Southwestern/Central PA clubs/ranges?

July 29, 2005, 03:45 PM
Hey all, here's my dilemma.

I recently took a job in Johnstown, PA and moved from Pittsburgh. The sportsmen's club I am a member of is north of Pittsburgh and currently a 2.5-3 hour drive...not very conducive to frequent range visits. The guy I normally shoot with lives about 1/2 hour east of Pittsburgh, so he's about 1-1.5 hours away from me. Were looking for a range/club that isn't too expensive in between the Monroeville and Johnstown areas (the more central between the two the better to equalize travel time for the both of us).

Must not be prohibitively expensive
Must be allowed to use your own ammunition
Must have a rifle range (min 100 yards, longer is better)
Must have pistol lanes (preferably somewhere to shoot anywhere from 7-10 yards out to say, 25 or more).
Must not be afraid of Evil Black Rifles or semi-auto handguns
Must be either open on a weekend or both weekend days and/or evenings after 5:30-6:00.

We'd prefer one that was kinda not too busy on the evenings or weekends if possible. My old club rarely had more than a few people on it.

So, those of you in PA around those areas, care to help a couple of shooters out?

Thanks in advance. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Southwestern/Central PA clubs/ranges?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
July 30, 2005, 12:02 PM
For close to half-way between Monroeville and Johnstown look in to the Indiana County Bow and Gun club. Last I knew the membership price was $30 for the year. Here's some contact info for it:

Indiana County Rod & Gun Club
P.O. Box 217
Shelocta, PA 15774
(724) 726-1111

You should also look in to the Hollidaysburg Sportsmens Club, while not as close to being in between both places it is a good place to shoot.

R.D.#3 Box 310
Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania 16648
(814) 695-8138

I'm also expecting some other still-in-PA board members to fill in the gaps.

July 30, 2005, 03:29 PM
Oh wow, good info man, I appreciate it. Are you/were you a member at either of those? Would be nice to see some THR folks once in a while. :)

July 30, 2005, 04:16 PM
Was never a member of any of them, by the time I had really gotten in to shooting I was in MD already. I have done a .22 pin shoot at Hollidaysburg and have an uncle who is a member at Indiana. If you watch the Rallying Point we usually have a SW PA shoot 2 times a year or so (we should do it more then that *hint hint*).

July 30, 2005, 04:39 PM
Awesome, good info, will call them and get some details. Thanks again!

October 31, 2005, 09:16 PM

After some less than stellar discoveries, I still need a range. Slight update that the closer to the Johnstown area, the better.

The sentiments in the initial post still apply, though the other shooter is less of a consideration, he'll travel all the way out here if need be.

The orignal two suggestions are still viable, just wanted some other input. After 3 months of trying to grin and bear the commute to Ambridge, PA, enough is enough for me. I need something closer to Johnstown.

I can search NRA ranges and such, but I won't have a clue what any of them are truly like, so I'm looking for some first or even second-hand advice here to help me out. Thanks again in advance.

October 31, 2005, 11:09 PM
Did you check Also call the game commission and ask if there's a state range out there, there are a bunch of state parks right around Lingonier.

October 31, 2005, 11:24 PM
I did check, gave me three listings, 2 of them already suggested to me. But even if I have the range names, the best I can hope for is that when I call they give me an accurate depiction of the scene there...which is why I'd hoped to get some intel from people of like-minded interests that have some knowledge of the areas.

FYI: I have belonged to a number of clubs, most of them were just tailored for folks who hit the range to sight-in their hunting rifles and people that shoot trap and skeet. If those were my interests, I'd be fine anywhere. It just seems that the ranges that are a good fit for someone like me (doesn't hunt, shoots evil black rifles and doesn't want to bother anyone or be bothered himself) are a rare breed these days. Having conversations all day long with a fellow shooter, even one of disimilar interests is cool, perhaps you both learn something. Having folks approach you every 5 minutes and asking to see your membership ID (even though you've been a regular member there for years) and asking what you need a FAL for or if you have a permit for those 'assault rifles' is just more than I can bear. is a reat resource, perhaps someone will be introduced to it by reading this thread, so good add! Thanks.

November 1, 2005, 12:14 AM
Wish I could help you, but I don't head out that way very often. Have you tried asking around on

November 1, 2005, 12:17 AM
Oooh, Never been there, good idea! Thanks. :)

November 1, 2005, 12:32 AM

That's a listing of PA Game Commission Ranges. Only allowed 3 rds. in a magazine or 6 in a revolver tho, if memory serves. This might be a real bad time of year to try one out, with opening day only 4 weeks off.

If you enjoyed reading about "Southwestern/Central PA clubs/ranges?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!