The Great Raid movie - to be released 8/12/05

PDA

GunGoBoom
July 29, 2005, 11:34 PM
sounds good.

http://www.miramax.com/thegreatraid/

If you enjoyed reading about "The Great Raid movie - to be released 8/12/05" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ACP230
July 30, 2005, 12:46 AM
My late mom was an Army nurse in the Phillipines during World War II.
After the raid, she took care of men who were rescued from the prison camp by the Rangers.
I gave her the book the movie is based on, Ghost Soldiers by Hampton Sides, to read about six months before she died.
She said it was hard for her to read, but she was glad she'd read it.
I plan to see the movie.

Justin
July 30, 2005, 12:47 AM
Any info on the historical event it's based on?

jeff-10
July 30, 2005, 12:53 AM
Any info on the historical event it's based on?

One of the most successful use of Army Rangers in the history of the US military. Colonel Mucci should have been given the Medal of Honor but I believe he personally executed some of his men for sleeping on guard duty or something so he was giving the DSC instead. They killed like 500 Japanese and only lost a handful of men.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/bataan/peopleevents/p_mucci.html

Remander
July 30, 2005, 01:13 AM
As noted above, the movie seems to be based on the same story recounted so well in Ghost Soldiers, by Hampton Sides.

Ghost Soldiers is a fantastic book! It alternates chapters discussing the plight of the soldiers in the Bataan death march and the POW camp v. the American soldiers and Phillipino guerrillas who plannned and then pulled off an amazing and death-defying rescue of the survivors.

It is one of the best books I have read about WWII in the Pacific.

I hope the movie does the soldiers justice. There was a decent History Channel piece on the rescue a while back, but the book is so much better and more richly detailed. I highly recommend "Ghost Soldiers" and await the movie.

CentralTexas
July 30, 2005, 01:38 AM
Not long after it came out and I read Ghost Soldiers, I heard Tom Cruise had bought the film rights. Awesome book, sure they can turn it into an Alamo remake and we can feel sorry for the enemy troops for the medical experiments, torture and beheading competitions since we buy cars and stereos from them now. Let's hope they try to stick to history or the book etc.
CT

patent
July 30, 2005, 02:22 AM
Good book, hope the movie is as good. I'll get it if so.

patent

If you enjoyed reading about "The Great Raid movie - to be released 8/12/05" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!