DNA clears man convicted of rape

PDA

Beren
August 3, 2005, 07:29 PM
DNA test clears man after 20 years in jail Wrongly jailed for 20 years, man to go free

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05211/546262.stm

I'm going to have to seriously rethink my desire to see people executed for rape. Here's a guy who was proven guilty when it's now clear there was a reasonable doubt as to whether he committed the crime.

If you enjoyed reading about "DNA clears man convicted of rape" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Vitamin G
August 3, 2005, 10:51 PM
Hey, thats my co-worker's brother!

TallPine
August 3, 2005, 10:57 PM
A similar thing happened in Montana a while back

The guy had been in prison for 14 yrs IIRC

Standing Wolf
August 3, 2005, 11:33 PM
Until Doswell sent a letter to the Innocence Project, he could not get court permission to test the semen specimens taken after the rape, tests that can cost as much as $1,000 per item.

Twenty years in prison for want of a test that can cost as much as $1,000? How much was squandered on assault lawyers during that period?

in0de
August 3, 2005, 11:36 PM
This truly disturbs me. I can't imagine what those 20 years must have been like. I am roughly the age this man was when convicted and I can't fathom what it would be like to have your entire life as a young adult snatched away for something you didn't do. How is he now supposed to adjust back into society? Will the justice system do anything to help with that? I doubt it. Grrrr, don't even want to think about it anymore! :fire:

-lee

MechAg94
August 3, 2005, 11:43 PM
I would be curious to see what the evidence was on those cases compared to other cases.

boofus
August 3, 2005, 11:51 PM
It's nothing new. Eye-witness testimony in my opinion is not reliable evidence. What people saw and what they think they saw and what they say they saw are all different. I don't think anyone should be put on death row or life unless there is material evidence of some kind.

Simply having an officer or housewife say they saw so-and-so do it is not good enough and leads to false imprisonment like that story.

On the other hand... If the evidence proves the perp did the crime, they should be put to death immediately. Like that creep that stole the gun from the officer at the Atlanta courthouse and shot the judge and a few other people all captured on video tape. Why is that piece of crap even wasting taxpayer money and public oxygen? He even had the gall to plead not guilty.
:fire:

If you enjoyed reading about "DNA clears man convicted of rape" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!