Beretta Elite or Glock 34 for Production?? Tell me..

PDA

Island Beretta
August 2, 2005, 12:05 PM
Trying to decide on one for Production..

any insights?/

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta Elite or Glock 34 for Production?? Tell me.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Skunkabilly
August 2, 2005, 01:58 PM
Are 34s Production legal?

Duke of Lawnchair
August 2, 2005, 02:54 PM
Are 34s Production legal?

Sho' are.

Krag
August 2, 2005, 04:18 PM
I have used both extensively and while I think the Beretta is a much better feeling (ergonomics) pistol, I do shoot my G34 a little bit better. But I now use a Para 18.9 LDA which I feel is superior to either of the above.

Try both and then choose.

Hoser
August 2, 2005, 06:04 PM
34 for me. Tried the Elite II, Steyr M-9, LDA, and G-17. The G-17 is second, the para dead last. Too much trigger travel, even though it was well under 2 pounds.

If the Steyr had more sight radius, I would go with it over anything. Now I use it mostly for IDPA and a backpacking gun.

Did shoot a CZ SP-01 a while back. Very cool... And tempting. If I ever get to stay stateside long enough, I may get one to play with. This war has really cut into my shooting, at paper targets that is.

Skunk, the 34 is USPSA legal, but not IPSC legal.

Tom Freeman
L-2598

albanian
August 2, 2005, 06:26 PM
That is a hard call. I recently tried a G-34 and I was pretty impressed. I have been a Beretta fan for quite a while and I don't think you could go wrong with an Elite but you really need to try both because they are very different guns.

Buy both and sell me the one you don't want! ;)

Krag
August 2, 2005, 10:26 PM
Hoser - for an old timey revolver shooter like me the Para LDA is a dream come true. I shoot it better than my single action Para 16.40 Limited.

atek3
August 2, 2005, 11:46 PM
http://www.canyon-creek.com/images/XD_new.jpg
Rich Dettlehouser over at Canyon Creek works over XD's into fantastic firearms for production.
http://www.canyon-creek.com/xd.htm

With his 2 pound competition trigger job, shortened reset, and overtravel stop, the gun has the best trigger in production. In addition, the ergonomics of the XD are quite good, fitting most hands out of the box. Addition of grip tape, fiber optic sights, and a stainless steel guide rod, and you have a very competitive piece.

atek3

PS between the beretta and G34... G35, downloaded to make minor. Minor 40 is VERY soft shooting.

eerw
August 3, 2005, 01:54 AM
Lots of choices out there for a production gun..

I have gotten to try a lot of guns for production..I have been through a G17, Beretta E2, Steyr M9, G34 with a Vanek trigger, CZ75b and a CZ SP01..I have also had the chance to shoot a buddies Para LDA, a Sig 226ST , XD Tac in .40 and G24..

The E2 and the LDA were troublesome for me because I got short fingers..so the DA first shot was not good for me..the G34 was great but I the grip angle took a lot of training to get it to point right and then caused me to do a lot of retraining when going back to the 1911/STI/SV pattern gun...the gun is also harder to reflexly reload..after a lot of work and really looking the mag in..you can be quick..but I find the XD, the CZ and the SIG faster to reload..

I have settled onto the CZ SP01 for now..the gun points well and shoots very accurately..the action is smooth and light..and causes me no problem if I transition back to the 1911..reloads are smooth and effortless..

If I were choosing again..I would be looking at the CZ, the XD, SIG226 and the Tanfoglio production.

anyway...that is my experience..I have relatively small hands, short fingers..a person with bigger hands, longer fingers and more dexterity will have completely different take on each gun..

good luck..it is pretty cool that there are many choices for a good competitive USPSA production gun.. :)

Island Beretta
August 3, 2005, 11:29 AM
I have tried both.. here is what my take has been..

E2: feels better in the hand and allows me more flexibility in my index, recoils 'nicer', better pointability. Can always pick it up and the sights are dead on..

34: can't seem to shoot it as fast as the E2- somehow the recoil action is a little more ragged than the E2 esp. when tracking that front sight, but transitions are faster, a lot more options than the E2, very accurate..

can't have both..

BTW, tried the XD, just didn't like how it felt in my hand- bore axis felt high, almost Sig-ish..

eerw
August 3, 2005, 12:32 PM
IB..

from you description..I would go with the E2..because of the better sight alignment, pointability and recoil management..

production division is about shooting points, not who shoots fastest...and stages won't be won on faster transitions..but better points and better efficiency in movement and reloads..

Once the gun is setup..you don't need to change much...for the E2..just a good action job and maybe sights, some grip tape and life is good...

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta Elite or Glock 34 for Production?? Tell me.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!