CCI Blazer Aluminum Ammo 9mm and 45acp

PDA

CAnnoneer
July 27, 2005, 09:49 PM
What do you guys think about CCI Blazer ammo in 9mm and 45acp, both FMJ?

I do not intend to reload ammo, so aluminum is fine with me. I just want to practice inexpensively with as much ammo as possible. But, even reloads bought at the range get a bit pricy over time at 10-12 dollars a box of 50 rounds. On the other hand I have heard some rumors about problems with extraction etc. Is this dependent on the pistol model. I am mostly shooting Kimber 1911, Beretta 92FS, and Ruger P89.

Are there any other sources of inexpensive practice FMJ in those? What loads are we talking about?

Many thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "CCI Blazer Aluminum Ammo 9mm and 45acp" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
longhorngunman
July 27, 2005, 09:56 PM
I have a Sig 228, Steyr M9, and FN Hi-power all in 9mm, and a Glock 23 in ..45acp. I have fired over a thousand rounds of the aluminum blazer in my 9mm and probably 100 rds in .45. I've never had a FTE, FTF or any kind of failure with this ammo, shoots pretty clean also. For plinking you won't find a better deal. I get mine at Academy, 9mm $3.86/box of 50. Can't beat that. :)

CAnnoneer
July 27, 2005, 10:00 PM
Aaaaaaaaargh! :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :fire: :cuss:

I feel like an idiot! Well, no more :)

Where's this Academy? Can you give me the URL?

Thanks!

XD Niner
July 27, 2005, 10:03 PM
+1 on both. I've found this to be 100% reliable in both my pistols, accurate enough for USPSA competions and by far the cheapest ammo I've found.

Skofnung
July 27, 2005, 10:23 PM
I've fired half a metric ton of the stuff out of all kinds of guns, .380 to .357, 9mm to .45 acp.

I've never had a problem.

I wish we had an "Academy" here in my area. $3.86 a box can't be beat! The least I've seen ity go for was more like $5.00 a box.

rich636
July 27, 2005, 10:30 PM
The range I shoot at has a big sign saying NO BLAZER AMMO. They credit it with splitting cases, Kabooms, squibs, etc. I think what they mean is "our in-house reloader doesn't want to have to separate out the non-reloadable cases when they are dumped through the sorter". I've never heard of anything but the occasional FTE from some chambers that prefer brass.

meathammer
July 27, 2005, 10:44 PM
I think what they mean is "our in-house reloader doesn't want to have to separate out the non-reloadable cases when they are dumped through the sorter".

Bingo!

Don't have this problem at the range I go to though. Blazers are decent, cheap ammo. I like the Blazer brass even more (usually a dollar or so more for the brass.)

I shoot a lot of Blazer through my two SA 1911s and my Beretta 96 - no problems.

--meathammer

Souris
July 27, 2005, 11:09 PM
For my Glock 19 and my FEG P9 (BHP copy in DA) I shoot blazer AL just about exclusivley. I have never experienced a problem with th ammunition and at $84.00 a case out the door at Academy I can't beat it. I alos don't have to chase my brass!

In my Kimber 45 I shoot my reloads 'cause blazer is ~$9.50 a box for .45 :(

Roadwild17
July 28, 2005, 12:12 AM
I shot blazer almost excusably out of my G17 with no problems, cheaper then Winchester white box and just as good!

Billy Sparks
July 28, 2005, 07:25 AM
I have lost count of how much 9mm and .45 ACP alum. blazer I have bought and ran through my guns. The only problem I have had was about 7 years ago when I got hold of a batch with bad primers. Since then very littel problems.

Zach S
July 28, 2005, 08:59 AM
I've been though a lot of .45 auto, my Thompson doesn't get along with the aluminum cases, but its worked great in my all of my handguns.

Never fired 9mm.

ETA: The blazer brass runs great in my thompson.

HankB
July 28, 2005, 09:00 AM
Blazer 9mm ammo is fine for plinking - it works OK in my BHPs, my Glocks, and my Beretta Elite. The $3.86/box price from the local Academy Sporting Goods is hard to beat. I think what they mean is "our in-house reloader doesn't want to have to separate out the non-reloadable cases when they are dumped through the sorter". Exactly.

I once shot regularly at a range that instituted an "all brass that hits the floor is ours" policy, right about the time they started reloading "range ammo" on-site. (At the time, they had several Star reloaders set up.)

This was before Blazer ammo came on the market. I took to dropping Berdan primed cases on the range in silent protest. :evil:

After a month or two, they put up a sign that said "No Armor Piercing, Steel Case, Tracer, or Berdan Primed Ammo To Be Fired On Range"

OK . . . I didn't actually shoot the Berdan primed stuff here . . . but some fired cases fell out of my pocket from time to time. :evil:

45crittergitter
July 28, 2005, 09:11 PM
If I bought/made the ammo and fired it, the cases are MINE and the signs/rules be damned!! :fire:

crt360
July 28, 2005, 11:40 PM
I've shot a lot of it in .45 ACP and .40 SW with no problems. I actually prefer it to most other practice ammo. The only thing unusual I've noticed about it is the erratic ejection. While most brass will land in a little pile, the aluminum goes all over the place.

rich636
July 28, 2005, 11:49 PM
"OK . . . I didn't actually shoot the Berdan primed stuff here . . . but some fired cases fell out of my pocket from time to time. "

Hahaha Awesome :D

stevelyn
July 29, 2005, 02:39 AM
We use Blazer as training ammo almost exclusively. It's functioned fine in all our Glocks and I also shoot in my BHP without problems if I can't get Wolf.

stealthmode
July 29, 2005, 05:14 AM
where is academy????????

HankB
July 29, 2005, 08:55 AM
where is academy????????

You can find a link to store locations here: http://www.academy.com/

Berg01
July 29, 2005, 09:49 AM
I shoot the 9mm, 40 S&W and 45ACP regular Blazer and Blazer Brass, and I think its all good stuff!

CAS700850
July 29, 2005, 10:07 AM
Been shooting it for years. Early on (early 1990's), I did have a case split or two using some .38 rounds, but have not experienced it again. Use the 9mm all the time, unless I get a better deal on something else.

Walt Sherrill
July 29, 2005, 11:20 AM
I've been shooting it for years, too.

About five years ago, CCI seemed to be having some real Quality Control issues -- it was range ammo where I shoot. I had 5 squibs in one lot of ammo. Scared the crap out of me. I laid off for a year or two.

Now, its about all I shoot -- because its fairly hot, fairly clean, very accurate, and very inexpensive. I get it from Natchez Shooter's Supply for under $5, before shipping.

(I also shoot Georgia Arms reloads, too, when I think to order it -- about the same price and maybe even better ammo.)

BluesBear
July 30, 2005, 01:46 AM
Never had a problem with the several thousand rounds of aluminium cased Blazer I've fired.

The semi-auto Thompson at my local range loves it.

Walt Sherrill
July 30, 2005, 08:37 AM
Except for a period, some years ago (Billy Sparks and I both mentioned it), the only problem I've had with CCI is in revolvers. The bases of the cartridge were too wide for several of my S&W revolvers; the hand that advances the cylinder would catch on the rim, rather than the hand. (But those were NOT 9mm or .45 <grin>) Don't know if this is still a problem or not, as I no longer have any S&W revolvers.

FSBS3
July 30, 2005, 11:11 AM
Gentleman and ladies. Does any one shoot the Blazer 9MM in there P-7. As earlier posted $3.86 at Academy is to good to pass up but never shot it in the P-7. After not shooting it for a year need some serious practice before qualification and since I'm cheap this is a good avenue.

thanks ken

albanian
July 30, 2005, 01:10 PM
"Now, its about all I shoot -- because its fairly hot, fairly clean, very accurate, and very inexpensive. I get it from Natchez Shooter's Supply for under $5, before shipping."

I have to agree with that. That is where I tend to buy my Blazer 9mm as well. It is cheaper at Natchez even after shipping than buying Wolf at the gun show! Wolf is garbage in 9mm but Blazer is pretty decent.

The only problems I have had with the Blazer ammo is that some guns tend to FTE with the aluminum cases. My Kahr K-9 and BHP both had problems until I polished the chamber on the Kahr and then it fed fine. I like the ammo because it tells me if the gun is likely to be reliable, if it feeds Blazer 100%, I know I can trust it. If it FTE with Blazer, I polish the chamber. If that doesn't work, I don't know what to do since it has always worked. The only other problem is with the LRN .38spl ammo. It is such a soft lead that it leads the bbls of my revovlers pretty fast.

I have found a solution to this but that is another story.

Gopher
July 31, 2005, 03:43 PM
I've shot a ton of it ove the years in .357, 9mm and 45acp. No trouble at all with the revolver stuff and just an occasional stovepipe with the 9mm and.45. Everything I've shot the 9mm stuff in just ate it up. My Glock 30 however doesn't like it at all.

incursion
July 31, 2005, 05:44 PM
I've shot thousands of rounds of Blazer through my P7 PSP and my P7M8 without any problems.

FSBS3
August 1, 2005, 01:21 AM
Thanks incursion, was not sure with the fluted chamber if it made any diffrence. Read to burn a few hundred in a month when I get back.

If you enjoyed reading about "CCI Blazer Aluminum Ammo 9mm and 45acp" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!