People are on edge ...

PDA

Alan Fud
March 23, 2003, 12:00 AM
Just an observation ...

Took the wife and little one to the movies to see Piglet's Big Movie (http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/piglet/) and afterwards we went to grab something to eat at the foodcourt in the mall (http://www.browardmall.com/). As we were eating, we heard a loud bang which I instantly recognized as a balloon popping. However, a significantly number of people there started screaming "Oh no!", "He's got a gun!", "Run!", "It's a terrorist attack!", etc.

Looking around some people were on their feet and I even saw one group of people under the table. Maybe it's because I was armed that I wasn't afraid or maybe because, being a shooter, I know what gunfire sounds like and instantly assumed that it was nothing more than a balloon.

... I didn't realize this before but it seems that people are really on edge.

http://fud-files.netfirms.com/image/port2-jj.jpg (http://www.FamilyFriendsFirearms.com/) » www.FamilyFriendsFirearms.com (http://www.FamilyFriendsFirearms.com) «
Alligator Al: Share What You Know & Learn What You Don't.

If you enjoyed reading about "People are on edge ..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DMK
March 23, 2003, 12:10 AM
Maybe it's because I was armed that I wasn't afraid or maybe because, being a shooter, I know what gunfire sounds like Certainly the latter, no? Having a gun doesn't make you bullet proof.

You must live in a metro area. I just can't picture anybody around here even flinching for something like that.

Tim Currie
March 23, 2003, 12:12 AM
Thats hilarious.... thanks. :D

coonan357
March 23, 2003, 01:13 AM
thosse damn ballon sales loopholes !!!! alan was it a hicap ballon ?? or one of those damn birthdayballons?

Blackhawk
March 23, 2003, 02:36 AM
Even blissninnies need firearms familiarization so they can recognize the difference between the pop of a balloon and a gunshot. They might hurt themselves crawling around on the floor. :rolleyes:

Pendragon
March 23, 2003, 04:02 AM
I have a friend whos room mate was shooting a PAINT BALL GUN in the back yard and the neighbor called the cops and said someone was firing a gun wildly.

They had some cops show up and grill them - then they had a good laugh - but how do you think a paintball gun is a real gun?

Ryder
March 23, 2003, 04:26 AM
I passed some old farmer on the way to work tonight. He caught up with me at the gas station and proceded to tongue lash me a good one.

Do ya know that what's wrong with this country today? Everyone is in a hurry to get gas! Yup, according to him I am the reason we are at war. :D

voilsb
March 23, 2003, 04:59 AM
hahaha! a balloon doesn't even sound remotely like movie guns, much less real ones (especially if it's fired indoors ... loud).

a muffler popping is a lot more like a gunshot, but you still don't have the crack of a gunshot to go along with it.

well, at least they're not watching too much TV [:D]

Alan Fud
March 23, 2003, 05:51 AM
" ... I have a friend whos room mate was shooting a PAINT BALL GUN in the back yard and the neighbor called the cops and said someone was firing a gun wildly ... "

Not to take this off topic, but hey, I started this thread :D, does anyone know if I can fire my CO2 pellet gun (put Mountain Dew cans alone the side of the house so if I miss, they hit the wall of the house and are not in danger of hitting anyone else) in my backyard or would that be illegal?

TonyB
March 23, 2003, 08:23 AM
I'd say if you are in the city,but have good neighbors,you'd probably be ok.But if your neighbors are a-holes and complain you may have some cops showup.
If you live in the country,go for it.Where I live I shoot REAL guns in my yard.Only had the police show up once...and they said I was OK because I was shooting safely.
To be sure call your local sherriff and ask.:D

TarpleyG
March 23, 2003, 08:34 AM
Hmmm. Broward Sheriffs Deps aren't usually the friendliest bunch around. If you know your neighbors well enough, tell them that you will ocassionally practice with a "BB" gun in your yard. As long as a passer-by doesn't see you, you should be okay. Otherwise, buy an airsoft and stay inside.

It's sad to me that I have to be "ashamed" of owning guns. Anyone else feel that way?

GT

Snowdog
March 23, 2003, 08:37 AM
I just can't picture anybody around here even flinching for something like that.

I was going to say the same thing, but then I saw you live in the same area I do.
Cars backfiring, firecrackers, etc... folks just casually turn to see who's truck is in need of a tune-up.

Bainx
March 23, 2003, 10:17 AM
Perhaps you should change the thread title to "Sheeple Are On Edge". ;)

Mylhouse
March 23, 2003, 10:46 AM
I'm sorry, but this story reeks of BS to me.:rolleyes:

Alan Fud
March 23, 2003, 12:59 PM
I guess you don't remember "FUD" from TFL ... Yesterday at around 6/6:30 in the food court of the Broward mall.

Mylhouse
March 23, 2003, 01:23 PM
Of course I remember FUD from TFL. I also think some of your gator stories were BS. Hope you don't take offense...it's just my opinion afterall.

beckrodgers
March 23, 2003, 01:23 PM
What is bs to whoever stated or ask. People are on edge no doubt about it. I see it every day,specialy around the hospital where Beck works ,so are most at the church,our co is located near the intl airport well , I dont like crowds anyway and have seen all manner of reactions to all kinds of noise&scenery. Thanks .Bobby

HadEmAll
March 23, 2003, 10:38 PM
Mylhouse,
You had the guts to say what I was thinking. My hat's off to you.

Alan Fud
March 23, 2003, 11:21 PM
You are obviously free to believe whatever you wish; including that the world is still flat, if you so desire.

Quartus
March 23, 2003, 11:29 PM
would that be illegal?

Many jurisdictions consider a pellet or BB gun to be a "firearm", and would treat you just the same for firing one as if you had fired a .44 mag.

synoptic
March 23, 2003, 11:30 PM
Since BB guns aren't defined as firearms, there shouldn't be a problem with you shooting it in your yard unless your city has actually specified that an air powered rifle can't be discharged in the city limits, but I highly doubt they have.

synoptic
March 23, 2003, 11:43 PM
Florida definition of a firearm:
6) "Firearm" means any weapon (including a starter gun) which will, is designed to, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive;

Plantation code of ordinances didn't seem to mention firearms whatsoever, but the county may have provisions regarding the definition of a firearm and the discharging of one as well.

hansolo
March 23, 2003, 11:52 PM
Some people still think the world's flat

Alan Fud

-------------------------------------

Oh, sure! And I suppose you're going to tell me it's ROUND? Wouldn't all the alligators fall off?

P.S. I'm not privy to the alligator stories/I just found this "mini-flame" amusing:neener:

Alan Fud
March 24, 2003, 12:06 AM
There was ONE alligator story. I have nothing to prove one way or the other... those that want to verify it for themselves, can contact the animal control officiers that came out and obtain a copy of the report that was filed.

Ala Dan
March 24, 2003, 12:21 AM
Greeting's Again FUD, My Ole' Bud-

Yes sir, seems to be the "NOW" thing to do! Just
this past week, we found a loaded BRYCO 9m/m stuffed
in a partially full trash can, at a major medical facility here
in the good ole' Bombingham, AL area. Stoked with
115 grain W-W "Silvertip's" this weapon could have been
used to "take out" a vast amount of person's from very
close range!

In tracing the weapon's SN, it turned out to belong to an
employee of this facility. Question is, What was he going
to do with this weapon? Take out a doctor, patient, or
security personel (me); or was he going to do himself in!
Needless to say, the firearm was turned over to the local
PD; and the subject was FIRED by our employer,
as NO WEAPONS are allowed on the campus, EXCEPT
for security personel!

SECURITY, CUSTODY, & CONTROL are our main
objectives. We are a major research facility; and have
to adhere to very strict rules!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

pax
March 24, 2003, 10:22 AM
From the forum rules, 4.) Spamming, trolling, flaming, and personal attacks are prohibited. You can disagree with other members, even vehemently, but it must be done in a well-mannered form. Attack the argument, not the arguer.
You guys want to flame each other, take it to PM or email. The rest of us don't want to hear it.

pax

Perhaps the meek WILL inherit the earth, but they'll do it in very small plots ... about six feet by three. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Coronach
March 24, 2003, 02:12 PM
What she said.

Mike

raz-0
March 24, 2003, 03:10 PM
personally, I'd be looking for the handfull of bored teenagers with bad taste that need a smack upside the ehad for popping a balloon in a food court and trying to create a panic yelling stupid stuff.

But maybe that's just my take on the whole situation.

HadEmAll
March 28, 2003, 12:33 AM
So is this okay?:rolleyes: The icon was provided as available for replies.

Mylhouse
March 28, 2003, 01:22 AM
:D

Alan Fud
March 28, 2003, 02:33 AM
http://www.familyfriendsfirearms.com/vb/images/smilies/tippy-.gif

jimbo
March 28, 2003, 03:41 AM
Most folks don't know what gunfire sounds like out in the open. The expect it to sound like the movies, which you all know it does not.

If you enjoyed reading about "People are on edge ..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!