Couldn't help myself

PDA

sumpnz
July 30, 2005, 05:37 PM
I'd been trying to talk myself out it since the last gunshow a week ago. I'd been casually looking for a Sig P245, and happened across one on the table of a local dealer that was used but appeard almost in unfired condition for $525+tax ($567 OTD). About the worst possible thing to happen at a gunshow, since I knew I really couldn't justify the expense.

So, after trying, and failing to resist I went ahead and bought it (though I did make sure the car passed emmissions testing first). I did get my wife some flowers too.

I am not an addict. I can stop whenever I want to. No really, I can.

If you enjoyed reading about "Couldn't help myself" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Eightball
July 30, 2005, 05:53 PM
I am not an addict. I can stop whenever I want to. No really, I can.Sure you can :D . So can all of us :rolleyes: . But, the question is, why would you want to :confused: :D ?

sumpnz
July 30, 2005, 06:42 PM
Pics of the new toy.

ozarkhillbilly
July 30, 2005, 09:30 PM
Good looking gun, would you give us a range report on it after you shoot it. Iam looking at one too but I've not talked myself into it yet. I would appiciate it if you would tell us more after you have given it a try.

Thanks

sumpnz
July 30, 2005, 10:48 PM
No problem. I'm hoping to make it to the range tomorrow, and I've got about 1/2 a box of .45 WWB ammo that I can use with the P245. The main purpose of the range trip, though, will be load development work for my 6.5x55mm CZ 550.

sumpnz
July 31, 2005, 09:24 PM
Well, I took the Sig P245 out for a date this morning. All I had to give her was WWB 230gr hardball, but I've found, at least with my .40S&W Ruger that the WWB is very consistent ammo. The chrony and target results have certainly borne that out (for both guns).

Temp was 93.5F, 58%RH, elevation 2100MSL, chrony was ~11' from muzzle.

For 24 shots (4 mags):
Min: 738fps
Max: 808fps
Average: 786fps
Stdev: 13.5fps

Taking out the high and low shots:
Min: 771fps
Max: 802fps
Average: 787.5fps
Stdev: 7.97fps

Only had one malfunction and that was before I started chronograhping the loads. I think it was an out of spec round because it went partway into battery before jamming. When test driveing a friend's Springfield Ultra Compact I had previously found an out of spec round (the brass was slightly crippled by the bullet during seating - I thought I had gotten rid of it, but maybe not). All subsequent shooting was uneventfull in that respect.

Accuracy was good. At 12 or so yards I was putting most of the 24 rounds that were chrono'd into a 3-4 inch circle.

Overall, a very nice pistol. I will certainly not be taking this one back. Now I just need to figure out which defensive ammo to use in it and get a holster ordered. Once that is done I'll have a very nice carry rig.

CentralTexas
July 31, 2005, 10:30 PM
if there was a 12 step program for us, how long before we turned it into a gun swap meet? ;)
CT

sumpnz
August 1, 2005, 12:53 AM
if there was a 12 step program for us, how long before we turned it into a gun swap meet? Somewhere between the introduction and the start of Step 1.

If you enjoyed reading about "Couldn't help myself" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!