Descendants of Civil War Veterans

PDA

NIGHTWATCH
July 30, 2005, 10:40 AM
Is there anybody here who is a descendant of a civil war veteran? Do you have pictures? Can you tell us a little about them and what arms they may have past down?

Thanks ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Descendants of Civil War Veterans" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Barbara
July 30, 2005, 11:02 AM
http://droitsweb.com/genealogy/Charles-Almeda-Gavin1894-800wide.jpg

This is one of them, Charles Collins Gavin, joined up in Butler County, Ohio, and eventually made his way to Vermilion County, Illinois.

The other was Isaac Wilson Day, born in Coshocton County, Ohio, and then moved to Vermilion County, Illinois after the war. His brother died in Libby Prison, according to his father's obituary.

Dunno what either of them shot, though, sorry.

This story mentions Wilson's uncle Barney, who was an indian scout and crack shot and wounded at Beecher Island:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~nalakota/wotw/military/forsyth_wotw022936.htm
Barney, sadly, died in a gun battle in Grand County, Colorado July 4, 1883.

Another brother, Lew, was killed by the Nez Perce in Idaho.
Another brother, Benjamin also served in the War, and ended up serving as the president of the Washington Territory Senate.

Various other cousins served and/or died in the Civil War. None of them left me any guns, though, darn it.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
July 30, 2005, 11:46 AM
My great-great grandfather was 2nd. Lt. in a Texas cavalry unit (dismounted). I have a photo of him later in life, but all earlier likenesses of him were destroyed in a fire about 9 years ago. The resemblance is eerie. He's heavier than I am, but the face is the same. The photograph was taken of him at about age 55 to 60. I'm 46, and everyone who has seen it remarks on how uncanny it is. My father and I were both named for him. I have information that a firearm he carried during the war is in posession of one of my very distant cousins in Oklahoma. I assume it is likely a shotgun as that was one of the most common arms that (local) dismounted cavalry used at the time. My research indicates that they mostly fought with personal weapons. I plan to track down the firearm and negotiate for its purchase.

His unit (Co. F, 19th Texas Cavalry, D.) was organized in Cherokee County, Texas in 1861 and was later combined with 3 other units after Arkansas Post.
2nd. Lt. was an elected position in Texas cavalry units. The junior officers were elected by the men. It was not uncommon for some Texas cavalry units to ride to a battle area, dismount, and fight as infantry unless the horses were sent home during a campaign. He was present at Arkansas Post and at Mansfield, Louisiana during the Red River campaign. Evidence suggests a link to his presence at the Chicamauga campaign as well.

He was born in eastern Tennessee around Tracy City in 1834, moved to east Texas with his brother and other family members in 1855, and died in 1906. I have copies of some of his papers and his will.

Regards,
Rabbit.

Barbara
July 30, 2005, 12:04 PM
If anyone would like help digging into this stuff, I'm pretty good.

Vern Humphrey
July 30, 2005, 12:41 PM
My great-grandfather, William W. Humphrey, served as a private in Co. F, 148th Reg. Illinois Infantry. He enrolled the 11 day of Feb. 1865, to serve one year. Discharged the 5th day of Sept. 1865, by reason of muster out of company.

My Mother's Grandfather, John Francis Clooney, was drafted (he was working as a shipyard carpenter, and came to Texas. He settled in Lake Charles, Louisiana, and was quite prominent there. When he died, his friends, all Confederate veterans, thought his wartime service should be honored, but thought that some thoughtless person might vandalize a Union Army tombstone. So he has a Confederate veteran's headstone.

Mannlicher
July 30, 2005, 01:22 PM
On my Mother's side, my great grandfather, and his 9 brothers all served with Robert E. Lee. On my Dad's side, my great grandfather was with Pierre Beauregard's South Carolina Militia, when they took Fort Sumter.
My Cousin still has my Great Grandfather's sword, his Merwn Hulbert revolver, and his British rifle.

WT
July 30, 2005, 01:44 PM
One relative served with Co. H., 1st Alabama Cav (US). Sort of Force Recon for General Sherman.

He didn't pass down any weapons but the silver service he confiscated as contraband from a Georgia plantation is in my sister's possession.

Bacon
July 30, 2005, 01:52 PM
My Great-Grandfather was a volunteer in the 58th Alabama Infantry. Served in Tennessee at battles of Cickamauga, Lookout Mountain, and Missionary Ridge. Captured at Missionary Ridge and sent to Rock Island Prison for 16 months. Survived Rock Island Prison and was released after the war. My Father says he was never the same after the experience in prison.

He had 3 brothers that all served in Alabama units. One was killed at Okolona, Mississippi.

There is also a bunch from Tennessee that served. But I think that is enough for now.

Fred Fuller
July 30, 2005, 02:00 PM
I am descended from several veterans of the Late War (seven of my eight great great grandfathers), all of them former Confederates. I have said before that my ancestors seem to have been the only privates in the entire Confederacy, as everyone else's ancestors are rported to have been at least captains 8^).

None of them left very much at all, being relatively poor farmers- in working on my genealogy I have copied several of their wills. Also very useful were Confederate pension records- note that Confederate pensioners were paid by the states which they served, and the states still maintain the records. The pension applications are often treasuries of useful information.

None of my wartime ancestors left any weapons behind that are known to me presently. No known pictures of any of them have survived either. As I said, they were all farmers without a lot of money to spare. As one example, the 1850 census for Perry County, AL lists the family of then 16-year-old Benjamin Franklin Garrison as having property worth $400. ( http://www.rootsweb.com/~cenfiles/al/perry/1850/pg0349b.txt )

He served in Co. K, 8th Alabama Infantry ( http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Lair/3680/cw/cw-al.html ), was wounded and discharged early in the war and returned home. He is listed in the census of surviving veterans taken in 1907 ( http://www.rootsweb.com/~alperry/a-l-1907.htm ).

My grandfather knew him as a child, and described him to me as a gentle man, crippled in one arm due to his wound.

Genealogy is an entertaining pursuit, made much easier by resources available on the web- thirty years ago when i was doing all this for the first time it required mostly locating and then traveling to see the original paper records, save for censuses on microfilm.

lpl/nc

Hobie
July 30, 2005, 02:29 PM
2, no pics available for posting (at the moment). 9th NY Heavy Artillery and 134th NY Infantry. Father and son, both wounded, both disabled, both lived into the 20th Century (1909 and 1928 respectively). The son was at Lookout Mountain... ;) and Gettysburg (where he was wounded on July 1 at the brickyard).

I am the secretary for the 116th Infantry Regiment "The Stonewall Brigade" Foundation (http://www.116thinfantryregiment.org) and get quite a few research requests. You can find me e-mail addy for that business on the web site.

enfield
July 30, 2005, 02:35 PM
Not a descendant of anyone in that particular war, but my great uncle won the Medal of Honor at a little skirmish called Carter's Farm in Virginia. He named his son (my first cousin, once removed) General Grant. Cool, huh?

There have been a LOT of soldiers in my family, dating back to the French & Indian war. Seems to be the family trade - 4 brothers and myself are vets - 3 Army and 2 Navy.

cxm
July 30, 2005, 02:54 PM
My great-grandfather and great-great grandfather served in the War of Northern Agression.

Great grandfather mustered into the 8th Mississippi in Jackson. Fought at Corinth, Pittsburg Landing, Oxford, Vicksburg(caputred), Chickamauga Creek and Kennesaw Mountain. He ended the war in North Carolina with the Army of Tennessee under Uncle Joe. He started as a private and ended the war as the 1st. Sergent.

I still have his Tower Musket dated 1863 (assume it was acquired after capture at Vicksburg.)

Great-great grandfather was a surgeon in the 1st. Mississippi, and was noted for his speed in removing limbs.. a talent of some little value back then.

FWIW

Chuck

sumpnz
July 30, 2005, 03:10 PM
I don't know if they are in fact relatives, but what with the surname Upson being fairly uncommon I imagine there's a link somewhere. In the Ken Burns Civil War Documentary they used a couple exerpts from the diary of Theodore F Upson (one from before he joined up/was drafted, and one from his combat journal), and Google turns up a Capt Andrew Upson of the 20th Connecticut Volunteers (he was captured by W.S. Bledsoe of the 4th Tennessee Cavalry in early 1864).

On a side note, the first Upson in America was Thomas Upson VI who arrived in 1621, and my great^8 grandfather was William White, 11th signer of the Mayflower pact. Sometime in the 17th or 18th century the Upson family in America line split with 2 brothers named Peregrine and Resolved. I'm decended from the Resolved line.

myrockfight
July 30, 2005, 03:33 PM
Yes. I know I do. My Aunt has all the information. As well as the information regarding to ancestors who served in the Revolutionary War. I have been meaning to catch up on all that stuff with her, but I have only seen her once in the past year and a half.

Good thread though. Now I am going to have to collect all the information for sure!! :D

I forgot to add an interesting tidbit. One of my friends I met at Western Kentucky University is Robert E. Lee's great-great-granddaughter. I always thought that was the coolest thing, but I never get the opportunity to bring it up!

4v50 Gary
July 30, 2005, 03:36 PM
Descendents of soldiers who served the Union are eligible for membership in the SUV, Sons of Union Veterans.

Descendents of soldiers who served the Confederacy are eligible for membership in the SCV, Sons of Confederate Veterans.

Descendents who can trace ancestors to veterans on both sides may join both the SUV and SCV and are jokingly called SOBs, Sons of Both. :o

Folks like myself who have no ancestors who fought in the war are SONs, Sons of neither. O.K., I just made this one up. :neener:

4v50 Gary
July 30, 2005, 03:39 PM
BTW, for those of you who have ancestors who served the Union, you may be able to get a reprint of the regimental history. Go to Higginson Books (http://www.higginsonbooks.com) Look for the state and regiment #. They can be pricey, but often times they're the only game in town. I've three shelves filled with their books and more on the way. They also have a very small selection of Corn-fed books.

If you can't make it to the National Archives, you can contact them and ask them to dig out the Service Record (if available) or Pension file (if an application was filed). I use a private researcher as she's faster. Rollcallresearch@aol.com

thorn726
July 30, 2005, 04:06 PM
interesting stuff guys and -
I still have his Tower Musket dated 1863 (assume it was acquired after capture at Vicksburg.)

wow, what a cool piece of history.

so far not many Yanks huh ?

i dont think Quakers fought much, they were the half of my ancestors that were here then.
(my dad's side was still in Europe)

Feanaro
July 30, 2005, 05:23 PM
We aren't too sure but I believe my grandfather of too many times to remember, Eli Manuel Hogan, served and died in the Civil War. He was about 40, not too old to fight. He was in the 1860 census but not in the 1870. There is no grave in this state to an Eli or E Hogan, nor any other records to that effect. And he appears to be on a muster roll for the Jefferson County area. Trouble is, the first name is listed as "E." rather than "Eli". There is no other known Exxx Hogan from the area but there is still some doubt.

Interesting story. One of my nth great-grandfathers refused to fight for the Confederacy. And so, my nth great-grandmother cut his head off with an ax. :what: No charges pressed, as I remember it. All of the men in the family after that were good and devoted Southerners. :evil:

TallPine
July 30, 2005, 05:34 PM
One of my great grand fathers served in the civil war (on the wrong side, I am sad now to say). He was from Illinois. My grandmother still had his union uniform, and I assume my mother has it now.

More proudly, one of my Scot ancestors fought in the American Revolution. Interestingly enough, that branch of the family left Pennsylvania for Texas in the early 1860s - I often wonder if they were trying to avoid the coming storm, as I know of no civil war veterans among them.

Sorry, but I just don't feel comfortable mentioning names on the internet.

71Commander
July 30, 2005, 05:58 PM
My great-great Grandaddy fought for the CSA. We're from northeastern Tennessee. I saw a photo of him once with my Great-great Grandmother. He was in uniform. Has no visible rank or insiginas. He was just a mountain boy and dirt farmer before and after the war. He never left the mountains. Got a ton of kin folk down home, and in two years, there will be two more. My wife and me. :D

BTR
July 30, 2005, 06:00 PM
My great-great grandfather, Squirrelly Bill, was in the first Tennessee, and fought in several major battles, including first and second Bull Run and Gettysburg. He supposedly participated in Pickett's Charge. Another great-grandfather was in Forest's calvery... To round it out, two of my ancestors were murdered for refusing to join the confederate military... one apparently by the KKK, after the war.

49hudson
July 30, 2005, 06:40 PM
Had one Great-Great Grindfather who was a yankee from pa..
Two Great Grandfathers who were confederates from North Carolina.
All were privates.
One GreatGrandfather was shot by a yankee minie ball that went through his left elbow. went through his coat, shirt and eblow and rolled down his sleeve and fell at his feet. He picked it up and put it in his pocket. I think one of my Couisins has this.
The other confederate Great Grandfather was a distiller of peach brandy.
He was wounded, but the officer wouldn't sign his discharge until he sent home for a ten gallon keg of brandy.

oweno
July 30, 2005, 07:31 PM
Have ancestors that fought for both. Irish and French Canadian immigrants...Hey, sign up and get the bounty, the war will only last for a few months and then you'll have enough money to buy your own farm.

For one of the Confederates, he was actually able to buy a farm after the war. One of the Union ancestors, though, never came home. As they say on memorial tombstones (cenotaphs, I think), "Resting in Southern Fields"

Scoupe
July 30, 2005, 09:20 PM
About 5 Civil war vets in our family, maybe more. Three of them with my last name:
Aaron - 151st Regiment, Indiana Infantry
Matthias - 19th Regiment, Ohio Infantry and also shown as 32nd Regiment, Ohio Infantry - Probably served in Tennessee
Richard - 26th Independent Battery, Ohio Light Artillery

Our people come from Western Pennsylvania, Ohio and Indiana, so most were yankees. One notable exception would be Henry A. Wise of Virginia.

Also have at least one War of 1812 vet, a couple families involved in the 1794 Whiskey Rebellion.

Four Revolutionay vets. Frederich Donley (sometimes Dambach), Adam, and Jacob Tombaugh. All of York County, PA. Family tradition has Jacob at Valley Forge, but that is undocumented. George Tompoh is shown on rosters of Cpt. Jame's Craven's 5th Battalion Washington County Milita during the Revolution, then on George Meer's compnay and finally as a member of Stockley's Rangers.

NIGHTWATCH
July 30, 2005, 09:49 PM
I was watching the documentary by Ken Burns last night and wondered if any here had ties. This is awesome guys, thanks.

jrpeterman
July 30, 2005, 09:58 PM
Ira Puffer

Ira enlisted at Kalamazoo, Michigan at age 18 for 3 years service on August 11, 1864. He reached the Regiment at Atlanta, Georgia on September 5, 1864. Transferred to Company G, 10th Michigan Infantry on June 10, 1865. Mustered out at Louisville, Kentucky on July 19, 1865

Narrative by June Beckwith

This would be my great,great grandfather on my mother's side of the family. Could not for the life of me get the photo to paste.

kbeck76
July 30, 2005, 11:33 PM
G3-Uncle Jesse Bryant Beck was a First Sergeant with the 25th Alabama, Company B, he was wounded in the thigh during the Atlanta campaign and was home recovering when the war ended. He eventually moved to Shelby County, Texas and is buried out there. Jesse was from Covington County, Alabama, I have his CSA pension paperwork with testimonials from his commanding officer Bushrod Bell, pretty cool stuff.

http://home.earthlink.net/~sdriskell/25th/25th.htm

Kamicosmos
July 31, 2005, 12:34 AM
My mom's cousin ran our family tree waaaaay back, as in back to Europe.

I don't recall all the details, i need to email him and get a copy of his research.

But, We had at least one relative on each side of the Civil War, one was a major I believe, I think Union. My family also has some Cherokee Indian relatives (Great Great Grandpa was apparently full blooded Cherokee), and we had one relative in the Colonial Army for the Revolution. Rumor has it we have part of his uniform and calvary sabre locked away in a bank vault back east somewhere...that would be cool to verify.

Tokugawa
July 31, 2005, 12:50 AM
very interesting post! I have lots of ancesters in the French and Indian war and Rev. war, but none I know of in the Civil War. Mostly a bunch of northern coastal dwellers, fishermen, whalers,etc.

countertop
July 31, 2005, 12:53 AM
I'm not - my family was across the pond in Italy and Sweden at that time. My wife's family - on the other hand - were all fighting. Father in law is an officer in the SCV or something - and he's trying to get my son in. Don't know many of the details - about what they shot or otherwise - but I do know there is some relation to Jesse and Frank James. Wife's aunt - who runs a pretty neat history museum in Georgia knows all the details - she's told me before - but I never really listened.

joab
July 31, 2005, 12:57 AM
I see a lot of Alabamians here.
My ancestors served in the 15th Alabama Cavalry and the 23rd Infantry

John served as a private in the 23rd and later became a senator.

The brothers Redberry and Greenberry also served in the 23rd after the war Greenberry traveled up the Mississippi and was never heard from again until 1978 when it was discovered that he formed a family unit somewhere in Missouri.

I believe it was Cornelius, who served in the 15th Cav, that was the son or grandson of one of the Alabama volunteers that fought at the Alamo.

The only thing in the way of weaponry I've ever seen was Joshua's NCO sword that is now in the possession of my aunt Ciriphira, who became the family historian after uncle Aguspherus died. My sister is being groomed for th position now.

They take the family history way too seriously

chaim
July 31, 2005, 01:35 AM
I have only one ancestor in the direct line who was in the Civil War (PA infantry). He served in several major battles, including Gettysburg. There were about a dozen relatives, great (however many greats) uncles and distant cousins (what would you call the 1st cousins of your great, however many greats, grandparents) who served in PA or WV infantry units (including some officers). One however many greats uncle and his son both died at Andersonville Prison and his second son died in battle.

I don't have any pics but my dad has quite a few (he's the geneologist). I don't think any artifacts, like an old gun, survive. If they do we don't have them.

Also had two direct ancestors fight in the Revolution.

Feanaro
July 31, 2005, 01:42 AM
I see a lot of Alabamians here.

That's where the first capital of the Confederacy, Mun'tgummry, was located. And they don't call it the "Heart a Dixie" for nothing.

They take the family history way too seriously

Careful, you might turn out to be just as insane. If you put your nose into the matter even a little you might end up looking through old records in your spare time. Doesn't seem so serious when you have to find that Aunt that just doesn't seem to be on any records... :D

ezypikns
July 31, 2005, 01:47 AM
I know of three of my great great grandfathers who served the Confederacy. Nicholas Day of Apple Creek Township (near Cape Girardeau, Mo.) served with the 8th Missouri Cavalry. James Richardson served with an Arkansas Regiment. Don't know which one. Both fought in the western theater. J.D. Johnson served with the 19th Georgia in the Army of Northern Virginia.
Incidentally, there's a web site run by the national archives, called 'Civil War Soldiers and Sailors'. Enter your ancestor's name, and there's a good chance he'll show up there. The info is pretty basic but it can lead to more from the archives military records.

rms/pa
July 31, 2005, 09:54 AM
the easy ones that come to mind are my g,g,g grandfather,Darius Green Doyle PA volunteers. captured 5 times... escaped once, exchanged 3 times. the last time he finished the war at andersonville and walked home after the war.
sadly most of the local volunteers from his area died in the Sultana explosion.

then there is my g, grandfather David Peter George,PA volunteers. his name is on the PA monument at Gettysburg.

no know confederates but some of the family came from MD(union by the grace of six regiments of federal troops).

rms/pa

joab
July 31, 2005, 10:08 AM
If you put your nose into the matter even a little you might end up looking through old records in your spare time. One simple question on this forum sent me on a 4 hour research binge.
I saw a reflection of my sister in the comp monitor, had to run for the Prozac.

I told my sister about this thread this morning, she spent so much time yelling at me for misspelling my aunts name that I didn't have time to get any war info from her.

She does have a photo of a painting of Senator John though

MuzzleBlast
July 31, 2005, 10:52 AM
Most native Southerners are going to have Confederates in their lineage. Though I don't have any hard evidence, I suspect I fall under the "SOB" category.

Werewolf
July 31, 2005, 11:04 AM
Interesting thread: 2 Rebels mentioned for every Yankee. Wonder what that means?

Dan Morris
July 31, 2005, 11:38 AM
Great great grandfather, 41st Mississippi Infantry. Still have his release papers from a union prison camp. My family never relayed any stories on any military service. Actually, many generations gave served sence late 1700's... if you fought, it needs no stories....just thoughts.
Dan

El Tejon
July 31, 2005, 12:14 PM
Yes, one with the 11th Indiana (Infantry, later as a mounted scout), one with the 3rd (he was a wheelwright/carpenter) and one with the Unionists in Knoxville, TN (do not know the capacity).

Those of you into Civil War history, yes, the 11th was a Zouave unit who wore GRAY!!! No fancy uniforms for us, we'll stick to plain, old gray, dammit, boy.

You know what happened: "Look, here come our friends from Michigan. Rally, boys, give them a hoozah!" *Blam, blam, blam* "Why are they shooting at us?"

Muzzle, almost as many Southerners served the Union as the CSA.

El Tejon
July 31, 2005, 12:26 PM
Night, forgot, have a couple of suriving Civil War weapons and a weapon from that era. 1. a shotgun carried by my ancestor initially during opening of conflict (later issued guns in Indianapolis and he mailed shotgun back to farm); 2. A Remington revolver which we believe is a pick-up. I also have a handmade shotgun that we believe was made after the Civil War. We are not sure why it was made, but's it's cool just the same. Hangs on my home office wall.

I think I am the only THRer who is descended from someone who was in the rear with the gear, and proudly so. :D "Dammit, boy, you can't fight a war with warped wagon wheels!" :D

ezypikns
July 31, 2005, 12:34 PM
This for El Tejon:

"Muzzle, almost as many Southerners served the Union as the CSA."

Not necessarily questioning the accuracy of your comment, just curious as to where it came from.
Of course, there were notable Yankees and Southerners serving on the 'wrong' side during the war. I'm thinking of John C. Pemberton, of Philadelphia, who married a Southerner, and went on to command the Confederate army at Vicksburg.
Then there's Union General George H. Thomas, the 'Rock of Chickamauga'. He was born a Virginian but elected to stay with the Union when the war began.
Also I'm aware that there were strong Unionist sympathies in many Southern States. The Germans of Texas (around Fredericksburg) had no use for the Confederacy. Also I believe there were many mountain folk who sympathized with the Union.
I'm under the impression that these were pretty notable exceptions though. If you have some info or reference to books which verify your statement, I'd be very interested to see them.

gc70
July 31, 2005, 01:04 PM
The family tree has ancestors on both sides of the conflict, but one of my wife's ancestors is the most interesting since he personally fought on both sides of the conflict. He was from northern Tennessee, enlisted as a Confederate early in the war, was wounded at Shiloh, and was sent home on parole. Later in the war, he enlisted with the Union and guarded supplies for the rest of the war.

GaryM
July 31, 2005, 04:44 PM
Yes, on both sides. My ancestors have been part of every american conflict since before this was even a country (Even if they were loyalists during the revolution, oops.)

El Tejon
July 31, 2005, 05:09 PM
ez, notables aside, every Southern State had units fighting for the Union excepting South Carolina (which held the most slaves). Some Southern states were neutral at first but turned against the CSA because of Southern agression, e.g. Kentucky.

Entire areas in Texas (the hill country which was populated with many German immigrants), Arkansas, parts of Mississippi and TN (especially the bumpy part around Knoxville) were Union strongholds. Where slaves were few (hills of Texas, North Carolina and Virginia, etc.), resistance to the CSA was greatest as those people had no reason to fight for to preserve the lifestyle of the slaveholding oligarchy of the South.

As well, some of the local militias and "regulators" that were raised to keep the slaves in line turned feral and turned against the CSA. Arkansas most prominent example but happened throughout the South.

I'm at the office now. I'll get you some titles when I get back to the Alcazar del Tejon.

El Tejon
July 31, 2005, 07:12 PM
ez, O.K. back at Alcazar del Tejon.

I would start with THE UNCIVIL WAR by Robert Mackey. Mackey covers irregular warfare in Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee and Virginia. The Bibliography and footnotes will keep one occupied for a few months of dedicated study. Great book.

I would then take up LOOK AWAY! by William C. Davis. It details resistance to the CSA throughout the South where slaves were not held in great numbers.

OT, in my Civil War section of my library, I found this quote from James Madison in 1787, "The great danger to our general government is the great southern and northern interests of the continent being opposed to each other . . . these states were divided into different interests not by their differences of size by by other circumstances; the most material of which resulted partly from climate but principally from their having or not having slaves." Amazing that the Framers could see it coming 75 years before the war, yet it still happened. :(

As well, I would read the last section of THE COUSINS' WAR by Kevin Phillips. It weaves together the history of immigration, religion and slavery into a background discussing the Civil War.

Phillips does discuss Southern Union involvement including the many Union white regiments raised in Louisana and Florida and irregular forces such as the Tippah and Mississippi Rangers and the rangers of Florida, Alabama and Georgia (AL and FL resistance was away from the fertile cottonlands) who wanted no part of "this planters' war."

Rockstar
July 31, 2005, 07:54 PM
I'd just like to know if Ken Burns is a man, woman, or transexual?? Does anybody know for sure?

Oh, I know a guy who's father fought in the war between the United States of America and the Confederate States of America.

entropy
July 31, 2005, 09:04 PM
My G-G-Grandfather, whom I am named after, served in the Minnesota 2nd Light Volunteer Battery from 1862 to 1865, and was wounded at the Battle of Perrysville, KY. He was promoted to Cpl. while recuerating, and Sgt. shortly thereafter. His wife was a distant cousin of Robt. E. Lee. I don't have any surviving weaponry, but my uncle built a nice M1860 and presentation case for it and the original Union NCO belt buckle, which I now have. I found out later, when contacting the 2nd MN Light Battery re-enactment group that his issue pistol would have been an 1858 Remington.

KriegHund
July 31, 2005, 09:12 PM
My great great grandfather on my fathers side was in the civil war. Not sure if he fought for the south or north.

He was a captain, there are some newspapaer clippings my grnadmother has on him, he was called a luitnenant in the papers though.

Something cool is that i actually have his bayonette that he used :D

ezypikns
July 31, 2005, 09:16 PM
Obviously you are a thoughtful and well informed individual. And many thanks for the titles you listed. Exactly what I was asking for.

grampster
July 31, 2005, 10:56 PM
Great Grandfather (paternal) was a cavalryman in a unit from Pittsburgh,Pa. I have his honorable discharge locked up somewhere in my safe. He took a saber wound to the head and had a metal plate inserted to cover the wound, so the story goes in the family. I remember seeing tin types of him when I was a lad.

Ky Larry
July 31, 2005, 11:28 PM
I had a great,great,great grand father who fought for the south. He was wounded thru the back of both legs at Murfreesboro, Ten. He walked home from Tenn. to Morehead,Ky. In 1864, Union hooligans burned his home and hanged him. According to family legend, the Union soldiers killed all the animals on the farm and threw a dead pig in the well to make the water undrinkable. They left my great,great,great grand mother with no husband, no food, no home, and 6 children to raise. I understand why feelings still run high.

Phyphor
July 31, 2005, 11:53 PM
I'm a decendant of William Harvey Berryhill, 1st. Lt., Co. D, 43rd Regiment, Mississippi Volunteers.
I have the book of his letters, edited by relatives, called "The Gentle Rebel. "

Very interesting reads. His opinion of the Union's prowess wasn't exactly shining. :P

Dadx4
August 1, 2005, 12:00 AM
Yep, I do....after he retired, my dad and aunt started tracing geneology and found that they (thus, me too) were descendents of Gen. W.H.T. Walker who was killed at Battle of Atlanta by Union pickets when he took a wrong turn while inspecting his own lines. Damn Yankees !!! :neener:

Also, don't think it was used in the War of Northern Agression, but I do have a 10 ga. muzzle loading shotgun that belonged to another of my great grandfathers. It is just over five feet long and really heavy - would have been a real bear to carry any distance, especially in brush. Neat gun though.

jaysouth
August 1, 2005, 12:19 AM
My 3-g, Levi Sutherland was in the Choctaw Rangers in Choctaw, MS. At the onset of hostilities, his unit became B Co, 2d Regiment of Mississippi Cavalry. He was captured in TN and spent over a year in a prison in IL. It is lore in the family that the prison was just a couple of miles from where he stole a couple of horses in 1859 and rode them back to MS, selling one and keeping the other so he could join the cavalry.

I had some other relatives living in Clark County, VA. When VA was invaded and sacked by Sheridan's troops, Yankee troops looted theri their home, then burned it and the barn and all outbuildings, all of their canned and smoked food and livestock was stolen. Up to that fateful day when the yankees destroyed everything they had in their world, they had been anti-slavery and pro-union. They became rabid partisans and took the war to the Yankees rear. Family lore is that they killed their last yankee in 1900.

Atticus
August 1, 2005, 12:20 AM
All of them.....'cept those held under house arrest in Kentucky. Evidently the Feds weren't sure about their loyalties period.

Fred Fuller
August 1, 2005, 01:40 PM
Take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Winston for an example of one area that refused to go along with secession. Of course, there were other areas in the Confederacy where the same sort of thing happened, as well as a lot of places where support for the Union was strong though not sufficient to produce secession from the secessionists. The same sort of thing was of course true in some northern states, and often the border states and territories were the bloodiest. Those were difficult and tragic times indeed, truly a civil war despite attempts to offer a more rosy view of things. Its legacy lives on with us still.

lpl/nc

Yanus
August 1, 2005, 02:17 PM
One of my ancestors was Capt. Benjamin H. Screws - Co. K 29th Alabama Inf. Regiment.

He was known as the "Boy captain of the Confederacy" as he was only 19 when he became a captain. He was wounded at the siege of Atlanta, but survived the war. He later became a U. S. Congressman. He was from Barbour County Alabama.

Yanus

simon
August 1, 2005, 02:18 PM
My dad did a family tree about 20 years ago, and found we are decended from U.S. Grant. I believe that would make him a great-great-great-great great?- uncle.

KriegHund
August 1, 2005, 02:19 PM
Yanus, did all his superiors die in the battles?

I seem to remember a seargent once came into command of an entire company or regiment or the like.... I want to say it was in the battle of the wilderness but i honestly have no clue.

Yanus
August 1, 2005, 02:39 PM
KreigHund,

I honestly don't know. I had another ancestor whose last name was Screws who was a Major in some Georgia outfit. He, too, survived the war and became a writer for the Atlanta Journal. However, he had suffered a major head injury in the war that eventually took his life.

I'll have to do some more research on Capt. Benjamin Harrison Screws.

Brrlgrrl
August 1, 2005, 03:29 PM
Yes, both parents relatives.
Mavity famous for the curious little diary: http://www.countyhistory.com/doc.benton/004.htm
Potter famous for the Mahopac: http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/h59000/h59428.jpg

oweno
August 1, 2005, 03:53 PM
Here's a photo of my great-granduncle, Michel Manseau, killed in the Civil War. Union Army and, sad to say, I've been unable to find out anything about him. State, regiment, etc. Done some on-line searches but no luck.
Even the records in Quebec (where he was born) state that he was kia fighting for the North but even in his home town, nobody remembers anything.
I'd really appreciate any suggestions as to where and how to look.
regards,
Owen
Lots of luck, though, finding my Confederate ancestors - Tennessee has great records, many are on-line.

entropy
August 1, 2005, 08:13 PM
Oweno, if you know what state he enlisted in, you can start with that State's Adjutant General's Reports for the years 1860-65. I found my G-G-Granfathers unit that way. It had been erroniously passed down that he was in the Cavalry, when he had been in the Artillery. As to where The AG's Report might be, enquire at a library, they will probably know where to get it. Minnesota's are housed in the Minnesota Historical Society's History Center, and I had to go there and physically write the info down. (No cameras, and the charge for photocopies is steep there.) Also, get in touch with any CW re-enactment groups in that area, I found out a lot about my ancestor's time in the Army from them, like what campaigns he fought in, where he was at a given time, etc. HTH.

fallingblock
August 1, 2005, 11:34 PM
It truly was a Civil War.

Great grandpa Felix W. Graham was Colonel commanding the Fifth Indiana Volunteer Cavalry from late in 1862 to end of 1863. The Fifth was operational in Kentucky and east Tennesee. After Felix resigned to return home due to his wife's illness (three kids on the farm) half of the Fifth Indiana Cavalry was captured with Stoneman's raid around Atlanta on the 31st July 1863 and spent the remainder of the war at Andersonville prison. Stoneman wrote: "I want a regiment that I can depend upon, and if I had a dozen regiments like the 5th Indiana Cavalry I could whip all the cavalry in the Confederacy."
Several reports by Felix are contained in the "Official Record of the War of the Rebellion" (bit of a Yankee slant there - victors get to write the official histories ;) ).

None of Felix's weaponry came my way.

Great Grandpa Thomas Jefferson Drane, Jr. from Bowling Green, Ky. enlisted in the 10th Tennessee Cavalry in 1861, bringing his own horse south to Tennessee to fight for the Confederacy. He was with John Hunt Morgan at the battle of Lebanon,TN-5May1862. Most of Morgan's men were able to fight their way out of Lebanon, but Thomas Jefferson Drane was taken prisoner by the Yankees. He spent the summer of '62 in Yankee prison and was recruited into the 4th Kentucky Mounted Rifles upon his 1SEP62 parole.
The 4th was commanded by Col. William C.P. Breckinridge and was merged with Robert Stoner's Battalion to create the 9th Kentucky Calvary in December of 1862.
T.J. helped drive the Yankees from the field at the battle of Perryville, Ky-8OCT62.

Poor ol' T.J. oughta stayed away from Lebanon, TN....in a raid behind Yankee lines to cut the Nashville railroad, he was captured a second time! :eek:

Shipped to the Federal military prison at Louisville, Drane was then transferred to Baltimore and then City Point, VA where he was "paroled for exchange" at Ft. McHenry 27APR63. His KY military records end here, and I haven't been able to find out what happened to T.J. for the remainder of the war. His old unit, the 9th Ky Cavalry remained intact and under the command of Breckinridge until March of 1865 and formed a portion of Jefferson Davis' escort as he fled south from Richmond.

As a young boy, I received the Enfield bayonet T.J. had sent home in 1862 when the 4th KY mounted rifles became 'proper' cavalry. I broke the durn thing playing army with it. :(

My Swiss great grandparents arrived in NYC in 1864 and Vincent Guentesberger was quickly drafted into Mr. Lincoln's service. I know he served in the Federal Army, but my recollection of his wartime letters written in German (they were lost when my father died) doesn't extend to his unit designation.

I have this recurring vision of both my parents' grandparents chasing around Kentucky and Tennessee shooting at each other. :what:

Texian Pistolero
August 1, 2005, 11:53 PM
Civil War?

Through my mother's line I have THREE ancestors at the Battle of San Jacinto!

Now THAT is true ROYALTY!!!!!!!!!!!!

WORSHIP ME!!!!!!!!

Inferior DUDES!!!!!!!!!!

campergeek
August 2, 2005, 12:09 AM
My G-G-Grandfather, Thomas Schrunk served in the 15th Reg. Iowa Infantry and marched with Sherman to the sea. After he returned home he built quite a fortune in land across Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota and Kansas until he was killed by a runaway team in 1913. If any firearms or other artifacts remain, I don't have them.

Moonclip
August 2, 2005, 12:50 AM
I have a great-great grandfather who I assume fought for the Confederacy as he was born in Beaumont Texas. I don't know too much about him, you know how families like to embellish storys but I was always under the impression he was an officer of sorts.

I always found it odd we had a civil war vet in the family as we are mostly of Mexican descent but this particular relative was from the Irish part of the family. There was a book that detail Mexican involvement in the civil war called Vaqueros in Blue and Grey but it is out of print and I have not got around to getting a copy yet. As my great grandfather spoke some Spanish and lived in Mexico for a while for work purposes I was hoping this book might clear some things up.

entropy
August 2, 2005, 01:33 AM
Well, Texian Pistolero, this thread is about the Civil War. Some of us had ancestors in the Revolutionary War, also. ;) I have two I know of, one on each my mother's and father's sides....

CZF
August 2, 2005, 01:48 AM
My father's family came here(USA) in 1852. By the Civil War they were firmly
entrenched with other Germans in Ohio.

My mother's family was a different breed. Texas and Kentucky.
A G-G-Grandfather that was a WagonMaster with the 9th Kentucky
Calvary I believe..
After the War he moved west to Oregon and became an Indian Trader.

No doubt along with a bunch of German Yankees, as the majority of Oregonians
are of German descent.

I guess wagons were his thang!

P-35/53
August 2, 2005, 01:49 AM
I know of two in my fanily line both were privates but served on fifferent sides. John Boley was from West Virginia but joined an Ohio regiment that invaded Georgia. Charles Sayre was a Private in Lee's Army of Northern Virginia. There might be others but these two I know of.

threefeathers
August 2, 2005, 02:37 AM
Three of my great uncles served with the 85th Indiana Infantry Coburns Brigade during the war. John Wesley Southard, my grandfathers favorite older brother was wounded at Nashville during the last week of the war and died on the way home.

pbeau55
January 6, 2008, 08:34 PM
I was the last direct decendent of General Beauregard, but my little boy is. The family has some pictures and articles of his. I will be sure to post them for all to see.

WildcatRegi
January 6, 2008, 09:53 PM
Yup, my gggrandfather and gggranduncle were in the 105th Pennsylvania 'Wildcats' regiment - hense my name.

My gggrandfather was shot 3 times at Malvern Hill and lost the use of his right arm

My ggranduncle lost his jaw at Gettysburg but lived another 20 years before he died of stomach problems because he couldn't chew his food.

I have his wedding picture with a full beard that hid his chin but he looked quite respectable.

His name appears on the Pennsylvania monument at Gettysburg which I try to visit as often as I can.

I'm glad to see so many people are aware of their ancestry - the Civil War defined America, if you don't understand the CW, you don't understand America.

Before the CW we were Pennsylvanians, Kentuckians, or Virginians. After the CW we were Americans.

Before the CW we would say the United States 'are' going to do something, after the CW we say the United States 'is' going to do something.

Sons of Union Veterans:
http://freepages.military.rootsweb.com/~gjacobs/home.htm

you like to shoot cannons, mortars, muskets, ....
http://www.n-ssa.net/phpbb/

chefman
January 6, 2008, 10:24 PM
Me too, my 3-great grandfather was in the New York 1st Infantry guarding the Baltimore railyards. My wifes 3-great grandfather was at Chattanooga and then at Chickamauga as a back-up regiment according to pay records. He was with the Georgia 24th. We still have a good marriage,tho.

Kim
January 6, 2008, 10:31 PM
I just found out a tid-bit this year from my mom. My GGGF on my paternal side fought for the UNION. I find that interesting since I and he is and are Southern born and raised. He was sent to Ft. Gibson I believe at one time out in OK near the AR border. He and his brother traveled by horseback from Georgia I believe. And the big shocker to me is the 200 acre homested I grew up on was given to him by the UNION for serving. I feel like a carpetbagger now?????? Arkansas was one of those States that literally had brothers fighting on differing sides. I will have to ask my Mom for more info. I have a sneakey feeling her side of the family fought on the rebel side.....

gamboolman
January 6, 2008, 11:13 PM
My Great Grandfather was in a Texas outfit for the Confederacy. He was young and I don't think that he was in any big fights? My grandmother, his daughter, did say that they had Union prisoners and one had to be executed for some reason.
I wish I knew more and had more definitive details. I have a picture of him somewhere.

Bentonville
January 6, 2008, 11:14 PM
Most direct ancestor: George Washington Ezzard, Cumming Ga. Enlisted in 1861 Ga. 36th Regiiment. Fought, captured, paroled at Vicksburg. Re-entered same outfit but his Brigade was under Cummings a few months later and fought from Tenn. to Atl, Jonesboro, then finally to Bentonville. He mustered out at Smithfield NC. I have pictures of him in his early '90s and a copy of his account of his service. He thought Hood was the worst mistake the Confederacy every made and he was devoted to Johnston. He never owned a slave. He did not approve of leaving the Union. He did not have a choice once the fight was on: family and homeland came first. He mustered out as a Captain.
One of his brothers died at Gettysburg. Another died in Ill. at a prison camp.
Other relatives from South Ga., the Bush family from Colquitt area, had slaves and were stationed in Fla.

Neo-Luddite
January 7, 2008, 12:05 AM
Cpl. Charles Bishop, CMH (aka. George Stokes) Co. C, 122nd Illinois Inf. was my Great-Great Grandfather. He was awarded the CMH under the Stokes name at Nashville for capturing a CSA Battle Flag. I don't know if Illinois retains the flag or returned it, but the regimental colors of the 122nd are preserved at Springfield.

He received a pension for his service (and his award) and for having maimed his hand with an axe while cutting frozen meat at a winter encampment. Recently, through no action of our family, he got a fresh marker that includes both his names and lists his status as a CMH winner:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=8083431

Needless to say, we were very pleased and surprised. He is burried in a cemetary where many of our family have been burried since he passed, and we are grateful that someone saw fit to update his monument.

Atticus
January 7, 2008, 12:14 AM
I do...but I don't know much about them. I just know that my grandma was still pissed about losing....even though she was not born until 40 years after it ended. Someone in my family has been named Lee ever since. Her family was named Hoffman and they lived in North Carolina. I know that a number of her uncles fought in the war. On my dad's side, I can trace a few of them back to the Revolutionary War. One was named Josiah Reasor. I believe there is a statue of him somewhere in Central Kentucky.

JWarren
January 7, 2008, 01:05 AM
Every male ancestor of age that I have was a veteran of the Civil War. I can look up some of the information you requested and some details. My mother keeps up with most of that.

Interesting story however, the home I just renovated was built by my Great-Grandfather. His father was shot in the hip in the Civil War but -- get this-- his pouch of "hard-tack" (really hard bisquits) stopped the bullet. The pouch had a bullet hole in one side and none on the other. It was donated a few years back the Vicksburg Civil War Museum.

I'll see about getting it scanned but I have a photo of the last Civil War Veterans alive in this area that was taken circa 1910. You'd be shocked at how many were missing limbs. It was taken in front of the home of one of my ancestors. The home is now known as the John Ford Home, but in those times it was John Ford's Fort.

Lately, I've spent most of my time dealing with Revolutionary War era ancestors and Pre-Revolutionary War ancestors. I was fascinated to find that a large number of my ancestors fought in Marion Francis' (The Swamp Fox) army -- particularly they were in Elias Dubose (my name-sake's father-in-law) company of South Carolina Volunteer Militia under Marion Francis' command. Somehow my namesake made his way to MS, and is buried in our family cemetary.

-- John

Draven32
January 7, 2008, 07:35 AM
Great Great Grandfather (Maternal) was a 1LT in the Army of Virginia, and served as an aide to General Lee. His saber is still in the possession of my grandparents, and desperately needs cleaning.

Landlocked Pirate
January 7, 2008, 09:37 AM
My great-grandfather Pvt. John Harrison enlisted in the Ga. 6th Infantry and fought under Gen. Jackson until his unit was reassigned to the Army of Tennessee. He was wounded at the Battle of Olustee in Florida and died of his wounds some 30 years later.

ScottsGT
January 7, 2008, 09:38 AM
No photos, but my Grandmother on my Moms side was the granddaughter or niece of Stonewall Jackson. My Uncle has all the documentation/family tree history. For some reason I have not followed up on it.

News Shooter
January 7, 2008, 09:41 AM
Great-great grandfather, private in Day's Cavalry (TN/CSA) Captured in July of 1862 taken to Camp Douglas in Chicago as a POW. He died there of smallpox in November of 64.

BTW, Camp Douglas, despite what you hear and read, had a higher death rate among prisoners than Andersonville

My father has his Kentucky rifle and I have a tin type of him in uniform with a sword. I haven't had time to check out what type of sword it is

PennsyPlinker
January 7, 2008, 10:17 AM
Four relatives of which I know. Two fought as enlisted men in a PA regiment and are listed on the memorial in Gettysburg. One fought for the 31st VA Infantry, also at Gettysburg. The most famous is Brig Gen Imboden, who did not really see any action at Gettysburg itself, but handled getting the wounded out and supervised the retreat successfully, fending off Union attacks on the wagon train.

sacp81170a
January 7, 2008, 10:25 AM
No pictures of my great-great-grandfather Nathaniel Brooks, but here's his gravestone in the cemetery at Drakes Creek Baptist Church in Drakes Creek, Arkansas.

my ancestors seem to have been the only privates in the entire Confederacy

From the stories I've heard from my grandparents, Nathaniel was a private, too. ;)

Marlin 45 carbine
January 7, 2008, 10:36 AM
my g-grandad's brothers were Confeds in a N.C. infantry regmt. one was an expert blacksmith and got transferred to the Confed R.R. after it was nationalized, he returned home unschathed. his brother was not so fortunate, perishing on the left flank at Fredricksburg during the last Federal charge and hand-to-hand and bayo-to-bayo fighting that took place.
my g-grandad was crippled from a horse stepping onto his foot and was unfit for service.

Stump Water
January 7, 2008, 10:48 AM
Two Great Grandfathers. Company C 29th Virginia Infantry. Enlisted in April 1861, in Grayson/Carroll County Virginia.

One GGF was also joined by his two brothers. They were both killed in the war. My GGF survived and lived until 1924.

The other GGF was captured in 1862 and taken to the Union prison in Elmira, NY; where we remained until the end of the war. When he was released he walked home. It took him two years.

Ash
January 7, 2008, 11:06 AM
Great Great Great Grandfather Antony Davis - Georgia Militia
Great Great Grandfather Daniel Davis - Georgia Militia
Great Great Great Grandfather Flemming Hart - Florida Militia - died during war.
Great Great Grandfather AP Peacock - Alabama Militia

I have Daniel's Colt 1849 Pocket Pistol he bought at age 14 and carried to Atlanta for that fight.

None of ours were officers, all privates.

Ash

Klusterbuck
January 7, 2008, 11:26 AM
My Gr Gr Grandfather / mothers side....

Williams, Rufus

Fayetteville, 18, s, 5-10, Farmer

Wounded at Winchester--spent minie ball. Wounded at Antietam--shell left side. Hospital Boonsboro Maryland. No 5 United States Army General Hospital Frederick Maryland. United States Army Convalescent Hospital Patterson Park Baltimore Maryland. Returned to regiment 12-62. Wounded at Gettysburg--severe gunshot to right thumb. 1st Division/12th Corps General Field Hospital & United States Army Hospital Gettysburg Pennsylvania. Hospital Baltimore Maryland. Returned to regiment. Wounded at New Hope Church--slight. Mustered out. Died St Petersburg Florida 10-10-1926, buried St Petersburg

Gr Gr Gr Grandfather also on mother's side also served. Died as a POW at Libbyville Prison I believe.

Just 2 Yanks..... no Rebs to my knowledge.

The Annoyed Man
January 7, 2008, 11:49 AM
I'm not sure about direct ancestors, but I do have a Norwegian immigrant great great great uncle who served with a Minnesota regiment, was taken prisoner, and served out the rest of the war as a POW at Andersonville. I have a written copy of his personal account of the experience. More recent investigations into the testimony against Henry Wirz, the Commandant, and the conduct of the prosecution reveal that his trial was wholly inadequate. Apparently, it was a mere formality. However, my ancestor's report was less than favorable toward Wirz.

ronaldbeal
January 7, 2008, 11:59 AM
In the early 1980's my mother researched her family tree, and we have quite a few great grandfathers and great uncles who fought, most in the confederacy:

Moses F Harrell:
C.S.A. 54th Regiment, Co.G, Volunteer Infantry Army of Tennessee. Private.
His company surrendered to Gen. McCook in 1865 in Tallahassee, FL.

John Bassett Harrell:
C.S.A., unknown, shot in chest, left with a paralyzed arm. Died in 1927

Adam B Faircloth:
C.S.A, 51st Regiment,Co. C Georgia Volunteer Infantry, Army of North Virginia...
later: Co C 2nd Regiment Calvary, 2nd Sgt.

Martin Van Buren Faircloth:
C.S.A. 6th Regiment, Co. F, Georgia Volunteer Infantry, Army of Tennessee. Private

George Washington Faircloth:
C.S.A. 2nd Cav, Co. C. Private

Robert Lee Massey:
C.S.A. 29th Regiment, Co. A, Georgia Volunteer Infantry, Army of Tennessee. Private.

Hampton Folsom:
C.S.A. 26th Regiment, Co. I, Georgia Volunteer Infantry, Army of North Virginia. Died in service of disease.

William J Folsom:
C.S.A. 26th Regiment, Co. C, ... Later 62nd Georgia Regiment, Co. L, ... Later 6th Georgia Cavalry Regiment, Co. I, KIA at Burgess Mill.

I'll type a little more, later.
Hope it helps.
RB

Buck shot
January 7, 2008, 12:25 PM
My g... grandpa Thomas Thompson and his dad-in-law (also g.... granpa) were both in the 6th Miss "Lowery Rifles". I joined the SCV and the camp the camp that carries their name. Check out the website. www.lowryrifles.com

I had one ancestor on my mother's side (Courney) that was a preacher in Miss who fought for the South and then went back to preaching after the war.

Hero's to me are men who will give everything for what they believe!

My wife found the records back to where one of my ancestors fought in the Revolutionary War.

MakAttak
January 7, 2008, 12:38 PM
Henry Clay Hall

My Great great grandfather on my mother's side. Fought for Virginia and served as Robert E Lee's flagbearer.

Further ancestors fought in the revolutionary war as well.

On my father's side... the history is more sketchy. It's very likely some were involved in the other side of the civil war- much of that side is actually Cherokee so they may simply have not gotten involved.

Vern Humphrey
January 7, 2008, 01:08 PM
On my father's side... the history is more sketchy. It's very likely some were involved in the other side of the civil war- much of that side is actually Cherokee so they may simply have not gotten involved.
The Cherokee, at least some factions of the tribe, were deeply involved, fighting mostly west of the Mississippi. The last Confederate General to surrender was Stand Watie, a full-blooded Cherokee.

When I was a Second Lieutenant, I needed Dress Blues, so I bought a set at the Thrift Store for cheap. There was only one thing wrong with them -- all the gold trim was real gold. Under Army regulations, you can wear gold-colored rayon trim or gold, but you can't mix-and-match.

When I got promoted to First Lieutenant, I needed a new set of shoulder boards -- and nearly fainted when I saw what gold trim boards would cost. So I got a jar of silver model airplane paint and painted my bars silver.

Then I made Captain. Gold shoulder boards cost even more -- so I broke out the silver paint and painstakingly built up a second sliver bar.

Then I made Major. To buy a set of gold shoulder boards would require paying off the national debt. So I haunted Thrift Shops and finally found a set of gold Infantry Major's boards -- very ratty and ragged, but in my price range.

At a formal affair, I was accosted by a Major General, "Major, those shoulder boards are an absolute disgrace!"

I drew myself up and said, "Sir, these shoulder boards were at Gettysburg." For the rest of the night, senior officers would admire my shoulder boards and congratulate me.

Fortunately, none of them knew that Joshua Humphrey (who crossed the Stone Wall) was a Lieutenant Colonel in the Confederate Army and Alexander A. Humphrey was a Union Brigadier General.:D

MakAttak
January 7, 2008, 01:15 PM
The Cherokee, at least some factions of the tribe, were deeply involved, fighting mostly west of the Mississippi. The last Confederate General to surrender was Stand Watie, a full-blooded Cherokee

Woo! Thanks, you narrowed it down... That wasn't an ancestor!

Seriously though, thanks for the history lesson. Growing up in Yankee territory, I only really heard about Lincoln...

Vern Humphrey
January 7, 2008, 01:28 PM
Woo! Thanks, you narrowed it down... That wasn't an ancestor!
The Five Civilized Tribes held slaves, and all tended to fight for the Confederacy. At Poison Springs, Arkansas, a Creek unit fought a Colored Union unit. After the battle, the Creeks buried the dead Union soldiers from the waist down, leaving their upper bodies exposed to show disdain for them.

Barbara
January 7, 2008, 01:31 PM
If any of you have not had the chance to request your ancestors pension records from the National Archives, you should. They cost $37.00 and has all kinds of information on service and other details about the veteran's service and life.

I do genealogy a lot and would be glad to help out if anyone needs it. I just made my annual offer over on APS so I'll extend it here.

Same note: I'm not responsible for horse theives, traitors or damned yankees I might find..I just report.

Harve Curry
January 7, 2008, 01:32 PM
Is there a source where one could look up names on the interent?

JAG2955
January 7, 2008, 01:33 PM
This is my great-great-(great?)-something Sigmund. The image is of a daguerrotype in our basement. Supposedly, he was a sharpshooter(?).

http://i1.tinypic.com/7131oj8.jpg

Can someone confirm/deny the sharpshooter part? I don't know why it came up sideways. Please rotate your monitor to fix.

Another great-great-something, my dad's mom's grandfather's name is on the Gettysburg monument. Last name Fisher.

My wife's family is from Georgia, and they can trace their lineage to Stonewall Jackson. Another cross-border marriage. :neener:

Barbara
January 7, 2008, 01:34 PM
Yes, you can try the archives.gov.

If not, send me their name, and I'll look them up, as I have access to a lot of paid databases.

Professor Gun
January 7, 2008, 01:40 PM
Two of my G-G-Grandfathers served the Confederacy in the 18th Virginia Cavalry; Abraham Wilkins and Fredrick Mauk. Both lived in the Hardy Co./Hampshire Co. area of Virginia (now West Virginia). They served as teamsters for much of the war. After Gettysburg they were part of the long train of wagons transporting Confederate wounded and Union prisoners back to Virginia. They were also a part of Gen. Early's march on Washington in 1864. Both survived the war, Fredrick died in 1915, Abraham died in 1926. Abraham's son, James Edward, married Fredrick's daugher, Sarah Louisa Catherine. My line was the first to leave the area of Hardy/Hampshire Co. and many of the present residents are related to the Wilkins/Mauk family.

Vern Humphrey
January 7, 2008, 01:49 PM
Google "Civil war veterans"

MakAttak
January 7, 2008, 02:07 PM
Wow, I may have found my Cherokee ancestor in the Confederate roles:

Pinkston Hallmark. Private. 1st Battallion. Missouri Infantry.

I know that's my ancestor's name. The location is fairly close too....

Dang it! Now I'm gonna have to research all this and it's all this thread's fault! ;)

Buck shot
January 7, 2008, 02:17 PM
Now is time to protect your southern heritage and join the Sons of Confederate Veterans. The only thing you need is your ancestor's name and company.

Vern Humphrey
January 7, 2008, 02:20 PM
Can someone confirm/deny the sharpshooter part? I don't know why it came up sideways. Please rotate your monitor to fix.
Depends on what you mean by "sharpshooter." The uniform is more of a Zouve uniform (going by the fez-like hat), not that of the United States Sharp Shooters (USSS), Hiram Berdan's regiment. But he may well have been employed as a sniper or sharpshooter, regardless of the unit.

Do you know his unit?

Caimlas
January 7, 2008, 02:36 PM
Quite a few, actually; I'm just not sure who, as there were a hell of a lot of 'em from the counties where my ancestors lived. F'instance, look up people with the name of "Cole" from the vicinity of Putnam County in NY, serving for the Union, and you're liable to find a hundred who were either my actual ancestors, or my ancestors' 1st, 2nd, or 3rd cousins (once/twice removed). Same for names like Hopkins.

I personally consider the Civil War a bit of a blight on the face of this nation, so it's not exactly something I've looked into. I've got (prominent) lines in this country going back to the Revolutionary War (ever hear of Enoch Crosby/Harvey Birch?), so thats a bit more prominent in my mind.

Though I really should get more into genealogy...

Vern Humphrey
January 7, 2008, 02:53 PM
F'instance, look up people with the name of "Cole" from the vicinity of Putnam County in NY
Interesting. My Great Grandmother was Caroline Elizabeth Cole (Humphrey.) I have a geneology of the Cole family somewhere. Supposedly Ruben Cole was a survivor of a Continental attack on a British guard posted at a bridge in New York. Wounded, he was left for dead, and was found by Lydia Huycks, half Dutch and half Mohawk. She nursed him back to life and married him.

Limeyfellow
January 7, 2008, 04:49 PM
I have ancestors who fought for both the Cavaliers and the Roundheads if that is any help?

jkingrph
January 7, 2008, 04:57 PM
Although I am not a direct descendant, back in the family tree there is a John H Reagan, of Palestine, Tx who was postmaster general of the Confederacy.

It seems as though his father and one of my great-great something grandfathers were brothers.

I don't know exactly what the relation would be as I do not do genealogy(sp) but he has been mentioned in several Reagan family reunions in N. Louisiana, where part of the family had settled

sacp81170a
January 7, 2008, 05:05 PM
I have ancestors who fought for both the Cavaliers and the Roundheads if that is any help?

Sorry, wrong Civil War. Of course, how can War be Civil?

Officers'Wife
January 7, 2008, 05:12 PM
Hi Nightwatch,

My Dad has a saber and a Walker Colt hanging on the wall that was used by my 3rd great grandfather who served with General Sherman as well as a rifle that was used by on of his (GGG grandfather) when he served with the Confederate army. Dad also has a journal that was written by GGG grandfather that describes his views (among other things) the sack of Atlanta.

You do not attempt to open the glass protecting sword and firearms if you are fond of living. To my knowledge neither firearm has been used since the 19th century.

Selena

AirplaneDoc
January 7, 2008, 05:18 PM
Great Grandfather was a member of the 184th Pennsylvania Volunteers Company H. He mustered out at the battle Appomattox. Have a Distant grandfather that fought in the American Revolution, and even further back one that came over on the Mayflower. Working to get the last couple of supporting Docs for Mayflower Assoc. registry.

Alaxsxaq
January 7, 2008, 07:03 PM
One member of my family served. Abraham Bear served with the 5th Heavy Artillery, 204th Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers, Company K from August 22, 1864 until June 30, 1865. This regiment did duty in the northern defenses of Washington DC and along the Manassas Gap Railroad protecting supplies for Sheridan in regular engagement with Mosby. In Spring 1865, they buried the dead at Bull Run. I remember as a kid seeing the uniform and rifle stored away in my grandparents house. No idea where these artifacts got to after my grandparents died.

Byron Quick
January 7, 2008, 07:59 PM
My great-great grandfather, Cameron Quick, was a private in the 34th Georgia Infantry. No weapons passed down to anyone in the family as far as I know. He has a lot of descendants here in Burke County. The Quick family has five separate family reunions here...all descended from him. There could be scads of stuff bequeathed through other lines.

PX15
January 7, 2008, 08:09 PM
I was raised by my maternal Grandmother. She is shown as a young lady, standing left rear. Her Mom is seated, and her sister is standing right with her hands on my g-grandmothers shoulders.

My g-grandfather was a private in the Confederate Army, captured up North someplace, imprisoned for the duration, freed, told to walk back to Georgia.

I think the picture was taken around 1907-8 as my Grandmother was born in 1892. The attire seems like "horseless carriage riding clothes" but I'm just guessing. At the time of my g-grandfathers death he was relatively prosperous (naval stores, timber, etc.)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_6338.jpg

I still have an 1802 Silver Dollar my g-grandfather gave my Grandmother when she was a small girl.

J.Pomeroy

4v50 Gary
January 7, 2008, 09:22 PM
Jag2955 - please share the full name of your ancestor depicted in the daguerrotype. If you know his unit, please provide that too.

BTW, Not all Union sharpshooters were attired in green. Many wore the standard issue and this includes Berdan's Sharp Shooters as their green wore out. The First New York Battalion Sharp Shooters wore the blue, but had black rubber buttons in lieu of the bright metal ones. One company of Birge's Western Sharpshooters wore grey (typical of many units which mustered in their militia uniforms on the first year of the war).

cpaspr
January 7, 2008, 09:28 PM
I have my great-great-grandfather's sword and scabbard, and what I guess you would call the program card from his funeral. It's very dark blue, printed in gold, about 5" x 9" and 3/16" thick.

He was a colonel. Lt. colonel, if I recall correctly. Union.

The sword is etched and engraved on both sides, but I don't know if that's normal, or if it is a dress sword. My grandmother had it for probably 50 years, always just standing behind the door in the spare bedroom. She gave it to me when she had to move out of her house in her 80s (25 years or so ago), as I had been the one grandkid who was always pulling it out and looking at it when we went over to visit. I used to have to pull it part way out, then grab the blade and pull it the rest of the way because my arms were too short. I still remember the day I was able to draw it out it in one try.

Oh, and Draven32 (post 82), the blade of that sword shouldn't be cleaned with anything other than oil. The tarnish is part of the patina and part of the aging of the sword. Simply put some 3-in-1 or other light oil on a rag and start wiping. You'll get lots of rust off at first, but that's okay. Just find a clean part of the rag and add a little more oil, till you stop getting rust off. When you're done simply wipe it down with a dry rag that will leave just a hint of a coat of oil to protect it. I probably spent half an hour to an hour just wiping the blade from end to end when I first got it.

4v50 Gary
January 7, 2008, 09:51 PM
BTW, as cpaspr recommended, don't remove the patina on any relic. You devalue it when you do.

Clean it by wiping it down. If it's metal, I would use hot (distilled) water to get the dirt and any oils off. Then I'd dry it thoroughly. To protect it, apply Rennaisance Wax. Microcystelline in nature, it's also PH neutral and was developed by the British Museum to protect metal, wood, leather. You put a coat on and rub it in. Museums worldwide use it and you can get a good size container at WoodCraft.

Disclaimer: Neither THR nor I have any financial interest in Rennaisance Wax, its maker, distributors or any wholesalers of the product.

Schutzen
January 7, 2008, 10:23 PM
This is a very interesting thread. I do have some personal observations to pass on. If you are aware of a family member that has documents or artifacts linking your family to an era in history, make sure that family member knows what they are and how important they are to the family. In my own family, uninterested family members have thrown away my 9th GGF's bible listing the other officers of his unit in the Revolutionary War and sold off the old cap & ball revolvers that the family used to defend themselves during Indian attacks. Both of these thoughtless acts occurred in the last 25 years. There is a segment of the populace that does not value history and their family’s links to history. Unless your family members know you are deeply interested in your family’s history, your family history may suffer the same fate. Go ask your relatives about photos, guns, swords, letters, bibles, diaries. It is the only way you will ever know. I asked. I did not get much, but my Aunt did bring me a leather flight jacket with a name tag CPL Leland L. Dxxxxx USAAF. My father has Alzheimer’s and the jacket can not talk, but I wonder how many miles they spent together in the turret of a B-17? Guys, ask before it is too late.

Ash
January 7, 2008, 11:41 PM
Dad had an AVG Flying Tigers flight jacket his teacher had given to him in high school. Wore it out and threw it away in the 1960's.

As to family, I have already told my wife that, while I want nothing more than to give my son the pocket pistol that his great great great grandfather carried, along with the bent Marlin barrel that his great great grandfather slung against a tree when it missed a turkey, drawing instead that same pocket pistol and killing the bird in flight, if my son shows no interest in family history, it will not go with him. Should we have no other kids, then the revolver will go to the nephew who most values family history.

Ash

bluestarlizzard
January 7, 2008, 11:53 PM
plenty from the revolution, a couple from 1812, a bunch from the civil war (both sides).
i don't know any of the specifics. my aunt and great uncle have done all the geneology.
we do have a picture of a relative in a confederate uniform that looks just like my uncle johnny. and if you go to williamsburg you can see a portrait of my grampa, 'cept its many times back. *grin* looked just like grampa frank though.
my mom comes from two virginian familys that can be traced far, far back.
speaking of the civil war, my grampa's grandma was about 12 when the war began. supposedly, she didn't know how to button her own shoes 'till she was eleven (yes, i mean exsactly what you think), aways wore a red silk petticoat and said "them d*** yankees" till the day she died. most of this must be taken with a grain of salt as the family has produced some sassy caracters, who know how to tell a tale.
another story involves two brothers (i think they were cousins to me, many times removed) who fought on oppisite sides of the war. when the came home to VA, they bought land and built their houses connected together with their bedrooms right next to each other. at night they would argue throught the wall about the war.

eliphalet
January 8, 2008, 01:22 AM
Both sides Confederate's, Fathers side in the Revolution, perhaps mothers also as they were here already.

Not sure this is gun related,
Grandmother (1889) was named after Bill Cody's daughter "Arta"
Went "West" in a wagon train from Texas to homestead in New Mexico and lived to see man land on the moon.

Charles Foxtrot
January 8, 2008, 01:57 AM
My father has an old cap & ball Colt pistol an ancestor carried during the Civil War. It has been passed father to son all these generations. I'm humbled to say that I'll be the next custodian of that heirloom.

Vern Humphrey
January 8, 2008, 10:44 AM
My four-times Great Grandfather was Thomas Clooney, "The Rebel Hand." He lit the signal fire in County Wexford to signal the Uprising of 1798, the Risin' of the Moon.

RangerGrant
January 8, 2008, 12:48 PM
I have a great, great uncle on my Dad's side that fought for the South. He was captured, then let go on his promise not to fight anymore. The North had no way to keep prisoners at that time. He went down the road, and joined up with another Reb outfit, and fought until the end of the war. According to family lore he was a real "pistol"!

My Mom has told me that as a little girl (1930's) that if some family came to a family function, others would not as there were still hard feelings regarding the war.

best, RG

gdvan01
January 10, 2008, 03:31 AM
My Great-Grandfather was a private with the Georgia State Troops, 1863-1865.

the lone gunman
January 10, 2008, 03:56 AM
My GGG Granpa on right , From Reynoldsville,Pa. Pic says about all I know, But have tried searching for more info.

skua44
January 10, 2008, 07:20 PM
Great-great grandfather with 86th Indiana at Chattanooga, Chickamauga, Franklin, Peachtree Creek, Lookout Mtn., Missionary Ridge and others I can't recall right now. Captured near Huntsville, AL and held in a POW camp till wars end. Camp flooded (Cahaba River near Birmingham, I think) and the POWs had to stand in waist deep water for 2 days. Led to an early death after the war. I remember seeing a photo of him with what looked like a 51 navy or maybe a Manhattan held across his chest. Dad said he remembered the pistol around the house when he was a kid. Have no idea where the pistol or photo are today.

Wifes great-great g-father was a POW camp commandant in Alabama but we haven't been able to find out where. Always thought it would be pretty ironic if the same place.

rugbyer81
January 10, 2008, 07:26 PM
This is from the memoirs of my direct ancestor, Lyman:

"I was born July 26, 1839 in Erie County, NY and lived there until the braking out of the war of 1861-65 when on September 16, 1861, I enlisted in Company D., 49th regiment, NY Volunteers and went to the war and was soon a partaker of the incidents of warfare. A bullet struck me in my chin passing up into my mouth thus rendering the eating of hard tack an unpleasant task. At another time I was put with others to digging trenches; an accident occurred which nearly proved serious. A man behind me in the trench, struck me across my back with his pick, accidentally of course. In the battle at Antietam I was wounded in the head and was unconscious for some time, when I came to the battle was over and dead soldiers all around me, but at last I was picked up and taken to the hospital; as soon as I recovered I was again at my post of duty. I received bullet wounds at other times, once in getting away from the enemy at Libby Prison by escaping between two guards, they fired a shot that entered the calf of my leg which I'll carry to the day of my death. I was discharged the 16th of December, 1862, on account of physical disability, and laid in the hospital at Annapolis Junction for three months from chronic difficulties, caused from exposure in camp and field."

I have four other ancestors who fought in the war, all of whom for the North.

The Hillbilly
January 10, 2008, 07:29 PM
My family had two relatives in two different Texas Cavalry units. They were part of Walkers GreyHound Division. They participated in stopping the Yankees from invading through the Red River in 1864.

birdbustr
January 10, 2008, 07:43 PM
I did some research in the Georgia Civil War Roster when I was going to the University of South Carolina. My Surname Carswell had 13 Confederates listed from the same general area of Waynesboro, which is where my grandfather grew up and by his accounts to this day "all Carswells are related in Georgia somehow". Of the 13 none died in action, but there was one amputee of the arm and one of the leg, and one died of illness while in Florida. The most notible ancestor was a Brigadier General Rueben Carswell who was a Cavalry Officer who lead the so called Rueben's Raiders.

4v50 Gary
January 10, 2008, 09:30 PM
Birdbustr - Originally a 2nd Lt. in the 20th Georgia Infantry, Caswell rose to Capt. of 48th Georgia's Co C. Promoted to Lt. Col. (48th Georgia), he fought at the Seven Days' Battles and Chancellorsville. He resigned his commission when he was elected to office. Later, he was appointed a Georgia Militia General (as opposed to a Confederate commissioned) by Governor Brown. He led his cavalry forces in a delaying action against Sherman when the latter was marching on Atlanta. After Atlanta fell, his men continued harrassing Sherman during the March to the Sea. Check out Bruce S. Allardice's More Generals in Gray, pages 52-53.

greenflash107
January 10, 2008, 10:06 PM
I live in Chickamauga GA, on the bank of the mighty Chickamauga creek. The battlefield is 5 minutes away from my home. All of the streets in this little town are named for Civil War General's. Lookout Mtn, Chattanooga, Missionary Ridge are all places I drive through on a weekly basis. So much history, all around us here. If you ever take a trip through North GA, please stop and visit the Battlefield and the Museum, if you have any interest in the Civil war. Beautiful Place

AgAce
January 10, 2008, 10:08 PM
My great great great grandfather and his 5 brothers from Alabama fought for the CSA. He died at Vicksburg, one of his brothers died as a POW at Fort Delaware, and the history isn't clear on the other four. Two were assumed to have wandered out west after the war, and were never heard from again. Not uncommon at the time, my great great grandfather (then age 3) was brought to Texas with his mother, aunt and uncle at the end. On the Yankee side, I had an ancestor that apparently made a living by enlisting for other persons. After several weeks, he'd leave, then let someone else pay him to join.

Spot77
January 12, 2008, 11:41 PM
I posted this in another thread too, so if you read both threads, I apologize for the double tap......

I'm a direct descendant of the first civil war amputee, James Hanger.

http://wesclark.com/jw/first_amputee.html

Lambo
January 13, 2008, 12:14 AM
My Great Great Grand Father, Colonel John Sommer,
http://www.2ndmdinfantryus.org/hist.html

FMJMIKE
January 13, 2008, 12:23 AM
My Great grandfather, James Polk Moon, was a Civil War veteran. He fought for the South in Virginia. I was told he went in when he was 16 years old and was discharged due to illness. I was also told he was a messenger for Robert E. Lee. He passed down his rifle, pistol and sword none of which I have possession. I do have his watch and a medal from the Civil War.

Owen Sparks
January 13, 2008, 01:26 AM
My great great grandfather fought for the South and was the company blacksmith. His was in the last unit to surender east of the Mississippi, and escorted Jefferson Davis when he fled Richmond before it fell. I also had a relative killed in the Revolution.

scurtis_34471
January 13, 2008, 01:30 PM
I need to get names and dates, but I know that my grandmother is a registered member of Daughters of the Confederacy. Interestingly enough, my children also qualify for the Mayflower Society and Daughters of the American Revolution.

dirty dave
January 15, 2008, 02:00 AM
My great great granfather Francis Marion Hassell fought for south in 24th Tennessee infantry from 8-24-61 to 4-18-63.they saw many great battles.Probally have more but this one I know for sure.His grandfather was in revolutionary war wounded twice [battle of Guilford] taken prisoner by british in charleston.The name Francis Marion from a revolutionary war commander of his.

WildeKurt
January 15, 2008, 09:50 AM
My family by way of my mom's side was from the Caroll County, VA area. Moved up north after the war. Had kin on both sides.

Draven32
January 15, 2008, 10:07 AM
Carroll County, huh?

My family used to own most of that county.

WildeKurt
January 15, 2008, 10:16 AM
Draven, maybe we're kin, lol.

Vern Humphrey
January 15, 2008, 10:40 AM
The name Francis Marion from a revolutionary war commander of his
Francis Marion, the Swamp Fox.

Ash
January 15, 2008, 10:43 AM
My city is named after Columbia, SC. The County is named for the Swamp Fox because the settlers really liked him. And, given it was before the War of 1812, he was still well liked when they left.

Ash

SSN Vet
January 15, 2008, 10:54 AM
My daughters are eligable for membership in both the Daughters of the American Revolution with three ancestors traced and the Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War (GAR spin off org.), with two ancestors traced.

All on my Dad's side.

Had to do my Pappy proud and join the ranks of "Fighting Perrys", though Dad himself was to young for WWII and 4F for Korea. :eek:

jjbduke2004
January 15, 2008, 10:59 AM
My great-great-grandfather's older brother served with Co. E, 158th Pennsylvania (Franklin County/Chambersburg area). He died at New Bern, NC of malaria. It took six weeks for the body to be shipped home.

No guns were inherited from him. However, we do have an antique longrifle.

There is a story from another branch of the family, that an abandoned Springfield or Enfield was picked up from one side or the other during one of the battles fought near Chambersburg. Unfortunately, it was sold many, many years ago.

jaysouth
January 15, 2008, 11:19 AM
I have numerous uncles and grandfathers that served their cause during that sad time. One however stands out.

This is a deep dark family secret that is not often discussed, and heretofore, never outside of the family circle.

We had an uncle, "Uriah W", who was a petty thief who was run out of Virginia. He settled in Western Tennessee and made a living raiding gardens and stealing chickens and picking pockets in crowds. When the war broke out, he tried to join the local Tennessee militia. However, his reputation being known, and the fact that he was considered feeble minded from syphilis, resulted in his application being rejected. He tried other units to no avail. About this time, he left in the middle of the night to escape an arrest warrant. He fled to Illinois to escape a lengthy stretch at a penal farm.

About three days after arriving, he was drafted into the union army. It is thought that he was killed at some minor skirmish in Kentucky. We think he might have deserted and fled elsewhere. The family, to this day, wishes that the grave could be found so we can be sure that he is really dead. There are no known artifacts from his existance. Were there any swords, pistols, watches or gold teeth, they would probably have been plundered from bodies of war dead. Yep, he was that kinda guy.

There being a silver lining in every cloud, this awful blot on our family's honor might come in helpful at reparations time however. How can any of our family be assessed reparations to give to slave descendants? After all, "one of our family shed blood and gave his precious life to defeat slavery." LOL

beemerphile
January 15, 2008, 03:50 PM
My great great grandfather, Col. James Sheldon Dickinson, (January 18, 1818 July 23, 1882) was a member of the Alabama State Senate from 1853 to 1855 and represented Alabama in the Second Confederate Congress.

He personally sponsored Company E of the 24th Alabama Infantry - also known as the Dickinson Guards.

If you enjoyed reading about "Descendants of Civil War Veterans" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!