Dr. Sigmund Freud on weapons...

PDA

Slater
July 29, 2005, 07:30 PM
http://www.hkweaponsystems.com/cgi-bin/quote.pl?sigmund_freud

Always thought that this would make a cool billboard for California :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Dr. Sigmund Freud on weapons..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ZeroX
July 29, 2005, 07:49 PM
Yeah, that one is in a few sigs around here. :D

DonNikmare
July 29, 2005, 08:23 PM
:)

Kurush
July 29, 2005, 09:04 PM
Anyone know if the cited book is on the web anywhere? I can't find it.

Alan Fud
July 30, 2005, 10:55 AM
I would LOVE to get a poster of that -- my sister-in-law is a doctor of psychology and she hates gun ... a poster like that would really make a point :D

280PLUS
July 30, 2005, 07:44 PM
Didn't he also say something about guns being an extension of uhhh, :what:

Never mind...

:D

logical
July 30, 2005, 07:51 PM
I would LOVE to get a poster of that -- my sister-in-law is a doctor of psychology and she hates gun ... a poster like that would really make a point

Just be warned that Freud is not the hero of most psychologists.

NIGHTWATCH
July 30, 2005, 09:02 PM
Man, where have you guys been? Did this one a month ago... :neener:

http://69.6.253.242/web_pages/paternoster/banned.jpg

280PLUS
July 30, 2005, 09:11 PM
Just be warned that Freud is not the hero of most psychologists. Who is these days?

I knew one professor way back that seemed to like him a teeny bit. (I understate)

RevDisk
July 30, 2005, 10:19 PM
With all luck, hopefully Freud is burning in whatever bad place that exists in the afterlife. His 'research' on PTSD was entirely rigged to place the blame solely on the victims. He ignored all evidence and came up with the theory that the victim is to blame. Young women that were sexually abused were "hysterical" and secretly wished to have sex with their fathers. Soldiers that were "shell shocked" from the psychological traumas of war were cowards that secretly wished to have sex with their mothers.

Pure freakin rubbish that damaged countless lives for far too long. Freud should at best be remembered as a monster who sold out the lives of his patients for glory and approval of high society as well as academia. I sincerely hope he believed his 30 pieces of silver were worth the price paid in human lives.

KriegHund
July 30, 2005, 10:21 PM
An intereseting and disturbed man to be sure.

280PLUS
July 31, 2005, 05:34 AM
I always found it interesting that the two "Fathers of Psychology" were both nut jobs in their own right.

Makes you wonder...

c_yeager
July 31, 2005, 06:20 AM
With all luck, hopefully Freud is burning in whatever bad place that exists in the afterlife. His 'research' on PTSD was entirely rigged to place the blame solely on the victims.

Freud theorized much about how trauma could result in long term psychological effects, and more contemporary researchers have applied that to the study of PTSD. bear in mind that Frued was the first person to EVER stipulate that trauma could have a lasting psychological effect. Without Freud's theories there wouldnt even be room for an acceptance of things like PTSD.

He ignored all evidence and came up with the theory that the victim is to blame. Young women that were sexually abused were "hysterical" and secretly wished to have sex with their fathers.

Bear in mind that the word "hysterical" has been BADLY manged in modern interpretation. The medical definition of the word during Freuds time was "a physically manifested disorder caused by psychological disorder". If a person has physical symptoms without a physical cause that is a case of a "hysterical" dissorder, and psychological trauma resulting in symptoms associated with PTSD fits well within that definition.

The desire to "have sex with their fathers" is an oversimplification. Frued contended that children who are abused often end up becoming attracted to persons who share characteristics with their abusers. This is something that you can see every single day as people bounce from one abusive relationship to another.

Soldiers that were "shell shocked" from the psychological traumas of war were cowards that secretly wished to have sex with their mothers.

I would like to see a source for this. To my knowledge Frued never examined a single soldier during his research, and i somehow doubt that he called anyone a "coward".

280PLUS
July 31, 2005, 06:32 AM
I probably just gained more depth in Freudian theory in 2 minutes than I did in a whole semester way back when.

:D

July 31, 2005, 09:09 AM
Don't get me wrong.I,in no way,believe in scientology,but I have no use whatsoever for psychologists or psychiatrists. The ones that I have been aquainted with were all nutcases.

joab
July 31, 2005, 09:18 AM
Frued contended that children who are abused often end up becoming attracted to persons who share characteristics with their abusers. You seemed to be educated on this at least a little.

I was told (somewhere) that that was an attempt to get the original abuser to love them or to somehow work out the abuse issue with that person.

Another theory I have heard is that that is all the person thinks they are worthy of.

I was also told
"Either way stay away from that girl she can't give you nothin but trouble"

Wish I had listened

GRB
July 31, 2005, 09:35 AM
Aah yes, Freud and sex - therein he probably had a hang up, but therein he also for the first time showed to the world the extent of sexual deviation, incest and abuse that was taking place in his time. I will not get into a discussion of his theories of the mind here, too muc nasty discussion would probably enue (not instigated by me though) but I will say he did come up with some things that made lots of sense - and others that were nonsense. Then again he was an explorer in the field. No matter what you think of him thoguh, his viewpoint on fear of weapons would probably be an inappropriate (even if meant as sarcasm) slogan for gun owners.

280PLUS
July 31, 2005, 10:26 AM
but I will say he did come up with some things that made lots of sense - and others that were nonsense.

That's the exact impression I came away with from my brief introduction to Mr. Freud. Mr Jung as well. I feel like I should delve into them a little more but there's so much other stuff I have to do... :cuss:

bearmgc
July 31, 2005, 10:43 AM
Freud's theories were groundbreaking in some cases, and a 180 degrees out in others. One thing laudable is that he spent much more time with his patients than psychologists and psychiatrists do today. They make obscenely more money than Freud ever did. Talk about a true business profession...

jkswiss
July 31, 2005, 05:48 PM
I have no use whatsoever for psychologists or psychiatrists. The ones that I have been aquainted with were all nutcases.

I used to think the same thing, till this big burly Marine told my class otherwise. He said that he used to think that it was a bunch of bogus, fruity stuff.
He later ended up killing some people in the line of duty and it really really messed him up. The fruity psychiatrist made a world of difference for him, and he could not be more thankful to them.

DT Guy
July 31, 2005, 05:54 PM
Breaking ground in a science usually doen't involve coming up with theories that will remain relevant as the science evolves.

To Freud's credit, many of his continue to impact, if not define, the debate to this day. Was some of it wrong? Assuredly.

But the first person to creep down into the basement and strike a match seldom gets as good a view as the people who go down once electricity has been installed....

Larry

No_Brakes23
July 31, 2005, 11:26 PM
Pure freakin rubbish that damaged countless lives for far too long. Oh yeah, to be sure, Freud's head was firmly ensconced within his rectum.

But even a clock that is broken can be right twice a day.

The quote is worthwhile, and appropriate to bring up for Fraudfans.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dr. Sigmund Freud on weapons..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!