Keeping a rifle as handy as a handgun

PDA

mrstang01
March 23, 2003, 11:28 AM
A group of us are talking about a trip to Canada for hunting in the fall, where of course, those of us who normally carry handguns in the woods will be unable to.

I'm looking for descriptions of the best way to keep one's rifle as handy as a handgun. I normally wear a "Keith Special" when in the woods, hunting or not, and with a rifle, I find myself with a tendency to sit the rifle down, and wander off from it quite a ways while doing chores around camp.

What I'm looking for is the best way to avoid needing a firearm and not having one in arm's reach.

Thanks!

Michael

If you enjoyed reading about "Keeping a rifle as handy as a handgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Edward429451
March 23, 2003, 11:41 AM
What I'm looking for is the best way to avoid needing a firearm and not having one in arm's reach.

Uhh, move off the planet? (Sorry).

I find myself with a tendency to sit the rifle down, and wander off from it quite a ways while doing chores around camp.

Don't do that!!! Learn new habits. Buy a lighter rifle if necessary.

Marko Kloos
March 23, 2003, 12:19 PM
Learn to carry the rifle on your back regardless of what you do, or get a hands-free assault sling.

Soap
March 23, 2003, 06:46 PM
For 90% of all scenarios I just African carry. But if I'm going to be bending or crouching frequently I do American carry.

gryphon
March 23, 2003, 07:11 PM
Hate to ask this, but what is African carry?

AK103K
March 23, 2003, 07:34 PM
If you want to get into the habit, do it around the house before you go. Just carry it everywhere and experiment with what works best for you. I find that just slinging it over your shoulder really only works if your not "doing" anything. Slung across the back seems to work best, but you need to get used to it and watch your corners, etc. Types of rifles and slings differ and may need adapting. Watch the African or muzzle down carry, especially if you stoop or kneel. You need to watch the muzzle doesnt jam into the ground and get plugged. If you get used to "always" having it and picking it up, it will become a natural thing in a short time.

P95Carry
March 23, 2003, 07:43 PM
Never had to try and do this sorta substitution but .... reckon I'd American carry with a short piece .... for me that'd be my Win 94 in .357 mag .... quite light and short enough not to foul up on every damn thing!:p

3 gun
March 23, 2003, 08:17 PM
The best way,I'd talk about hunting somewhere else. Montana maybe. Why help their economy? How long before they start sharing their US gun registrations with our government? I can't think of any reason to spend my money in Canada. Just me.

PJR
March 23, 2003, 08:42 PM
3 gun:

Before you get all onery about Canada here are some points to ponder.

Gun laws in Canada are a pain but it's easier for an American to bring a gun into Canada than it is for a Canadian to bring a gun into the United States. You can do it at the border, I have to file a Form 6 with the ATF and get a hunting licence or have a personal invitation to a shoot. Time of processing is about 6 to 8 weeks.

Gun laws in Canada are national not regional. This means that it is easier to own a handgun in Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal than it is in Chicago or Washington, DC. The handgun laws here are about the same as NYC. The California laws are very similar to ours and, in some cases, worse.

Registration? Your government wants mine registered before I even get there, even if I never make the trip.

And I can own a 14" pump gun and a 25 magazine for a rimfire rifle without worrying about pre-ban or AOW rules.

Paul

Soap
March 23, 2003, 08:59 PM
gryphon- Don't beat yourself up, asking is better than being GSC about it! :D African carry is when you carry muzzle down on your left shoulder. The scope would be rearward, and the magazine floorplate would be forward. Check this out:

http://www.olegvolk.net/newphotos/rifledeployment.rm

scotjute
March 24, 2003, 11:12 AM
Make your camp/etc carry rifle one of the light and handy pistol caliber carbines.

mrstang01
March 24, 2003, 01:35 PM
I've actually got a short .44 Mag lever action that will be great for the camp gun, and African carry is probably what I'm going to use.

El Tejon
March 24, 2003, 02:02 PM
African carry is when you grab up Louis Awerbuck and run around the range with him.:D

mrstand01, brasshopper, allow the weapon to become one with you. As Uncle Walt suggests carry it around the house, cleaning the bathroom, cooking, laundry. You will develop presence and muzzle awareness.

When you snatch the .308 cartridge from my hand, you may leave the temple [gong sounds].

mrstang01
March 24, 2003, 02:15 PM
Thank you El Tejon, oh Brasster. :D

Do you have a sling material suggestion for this unworthy one? Leather or nylon, or something else all together?

Michael

Edward429451
March 24, 2003, 05:10 PM
You must make your own sling from the lilies of the field, as others before you have done...

Brasster, how come I had to snatch a .22 short from your hand and he gets to snatch a big .308?:D

El Tejon
March 24, 2003, 07:09 PM
[El Tejon sitting cross-legged on office floor in robe inhaling way too much incense]:

Michael, we are fortunate that there are many good slings out there. I prefer leather, Tucker or Milt Sparks. YMMV.

Ed, that is because you have discovered a tactical truth: firearms are only tools. Means to your end, brasshooper (also the definition of tactical). Each situation is different. The answer is always, "it depends." [gong sounds, El Tejon looks through desk for Chinese take out menu]

bad_dad_brad
March 24, 2003, 08:14 PM
Carrying my rifle around with me (especially around the house, or in the timber) is easily done if there are lots of things to hang on to. Unless I am going to hike a bit, I disdain a sling. So, I recommend an AR15. Those Marine generals can say all they want, that dang thing has a carrying handle and I use it as such! I am consistantly amazed how easy an AR is to tote around, especially a light one.

treeprof
March 25, 2003, 01:35 PM
A friend of mine in AK who does a lot of fly fishing float trips in remote areas had his wife (a very talented seamstress) fashion a neoprene scabbard and nylon webbing harness that he wears slung quiver-style on his back. His pistolgrip Mossberg rides there, doesn't interfere w/his casting etc., and he's pretty quick on the draw with it. The buttstock on your rifle may conk you in the head with such a thing, tho.

El Tejon
March 25, 2003, 02:10 PM
bad, yeah, but who's got three hands.:D

mrstang01
August 19, 2003, 09:37 PM
Just bouncing this back up as the time gets closer, to see if anybody else has any more suggestions.

TimH
August 19, 2003, 10:11 PM
Marko Kloos mentioned back carry. Just curious...Is there a "rifle holster" that you could wear on you back? Maybe for a shorter pack rifle or something.

Ian
August 19, 2003, 11:14 PM
I recently picked up a Mountain Stalker tac sling. I've got it on my Enfield at the moment, and I can use it to wear the rifle like a backpack, muzzle up or muxzzle down. It also works for American, African, and chest carry positions. You can get one from Cabelas here. (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/vertical-item.jhtml?id=0005813222586a&navAction=jump&navCount=0&indexId=&podId=0005813&catalogCode=ID&parentId=&parentType=&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml.1_A&_DAV=search&hasJS=true) (they've got some pictures of them there as well).

JShirley
August 19, 2003, 11:24 PM
Before joining the service, I never cared much for chest carry, but it does work well with a short, light carbine.

Rattler
August 19, 2003, 11:51 PM
My honest opinon is this:

http://www.e-yardsaleonline.com/images/ForendPistolGrip_ongun.jpg

Carry this from a sling over the shoulder so the middle of the weapon is belt high and under you're arm with the grips facing to you're rear, and you can pop it up and be ready to send a round down-range in a second (with a little practice), no exaggeration. You may not already have this set-up, but its well worth buying.I carry this when I go hiking. I've never needed it thank God, but it sure puts you at ease knowing its there. It's light and after carring it for a few hours, you will hardly be aware that you are carring it at all. This of course does not answer your not needing a firearm question, but up there, who knows what you may run into. :confused:

Rattler

If you enjoyed reading about "Keeping a rifle as handy as a handgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!