E. German Steyr SSG82 "Wall Rifle": Should I or shouldn't I?

PDA

Tamara
March 22, 2003, 08:01 PM
Saw one recently; got the jones.

Anyone have one?

(Those that bought one when the first hit the market, lucky you. They were six-and-change; last couple I saw were twelve bills; this one's a grand... But I want it; I want it sooo badly! :eek: )

If you enjoyed reading about "E. German Steyr SSG82 "Wall Rifle": Should I or shouldn't I?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dave R
March 22, 2003, 08:06 PM
You think someone here is going to tell you NOT to get it?

Tamara
March 22, 2003, 08:16 PM
I'm halfway hopin'... ;)

Responsible Tam: "What are you going to use it for? It's gonna set back your AR purchase by a month!"
Instant Gratification Tam: "But it's so cool!"
Responsible Tam: "It's not really a milsurp, you know. They're supposed to be only 2-MOA at best, and you'll need to add a new caliber to your stockpile."
Instant Gratification Tam: "But it's so cool!"

You can see my dilemma. I'm hoping to avoid having to dig a Binary Decision-Making Device out of my pocket and flip it... :o

DerRottweiler
March 22, 2003, 08:42 PM
Tamara

Just dig out that ole Binary Decision Making Device and give it a Flip!!:p

Soap
March 22, 2003, 08:48 PM
Yes.

cslinger
March 22, 2003, 08:59 PM
Responsible Chris: "What are you going to use it for? The P7 is heavy for a low capacity 9mm!"
Instant Gratification Chris: "But it's so cool!"
Responsible Chris: "It's so expensive and so are the parts and magazines."
Instant Gratification Chris: "But it's so cool!"

Guess we know how that turned out for me and I love my P7.

So the moral of the story is screw responsiblility and get the cool gun.

DISCLAIMER: You have just received advice from the 8 year old inside of Cslinger. Cslinger is not responsible for you not being able to pay your rent, put gas in your car or for you having to eat just Raman noodles.

Chris:D

Marko Kloos
March 22, 2003, 09:05 PM
Well, seeing as how the ground at gun shows is thick with AR-15 type rifles, and will remain that way for the foreseeable time, I'd say "get the Commie sniper rifle". You just don't see too many of those DDR SSGs out there.

Besides, that way I'll get to play with it, too.

:D

BigG
March 22, 2003, 09:25 PM
What caliber is it?

Marko Kloos
March 22, 2003, 09:26 PM
5.45x39mm, same as the AK-74.

BHP9
March 22, 2003, 10:40 PM
Responsible Tam: "It's not really a milsurp, you know. They're supposed to be only 2-MOA at best, and you'll need to add a new caliber to your stockpile."

As usual wrong information.

You have a strange definition of milsurp. If this is not milsurp than neither would any of the other sniper rifles the worlds militaries have used. I remember seeing pictures of communist troops in uniform with this rifle. And we all know what they were used for.

These rifles are very accurate. The problem lies not with the excellence of this very high quality weapon but with the quality of the ammo. Fed good ammo which is very difficult to find the guns are capable of phenominal accuracy. A buddy of my has one and we cooked up some hand swaged jacketed match bullets and the gun shot 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch groups all day long.

A word of warning though. Be very carefull if shooting military surplus steel cased garbage ammo. Its not only very inaccurate but the steel cases will sometimes stick in the chamber and when they do it is very easy to break the extractor on this rifle and there are no parts whatsover available for it. We had to make an extractor and then heat treat it when my buddy broke his. Our design was made to take a licking and keep on kicking and it is still doing so two years later. And no we won't make one for anyone else that needs one. WE are not set up for mass production.

Another alternative is to use cast bullets if you do not what to lay out the cash for all the equipment necessary to swage your own jacketed bullets.

Another alternative would be to contact custom bullet makers that might be willing to make a large quantity for you. A group buy would probably be necessary to get them interested.

The rifle in and of itself is a very desirable collectors piece even if you never shoot it but the quality of the weapon begs for shooting.

Just remember do not let the nay sayers stop you from getting one of these very desirable rifles. Its not for the average Joe who does not reload and knows little about advanced hand loading procedures but for the advanced collector and reloader and ammo creator its not all that much of a challenge.

Tamara
March 22, 2003, 10:43 PM
As usual wrong information.

While I appreciate the info in the rest of your post, this tidbit could have been entirely left out. :p

(Gee, and here everybody else talks about the fact that they get 1-2 MOA with good loads and worse with milsurp...)

BigG
March 22, 2003, 11:16 PM
This must be the SSG they were selling a couple of years ago quite a few places in SGN. (I had visions of one of those old Mauser antitank rifles when you called it a wall gun). If it is a Steyr I would think it would be as accurate as a laser beam. If anything, the ammo would be the culprit for any lack of accuracy I would guess.

Gewehr98
March 22, 2003, 11:26 PM
That lets you swage U.S. 5.56mm bullets down to 5.45mm. Then you resize 7.62x39 brass and, voila!, match grade ammo! ;) (When I was pondering the same purchase a couple years ago...)

QuarterBoreGunner
March 22, 2003, 11:46 PM
Do it; I passed on this one when Century International had them for $600 and change; been kicking my self ever since.

On a side note, is any one making reloadable brass for that caliber yet? It's the 5.45 x 39mm right?

Tamara
March 23, 2003, 12:25 AM
Then you resize 7.62x39 brass and, voila!

Dude, I trust you implicitly, but 5.45x39 and 7.62x39 have completely different cases. I'm not clear, here... :confused: :uhoh:

Schuey2002
March 23, 2003, 12:40 AM
This is just like Skunk asking if he will buy a Wilson CQB or not.

It's only a matter of time before he gets one, the same thing applies in your case with this rifle. Why fight the inevitable ?! If you want one this badly then...

Just do it! :)

Schuey2002
March 23, 2003, 01:22 AM
I'm hoping to avoid having to dig a Binary Decision-Making Device out of my pocket and flip it...
If it lands on HEADS,then you buy the gun; if it lands on Tails,then you don't.

http://www.prankplace.com/images/ppquarter.gif

:neener:

Gewehr98
March 23, 2003, 10:43 AM
:( I was thinking the 5.45x39 was somehow related to the .22 Russian target round, (parent of the wunnerful PPC series of cartridges) which in turn was derived from the Soviet 7.62 service round. The 5.45 is a totally different beast, once I pulled out The Illustrated Reference of Cartridge Dimensions. Hmmm, now I gotta dig for a dimensionally similar piece of brass that's commonly available. Lathe rurn the rim down on a .357 Remington Maximum to .394", neck it down to bullet diameter while forming a shoulder, trim it back to 1.55", but there's gonna be some case forming near the extractor groove to make up the .014" difference. Time to fire up the mini-lathe! That's assuming RCBS has the dies ready to go, too.

(It's a lot of fun. I've been selling a bunch of reloadable 7.62x45 Chech VZ-52 brass, using .223 Swift and 6.5x64 M-S brass as the parent cartridge)

c_yeager
March 23, 2003, 10:53 AM
Now i dont know very much about reloading but, there is a guy over at ak-47.net trying to reload 5.45 as well. The closest brass that he could find was .222rem and those worked OK at best. I guess the only available brass with the same head size is the 9mm family. heres a link to the relevant thread over there.

http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73

Oh and there is MAYBE a source of brass http://www.buffaloarms.com/baco2.htm look under "other" its has an asterix which means they MIGHT make it and even if they did its $120/100 :neener:

El Tejon
March 23, 2003, 11:24 AM
Those things are still around???

Bought one when the 6s first approved (cannot remember the year). Safe queen, but it was fun to take to the range and plink with while wearing my leather coat--vee vill ask den questionen!:D

I got 2.5" with Volk ammo off the bench at 100 yards. If I had to do over, I would not, but YMMV. HTH.

Tamara
March 23, 2003, 05:50 PM
Responsible Tam got dragged into an alley and mugged viciously by Inner Five Year-Old Tam.

The guy knocking a hundred off the price sealed the deal. :)

BHP9
March 23, 2003, 05:57 PM
(Gee, and here everybody else talks about the fact that they get 1-2 MOA with good loads and worse with milsurp...)

Not to flame anyone but you must take into consideration the skill of the shooter even if he is shooting off of sand bags.

Sako and I believe Norma both at one time imported some of this boxer primed brass and you can also reprime berdan primed cases and even steel cases but they are generally good for one reload.

You can make cases from 6.5x54 m/s. Anneal case and form in two die form set. Cut case to length. Turn rim to .441" dia. and back chamfer. F/L size to form and swage base. Trime to length. Fireform in chamber.

Kaylee
March 23, 2003, 06:04 PM
Responsible Tam got dragged into an alley and mugged viciously by Inner Five Year-Old Tam.

... sounds like responsible Tam needs to Protect Herself better. Perhaps she needs a carry pistol? :)

-K

El Tejon
March 23, 2003, 06:12 PM
BHP, excellent point. Tamara, it was me shooting (worst shot on the Internet) without bags but with rest and I just shot the Volk stuff and put it away. It's been in the safe since '96 or whenever. There's better ammo about if you want to get little groups (yawn).

Handy
March 23, 2003, 06:36 PM
Well, someone thinks you got a good deal:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976292203.htm

Gewehr98
March 23, 2003, 07:26 PM
Sako and I believe Norma both at one time imported some of this boxer primed brass and you can also reprime berdan primed cases and even steel cases but they are generally good for one reload.

You can make cases from 6.5x54 m/s. Anneal case and form in two die form set. Cut case to length. Turn rim to .441" dia. and back chamfer. F/L size to form and swage base. Trime to length. Fireform in chamber.

Dude, what cartridge are you talking about, with a 6.5x54M-S parent case and a .441" rim diameter? :scrutiny: It sure as heck ain't the 5.45x39 AK74 round Tamara needs for her East German sniper:

http://mauser98.com/ak74rnd.jpg

Tamara
March 23, 2003, 08:12 PM
Well, someone thinks you got a good deal:

Sweet Vishnu! :eek:

...and I thought those folks wanting $1200 were kinda delusional! :what:

cslinger
March 23, 2003, 10:04 PM
Would it possible to post a picture. I would like to see what you picked up. I have a picture in my head but might be confusing it with something else.

Chris

Gewehr98
March 23, 2003, 10:49 PM
This picture should work, if only temporarily:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/upload/976292203-1.jpg

Here's a close-up view:

http://world.guns.ru/sniper/ssg82_1.jpg

Dr.Rob
March 24, 2003, 12:42 AM
Back when they were $600 I thought it might make an interesting varmint rifle, provided you could get decent Norma ammunition for it. I really like the look of the stock and the trigger guard, but that scope mounting system screams "I was made behind the iron curtain!"

Cool stuff, Tams, let us know how it shoots.

Tamara
April 6, 2003, 11:49 PM
...but the check cleared this weekend.

Watched Ronin last night, then zipped across town today in my BMW roadster with Just A Job To Do by Genesis on the stereo and a Springfield Professional on my hip to go to a rendezvous in a rainy parking lot to pick up my East German sniper rifle. Sometimes, life is pretty durn cool... ;)

Bonus points for identifying all three movie posters on the wall behind the rifle... ;)

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=213396

Chris Rhines
April 7, 2003, 12:50 AM
Far left and far right are Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs. Center appears to be a movie called Blood Lust.

Oh, nice rifle, btw. How's the scope?

- Chris

Tamara
April 7, 2003, 01:00 AM
Oh, nice rifle, btw. How's the scope?

What communism did to the sacred name of Zeiss should be considered a crime against humanity...

Better than a PSO, but more distortion than any BSA or Leapers I've squinted through, lately... ;)

drannor
April 7, 2003, 01:55 AM
Perhaps my eyes fail me.... are those TSR 2nd edition source books on the bottom shelf? Looks like SpellJammer, Forgotten Realms, and lo and behold some orange spined 1st Edition rule books. You know people who play RPG's are evil! :neener:

Interested to hear how it shoots.

Tamara
April 7, 2003, 02:10 AM
I confess: I'm a geek! :eek: :o

Bergeron
April 7, 2003, 03:58 AM
An East German Styer SSG chambered in 5.45x39?!

SCHWEEETNESS!!

Tamara, do really cool guns always tend to find you, or is it the other way around?

M67
April 7, 2003, 10:11 AM
Tamara, do really cool guns always tend to find you, or is it the other way around?My impression from reading her posts, is that she has a number of pushers. Ruthless dealers who have spent years cultivating her addiction by offering her deals and bargains. By now I would guess half the gun stores in the south-east US have her on speed-dial. :)

But I'm probably wrong. You're not addicted to cool guns, are you, Tamara? You can quit any time, right? :D

(I know, I know, this isn't me speaking, it's the envy... :p )

Bergeron
April 7, 2003, 09:59 PM
Hmmm..... gun pushers.

That's really good idea!

I want some!

ShaiVong
April 7, 2003, 10:12 PM
A woman who likes TSR AND GUNS! Talk about envy!

ShaiVong
April 7, 2003, 10:13 PM
WOOT SR MEMBER! I'm on my way to McDonalds now to get that cheap coffie!

Tamara
April 7, 2003, 11:49 PM
Okay, the movie posters (l. to r.) are for Pulp Fiction, Natural Born Killers and Reservoir Dogs. Atop the small bookshelves to the left and right are airsoft guns (an FN P90, HK MP5KPDW, and a Beretta 93R). The top bookshelf in the picture has my Gameboy kit and assorted physics and astronomy books, the shelf below it has the Sega GameGear, some model rockets, and FASA's Renegade Legion: Centurion stuff. Below that are various history and military history books, while the bottom shelf contains RPG stuff and paleontology and Dougal Dixon "alternate evolution" texts, as well as a rack of motorcycle mags and one of gun rags. The small right-hand bookshelf has baseball and automotive books and gun cleaning supplies, while the left one is a mishmash of paperbacks, computer game boxes, James F. Dunnigan military history tomes, and Army & Air Force FM's. I'm nothing if not eclectic... ;)

spacemanspiff
April 8, 2003, 05:10 PM
i'm sorry folks, that pink chair is completely ruining the moment of looking at a rare beauty of a rifle....

tamara, could you indulge at least just me and retake the picture against a different (perhaps more tactical) background?
:evil:

Handy
April 8, 2003, 06:16 PM
Okay, the movie posters (l. to r.) are for Pulp Fiction, Natural Born Killers and Reservoir Dogs. Atop the small bookshelves to the left and right are airsoft guns (an FN P90, HK MP5KPDW, and a Beretta 93R). The top bookshelf in the picture has my Gameboy kit and assorted physics and astronomy books, the shelf below it has the Sega GameGear, some model rockets, and FASA's Renegade Legion: Centurion stuff. Below that are various history and military history books, while the bottom shelf contains RPG stuff and paleontology and Dougal Dixon "alternate evolution" texts, as well as a rack of motorcycle mags and one of gun rags. The small right-hand bookshelf has baseball and automotive books and gun cleaning supplies, while the left one is a mishmash of paperbacks, computer game boxes, James F. Dunnigan military history tomes, and Army & Air Force FM's. I'm nothing if not eclectic...

And what do the other young ladies on the pom squad and Student Council think of all this? At least your parents must be happy that you keep your room clean.:D

(Don't take the above jibe personally. My life is just about as juvenial. At least you like quality fiction.)

Andrew Wyatt
April 8, 2003, 09:14 PM
My room looks like that, except with fewer movie posters, more GURPS stuff and no airsofts.

Schuey2002
April 8, 2003, 09:36 PM
I still can't get past those bright orange thingies that keep poppin' up in these photos..

((Is this supposed to be some sorta' subliminal message or what?)) :uhoh:

http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Poke.gif ;)

T.Stahl
April 11, 2003, 04:13 PM
An East German Styer SSG chambered in 5.45x39?!

There seems to be a misunderstanding. They are not Steyrs. SSG is a rather common abbreviation for Scharfsch├╝tzengewehr.
The SSG 82s were manufactured in Suhl.

El Tejon
April 11, 2003, 05:56 PM
Herr Stahl, you did not reckon with the magic of the name, "Steyr.":D It was a misprint on the 6 and the wholesalers picked up on it to move merchandise, see also, Bulgar Kalishiklones.:D It's all about the Benjamins.

Silly equipment-happy Americans. It's a SSShhhytire! It MUST be good--COOL! Iwannacoolgun.

Gewehr98
April 11, 2003, 11:10 PM
Seem to be related to images of guns that require extra lighting. ;)

If ya wanna know what our esteemed moderator collects in role playing games, just look at the bids she won on E-Bay. Pretty good outlay of coinage, besides the BMW Z3, for being unemployed! :D

Tamara
April 12, 2003, 12:04 AM
Silly equipment-happy Americans. It's a SSShhhytire! It MUST be good--COOL! Iwannacoolgun.

Beats heck out of Iwannasuckygunvirus. You really need some new material, El T! ;)

Move that FNC yet? Anything else that you're too cool for cluttering up the safe that you maybe wanna sell to fund a tacgolf vacation? I'm startin' to feel the jones again... :D

Tamara
April 12, 2003, 12:10 AM
You're quite right... (Although that beautiful cold-hammer-forged spiral-twist barrel does remind me of a Mannlicher-stocked .243 Steyr sporter I once had the severe hots for... :eek: :D )

Newton
April 12, 2003, 11:00 PM
Looks like an air rifle.

Why on Earth would anyone pay that kind of money for one.

Tamara
April 12, 2003, 11:08 PM
Looks like an air rifle.

:confused:

Bergeron
April 13, 2003, 01:27 AM
So it's not a Styer, big deal.

It's still pretty cool.

And, ya know, Iwannacoolgun.

C'mon El Tejon say it with me, you'll feel better.

Iwannacoolgun...
Iwannacoolgun...
IWANNACOOLGUN!

There, I feel better now.

Byron Quick
April 13, 2003, 09:34 AM

Responsible Byron has been held captive in an underground bunker by Outer Five Year-Old Byron for about four decades. The prospects for escape or rescue are very low.

Three reasons:
1) My bills are paid and responsibilities met.
2) I wanted it.
3) It's my money.

Next question?:rolleyes:

Marko Kloos
April 13, 2003, 09:38 AM

Same reason why people spend $900 on a fiberglass hood for their truck, or $900 on a medieval outfit and a rapier for SCA: because they can, because it's fun, and because the best thing about being an adult is that your toy budget greatly increases.

Tamara
September 23, 2003, 06:55 PM
Finally dragged the SSG82 to a real rifle range (the 200-yd benchrest range at ORSA for you E. Tennesseeans) to do something other than shoot soda cans in the back yard with it.

Had two types of ammo, both steel-cased Russkie garbage (Oh, yeah? Well you try and find anything else in 5.45x39 for sale!). One was ball, one was soft-point "hunting ammo".

Fired a few rounds of the soft-point stuff. Boy, did it make the bolt sticky. :uhoh: On the third round, as predicted on page one of this thread, the bolt wouldn't open. Handed the rifle to rennaissancemann, whose forearms are as big as my lower legs. With a massive *grunt*, he levered the bolt open. The case didn't extract. Hmmm... Go down and pester the two older guys shooting at the far end. The guy shooting the engraved Schuetzen-style rifle on the Martini action hands me a .22 rod. I wander back down to my station and give the thing a couple of half-hearted taps down the bore. Nada. The guy shooting next to him says "Hang on, my truck has two things always in it: a steering wheel and a .22 rod." He comes down to my station, and with me holding the rifle upright with its buttplate on the ground, gives it a few vigorous whacks down the barrel, popping the case loose. After he went back to shooting (amidst my profuse thanks) I examined the boltface. Sure enough, the extractor was a goner. Oh, well... I popped the smallest screwdriver blade out on my Leatherman to serve as an impromptu extractor, and sat down to shoot my single shot rifle.

I abandoned the softpoint "hunting ammo" as it seemed to disagree (rather violently) with this rifle and went to shooting the ball stuff. It was a little high at 100-yards, so without touching the scope, at the next cold range, I wandered out to the 200-yard targets to see if anyone had left an old one up that I could make use of. Sure enough, there was a pristine sight-in target hanging there. When the line went hot again, I popped five FMJ rounds at it off the bench, and was rewarded with a 4" group centered some 2" right of the bull. Not bad for crap steel-case milspec ammo.

I'll drag the bolt to work tomorrow and hold our 'smith hostage 'til he whittles me up a new extractor, I think. This is one fun shootin' iron. :D

BigG
September 23, 2003, 08:31 PM
Cool breeze, Tamara! :D I recently shot my Steyr 376 Scout with Hornady ammo. 2" at 100 yds. The cross hairs about cover the bull but shoot it shore aims and shoots right nice.

PS: Shot Grizzly 44 Mag also. That puppy, a 1911 on steroids, is schweet! :)

Futo Inu
September 24, 2003, 03:50 PM
"Watched Ronin last night, then zipped across town today in my BMW roadster with Just A Job To Do by Genesis on the stereo and a Springfield Professional on my hip to go to a rendezvous in a rainy parking lot to pick up my East German sniper rifle. Sometimes, life is pretty durn cool."

Tee hee.

Yeah, you have TSR books, BUT do you still have the original Monster Manual, Monster Manual II, Player's Handbook, and Dungeon Master's Guide from D&D? :) How big of a geek am I? Lol.

For that matter, why would anyone pay $1,000.00+ for air rifles that look like (god forbid) air rifles? Because as the Nuge might say, they KICK MAXIMUM A$$! As does your rifle, Tam. Scope comes standard then eh? What's the difference in your $900 one and that $2225 one on the auction? Hopefully none for your sake. But Tam, just think, if you turned around and sold yours for $2225, that would buy you your AR AND how many run-of-the-mill milsurps? :evil:

Also, re the 5.45x39, look here (current discussion):

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41407

If you enjoyed reading about "E. German Steyr SSG82 "Wall Rifle": Should I or shouldn't I?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!