High Road to Gairloch...

PDA

deputy tom
December 24, 2002, 02:19 PM
is one of My favorite bagpipe tunes.What more appropriate name for My favorite gun forum than Highroad?Thanks Oleg for answering My Christmas prayer.tom.:D

If you enjoyed reading about "High Road to Gairloch..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
C.R.Sam
December 24, 2002, 02:31 PM
Several Scotts on the staff.

Well played pipes are a pleasure to the heart.

Badly played pipes will clear a county.

Sam

deputy tom
December 24, 2002, 02:33 PM
C.R.Sam,I've never had a complaint in 15 yrs of piping!tom.LOL.

Derek Zeanah
December 24, 2002, 02:34 PM
OK, I'm not a huge fan of bagpipes, but you're aroused my interest.

Anyone have a link to this tune?

deputy tom
December 24, 2002, 02:50 PM
Derek,It's in the Colege of Piping Tutor Book Vol.1.I tried a search on dogpile for links to printed music without avail.tom.

eoR
December 24, 2002, 03:36 PM
Derek,

You can hear it here:

http://www.mattpiper.com/mp3/High_Road.mp3

Devin

pax
December 25, 2002, 02:59 PM
That's a cool tune.

pax

I understand the inventor of the bagpipes was inspired when he saw a man carrying an indignant, asthmatic pig under his arm. Unfortunately, the manmade sound never equalled the purity of the sound achieved by the pig. -- Alfred Hitchcock

Blackhawk
December 25, 2002, 08:16 PM
C.R.Sam,I've never had a complaint in 15 yrs of piping!tom.LOL. But you've been armed, and the audience knew it! :D

pax
December 25, 2002, 08:53 PM
Blackhawk,

I'd never thought of that! That does explain the origins of the mandatory sgian-dubh, doesn't it?

pax

An armed society is a polite society. -- Robert Heinlein

nemesis
December 25, 2002, 08:54 PM
I'll shiver but accept it from a Sassenach or a Lowlander but there is a time that I will call some order. They are not "bagpipes"! If you're referring to the pipes, just say "pipes"!

Now play a few bars of Scotland The Brave while I remind you that "the Fletchers were the first to raise smoke and boil water on the braes of Glenorchy".

I've marched many mile with a rifle on my shoulder or with a column at my back and the pipes skirled every pace of the way. There's a darned good reason the Nazi Wermacht called the Highlanders "the Women From Hell" and besmirching the pipes is a good way to find out why.

And Pax, keep the "black knife" well hidden until needed.

Calanctus
December 25, 2002, 09:12 PM
Having attended a Scottish wedding as a guest, I will say sgian-dubh's make the garter toss much more interesting.

Plus, I love the new site!

PATH
December 25, 2002, 11:15 PM
Ah there is nothing so awe inspiring as the skirl of the pipes. It is heavens own music!

My favorite story about a piper is Robert Service's poem "MacPhearson Held the Floor". Well worth a read as it is humorous while holding more than a grain of truth to it!

deputy tom
December 26, 2002, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Blackhawk
But you've been armed, and the audience knew it! :D
Blackhawk,You're right.Skein dubh in the hose top,Seecamp in the sporran.But the main reason for lack of complaints is I've played many more funerals than weddings.Probably a 10 to 1 ratio!tom.;)

deputy tom
December 26, 2002, 11:09 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by nemesis
[B]I'll shiver but accept it from a Sassenach or a Lowlander but there is a time that I will call some order. They are not "bagpipes"! If you're referring to the pipes, just say "pipes"!

nemesis,You're correct in calling pipes pipes. Without knowing to what extent individuals have been exposed to Scottish culture I alway refer to piob mhor as bagpipes.I'm no lowlander.My family owned Blair Athol Castle prior to the '45.tom.

Blackhawk
December 26, 2002, 11:25 PM
Blackhawk,You're right.Skein dubh in the hose top,Seecamp in the sporran.But the main reason for lack of complaints is I've played many more funerals than weddings.Probably a 10 to 1 ratio!tom. Right....! Armed guy playing pipes at a funeral. That's sure going to bring out the mischief in a heckler, isn't it? :D

Seriously, I think pipes are like a violin. Played well, it's sheer beauty, but when not, it can torment the dead!

deputy tom
December 26, 2002, 11:38 PM
Yes,as I've said before.When they're playing right they're like angels singing.The instrument is very tempermental and changes in temperature,humidity,etc. will effect the sound.Unlike trumpets,etc., the pipes must be played several days in advance of any type of performance,unless You don't mind being embarrassed.:o tom.

4v50 Gary
December 27, 2002, 12:30 AM
Saddest thing you can hear is Amazing Grace on the pipes. It brings tears to the eyes.

gbelleh
December 27, 2002, 01:20 AM
deputy tom:
It's good to know there's another piper here! I keep a P-32 in the sporran myself. ;)

DadOfThree
December 27, 2002, 01:48 AM
But the main reason for lack of complaints is I've played many more funerals than weddings
I think Amazing Grace must have been written for the pipes. It sends shivers down my spine everytime I hear it, especially at a funeral.

deputy tom
December 27, 2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by gbelleh
deputy tom:
It's good to know there's another piper here! I keep a P-32 in the sporran myself. ;)

I didn't realize just how many Scots/Pipers there were on this board!tom.:eek:

Penman
December 27, 2002, 02:52 PM
I don't recall the source, but I remember reading an account of a battle in WWII, where the CO of an outnumbered British unit asked for support, needing "three tanks or one piper!"

If you enjoyed reading about "High Road to Gairloch..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!