Gun Mfrs New Marketing Efforts

PDA

Ironbarr
July 31, 2005, 12:05 PM
Going all out for the younger set - (seven safeties?) - and women... hunters are aging and don't buy much (guess).

http://epilot2.hamptonroads.com/Repository/ml.asp?Ref=VmlyZ2luaWFuUGlsb3QvMjAwNS8wNy8zMSNBcjA0NzAw

http://epilot2.hamptonroads.com/Repository/ml.asp?Ref=VmlyZ2luaWFuUGlsb3QvMjAwNS8wNy8zMSNBcjA1MTAw

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Mfrs New Marketing Efforts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
J Miller
July 31, 2005, 12:26 PM
Seven safeties? External and internal? More junque to malfunction. My revolvers only have one safety - ME.

As for why the older generations aren't buying more guns - well it's because we don't want the gadgets, widgets, locks, cross bolt safeties, rebounding hammers, weird psychedelic colors, and general crap that the gun makers are offering now. Most of us still want quality, steel, wood, and simplicity. Doesn't matter if it's stainless or blued, we want good fit and finish and we want it to work properly out of the box. We aren't getting that, so we go buy older used guns that are built the way we want.

Get it gun makers, it's not because we are too old or not hunting as much, it's because you aren't making what we want. So we aren't buying.

Joe

Justin
July 31, 2005, 02:36 PM
The manufacturers are simply catering to what the public wants. If this translates into more people joining the gun culture, I can only perceive it as being a good thing.

Zundfolge
July 31, 2005, 02:45 PM
Someone needs to get to that woman pictured in the article ... clearly trying to shoot right handed when she's left eye domniate.

Also, if Sig honestly thinks anyone is going to CCW that fat brick (the Mauser M2), they gotta find a way to slim it down (Glocks have thinner grips).

Overall an interesting article ... although its pretty clear to me that Mr. Fritz isn't on our side.

AF_INT1N0
July 31, 2005, 03:32 PM
I've always said the the best way to preserve the right is to get the kids interested. Women too.

The more people know the less they fear.

Adding more gunowners to the equation can only help us out in the long run.

ctdonath
July 31, 2005, 10:45 PM
Problem is that guns are one of the most durable goods in an economic world built on cheap junk and planned rapid obselescense. Cars wear out, computers can't keep up, cameras are cheaper to replace than fix, stereos are nearly a commodity ... but guns are solidly built expensive machines which, short of extremely heavy use, just don't wear out and do the job right - ergo, other than a very small sub-market of devoted hobbyists, people buy one or two guns and are set for life.

nomadboi
August 1, 2005, 01:43 PM
Yeah, but how many of you can say you have as many cars as you have guns?

I know that when I was looking to buy my first firearm, the multiple safety features on the Steyr M series were a good selling point to my wife, who is not too keen on having guns around the house. None of the have to be used except the one on the trigger (Glock style), but if or when I want to, there's also the manual safety and the internal lock.

I generally keep it unlocked and unloaded, inside an electronic combo safe with a loaded mag next to it, spare ammo locked in a separate box in a (locked) room with other non-baby-safe toys.

For what it's worth, I've been pretty happy with my M40. Need to find some kinda tritium paint or something though, since I like the trapezoid sights but want something more visible in the dark.

Andrew Rothman
August 1, 2005, 06:24 PM
Someone needs to get to that woman pictured in the article ... clearly trying to shoot right handed when she's left eye domniate.

No way. I'm left-handed and right-eyed, and that's how I shoot pistol. It's called "cross dominance" and it's not a problem. A little tip o' the head takes care of it.

On the other hand, the picture caption says:

Women and novice gun users are squarely in the gun industry’s sites.

Um, those would be sights, actually. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Mfrs New Marketing Efforts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!