Shilen vs. Hart Barrels?

PDA

nyresq
August 3, 2005, 04:36 AM
I have a rem 700 that I had rebarreled by Shilen that is a super tack driver, no complaints, fast service, and easy to deal with shilen when I had it done 4 years ago.

I have another rifle that I am going to have rebarreled and a friend suggested I look into a barrel from Hart. I know they have been around for a long time and looking at their website, they appear to be cheaper then shilen for a rebarrel job.

I am looking for opinions from people who have dealt with both companies or owned rifles that have these barrels. is Shilen worth the extra cost? Or is Hart just a better deal?

Please no "my brother-in-law's cousins uncle's room mate once had... blah blah". :rolleyes:
Just some experiences from both sides.

thanks in advance guys and girls.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shilen vs. Hart Barrels?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
db_tanker
August 3, 2005, 08:45 AM
I have a rebarreled Brno mauser. Used a Hart sporter contour barrel at a nice, 26" length. 308 Winchester and I have absolutely no complaints. A nickel can touch all three holes at 200 yards...no complaints.

I have shot another rebarrel, Obendorfer I believe, that had a Shilen bull barrel chambered for 25-06 and it was a tack driver as well.

I think, more than anything else, it isn't the barrel that you need to worry about...they are both high quality barrels and will do whatever it is you wish...it is the gunsmith that you choose to have add the ingredients together...thats where your questions should lay. Also what scope mount and scope, stock selection, trigger group. Those actually are more important than the barrel. I am sure that you can even get an Adams and Bennet barrel that can shoot like a sweetheart...if you have a decent 'smith working on it.

MTCW

dakotasin
August 3, 2005, 10:43 AM
you can't go wrong either way... guess if i had my druthers, it'd be lilja, then hart. nothing wrong w/ shilen, just not convinced they are better than anybody else.

Jim Watson
August 3, 2005, 02:32 PM
Well, it IS second hand, but a friend has a Hart .223 on a Remington action that I have seen to shoot extremely well. I have no experience or observation of a Shilen but as db says, it is a reputable brand and the installation counts for a lot.

Me?
I have an AR upper off at Krieger for installation of a new barrel... a 6.5" twist for the new 90 grain Sierra MK.

Strongbad
August 3, 2005, 02:44 PM
I don't have any experience with Hart, but I'm sure they're just as good as Shilen. I have a couple of Shilen barrels that were installed by Shilen. Installation was first rate, and accuracy is exceptional. I choose Shilen because they're in Texas (I can drive to them) and because they've been around a long time and have a good rep. Hart is equally good I'm sure, and I would probably go with them if they were 2 hours away and Shilen weren't. :) You can't go wrong with either. See which one best fits your budget, how fast they can get it done, do they offer the contour you want, finish you want, etc. etc. (assuming you're going to have them do the install).

nyresq
August 4, 2005, 03:00 AM
I was going to have them do the install... be it Hart or Shilen, which ever one I decide to go with.
They both true and square the action and lap in the lugs when the barrel is installed. I don't think it would make any sense to buy a barrel and have another smith do it because as soon as the barrel leaves the maker, its all your problem. If it comes back from Shilen or Hart and it doesn't chamber a round or the bolt doesn't extract a round or something, then it goes right back whether it needs a new barrel or just a reamer etc...

thanks for the help guys

TwoGun
August 5, 2005, 01:12 AM
Both Hart and Shilen are excellent barrel makers. My local gunshop leans toward Shilen however. The gunsmith there, and admittedly young fellow, but one who does excellent work, claims the Shilen barrels are a bit easier to cut proper chambers in.

Have you ever looked at a Buffalo Barrel? They are made just north of Gillette WY and I've been to thier admittedly small shop. The guy that make the barrels is a retired airline pilot and he only knows one way to do things. The best that he can. I had at one time hoped to get into the business with him but it just didn't work out. However at the time, about six year ago, I was convinced that you could not get a better barrel for the price.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shilen vs. Hart Barrels?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!