Political ad question

PDA

Fletchette
August 4, 2005, 03:02 AM
During the last election (or maybe the one before?), I saw two television ads made in the same way, but have been unable to find out who made them or where I can view them.

The first had a scene of people praying, and a narrator talking about Freedom of Religion, and how we take it for granted. At the end of the ad, the people in the "church" leave by exiting a trap door in a floor, giving you the strong impression that they are being persecuted.

The second shows a man walking in a library, unable to find a book. He ends up going to the librarian and asking if they have a particular book. The librarian scowls and says, "we don't have that book anymore". The man turns to leave, but is stopped by two men in suits that arrive abruptly (giving you the impression that they were from the governemnt), and ask the man to come with them.

Both were pretty powerful ads, but I cannot find them anywhere. Anyone know anything about them?

If you enjoyed reading about "Political ad question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Justin
August 4, 2005, 07:51 PM
IIRC, they were created by the AD Council at the behest of the fed.gov.

I never saw the one with the church, but did see the one with the guy in the library, and thought it ironic given that its airing roughly coincided with the debate over whether the feds should be allowed to keep track of what books you check out via the PATRIOT Act.

Delightful bit of well done propaganda.

Fletchette
August 4, 2005, 09:37 PM
I am glad that you saw the irony also!

It would be wonderful to use .gov funded ads to fight laws like the Patriot Act!

If you enjoyed reading about "Political ad question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!