How to justify large amounts of standard capacity mags to the folks?

PDA

TheLastBoyScout
March 22, 2003, 09:29 PM
I want to snag some USGI or British AR15 30 rounders (like 8 or more). They really stick out too far to shoot from the bench, and thats how I do most of my shooting. Why do I tell my parents I want them? Even though my dad is a semi radical conservative, but I doubt my real explanation would go over well. I really want 'em because after seeing Oleg's work I realize that if, God forbid, I actually need a combat load of fullcap mags (aliens, Al Qaeda parachute assault, extremely large home invasion or homeland invasion whatever fill in the blank) then it would be way too late for me to get ahold of any through normal channels.
How do I justify the purchase, if possible without alluding to violence?

If you enjoyed reading about "How to justify large amounts of standard capacity mags to the folks?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
blades67
March 22, 2003, 09:34 PM
Tell your folks that you want them because sarah brady doesn't want you to have them.

Topgun
March 22, 2003, 09:34 PM
If you're using your own money, you should be living where you don't have to explain your purchases.

Hkmp5sd
March 22, 2003, 09:38 PM
Dig up some pictures of the LA race riots and add pictures from today's protest marches in NYC, SF and DC. It doesn't take much to go from a protest march to full scale riot.

Edward429451
March 22, 2003, 10:36 PM
Tell em 'investment & collection'. The gun market is booming like never before in history. One day you'll be able to sell them to a gun nut for a small fortune.;)

Bainx
March 22, 2003, 10:40 PM
Tell 'um you live by TheLastBoyScout motto "Be Prepared".:D

Shweboner
March 22, 2003, 10:42 PM
Well I cannot imagine it being a problem seeing that they let you have an AR15 to start with. I doubt it will be an issue. You can just say that its a pain in the *** to keep reloading mags. and since you can have one mag do the job of three.... you will be conserving resources and time. :D

Go ahead and get them... if you cant have them, I think we have a "for sale" forum on THR, dont we?

~Brain

larry_minn
March 22, 2003, 11:22 PM
Tell them that 10yrs ago the mags were worth X number of $$ (anyone know) for AR 30 rd mags? Then tell them what they are worth now. That if bill does not sunset they will jump AGAIN in price. A good investment that you CAN use.

CZ-75
March 22, 2003, 11:28 PM
Who cares?

Your money, your decision.

If your city and state don't prohibit them, then I see no reason to consult the folks on your purchase.

Oh, I should mention that there is an opportunity cost here. I wouldn't expect them to help me out with some other costs when I buy a couple hundred dollars worth of mags.

SodaPop
March 22, 2003, 11:51 PM
Because some people on the internet told you that you need them.

TheLastBoyScout
March 23, 2003, 12:00 AM
I don't need help as in money from them (I've been getting money all winter from people nearby for shoveling snow. It's been a real snowy winter around here) I just need to convince them to help me if, for example the place with the best prices is an internet dealer, and I don't have a credit card to pay him with. Also, they like to keep magazines locked away seperate from the rifles, so they'd have to know once the mags arrived, and I'd have to check to make sure they had somewhere secure to put them.
Thanks

CZ-75
March 23, 2003, 12:11 AM
Send a money order. Let them sort things out when they arrive.

Tommy Gunn
March 23, 2003, 01:50 AM
It's your money, your toys...

Mad Man
March 23, 2003, 01:56 AM
How to justify large amounts of standard capacity mags to the folks?

I want to snag some USGI or British AR15 30 rounders (like 8 or more).

Eight 30-round magazines is a large amount?

In some circles, that's just getting started...

StuporDave
March 23, 2003, 09:03 AM
It's your money, your toys...

Your money, your decision. If your city and state don't prohibit them, then I see no reason to consult the folks on your purchase.

If you're using your own money, you should be living where you don't have to explain your purchases.

Sorry folks - as long as my son is living under my roof, I will know what he brings into my house. I wouldn't have a problem with Boy Scout's mags, but I'd damn well want to know about them. I respect Last Boy Scout for knowing that he needs his parents permission.

Last Boy Scout, like Shweboner said, If they've let you have an AR15 I wouldn't think some exstra mags would be a big deal. Just my opinion, though. My son (17 years old) Has several 10 and 8 rounders for his 1911 pistol.

Dave

45King
March 23, 2003, 09:41 AM
TheLastBoyScout wrote:How do I justify the purchase, if possible without alluding to violence?

"I'm getting them because I want them."

Kharn
March 23, 2003, 09:46 AM
My mom asked why I had 30s for my ARs, I told her the reduced capacity ones were more expensive since they were new. (Which actually was true, my cousin gave me most of the 30 rounders I have)

Kharn

Quintin Likely
March 23, 2003, 09:54 AM
I haven't seen any stipulation in the 2nd Amendment that limits magazines or their capacity...

Sven
March 23, 2003, 10:44 AM
Tell your parents that these magazines are becoming more and more scarce - some people (such as Sven, here) can't even buy them anymore due to bizzare state laws.

Prices are only rising, so... in the interest of your future access to these items, you'd like to snap a few up now, while you can.

Chris Rhines
March 23, 2003, 12:17 PM
Eight AR-15 magazines? A lot? That strikes me as an absolute bare minimum... ;)

Magazines are consumables. They get lost. They break (I don't know the numbers, but I'd bet that if you tallied up all the semi-auto firearm malfunctions ever to happen, most of them would be related to bad magazines.) They're a pain to keep loading. And without magazines, a semi-auto firearm becomes a complicated single-shot.

Having tons of magazines just makes one's shooting life easier.

- Chris

Kenneth Lew
March 23, 2003, 12:41 PM
Why do you own a sports car, the speed limit is 70. A sports car encourages speeding.

Your equiped to be a whore. Are you a whore?

Why in the hell do you wear a Rolex (or any other nice watch)? A $8 watch works just as fine.

Why do you have a grill guard on your vehicle? Are you planning to run over people?

Why do you have ammonia, bleach, etc.? Are you planning to blow up something?

etc, etc, etc.

Kenneth Lew

Raymond VanDerLinden
March 23, 2003, 12:46 PM
LBScout,

It's clear some of the posts don't now your age. Like sven said. Talk it over with your Father first. Let him know that you'd have no problem with him controlling your access until you were 18. and See If he will help you with your Mother, whom I think is the real problem anyway.

BTW what is the url where you found those mags. Sheriff just issued me a Bushmaster copy of the M4 (Class III) that I have to go to a instructor class with in about a Month and I only have one Mag :(

Hkmp5sd
March 23, 2003, 12:50 PM
Raymond,

If you are an LEO, you can buy the postban 30-rounders. All you need is to order them on department letterhead. You can actually pay for them.

God
March 23, 2003, 01:48 PM
Raymond VanDerLinden LBScout,
...and I only have one Mag.

How many do you want? :D

10-Ring
March 23, 2003, 02:37 PM
Explain the functional & reliability advantage to the mags & any cost savings (buying only 8 vs. 24 10 rounders ;) )

BerettaNut92
March 23, 2003, 05:09 PM
Hmmm 8 30-rounders.
1. It's cheaper than 12 20 rounders.
2. It's cheaper than 24 10 rounders.
3. How do you know they will still be legal? I can't get them here in CA.

benEzra
March 23, 2003, 08:06 PM
Reliability. USGI mags have to meet gov't specs; 10-rounders don't.

Navy joe
March 23, 2003, 08:36 PM
Gov't cheese meets gov't specs Ben, what's your point? :) Personally I'd just tell your dad you want to try out 3-gun competition. It sounds innocent enough, with no warning of the impending financial abyss ahead.

sm
March 23, 2003, 09:07 PM
"Dad I really would appreciate your help in maintaining the HISTORICAL authenticity".

Atticus
March 23, 2003, 09:28 PM
"Um...Dad, these are ammo storage containers, not mags."

TheLastBoyScout
March 23, 2003, 10:24 PM
Navy Joe, you might be on to something. All that practical stuff I read about looks interesting, but I've always been more of a rifle person. Are there any good informational sites about 3 gun ?

(sorry for hijacking my own thread lol):rolleyes:

No4Mk1*
March 24, 2003, 12:21 AM
Get 20 round magazines. For a semi-auto rifle, 30 is not much better than 20. 20 rounders allow better work from the bench. And you need them to make your rifle as historically accurate as possible.

If your parents are going to keep items away from you, I would suggest the rifle first, then the ammo. Magazines are not required to fire the rifle so I don't see them as a safety issue unless your parents think you are going to go crazy shooting up the town.

CZ-75
March 24, 2003, 12:40 AM
I'd recommend mixing your complement, also. Some 20s, some 30s.

TheLastBoyScout
March 24, 2003, 10:51 AM
No. 4 Mk. 1,
The rifle is secured, but the ammo is secured separately. Magazines are kept loaded and secured with the ammo.

No4Mk1*
March 24, 2003, 11:51 AM
I see. Loaded mags = ammo. Ok so if you store some mags empty can you then just keep them in your room if you don't have ammo? You don't have to have all your mags loaded.

If you enjoyed reading about "How to justify large amounts of standard capacity mags to the folks?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!