't rely on the Saiga since low recoil shells won't cycle it should I come across any. If that is the case, Mossberg 590 with the works, with an attached M9 bayonet as a safeguard during reloading in an unavoidable hostile area.

I could choose my Bushy carbine. I've never had any jams or feed problems out of it so far but I hear about 50/50 on it being a jammomatic/workhorse.

For fantasy weapons, "Say hello to the Chinese M1L1 triple-pulse assault rifle. Rotating barrel, thousand round capacity, auto-cooling, water-tight."
5 barrel rotating assembly, built-in tactical illuminator and red dot optic, 1000 round top-loading helical magazine bullpup chaingun :D

Obscure crappy movie. Looks like they built it off a Calico with other addons. Dunno if the rear is fabricated or came off another gun.

jefnvk
July 27, 2005, 01:04 AM
I'm gonna go with what I have. Probably either the 870 or the SKS, and the 1911.

My reasoning is if I have time to go out and buy special guns, knowing there is gonna be problems, that time and money would be better spent leaving the area.

Legionnaire
July 27, 2005, 09:54 AM
Glock 23 with several spare mags.

Bushy carbine with Aimpoint. While I like the shotgun idea and considered the 18.5" barreled Mossberg 500, grabbing the AR and four magazines gives me 120 rounds immediately to hand. I'd need a small backpack to carry that much shotgun ammo!

Father Knows Best
July 27, 2005, 10:08 AM
How many attackers am I likely to face at a time? Do I need to be able to move, or am I staying put in a location I can fortify?

I'd lean toward a rifle over a shotgun. A rifle gives you a lot more effective range, higher mag capacity, quicker reloading and lighter ammo (meaning you can carry more of it). In addition, at very close ranges the shotgun's spread (even from a short cylinder choke) is not enough to significantly raise the hit probability.

For a long arm, I'd take my Arsenal SA M-7S (semi-auto AK clone in 7.63x39) with Kobra red dot sight on it. It's compact, lightweight and as reliable as they come. All it needs right now is a folding stock to be an almost perfect urban defense weapon. I can carry four spare mags, giving me a total of 150 rounds and the ability to handle threats out to 100 meters with ease.

For a sidearm, I'd probably take the Glock 22 (full size .40) if I didn't have to worry about ammo resupply. If I'm going to need to find ammo in the field, I might opt for a 9mm or whatever it is I think will be readily available.

Rob62
July 27, 2005, 10:14 AM
While the shotgun is without a doubt an awesome weapon. I believe that (arguably) a carbine or rifle is more suitable for a general purpose long gun given this senario.

So my choices are a Glock G17 9mm pistol, and Bushmaster AR15 clone rifle/carbine in .223/5.56.

Rob

WT
July 27, 2005, 10:22 AM
Full size 1911 Colt and a Winchester 94 in .30-30.

thereisnospoon
July 27, 2005, 10:30 AM
Based on your scenario I think my pistol would be my Glock 23, mainly because it is ultra-reliable and very powerful, plus moderate round count (13+1).

Although I really like my 870, my "carbine" would be my Volunteer Arms Commando Mark III in .45 caliber (A "tommy gun" clone). It is very reliable, accurate and with 3 spare sticks I have 120 rounds of 45 to contend with my attackers...and in Urban combat, ranges will probably be less than 50 feet(?).

If the scenario were any different it woulb be the MBR .308 M1A and the Glock...

JamisJockey
July 27, 2005, 10:44 AM
Winchester 1300 12ga (since its what I've got), slugs for that 'you, die now!' effect, and a glock in 9mm or .45

NineseveN
July 27, 2005, 10:53 AM
If this is based on what we already, really have:

Handgun
HK USP .45 Compact - The firearm I shoot the best, and I should only be using it in a dire emergency or having it out while reloading mags in between skirmishes.

Rifle
DSA SA58 Carbine with a red dot mounted - nice and short, plenty of power, intermediate barriers are not a problem and it can reach out and touch someone if need be.

If I could have anything for the job:

Handgun
HK USP .45 Compact - same reasons as above

Rifle
HK G36k - mounted red dot, light ammo and it has "da switch". :D - Though I don't know really, I'd still find it hard to turn down the DSA even if I had a full-auto G36k. I think I put it in there not because I'd want it for this situation, but rather, just because I want it. So yeah, I'd ask for one of these, but probably take my DSA anyway. :)

W Turner
July 27, 2005, 10:54 AM
Glock 20 10mm with beaucoup 15 rd. mags

Springfield Scout Squad with iron sights

Ridge
July 27, 2005, 11:05 AM
Model 10 Smith and my Hi-point 9mil carbine,I use them hunting and in home defense,I am just as good with one as I am with the other,plus I have 200-300 rounds on hand for each most of the time.

Brian Williams
July 27, 2005, 11:48 AM
Marlin 1894C in 357 and a S&W 13 3" loaded with 165gr LRNFPGC pushed to about 1100 to 1200 in the revolver, should go around 1600 to 1700 out of the rifle. I would remove or fold down the tang sight from my 1894 and put on a Williams 5D and a Merit adjustable peep disc to fit. Give me a good OWB holster for the 13 and a good sling for the 1894C and a possibles bag split in half with one side full of loose rounds for the Marlin and the other full of moonclips for the 13.

entropy
July 27, 2005, 12:24 PM
If it's from my current collection, I'd skip the Star BM (currently my only centerfire pistol) and take my 870 and my Yugo SKS. I'd carry the 870 at low ready with the SKS across the back; the 870 should do the job for antipersonnel duty up close, and be a 'break contact weapon' against farther targets, buying me time to get to cover and switch weapons. Both of these weapons function flawlessly, and would cover 99% of urban defensive operations.

If this is a fantasy thread, my 'pistol' would be an MP5SD, and my rifle a Bushy Carbon-15 with a can on it. :evil:

Biker
July 27, 2005, 12:45 PM
My Glock 23 and my pre-ban Bushmaster carbine along with my 13 30 rd mags. Damn, wish I had a bayonet....
Biker

Boats
July 27, 2005, 12:51 PM
Ruger KGP-141 and a Marlin 1894C both in .357 Magnum. Mepros on the Ruger and Express sights and/or maybe a red dot mount on the carbine.

No Ramboing there. Just accurate, hard hitting, fairly concealable stuff that doesn't require magazines and between them have enough ammo for a brief encounter, especially since they can both be reloaded from the box.

Buffalo Bore makes a 158gr Gold Dot JHP popping off at 1475 fps MV and 763 foot pounds ME out of a four inch revolver and manages 2153 fps out of said Marlin. Good enough for social work inside of 150 yards.

And I don't care what one cares to call it, (personally I call it Sheep's Clothing), but there is something to be said in an urban SHTF for looking more like John Wayne than a Mall Ninja.

Burt Blade
July 27, 2005, 01:51 PM
How about:

Winchester 94 lever-action rifle in .44 magnum and a S&W Model 29 (.44 Magnum)

or

Winchester 94 in .45 Colt and a Ruger Vaquero (single action revolver) in .45 Colt

or that well-proven combo

M-1 "Garand" rifle in .30-06 and a Colt Government Model (1911) pistol in .45ACP

The Winchester is reliable and fairly inexpensive, and easily reaches out to 100-150 meters. Go to a .30-30 if you want more thump, or stick to pistol calibers matching your sidearm to simplify ammunition supply. The lever-action Winchester is not quite so "Teddy Tactical" as a AR-15, but will tend to be less alarming to passers by, neighbors, and cops. The 16" barrel "Trapper" model will fit in some extra long gym bags, allowing discrete carry of the long gun.

The Garand in .30-06 gives you much more long-range oomph, and a decent club if you wind up in spitting distance with the magazine empty. A bayonet is probably nothing but belt ballast for the "urban endurance" scenario, but fixed on the rifle it will tend to suggest to would-be attackers that you are far more porcupine than pushover.

You will have to interact with cops, neighbors, and other non-threats. If you start out looking like and extra from a "Doomsday Survivalist" flick, you may have some difficulty dealing with the non-hostiles.

Fastlane
July 27, 2005, 02:12 PM
For me it would be a Glock 34 with loaded 30 rd mags. and my 870P with the two rd ext.

Biker
July 27, 2005, 02:16 PM
The bayonet was a joke, Burt. Although I can't fault your choice of firearms, I can carry a lot more 5.56 than you can 30-30 and reload a lot faster. At least that's what they taught me at Fort Ord in Jan. 1973. BTW, I never much cared about other people's perceptions of me.
Biker

mcgvac
July 27, 2005, 03:22 PM
I dont understand the shotgun choice. I would Deff. go the route of a high capcity autoloading rifle. For example i would choose my AK-47. It is very small and maneuverable, has large capacity, and you could also deffend the perimeter at 100+ yards and turn hell in close quarters. Not to mention probbably the most reliable weapon I have ever shot, 8000+ rounds no jams. The shotgun just doesnt have the capacity or a high enough rate of fire.

As far as a pistol goes, my choice would be an 1911. I dont plan on ever having to use it if all goes well :)

Ala Dan
July 27, 2005, 04:40 PM
Remington 12 gague 870 Marine Magnum for durability

.45 caliber SIG-SAUER P220A for RELIABILITY! :D

english kanigit
July 27, 2005, 05:13 PM
Lemme see, for the rifle.... I'll take an AN-94 (http://www.military.com/soldiertech/0,14632,Soldiertech_AN94,,00.html) in 5.56.

For the pistol.... ahhh, what pistol? ;)
Gimme a UMP.45 with a can. :D

Farnham
July 27, 2005, 09:29 PM
Springfield Armory M1A and a Sistema Colt .45. And face paint. Nothing says, "Don't f--- with me" like camouflage face paint. :D

S/F

Farnham

PS: If it's zombies, Ruger 10/22 with 30 round mags and a Glock 17...in a wheelbarrow. I hate zombies.

albanian
July 27, 2005, 09:57 PM
"How many attackers am I likely to face at a time? Do I need to be able to move, or am I staying put in a location I can fortify?"

That is just it, who can say? You may have to move from your house or you might not. You probably will in a disaster or a riot. As for the number of attackers, same thing goes, you could be facing one guy or maybe an entire crowd.

My idea is not to take on a crowd if I can help it and just use the guns to get to cover and fortify my position until I have to move again. Maybe they start burning your place and you need to make a quick, violent exit through a group of nut cases to get to the next safe place. Maybe you will have to shoot the guns from a car or from a house window. That is sort of the point, what guns give you the most flexibility given the circumstances. Also, reliabilty, you DON'T want your guns to jam when you are exposed or someone is breaking the door down! First and formost should be reliabilty. Picking a gun you have never fired or seen in person doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

I may change my vote from the 18" bbl Rem 870 HD that I have to a Ruger Mini-14 or maybe an AK-47. Both seem to be reliable enough to trust and both are small and compact. 30rds would be better than 5 if you needed to lay down some fire to clear a path. I would probably go with a SS Mini-14 with a Hogue stock. I like the way the standard stock feels and handles. AKs and ARs don't point as quick for me as a shotgun or a regular rifle.

RCL
July 27, 2005, 10:02 PM
My 12ga 870, my .45 Kimber, and my Buck General. :scrutiny:

epijunkie67
July 27, 2005, 10:23 PM
FN 57 pistol with 20 round magazine and P90 rifle in matching caliber with 50 round magazine. You want ammo capacity? Thats 70 rounds without even changing a magazine. Zero recoil on either and effective range of about 300 meters on the rifle. And since the rifle is a bullpup design you could hide it under a coat or in a gym bag with ease. I can fit 200 rounds loose pack in my freaking shirt pocket so I could carry a thousand rounds with ease.

If I need more ammo than that I'm in WAY over my head.

GRB
July 27, 2005, 10:48 PM
OK, here is the situation, you have to grab ONE handgun and one long arm (shotgun or rifle) and defend your self in an urban setting. You are not going to war, only defending yourself so no need for sniper rifles since you don't want to pick fights.Sorry but if I am going to grab weapons for self defense, then I will choose my weapons as I see fit. A sniper rifle could well be the choice. I wonder though why you think a sniper rifle is a poor self defense choice and, I wonder also why you think use of a sniper rifle seemingly only constitutes picking fights.

A sniper rifle, or any rifle with a scope and capable ammunition is a good defensive weapon in that it primarily is used to fire upon an enemy from afar. Distance is your friend in such a situation so there is a good chance that if I had a good securable location from which to protect myself, I would hole up with a 'sniper' rifle and a handgun. My choice would probably be a bolt action rifle in .308, or something along the lines of a Springfield M1A. Either would be scoped or be capable of such. I think if riots and crazed crowds were a problem I would choose the Spingfield. As for a pistols, I have my Beretta 92FS, my Beretta 92SB, a Glock 19 and some others. I would choose the Beretta 92FS over all of them, although I might actually prefer something in .45 Auto the 9mm would do in a pinch. A shotgun may be good for getting into crowd control situations if you know what you are doing with it, but so too would be the M1A. If I decided it was a shotgun that would suit me better - depending on the situation - I would opt for my Remington 870. I do not need a magazine extension, as a matter of fact they can lead to too many jamming type problems. I would just take a pocket or two full of shells in addition to the fully loaded gun and my pistol with extra mags.

onrhander
July 27, 2005, 10:57 PM
From the guns I have SAM 1911 hi-cap 13+1 with extar mags,sks sporter(aka paratroper). Short barrel,thumbhole stock,takes AK mags(I gota get some 50 rounders thou).Works for me. :evil:

R.H. Lee
July 27, 2005, 11:13 PM
Sorry but if I am going to grab weapons for self defense, then I will choose my weapons as I see fit. A sniper rifle could well be the choice Well, the premise was that you would be shooting in self defense in close quarters. Now, you're at a distance, sniping. Wouldn't that be called murder?

rangerbill
July 27, 2005, 11:35 PM
my choice (from my own collection) would be my mossberg 500 with eight round magazine, and my S&W 5906 with a twenty round magazine + the 15 rounders.

i would chose the shotgun over the rifle to be able to engage multiple targets with the same shot. say in a riot situation and you have a knot of people coming at you, a shot bounced 5-8 feet in front of them will spread enough to maybe hit two or three at one shot. (was trained on that and seemed to work at the range.)

AK-74me
July 27, 2005, 11:48 PM
Handgun: .45 Colt, long slide, laser sighting

Long gun: Phased-plasma rifle in the 40 watt range

good choices, I know someone else that likes those too.

bubbygator
July 28, 2005, 12:14 AM
I'll have to go with what Brian Williams and Burt Blade said. My lever-action and my S&W-66 with lasergrips (both in .357/.38) would be reliable and accurate... and have interchangeable ammo that should be easy to scavenge if the duration is extended. The key is "defend yourself" - I interpret this to mean that I'm not going to have to go out and attack or expose myself to accomplish some goal. I'll be able to move at my own discretion, but defensively.

c_yeager
July 28, 2005, 04:04 AM
Sorry but if I am going to grab weapons for self defense, then I will choose my weapons as I see fit. A sniper rifle could well be the choice. I wonder though why you think a sniper rifle is a poor self defense choice and, I wonder also why you think use of a sniper rifle seemingly only constitutes picking fights.

How do you know that the people you are shooting at need to be shot then? We arent talking about a place were people are wearing uniforms here. You see three guys walking down the road with rifles, do you just shoot them? If you do, then you certainly did pick that fight.

Greek
July 28, 2005, 10:40 AM
Sig 226 9mm and AR-15 Bushmaster A2 in .223.
I am good with them and ammunition will be readily available.

albanian
July 28, 2005, 07:09 PM
"Sorry but if I am going to grab weapons for self defense, then I will choose my weapons as I see fit. A sniper rifle could well be the choice. I wonder though why you think a sniper rifle is a poor self defense choice and, I wonder also why you think use of a sniper rifle seemingly only constitutes picking fights."

Part of the problem with this is, you may be able to hole up due to situations beyond your control. You may not want to stay where you are either. I can see many times where it would be better to be mobile. When you are mobile, you need to move fast and get ina nd get out. A sniper rifle would not be as useful as a higher capacity faster into action gun like a Mini-14 or a shotgun. A sniper rifle would be almost totaly useless if you had to clear a house or building to make sure nobody was inside so that you could hole up there for a while.

The only time I see a sniper rifle being of use in a situation like we are talking about is if you are on top of a building and want to make your point by placing some rounds in the forheads of the bad guys. I am not saying it is a bad choice but I don't think it has as much flexibility as a shotgun or a carbine.

Think of it in terms of the action you will probably have to do with your guns.
Long guns:
1. Clear buildings.
2. Fend off attackers at close range.
3. Shoot through objects like windows and car doors.
4. Lay down cover fire so you can move.
5. Shoot from a car.

Handgun:
1. Clear buildings.
2. Carry concealed so as not to attract too much attention.
3. Shoot from a car.

There are a lot of other things that can be done but a sniper rifle only does one or two things well.

RicVa
July 28, 2005, 07:15 PM
SAR-1 and Beretta 92FS. Both have never failed me. Both have a high capacity and pretty readily available ammo.

CZ-100
July 28, 2005, 07:45 PM
SAR-1 and Beretta 92FS. Both have never failed me. Both have a high capacity and pretty readily available ammo.

Same Reason... but with my SAR-1 and CZ-85 Combat.

Mannlicher
July 28, 2005, 07:48 PM
The only problem is, that no 'battle plan' survives the first contact. Setting the scene, and then picking the weapons that would fit that scene best may be a fun exercise, but its not practical.
I would rather examine what would function best in any possible scenerio.

Simple choice for me in that case. AR Shorty, .45 1911

115grfmj
July 28, 2005, 07:53 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=24784

FunGunner
July 28, 2005, 08:49 PM
20ga 1100 youth, and 9mm CZ75B

ksnecktieman
July 28, 2005, 08:53 PM
First is my beretta 92fs,,, do I have time to load all 12 mags? I have enough ammo, if I have time. Second choice will be my SKS that uses AK mags, do I have time to load all six 30 rd mags? I have the ammo to do it, if I have time. It would be a very close call between the SKS, and the 1100 12 guage. I can not comprehend a defensive use in excess of fifty yards, in town,,, maybe if I was out in the country the SKS would have a bigger margin of preference.

JohnKSa
July 29, 2005, 12:10 AM
Are we talking urban warfare or urban home defense?

For warfare, I'd pick a semi AK with improved sights and a Glock 17--for home defense a 4" GP-100 and an 870 with an extended magazine.

pauli
July 29, 2005, 12:19 AM
add me to the 2x357 brigade. i see unified ammo being a BIG plus for the conditions listed, and 357 is plenty suitable from both a revolver and a levergun.

Rexrider
July 29, 2005, 02:20 AM
First choice is my Bushy M4 style rifle (has not missed a beat in over 3k rds) with my Glock 21.

Or....

If I would need to be concerned about spooking the sheep and need something a little more low profile, then it would be my Marlin .357 1894c and Ruger GP100.

cracked butt
August 3, 2005, 03:12 AM
Beretta 92
870 wingmaster

rgs1975
August 3, 2005, 11:25 AM
M4 Carbine with HWS and 30rd mags. Sig P229 .40 with tactical light and Hogue rubber grips.

LiquidTension
August 3, 2005, 12:03 PM
I'd trust my life to the gun I've been trusting my life to for several years now - 4" 1911. As for the rifle, I'd have to take my AK. Folding stock, high capacity, accurate enough for close distances, never jams.

jrpeterman
August 3, 2005, 12:17 PM
Out of all the guns that I own, in an urban situation I'd run with a compact, fast handling, and high capacity combination. The two that fit that criteria the best for me are:
Handgun=Glock 19
Rifle=AR-15 carbine, 16 in. barrel

DelayedReaction
August 3, 2005, 12:26 PM
Well, I could do well with what I have now. 1911 and a Saiga-12 w/ a 5 round mag.

What I want is more ammo capacity. So eventually I'll get a doublestack 1911, and make some drum mages for the Saiga. :D

woerm
August 3, 2005, 12:27 PM
M-1 carbine

M-1911a1

second choice

stengun and M54/60 tokarev 9mm

probably go w/ M1 as the sights are better for long (100m+) range.

Tylden
August 3, 2005, 07:37 PM
My trusty Mossberg 590A1 with 00 buck, and my CZ 75 P-01....and of course all the ammo I could carry

Big Mike
August 3, 2005, 11:11 PM
Ruger GP100 and Remington 870

Dionysusigma
August 3, 2005, 11:53 PM
I'm impressed with how many people are going with an AK (myself included). The pistol, too, always seems to be in the 9mm area (including .357/.38). Interesting... :scrutiny:

chopinbloc
August 4, 2005, 12:22 AM
uh, sorry to break the mood, but i'm going with my 16" bushmaster with reflex II sight and my kimber bp ten II.

I have several AR-15s but the chance of a jam is too great.

hmm... you don't take care of them well? i have NEVER experienced a malfunction with an ar-15 or m-16 with live ammo. if you take care of the weapon and choosed good mags, you won't have a problem. even an ak will fail if you abuse it enough - they're just more forgiving of abuse. as for the guy who said he's got the mags and the ammo but doesn't keep 'em loaded - why not? if you're concerned about spring set, i have sixteen loaded 30rd ar mags and five loaded ak mags at home. they stay loaded all the time until, when i go to the range, i randomly pick a couple. never had a problem. the current concensus is that modern springs aren't likely to take a set but they can wear out with use (many cycles of compression and expansion).

pete f
August 4, 2005, 12:45 AM
a M40 clone with a MP5SD

reach out and touch with close in punch. or a mini usi in 45 with a can. either works for me.

d46houston
August 4, 2005, 01:09 AM
Colt lightweight AR, Glock 29 with Optima 2000 sight.

(And a 20" 870 in the closet.)

Red Dragon
August 4, 2005, 01:15 AM
I'd probably go with my Ruger P-89 with as many 17 rd mags as I could comfortably carry, and if its all gonna be fairly short range, I would probably carry an M-4

michigan_rkba
August 4, 2005, 06:37 PM
AK and G19.

charlie fox
August 4, 2005, 06:51 PM
My G19 and KelTec S2K - both can use the G17 mags (of which I have several) and both can be hidden easily.

S. Kelly
August 4, 2005, 11:14 PM
G19 (or G17, both will do or a G26 for hideability) with plenty of spare mags and my Bushmaster M4 clone. I'd go for an AK in place of the M4.

C1an!de
August 20, 2007, 04:25 PM
if you do proper planning, it doesnt matter what you use

sansone
August 20, 2007, 04:30 PM
marlin 1894c + SW,Rugr,Colt.357revolver +(1)box of .357=good

hcddog
August 20, 2007, 04:32 PM
Pistol: is there anything more reliable than a Glock?

Rifle, probably an AR-15. More/smaller ammo than an AK clone. That and I shot M16's in the military and am quite familiar with them.

C1an!de
August 20, 2007, 04:33 PM
In south africa all the bulls**t of getting and keeping a Auto or even a semi, in a rifle caliber is too big, but i would use my beretta 90two, and an fn SCAR in 7.62*39 as it takes pickup ak mags, and is very reliable

jkingrph
August 20, 2007, 04:38 PM
For a handgun probably my Browning HP, accurized and reliable. For a long gun probably my Marlin 336 cowboy model 38-55 or the 1895 model in 45-70. Long barrels give more than adequate magazine capacity and both calibers are fine although the 45-70 would be better for shooting through obstacles(cover) and believe me a good 405gr hard cast bullet does not lack in penetration.

Cosmoline
August 20, 2007, 04:43 PM
The Puma M92 in .44 mag and a .44 mag handgun. Then just grab the bandoliers and an ammo can full of the stuff. Apart from the really big bear slugs, they'll both eat the same stuff. The ammo is easy to find and reload. The carbine is sighted in for 50 yards.

mpmarty
August 20, 2007, 05:17 PM
Handgun = full size 10mm Witness with all ten fifteen round mags full.
This would be my "out to 100 yards pick 'em off" gun.
Shotgun = Saiga 12 with all six high cap quick change magazines w/ 00 Buck
Rapid fire (think of bump firing an AK) and quick to reload.

wjustinen
August 21, 2007, 12:30 AM
I'd tell you, but then ... :what:

hamourkiller
August 21, 2007, 01:56 AM
6" N frame S&W in .357, .41 or .44 magnums

Marlin 1894 in what ever caliber the handgun is in.

coyote_jr
August 21, 2007, 01:59 AM
gotta love 2 year old thread resurrection

dodging230grainers
August 21, 2007, 02:05 AM
Beretta 92FS and Remington 870 pump.

Fill a few ammo cans with a few thousand 9mm rounds, a few thousand 12 gauge rounds , half buckshot/half slugs, and you're good to go.

An AK is a close second.

jungleroy
August 21, 2007, 02:14 AM
Glock model 22, and a Winchester 1300.
If I was just wishing on a star, I would like a Glock 18 with a backpack full of Magazines and a stubby Bushmaster AR 15.
Do you have reliable intel on something about to happen?

Geronimo45
August 21, 2007, 02:32 AM
For the old-school mall ninja:
1 SMLE, complete with hook-quillon bayonet (the one that's long enough to stab your enemies on the other side of the ocean) and copious rifle grenades - anti-personnel and anti-tank.

Webley Mark VI with bayonet (they made 'em), cut for moon clips. Ejecting shells can be used as an indirect fire weapon.

Then I have the ultimate fogey-tacticool gear. Well, probably need a PIAT in the mix. Can you mount a bayonet on a PIAT?

Alright.

For long gun... I'd really like an M1 Carbine with a folding stock, ultimak rail with eotech or red dot. A half-dozen spare mags, maybe a full dozen.

For handgun... I think I'd like a P99 AS in 9mm with another half-dozen mags.

Dionysusigma
August 21, 2007, 03:34 AM
I'll have to change my answer since this thread is two years old. :rolleyes:

Handgun: Smith 642
Long gun: Yugo AK in 7.62x39, with a slightly longer stock

Darkside852003
August 21, 2007, 06:49 AM
Need to change mine.

Colt 6920
Glock 19

Ala Dan
August 21, 2007, 07:14 AM
Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special .45 ACP with several Wilson seven round
magazines for the handgun; and my Remington 870 12 gague Marine Magnum
stoked with #4 buckshot for the long gun~! :scrutiny:;):D

Fisherman_48768
August 21, 2007, 07:55 AM
Handgun: 45 L Colt DA Mdl 25-5
Rifle: Marlin 1894 45 L Colt

I've got sufficient powder, lead and primers to keep these two going for a long time.

shepsan
August 21, 2007, 09:18 AM
For home defense, Remington 870 and Glock 21.

The 870 loaded with 00 will stop an attacker within the limits of the home and immediate yard areas. The 21 loaded with 13 or 14 230 gr .45ACP rounds will stop an attacker at the outside limits of the home environment.

Any further distance will no longer be considered as shooting for defense purposes.

foghornl
August 21, 2007, 09:31 AM
Based on what I have on-hand now, GI-45 for the handgun, Shotgun is Mossberg500/Maverick88. Much as I like my Vaquero & Blackhawk in .357Mag, a Single Action revolver is a bit too slow to reload for this use.

If it does come down to me needing to be the "Designated Marksman", then The US Rifle Cal .30 M1, or the Mossy ATR-100 in .30-06

Brian Williams
August 21, 2007, 09:37 AM
Mine changed to a S&W 65 with a 4" pencil barrel still in 357 to go along with my Marlin 1894 instead of my 3" S&W 13.

Houston Tom
August 21, 2007, 10:07 AM
SA XD-45

mossberg 590

SoonerSP101
August 21, 2007, 06:03 PM
Springfield Armory M1A Scout Squad

and a

arctictom
August 21, 2007, 08:05 PM
taurus tracker 357 , and marlin 1895 G 45-70

Redneck with a 40
August 21, 2007, 08:46 PM
Taurus Tracker 357 and Mossberg 500 12 gauge, slugs and buckshot.

JackCrow
August 21, 2007, 09:04 PM
Of the guns I own: Rem 1100 12ga & S&W M-19 w/ .357 Hydra-shock.

What I would like to own (and will someday soon) Rem 870 or Moss 590 12ga pump & CZ 75D PCR Compact

Dysfunctional Individual
August 21, 2007, 09:06 PM
G18 and Colt M4 carbine w/ M203 launcher (or G19 and LE6920 w/out M203 for the unfortunate)

def4pos8
August 21, 2007, 10:02 PM
Oh my! --another SHTF thread!! :eek:

I lived very near Biloxi MS and sat through Katrina, so I think my choices are "qualified". ;)

Handgun: Ruger 345 with Trijicon sights for close work.
Rifle: Springfield SOCOM 16 with EOTech primary sight for night.
Springfield M1A with bayonet for day work. (Mine is a National Match.)

A bayonet is a great "visual aid" when making social statements to looters. :fire:

Nameless_Hobo
August 21, 2007, 11:10 PM
What I own now; I'd have to take my Mosin. I'm almost out of x39, and I still have 400 rounds of x54R.
The only pistol I presently own is a blackpowder
.44, though, if I had time to go over and borrow one, I could get a 9mm from my father, or a .22 revolver because I have plenty of .22.
(My present loadout of guns is a Mosin, an unconverted Saiga, a blackpowder .44 and an old model 60. I mostly shoot my fathers and grandfather's guns, they've got larger collections than I.)

Yes, I'm low on ammunition and guns, but, I've got more important things to do than buy guns, like buy food and gas.

What I intend to own within the next year;
A yugo M70 underfolder with a couple 30 rounders and a Glock 19 with some 33 rounders.

Edit, Fantasy load, a M16A2 with an M203, some buckshot and some HE shells, with a Glock 18 as a side arm. Might as well go all the way with the sidearm...

Doug S
August 27, 2007, 01:12 PM
Based on what I own, for reliability, Glock and an AK.

Regolith
August 27, 2007, 01:21 PM
Remington 870 with 18" barrel

Ruger GP100 .357 with 4" barrel.

RobMoore
August 27, 2007, 01:24 PM
Glock 21 and an AK

REOIV
August 27, 2007, 02:39 PM
Saiga 12 with some 10 round mags and a couple of 20 round drums. Loaded with slugs and 00 buck.

And my .45 ACP XD

I'd be set for pretty much anything that came my way.

dasmi
August 27, 2007, 02:43 PM
Glock 17, Mossberg 500A.

romma
August 27, 2007, 02:49 PM
I would take my AR and Probably a GLock 17 for what you are describing..\

First ime I ever chose a Glock in one of these types of things!

md7
August 27, 2007, 04:09 PM
glock 23 and win. 1300 12 guage.

the gp100 .357 and marlin 1894 combo doesn't sound bad either.

El Tejon
August 27, 2007, 04:14 PM
My guns? LRB M14 or HK91 and a Les Baer TRS.

Any guns? M240G and lots and lots of ammo.

ArfinGreebly
August 27, 2007, 04:34 PM
I'm kind of likin' Brian's slant on things.

I have a companion set, the Marlin 1894C and his friend, the S&W 586-7.

Wide variety of loads.

Ammo sharing.

The 586 doesn't conceal well, but I don't think that's the issue here.

The 1894C is light for a rifle, and is suitable for everything from social engagements to varmints and game.

Reloads are really the only problem with the lever gun, but I'm working on that. I'll post the solution when it's done and tested.

22LongRifle
August 27, 2007, 04:53 PM
My longgun would be either my Mossy 590 or my Marlin 30/30. I choose either of these because I like the idea of being able to top them off or reload with out messing with magazines and strippers. Me think it would suck being empty while trying to reload. But then I'm getting pretty good with my no4 mk1 SMLE! But I would choose the SKS over it in close in combat when its just me. Give me a few months, and its my RRA A2!

My handgun would be my G37 in 45GAP. I might grab my daughter's G19, but I really like Gaston's bastard child. Second up would be either my G35 or XD40 Tact.

22lr

RancidSumo
August 27, 2007, 05:02 PM
Ithaca 37 and Taurus 24/7. The Ithaca because it is reliable and same for the 24/7, that and it is the only centerfire handgun I own.

Dirty Bob
August 27, 2007, 05:10 PM
The hardware in this question isn't nearly as important as the software. I would advocate choosing what you have the most experience with, even if it's an "inferior" choice, like a bolt-action military rifle. I think that it would be hard to argue against a pump shotgun for the long gun. They're generally reliable, have great stopping power out to more distance than most of us are likely to need, and they don't freak other people out like an "evil black rifle" can.

My Win. 1200 shotgun has been 100% reliable, and buckshot would be my main choice for close-range defense of hearth and home. If more range was needed, I would switch to slugs. It's going to be hard to explain to a jury why you shot at anything over 100 yards away, so I'd rather avoid/run away and defend myself only if absolutely necessary, which to me means a close threat.

I strongly believe that the long gun should have a two-point carry sling (a web strap should be OK). A slung arm can appear less threatening, yet you retain control over it.

Any quality handgun would serve just fine. I'm thinking a GP100 in a pancake holster, concealed, of course. Again, it's totally reliable, and I'm very comfortable with it.

Simple and reliable.

Regards,
Dirty Bob

col_tapiocca
August 27, 2007, 05:17 PM
Nothing else as a Glock for handgun :)
And for Rifle I'll take a Stery AUG with original miltary optic from Swarovski. Very short rifle due to bullpup rifle design.
Very handy in use for short distance and accurate enought to hit a man size target at 300 m.

Pistol: is there anything more reliable than a Glock?
definitely not!

MS .45
August 27, 2007, 05:26 PM
From what I currently own:

Glock 17 and Kel-tec 9mm Carbine.

They share ammo and mags so if one goes down I can still use all the ammo I have on me(I can load nearly 200 rounds in the mags I own). I also have a couple 33 round mags. That capacity would be nice in the environment you discribed. While the 9mm is not the best for a long gun, the Kel-tec has proven to be accurate out to 100yards and is reliable.

SuperNaut
August 27, 2007, 06:04 PM
What is with these ancient threads today?

As to the 700+ day old OP:

Beretta 8045 Cougar
Beretta CX3 Storm .45 w/red-dot.
Shared mags/ammo, light, short, scary-looking.

Oh, and a beefy Angus Trim Tac Short Sword for when the ammo runs out...

MinScout
August 27, 2007, 06:33 PM
I don't live in an urban area, but ok. I'd choose my Bushy M4orgery and Beretta 92 9mm. I also like the Winchester '94 30-30 as an alternate rifle choice.

TCUGLOCKER
August 27, 2007, 08:26 PM
Mossberg 590A1 and my Glock 33.

I also think a Saiga12 along with a Glock 20 would be dandy.

Out West
August 27, 2007, 11:05 PM
...S&W 627 PC 8 shot .357 mag and scoped CZ 452 22. I can defend and eat just about anywhere in the world. Plus, I can carry enough ammo on my back to last more than year.

Out West

Andrewsky
August 27, 2007, 11:44 PM
I'd go with an M1A SOCOM 16 with an aimpoint and a light, and a 1911. The pistol is irrelevant, because the M1A won't stop shooting.:D

BTW, half of the guns in my safe are shotguns. I just don't think they have sufficient range for anything but raiding a house or home defense.

rocinante
August 28, 2007, 07:40 AM
I'd grab what I have.

Long gun is a Saiga 12 guage shotgun with 10 round magazines filled with 00 buckshot.

Handgun is a S&W 915, 3rd gen 9 mm, 15 rounds of hollow point.

Tomac
August 28, 2007, 08:33 AM
My choice for long gun is the FN PS90: Short, light, manueverable, fully ambidextrous, easily fired from prone, 50rds in a mag, no recoil, mild muzzle blast, no muzzle flash, flat trajectory, 200m effective range, can be aimed/fired effectively w/one hand.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/ResizeofPS90withAimpointCompM4001.jpg
Handgun would be the companion FN Five-seveN: Low recoil, flat trajectory, 20rd mag, uses the same ammo as the PS90 so logistics are simplified. I shoot it faster & more accurately than any other handgun (YMMV).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/ResizeofFN57w-X2LLaser-Light001.jpg
Tomac

DrDremel
August 28, 2007, 11:31 AM
I'd take one of my CZ75s and my 12.5" barreled shotgun. Chances are, concealment will be important. The post about the sniper shooting people with rifles proves this. The pistol can be with me at all times, the shotgun can be hidden yet within reach. Should a firearm be needed, the short shotgun will still reach out to 100 yards. It is hard to envision a scenario where you need to shoot further than that. It gives me 5 rounds of slugs. If I am facing more than that, it won't matter what I have because by the time you have shot the 4th person, the 5th one will have shot you already anyway. These will be strictly defensive, and used as a last resort. The short shotgun is easy to maneuver in a vehicle or building as well.

If I were to grab a long gun instead of the shotgun, it would be an AK. Reliable and accurate enough for the distances that would be justified for self defense.

30 cal slob
August 28, 2007, 12:11 PM
OK, here is the situation, you have to grab ONE handgun and one long arm (shotgun or rifle) and defend your self in an urban setting. You are not going to war, only defending yourself so no need for sniper rifles since you don't want to pick fights. Most of the shooting will probably be done at very close range and lets say only a few bad guys at a time. You don't have to be Rambo but if the gun fails, you will probably be killed. You should be familiar enough with the gun that you can handle it in the dark and under stress. You also need to be 100% confident in it's reliabilty and function.

I have several AR-15s but the chance of a jam is too great. My SKSs have all been reliable but they are long and heavy and slow to reload. Revolvers are the reliabilty kings but they take way too long to reload unless you are very good with them, which I am not.

well, truth be told, i have several AR-15's (m4geries, really) topped off with aimpoint red dots and Glock 19's for this very purpose.

my rationale: these are ubiquitous guns, are fairly easy to operate, and parts and ammo would be a little easier to come by than something a little more exotic.

the glock is reliable enough. i'm not too concerned with the AR's - since I probably won't be shooting them full auto in harsh environments (sand, saltwater, mud, snow, three-day-old beer vomit). yes, the direct impingement design means that the AR will ***** where it sleeps but for the average joe who won't fire it much and can clean it, this isn't going to be a huge concern.

glockman19
August 28, 2007, 01:39 PM
Hard decision:

Glock 19 and the AR-15 with M855, .9mm & 5.56, Reliable & Effective in CQB penetration is the issue.
or
1911 and Remington 870, .45 & Slugs, punch & power
or
S&W 629 & Marlin 1894SS, .44mag combo, The ultimate caliber combo
or
S&W 686 & mini-14, .357mag & .223, until I can get a 1894CS .357 Combo
or
1911 & SA M1A, .45 & 7.62, most powerful Combo next to the .44mag battle tested
or
A mix of any of the above, the combinations are endless.

Baron357
August 28, 2007, 03:21 PM
My Arsenal AK and S&W 620 along with 150 rounds of 7.62x39 and a pocket full of .357 magnums.

High Planes Drifter
August 28, 2007, 04:20 PM
Oh my! --another SHTF thread!!

I lived very near Biloxi MS and sat through Katrina, so I think my choices are "qualified".

New Orleans area here (westbank). Stayed for the whole thing also.

Anyway, back on topic. I had my M1A and my Springer GI on me the whole time. Next time, I think I'll take my AK74 scince I have a bunch of ammo for it.
That, and my M1A got heavy carrying it around all day. Handgun choice stays the same. My old .45 runs like a scalded dog and Im "good" with it and comfortable with it. That counts for alot IMO. Like someone said earlier, the software is more important than the hardware.

Regolith
August 28, 2007, 05:52 PM
BTW, half of the guns in my safe are shotguns. I just don't think they have sufficient range for anything but raiding a house or home defense.

Ever hear of slugs? :neener:

Those extend your range out to about 100 or so yards; 200 if you practice a lot. Anything further than that is fairly hard to consider self defense under normal circumstances, and in any case the OP asked for close range weapons anyway ;)

Nil
August 28, 2007, 05:59 PM
As of right now, the long arm would be a 20" CMMG AR-15 I'm running a "torture test" on the AR right now and I've put a little under 600 rounds through it without a malfunction and with no cleaning. Some of those shots were during 2 fairly fire intensive (90ish rounds) runs through a USPSA rifle side match. So I'm more than happy with it's accuracy and reliability so far. It might be a bit longer than I'd like, but it's my most suitable long gun for self defense.

The pistol would be my Springfield XD 9. It's run like a clock through ~5000 rounds, though to be honest, I've lost count so it could be anywhere from 4500 or so to 6000. Only one stove pipe from a Remington Golden Saber the entire time, so it's reliable as anything I've seen. I've even dropped it in the snow and the mud and it worked just fine afterwards.

scott1119
August 28, 2007, 06:11 PM
Long gun- Rock River Entry Tactical
Hand Gun- Kimber Custom Target

Elm Creek Smith
August 29, 2007, 12:11 AM
If it's what I have now, the handgun is a S&W 3 inch RB Model 13 with Bianchi Lightning grips loaded with .357 Magnum Silvertips and speedloaders in every pocket of my vest; the long gun is my Rossi M92 in .45 Colt with 225 grain Silvertips and some 300 grain JSP "Bear loads" in case I have to kill a truck or shoot through cover. If I hit the Powerball before the SHTF, it will probably still be my S&W (I regularly shoot out to 100 meters with it as well as CQB drills.) or a Springfield HD40 Tactical and the long gun would be a Springfield SOCOM II with a EOTech Holo sight.

ECS

doubleg
August 29, 2007, 12:31 AM
My kimber 1911, and a refurbished Enfield 2A wih a bunch of stripper clips(dont own yet.). I would grab my New Haven pump if it was just a HD cituation.

Silvanus
August 29, 2007, 08:39 AM
Glock 17 and AK-47.

jkingrph
August 29, 2007, 08:50 AM

Posts: 286 I'd take one of my CZ75s and my 12.5" barreled shotgun. Chances are, concealment will be important. The post about the sniper shooting people with rifles proves this. The pistol can be with me at all times, the shotgun can be hidden yet within reach. Should a firearm be needed, the short shotgun will still reach out to 100 yards. It is hard to envision a scenario where you need to shoot further than that. It gives me 5 rounds of slugs. If I am facing more than that, it won't matter what I have because by the time you have shot the 4th person, the 5th one will have shot you already anyway. These will be strictly defensive, and used as a last resort. The short shotgun is easy to maneuver in a vehicle or building as well.

I hope that shotgun is properly registered, ie, with a 12.5" barrel!!

C1an!de
August 29, 2007, 01:37 PM
gee you yanks are gun crazy

silverlance
August 29, 2007, 02:15 PM
No Way In Hell Im Leaving My House Without My Guns! They Are All Coming With Me, Even If I Have To Strap Them To My Underwear And Duct Tape Them To My Buttcheeks.

Claude Clay
August 29, 2007, 07:22 PM
me colt sporter (1/7-68 gr for out to 500+yards & sling & harris bi-pod & 5x21 illuminated/ military ranger) w/ 4x30 +2x20 & kimber (w/left grip detachable red dot) w/18 sticks.....kid:10-22 w/ sling & w/3-9x & 6 blocks: trailside w/ red dot & 10 mags ( did ya know it will function relailibly w/ s&w 41 mags?) wife does reloading & carries 45LC pistol on my SASS 24 loop kwicks draw rig & 1892 rifle(sling & lots of shot shells for her...LOL). horse on back order.

1911Tuner
August 29, 2007, 07:51 PM
If I had to choose one handgun and one long gun to cover all bases...I think I'd go back to an old, practical custom and pick a 4-inch .357 revolver and a short Trapper-length (Or similar) .357 lever-action carbine. Rossi makes a dandy. The .44 magnum combo would be second choice, mainly because most revolvers in that caliber are large and heavy. Same goes for .45 Colt...while .357 revolvers are available in easily portable sizes. .38 Special and .357 Magnum ammunition is available almost anywhere you look, and the prices are more user-friendly than the larger bores.

squinty
September 1, 2007, 06:31 AM
Based on what I've got:

Remington 870 Marine Magnum. Reliable and versatile, and it's what I have. Mix of shot and KO slugs in my pockets.

For a handgun, either the Ruger p90 or Sig 220 carry (both w/ crimson trace laser grips) IF concealment isn't an issue. But I can easily imagine civil chaos type scenarios involving police, Nat. Guard, or private contractees disarming civilian gun owners in an attempt to restore "order" - so perhaps a more deeply concealable handgun, like a Kahr p45 or j-frame, would be the better handgun choice. If they get your long gun , or you're forced to stow it somewhere to be inconspicuous, you might still retain the little snubbie.

But what I'd probably do, really, is grab every gun I had in a blind panic and run clanking away from the house so loaded down that the zombies easily catch me...

Ninja42
September 1, 2007, 07:06 AM
Handgun: Agh, if only I could choose two! I guess I would choose my CZ 75 SP-01, and let my P210 stay at home. Sorry babe, it is not because I dont love you :(

Long arm: The Rheinmetall MG3 that I was trained to use back in the army, and a few 1000 round belts. Dreadfully unreliable to be honest, but I wouldnt feel safer with any other weapon in my hands.

frogomatic
September 1, 2007, 01:18 PM
I'd take a 1911 and an AK.

Sixgun44001
September 1, 2007, 07:52 PM
Simple....357 Magnum Smith 686 and my worked over Springfield "G.I. .45" that is no longer a "G.I.". One lights up the room in the dark and the other is used to guarantee stopping power of virtually any threat. You pick which is which.

arctictom
September 1, 2007, 08:07 PM
357 Taurus tracker , 45-70 1895 GG .

ilcylic
September 1, 2007, 08:35 PM
S&W Model 29 & Winchester 1894 (.44 Magnum)

Or

Para 16.10 & Arsenal AK (10mm & 7.62x39)

Black Raven
February 16, 2008, 10:13 PM
I run a survival think tank going to start a yahoo group to that effect in the near future.

It is interesting me and my think tank pondered this type scenario a few mothes ago after watching a marathon of zombie type movies Dawn of he Dead 28 days later ect.
It was basically a shoot the **** conversation while everyone had their personal preference collectively we decided on the following array of general weapons
Shotgun---870 Remington extended tube and tactical accessories light and reflex or holosight. or
Bennelli 1040 JCS with collapsable stock and for ammo we agreed definitively
#4 Buckshot and rifled slugs. slugs for medium range engagements and #4 Buck for CQB.

Pistol----Glock 17 or 19 chambered for .357 sig/.40S&W with high capacity magazines 25rds+
( my personal preference was Springfield XD .357sig with High Cap Mag)

Rifle/Carbine/SMG--- thi was our most heated discussion as everryone had their own ideas The M-4 family weapons was popular, while a couple of the guys said that the Beretta CX Storm in .45acp since extended Beretta 92f mags will fit in the CX Storm.
(my personal preference was H&K's 416 M-4 style chambered for 6.8SPC w/ the shorter 14.5" barrel)

Guy
February 16, 2008, 10:23 PM
If were going off what we own i would take my AK 47 and my FNP-40.

If it was what i wish had it would be a thommy gun and a 1911 interchangable ammo and massive firepower at close range.

BENELLIMONTE
February 16, 2008, 10:30 PM
Taurus PT92 AF (9mm) w 6 17round clips
DPMS M4 (.223 Rem) w 7 20 round clips

Huddog
February 16, 2008, 10:37 PM
What I have: Kimber 1911 and Bushmaster M-4

If what I wanted: Same thing.

weisse52
February 16, 2008, 10:43 PM
Colt 1911

ScotZ
February 16, 2008, 10:53 PM
Sorry but I'm taking three

1) SIG 229 .40cal

2) 20" Rem 870

3) Rem 700 30-06

I am sure 1 & 2 would be fine but that 700 just makes me feel good:neener:

crebralfix
February 16, 2008, 11:17 PM
Glock and AKs.

If you enjoyed reading about "One handgun and one long gun for self defense and reliabilty." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!