Minn. Woman attacked by Black Bear

PDA

Mannlicher
July 31, 2005, 03:18 PM
As if a prudent person needed another reason to take the .44 Mag when walking around in the woods. This lady evidently did not share that thought.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,164269,00.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Minn. Woman attacked by Black Bear" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Cosmoline
July 31, 2005, 03:44 PM
There are more and more black bears wandering in and around new suburban developments in the US, and most of the locals have no idea what they're dealing with. THere are several living around a recent reitrement development where my parents live in Oregon, and it makes me nervous to see how lightly people treat them. A full grown adult male probably isn't going to get attacked, but black bears have a very long history of turning predatory on small women and children. Yet folks still leave bird suet and garbage all over.

Parruthead
July 31, 2005, 04:06 PM
Yeah my folks think im crazy for carrying everytime I'm in the Wood in Northern Wisconsin . Last Fall a Logger was almost lunch for a pack of wolves. I figure as the saying goes "rather have it...... you know the rest..

Cosmoline
July 31, 2005, 04:22 PM
I've run into a lot of them on the local trails and never had a problem, but they are always worth keeping two eyes on. Because I guarantee whether you see them or not, THEY are keeping two eyes and a sensitive nose on you. What folks see as "cute" behavior such a standing up and eyeing you is the bear's way of determining whether you're stomach size or not. If you're taller than the bear and bigger, they generally leave you alone. If you're smaller and unprotected, sometimes they go away, and sometimes they don't go away. You don't need to shoot them on sight, but it's a good idea to be ready--and it's a VERY good idea to ditch the suet and keep the garbage secured.

WT
July 31, 2005, 04:36 PM
Last year 3 NJ Boy Scouts were attacked by 2 black bears. The scouts had candy in their day packs.

Even the bears are learning to 'gang up' on their victims.

black bear
July 31, 2005, 04:53 PM
Two years ago, one black bear medium size, dispute me the right of way in a narrow trail that was between my cabin and my fishing hole.

This way at night and what save me from getting hurt was my quick deployment of my .45 and illumination from my MAG 951 lumens flashlight (bear was blinded by the light) The wind was blowing my scent to him and he was well aware of what I was, besides I was screaming to the top of my lungs what I thought his mother was!!

My wife and my 10 years old son (at the time) had a similar experience in Maine, in 2005, late at night, they both had 30-06's with TAM III lights under the forearm, but this was after hunting hours, and the bear didn't attack.

I don't carry a .45 in the woods anymore, now I use a .44 Magnum at the very least.

black bear

jdkelly
July 31, 2005, 07:09 PM
black bear,

OFF TOPIC SORRY

Can you attach lights to hunting rifles in Maine?

Respectfully,

jdkelly

walking arsenal
July 31, 2005, 08:02 PM
Heres what the we reported on the subject, i work for an ABC afiliate here in duluth. www.wdio.com

It's a pretty big deal here.

AUTHORITIES ARE SEARCHING FOR A BLACK BEAR THAT ATTACKED A CARLTON COUNTY WOMAN YESTERDAY. FIFTY-YEAR-OLD MARY MUNN IS IN GOOD CONDITION AT ST. MARY'S HOSPITAL.

MUNN LIVES IN HOLYOKE, A SMALL, RURAL TOWN THIRTY MILES SOUTHWEST OF DULUTH. AUTHORITIES SAY SHE WAS WALKING HER DOG, WHEN THE ATTACK HAPPENED. SHE THEN HAD TO WALK A QUARTER MILE HOME, TO CALL FOR HELP.

NOW THE SEARCH IS ON FOR THE BEAR. CONSERVATION OFFICERS WANT TO FIND THE BEAR QUICKLY, AND FIND OUT WHY IT ATTACKED MUNN. THEY SAY IT'S VERY RARE FOR BLACK BEARS TO ATTACK, UNPROVOKED.

THE DNR BROUGHT OUT TWO TRAPS TODAY. THEY FILL A COFFEE CAN WITH BACON GREASE AND CARAMEL ROLLS, AND WAIT FOR THE BEAR. ONCE THEY CATCH THE RIGHT BEAR, IT WILL BE DESTROYED AND TESTED

Relax guys, i just run the cameras.

Browns Fan
July 31, 2005, 08:30 PM
*sheeple mode on*
But, but, but they're so cuuute and cuddly!
*sheeple mode off*
:banghead:

308win
July 31, 2005, 08:40 PM
THEY FILL A COFFEE CAN WITH BACON GREASE AND CARAMEL ROLLS
There's that coffee can again - they will get everyone in trouble with the law, even bears. :what: :p

carebear
July 31, 2005, 08:57 PM

Majic
July 31, 2005, 09:40 PM
She walked a 1/4 mile back to her home to call for help, but they found her lying in her front yard. :scrutiny:

black bear
July 31, 2005, 09:49 PM
jdKelly,

During the day I hunt with my mormal hardware, when I walk out at night I want to see as well as any bear in the woods, I use flashlight and mounted weapons lights in my rifle and even lasers.

I have had problems before, and I don't like to be handicaped

My life is more important that any bear's life

regards
black bear

black bear
July 31, 2005, 10:13 PM
jdkelly,

I am sorry I feel so strongly about the issue of bears attacking people.

Here is N. Y. it is not legal to use a light in your gun after dark, and the hunting regulation even specify that you should use a small AA flashlight to walk out of the woods.
Except when engaging in coyote or Raccoon hunting.

If I remenber correctly in Maine you can not have a gun at all if you are in the woods using a light. I have helped the Outfitter look for wounded bears with lights but not gun (I did carry a BIG knife)

When on my own or to protect the life of my wife and son I will carry anything
regardless of what the hunting regulations said.
I just don't want to be another victim.

Best regards
black bear

Standing Wolf
July 31, 2005, 10:50 PM
CONSERVATION OFFICERS WANT TO FIND THE BEAR QUICKLY, AND FIND OUT WHY IT ATTACKED MUNN.

They're probably going to send it to Guantanimo. The A.C.L.U. will have a screeching fit, of course.

Majic
August 1, 2005, 12:17 AM
ONCE THEY CATCH THE RIGHT BEAR, IT WILL BE DESTROYED AND TESTED
And how will they determine if it's the right bear? Interogate it under bright lights, place it in a lineup with other bears, or submit it to a polygraph test? :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Minn. Woman attacked by Black Bear" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!