Man shoots dog with suppressed pistol

PDA

CentralTexas
July 29, 2005, 04:09 PM
This happened just out side of Austin, really hope he get's the max.
CT

Police investigate Pflugerville dog shooting

12:14 PM CDT on Thursday, July 28, 2005
By KEVIN PETERS / KVUE News

Homeowners in one Pflugerville neighborhood are outraged after a nearby
homeowner allegedly shot and killed a neighborhood dog while it sat
inside its backyard.

Investigators say the dog was shot once in the neck with a .22 caliber
pistol, and now the dog's owner says she wants justice.

When Melissa Ortiz arrived home on July 15, the first thing she did was
check on her 5-year-old dog, Orion, chained in the back yard.
"As I opened the back blinds to my door, I was face to face with a man
that yelled at me to get out of my house," she said.

Ortiz says Norris Cole proceeded to tell her a story of how he chased a
robber into her backyard. After she called police, she says the truth
came out.

"Found out that it was him that shot my dog after finding the gun on
him," Ortiz said.
Investigators say it was a .22 caliber pistol.

Cole had apparently placed the border collie-lab mix in trash bags and
had already carried him out to his truck when the story unfolded.

"I was very upset," Ortiz said. "I really miss him a lot. It's not the
same without him."

After questioning, deputies say Cole said that he was tired of the dog
constantly barking.
Just on the other side of Ortiz's fence is the Plantation House, an
upscale home rented out year round to host private weddings.
It's also the home of Cole, who valued peace and quiet for his family's
business.

Cole's attorney, Jamie Balagia, issued a statement saying "Norris Cole
deeply regrets the mistake he made. The action taken is not who he is.
He is cooperating with law enforcement and is getting the counseling
that is needed."

Many neighbors who live on the Pflugerville street say they are
frightened.

"We don't come out here anymore because we don't feel safe. It's bad,"
Ortiz said. "If we go outside we go in the front yard."

KVUE's report
Cole faces one count of animal cruelty, a state jail felony, and
criminal trespassing.

His attorney says he's received dozens of e-mails and phone calls
threatening his family.
He hopes those come to an end.

Meanwhile, ATF investigators said Cole had some sort of silencer or
flash suppressor on the gun, which could be illegal.

http://www.kvue.com/news/top/stories/072705cccakvuedogshot.17fd14c9.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Man shoots dog with suppressed pistol" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
45R
July 29, 2005, 04:12 PM
What a jerk! :fire:

308win
July 29, 2005, 04:19 PM
A person in need of a beating. :fire:

Cesiumsponge
July 29, 2005, 04:23 PM
Seems like you hear about these kinds of stories now and then. Usually it's more covert and they poison your pet.

I can understand the fustration of having a noisy dog as a neighbor (or even a noisy neighbor) but shooting someone or a pet is NOT a solution. He deserves what he gets, and then some. It's too bad pets are viewed only as property. Some people form emotional bonds with animals that are equal to those with human companions.

Polishrifleman
July 29, 2005, 04:29 PM
Our dog was barking at a telephone line worker up the pole (not quite an ordinary situation), the neighbors called animal control about the barking. Animal control came out and gave us a warning and said next time they would cite us $150 :eek: . We were at home during the session and went and explained the problem with the phone guy and the dog to all of our neighbors (since animal control could not disclose the upset party) and apologized for the noise. Hopefully they will come over first next time.

Dogs bark, if it is uncontrolled and the authorities are notified and all parties do there part to take care of the situation there is no reason or justification for killing with a surpressed .22 or a shotgun. If it continues uncontrolled then the authorities need to do their part and the owners should be questioned about their ability to be a dog owner.

thorn726
July 29, 2005, 04:29 PM
yeah what a jerk- totally over the top.

i wonder if he even tried calling animal control first???

i can understand being annoyed, but usually there are regulations- the law would make the lady do something much more reasonable.

Ukraine Train
July 29, 2005, 04:35 PM
"Flash suppresor" eh? Sounds like a P22 with a muzzle brake.

Sindawe
July 29, 2005, 04:49 PM
for this :cuss: Chain HIM in his back yard, shoot him in the neck with the same pistol, then tell him that help will be along shortly while leaving him to bleed out and die.

Topgun
July 29, 2005, 04:50 PM
No reason to shoot a barking yappy dog owned by inconsiderate clueless neighbors. There are much quieter ways.

:D

torpid
July 29, 2005, 04:54 PM
Too bad dogs can't CCW in Pflugerville.

:(

DWS1117
July 29, 2005, 04:58 PM
Way over the top. This certainly wasn't the solution to a noise problem. He misused the wrong tool for the job.

Hopefully gunowners won't be painted with same broad brush when viewing the actions of this misguided person.

Suppressed or unsuppressed pistol doesn't matter. How much noise he made committing his deed shouldn't even be an issue.

elric
July 29, 2005, 05:00 PM
Hmmm, I drive past there on my way to/from work every day.

Doesn't make Norris sound like the friendly family guy he makes himself out to be on his "about us" page for The Plantation House.

They do say they go out of their way to keep the place in perfect shape and do what it takes to have a perfect wedding ... apparently that includes shooting the neighbor's noisy dogs :scrutiny:

http://www.plantationhouse.us/about.htm

Legionnaire
July 29, 2005, 05:01 PM
"Norris Cole deeply regrets the mistake he made. The action taken is not who he is." I hate this crap. Mistake nothing! He'd have never considered it "a mistake" if he hadn't gotten caught! The action taken is exactly who he is.

What ever happened to the notion of remorse and apology ... for what one did to someone else, not the consequences it generated for the idiot? When's the last time you heard someone say: "I'm really sorry. I know what I did was wrong, and I'm sorry that it hurt you. Please forgive me."

Boats
July 29, 2005, 05:14 PM
Some commando job there sport. :rolleyes:

Pilot
July 29, 2005, 05:26 PM
Dog? Never.

Now if it were a cat. :)

Chipperman
July 29, 2005, 05:34 PM
"It's too bad pets are viewed only as property."

Be very careful what you wish for.

A lot of states are enacting laws which give pets certain status above property. Some are going so far as to give them rights. Ambulance chasing lawyers are salivating at the prospects of suing for milions of dollars over the "wrongful death" of Fluffy.

CentralTexas
July 29, 2005, 05:46 PM
I hope you were joking when you wrote- "No reason to shoot a barking yappy dog owned by inconsiderate clueless neighbors. There are much quieter ways."

Dog poisoners and their ilk scare me, I don't understand how people can be that cold. I also think it's an easy transition to killing people that cut them off in traffic or throw baseballs by accident over their fence.
CT

Topgun
July 29, 2005, 10:53 PM
Nope. Never poisoned a dog. Couldn't do it. But I have....NO ....sympathy for the inconsiderate m--------ers who allow dogs to bark at NOTHING.

They do not deserve ANY respect or consideration. I...have...called animal control when SPEAKING TO the moronic ape turned sour. He "seemed" reasonable and even corrected the problem...FOR A WHILE. Next time I spoke to him, he went ballistic and started making threats.

Animal control gave him some options. Shut the mutt up, pay a fine, or face a hearing to lose the dog.

Barking dogs are a reflection of their idiot owners. They deserve neither dogs nor pity.

My "quiet enjoyment of my property" is a ....RIGHT !!!!

Like the RKBA.

:)

Kjervin
July 29, 2005, 10:54 PM
People who see animals as akin to people usually think it is a short road from shooting a dog to shooting people. People who see a dog as property see a greater difference. Therefore, animal lovers see people who are cruel to animals as a threat to themselves more quickly then animal "non-lovers" (both haters and the ambivalent). Who is right, probably some of each depending upon the person involved in the cruelty to animals.

kj

Standing Wolf
July 29, 2005, 10:57 PM
After questioning, deputies say Cole said that he was tired of the dog constantly barking.

I can't tell you how tired I am of having to live with my neighbors' @#$%^&! stupid @#$%^&! loud @#$%^&! barking dogs.

jefnvk
July 29, 2005, 11:00 PM
While I certainly do not think that shooting the dog was the answer, I also don't appreciate people letting their dogs bark constantly. If you like his barking, lock him in the basement.

If it were me, I'd have talked to the party, then called animal control (which probably would have been step #1, since the lady was gone).

Topgun
July 29, 2005, 11:01 PM
Over the years, I've owned probably a dozen ....TRAINED....dogs. All good citizens and ONLY allowed to bark for reason.

Of course, some neanderthals think their barking dog is macho.
They learn very quickly from me.

And a constantly barking dog is NO security.

(And two dogs have half the intelligence of one)

Third_Rail
July 29, 2005, 11:04 PM
silencer or flash suppressor

Way to make people think suppressors and flash suppressors are the same things.

M67
July 30, 2005, 02:59 PM
It's too bad pets are viewed only as property. They are not:Cole faces one count of animal cruelty

I have a very low opinion of people who are cruel to animals. I love animals. That does not stop me from killing the occasional pet though. With no less than a suppressed pistol. But only at the request of the pet's owner. Shooting a cat in the head from contact range is not cruelty - it is a humane way of putting the animal down. No, I do not enjoy it, but sometimes it has to be done, it would be cruel not to.

Animals are animals, they are not human. Failing to make that distinction is a hallmark of eco-nazis.

The man (allegedly, unless he has already been tried and convicted) trespassed and illegally killed a dog. If found guilty, he should be punished in a way that fits the crime.

He did not commit murder.

Spreadfire Arms
July 30, 2005, 04:21 PM
well if it was a suppressor......i didn't sell it to him!

:confused:

RooK
July 30, 2005, 04:37 PM
What about those of us who live out in the sticks and don't have animal control... :scrutiny:

Ryder
July 30, 2005, 04:54 PM
A few dogs in my neighborhood have been olympic barkers. Turns out the owners can't stand them either and they disappear without any assistance from me. Nobody has patience anymore?

Yowza
July 30, 2005, 06:05 PM
Well, I think this guy was an idiot for dealing with this situation the way he did, but that woman gets no excuse from me, either. Why have a dog if you're just going to chain it up in the backyard? What else is the dog supposed to do but bark?

Rick

RocketMan
July 31, 2005, 01:32 AM
I was Best Man at my friend's wedding at The Plantation House in May, 2004. It is one very nice place, and I can understand why the owner would like to keep the environment as pleasant as possible.

That said, what he did to the neighbor's dog is just indefensible. Absolutely wrong on more levels than can be counted.
If the story is true, I hope he gets what he deserves.

Shorts
July 31, 2005, 02:51 AM
Animals are animals, they are not human.

Glad someone made that distinction. Many times owners don't, then they start associating human emotions to dog behaviors :banghead: That is not the correct way.

I CANT STAND BARKING YIPPY DOGS. Our new neighbors have two dogs that don't shut up when they are outside. All they do is bark at anything outside their fence. It's unreal. I have a dog and he is well trained. He can hang out outside and can keep himself quiet. If he barks, I check it out, then command him quiet and leave it and move on. The end. He doesn't have neuroses or behavioral prob;ems that he HAS to bark at everything. Dogs that do constantly bark at anything have problems, whether the owner wants to believe it or not.

I love animals. And I have killed my fair share, both hunting and domestic 'maintenance'. I think this guy just got so ticked off that he'd handle it himself once and for all. I can understand his fury. Was it smart? Absolutely not. He let his fury get ahead of him. Now he'll pay the consequences.

Unfortunately negligent pet owners don't ever get the message or learn how to train their dogs. They get lazy and/or are pushovers. They love and show affection and nuture junky behaviors in their dogs rather than doing the correct actions to fix it. Dogs are not humans. Their psych does not have the same processes as humans and should not be treated as such. Until dog owners understand this, they'll never train their dogs correctly and will always have a dog with one issue or another, be it major or minor.

Dog owners are not blameless, in fact their the first one I look at. I am a dog owner. If my dog has issues and problems, it's because I am failing to address them correctly. If my dog is annoying or harassing and even endangering others, it will be my full responsibility to deal with.

stevelyn
July 31, 2005, 09:32 AM
Topgun, SW, shorts,:

Couldn't agree more. There is nothing more irritating than inconsiderate, irreponsible pet owners that allow their animals to run loose, bark incesently and chase cars, bicycles, joggers, etc.
I'm one of those folks who has lived outside the jurisdictions of animal control and I've had to make more than a few dogs disappear from my property. I can't recall ever losing any sleep over it either. :fire:

However, what this guy did was at the very least reckless and shooting into a neighbor's property is absolutely indefensable. If the dog was that much of a problem he should have been calling the police and making his neighbor's life miserable through them.

dfaugh
July 31, 2005, 10:16 AM
and one who usually sides heavily with dog owners, much like I do on 2A rights....

First,the dog owner has some responsibilities...First, many dogs and especially certain breeds do not respond well to being chained up...Fencing is OK, but for some reason they don't like to be chained. Many who wouldn't bark (or bark nearly so much) will bark incessantly when chained. She then also leaves the dog unattended while she goes out.

I have 5 GSDs, and they have 1/2 acre fenced yard to run in....Sometimes they bark, at a variety of things...All are trained,so I tell them to be quiet, and that'll usually work...However, if whatever they're barking at remains they will continue to bark (usually wildlife or stray cats)...If they continue to bark I call them inside. And none of my neighbors are really all that close. I also NEVER leave them out when I go anywhere.

That said, obviosly this guy is a a$$...He should have talked to dog owner once or twice, in a decent manner, and if she didn't resolve the problem, then he should call authorities...Most jurisdictions have noise ordinances that cover "excessive barking"...As punishment they should give me him and the .22,leave us alone for an hour or so... Start at the toes and work up...slowly

CentralTexas
July 31, 2005, 11:04 AM
"Couldn't agree more. There is nothing more irritating than inconsiderate, irreponsible pet owners that allow their animals to run loose, bark incesently and chase cars, bicycles, joggers, etc."

Have you never lived around kids?? :evil:
CT

Shorts
July 31, 2005, 12:25 PM
Topgun, SW, shorts,:

I guess you missed a paragraph reading my post. Let me bold face it for you:

I love animals. And I have killed my fair share, both hunting and domestic 'maintenance'. I think this guy just got so ticked off that he'd handle it himself once and for all. I can understand his fury. Was it smart? Absolutely not. He let his fury get ahead of him. Now he'll pay the consequences.

I want to be sure you do not erroneously point me out as advocating this man's behavior. I said I understood it. I didn't say "Yeah man! Good shot!" :rolleyes:

CentralTexas
July 31, 2005, 02:18 PM
PFLUGERVILLE
Dog's killing rattles neighborhood
Residents say they were plagued by vanishing pets before man arrested in shooting of border collie.
Owner says she chained up her border collie, Orion, for safety.
By Joshunda Sanders <mailto:joshundasanders@statesman.com>
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Sunday, July 31, 2005
PFLUGERVILLE When the first pit bull went missing in May, Melissa Ortiz started to worry.
Then another neighbor's blue pit bulls disappeared. Later, a poodle and two Chihuahuas were gone. "Missing Dog" signs were posted all over the subdivision, neighbors said.
Ortiz had chained her 4-year-old border collie, Orion, to a post in her backyard. She thought he was safe.
But on July 18, she came home and said she found her neighbor, Norris Cole, 43, standing over Orion in her backyard.
Ortiz knew Cole as the owner of a wedding business behind the subdivision where she lives, the Villages of Hidden Lake. The dog was bloody, but Ortiz, said she had no time to question Cole before he yelled at her to get out.
She ran to call police.
Cole emerged from the backyard and tossed a big black bag into the bed of his pickup, according to a police affidavit.
Travis County sheriff's deputies soon arrived. As Ortiz spoke to them, she saw the bag move.
Orion lifted his head and took his last breath, she said.
"Why'd you bag my dog?" Ortiz said she asked Cole. He told her and the deputies that he'd seen a strange man who had probably killed the dog wandering in the area, according to the affidavit.
According to Ortiz, Cole said he went to her house looking for the man and found the dog dead. He'd put Orion in the bag because he didn't want her to see the dog in that condition.
When deputies searched Cole's truck, they found a .22-caliber pistol with an additional barrel that looked like a silencer, Travis County sheriff's office spokesman Roger Wade said.
Cole was arrested and charged with criminal trespassing and cruelty to animals. He was released on $4,000 bail the next day.
The case is under investigation.
In Texas, heinous cruelty to animals can be tried as a felony. The punishment is two years in jail, a $10,000 fine or both.
Cesario Cadena, an animal control officer with the Pflugerville police said the department had not investigated an unusual number of missing or dead dogs in the area this year.
Wade confirmed that Cole, in a television interview, con- fessed to shooting the dog. He told a reporter that he got tired of the dog's barking, so he went to quiet it down. Cole said that when he went to unchain the dog, Orion got aggressive, and Cole said he shot him.
Cole declined to comment for this article.
His lawyer, Jamie Balagia said, "Mr. Cole was under a tremendous amount of stress at the time and did something that goes against his reputation and his past. We've got him in counseling, and he wants to express his most sincere apologies to the whole community."
Balagia added that Cole's family had been receiving death threats and harassing e-mails since news of the case spread.
Balagia said it would be unethical for him to say whether Cole had confessed to the shooting. "We're not going to contest the case at all," he said.
Cole has lived with his family at the Plantation House, a sprawling six-bedroom, five-bathroom home, since 1993.
The Coles host weddings there, and the couple often knock on their neighbors' doors to ask them to quiet down during receptions and ceremonies, Ortiz and Anthony Mays said.
Mays, 26, who lives next door to Ortiz with his wife, Belinda, said he suspects that Cole took their 6-month-old pit bull, Alpha, in May. They had three barriers to its escape a back fence, electric fence and kennel so how could it get loose?
Residents say that Cole is out to protect his monetary interests: He has about three weddings a week, and prices on the house's Web site range from $3,000 to $4,000 per event. His neighbors say Cole may be upset that a subdivision has been built bordering what was once a lovely, quiet 5-acre oasis.
Mays and his wife have kept their new puppy, Deuce, in the house since Orion's shooting.
Toby Schroeder, lives a few doors down and says he, too, is concerned. Schroeder has been taking his Brittany spaniel, Rocky, to his girlfriend's house for days at a time since the incident.
Residents of the subdivision, Schroeder and Ortiz said, have all signed papers requiring them to keep their noise to a minimum because of the weddings.
Schroeder keeps watch over the neighborhood when he's at home, walking his dog at night.
Ortiz and her family often stay in South Austin because she's scared to be in the house. She plans to file a civil case against Cole.
Cole had not confessed to detectives, Wade said, buthe added, "All evidence points to the fact he did it."

DesertRat
July 31, 2005, 02:51 PM
This Norris Cole person appears to be a VERY dangerous individual, as he obviously planned out (and not very well) this entire scenario:

* Brought trashbags for the disposal.
* Tried to sneak into the yard while the homeowner was gone, which likely means that he was closely observing that neighbors movements / routine.
* Obtained or made a makeshift silencer for his weapon.
* Placed his automobile in a location convienient for the movement and disposal of the dog.

Nice. I think another investigation is warranted too:

Mays, 26, who lives next door to Ortiz with his wife, Belinda, said he suspects that Cole took their 6-month-old pit bull, Alpha, in May. They had three barriers to its escape a back fence, electric fence and kennel so how could it get loose?

What I just love about this whole thing:

His lawyer, Jamie Balagia said, "Mr. Cole was under a tremendous amount of stress at the time and did something that goes against his reputation and his past. We've got him in counseling, and he wants to express his most sincere apologies to the whole community."His lawyer, Jamie Balagia said, "Mr. Cole was under a tremendous amount of stress at the time and did something that goes against his reputation and his past. We've got him in counseling, and he wants to express his most sincere apologies to the whole community." :barf:

YEAH NORRIS COLE IS SORRY ALRIGHT, SORRY HE WAS CAUGHT. :cuss:

This guy is a real sick ********* and needs to be punished severely. The following would be appropriate:

Two years in prison.
5,000 hours of community service split 50/50 at transient shelter and animal shelter.
A $25,000.00 fine by the court.
Compensatory and punitive damages to the victim(s).
The felony conviction will appropriately take care of his gun ownership rights.
Two years of ongoing psychiatric counseling.

Too Many Choices!?
July 31, 2005, 03:12 PM
Then follow the advice the world would be a better place :scrutiny: ...

PS. And no I don't mean shooting them with suppressed pistols, I mean not letting them entertain themselves while locked up.

carebear
July 31, 2005, 03:15 PM
a .22-caliber pistol with an additional barrel that looked like a silencer

The "silencer issue" is still very much in doubt. There are a lot of perfectly legal things you can hang off a pistol that, by design or by accident, may look like a suppressor at first glance.

Topgun
July 31, 2005, 04:08 PM
I don't know if a Border Collie CAN be trained. Oh yeah, ta go get sheep like nobody's business and they are a PLEASURE to watch em work.
BUT....domestically....in a NEIGHBORHOOD? My WORST problem with yappin mutts was with BORDER COLLIES. Just plain DUMB! A dog just HAS to have the brains to recognize a ....NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOR. But....noooooooooooo...not the Border Collie.
Or
Australian Shepherd
Or
The ABSOLUTE most uncivilized dog ever bred: The SHELTIE !!!!

Dogmeat!

I would like to see one that is well behaved when alone...by itself...in its yard...and....QUIET! sheeeeee.............

And their slinky, cowy, slithery gait is CREEPY. No WONDER they yap constantly.

Oughtta be a Border Collie ....SEASON. (And an early one for bowhunters)

I swear, the first ..Border Collie... shootin range will be one of my DAILY visits.

:D :D :D

Shorts
July 31, 2005, 06:08 PM
We had a dogkiller in our neighborhood too. Lived two houses down. This guy was just a plain jerk. Went to our church, his wife and and daughter were nice, although couldn't get rid of his 'stink'.

Anyhow, he shot a dog or two of ours plus others in the 'hood, as well as harassed his 4wheelng neighbor (a friend of ours) AND peeped on her...but, he got what was coming to him. His calf and goat died and his dog got run over on the highway. He was pretty distraught over their deaths. But, appropriate. Then he ran into the husband of the lady he peeped at the gas station. He mouthed off, then the two duked it out in the parking lot.

308win
July 31, 2005, 07:07 PM
I swear, the first ..Border Collie... shootin range will be one of my DAILY visits.

Did your mother have any children who lived? :fire:

Topgun
July 31, 2005, 10:53 PM
Did your mother have any children who lived?

Sure she did. Did yours know which one was yer daddy?

:neener:

P95Carry
July 31, 2005, 11:06 PM
Enough already!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Man shoots dog with suppressed pistol" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!