Q. For The Wilson Combat Guys ...

PDA

30 cal slob
August 4, 2005, 10:55 AM
I have a dumb question for you.

What do you guys make of the serrations on the top of the slides? This is a feature offered on some 1911's (notably Wilson) and I'm told this is to help with getting your sights on point faster.

Have any of you found this to be truly value-added?

I mean, I'm blind as a bat but I can still make out three dots to hit the hole at 25 feet without 'um. (Never shot one - haven't found a buddy who will let me shoot his. :D )

Thanks!

-slob

If you enjoyed reading about "Q. For The Wilson Combat Guys ..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
August 4, 2005, 11:59 AM
I think serrations on the slide top are a waste of the gunsmith's time and my money. I don't see the top of the slide as I present the gun on target, I am putting the front sight on target.

Furthermore, I think serrations on the back of the slide are outright ugly and if you gave me a gun with them I would pay to have them removed.

moredes
August 4, 2005, 12:09 PM
Haven't got a clue what "value-added" means.

I have had several different 1911's; my guess is 50% of the 1911's I've owned had serrated slides. On two of the pure gunsmithed custom guns I've had done, I elected to do it to one years ago, before this modification became 'standard' on some of the higher-priced (limited) production guns. I'd never seen a serrated slide before, and I thought it might actually help in sight recovery during double-taps and moving to the next targets.

From that first experiment, my own conclusion is that serrations are strictly cosmetic. I don't acquire the sight picture any faster for having serrations. Even when shooting into a 4 o'clock sun, I haven't noticed a reduction in glare; but then again every 1911 I've ever seen is bead blasted on top to reduce glare. Even though half my 1911's may have had them, I only deliberately chose that modification once; all the rest of the guns came that way by default.

30 cal slob
August 4, 2005, 01:07 PM
thx guys, that's what I suspected.

Lot of marketing going on these days with the higher-end 1911's!

-slob

ClarkEMyers
August 4, 2005, 01:38 PM
Read Bill Wilson on the topic in his book on Combat 45's.

P95Carry
August 4, 2005, 05:14 PM
Think this will sit better over in autoloaders :)

Black Majik
August 4, 2005, 11:04 PM
Well...

from what I've heard the slide serrations on the topstrap is used to reduce glare from the sun.

Double Naught Spy
August 5, 2005, 09:16 AM
I just looked through the Wilsson Combat 2005 catalog and I don't see any guns being offered with serrations on top of the slide.

If such are to reduce glare, I don't think you will need it at all with a dark gun, such as in black, green, or grey armor tuff. In stainless, I guess it could be an issue, but the colored guns don't seem to have glare problems.

moredes
August 5, 2005, 10:03 AM
Don't have an 05 catalog, but the website shows that the entire Super Grade line come standard with top serrations.

ClarkEMyers
August 5, 2005, 10:51 AM
Mr. Wilson in fact says in his Combat 45 book IIRC that the serrations can be rationalized but are truly mostly cosmetic and a nifty touch - that's been my experience though I do have them on my own Wilson. Given today's higher sight line the slide top is out of the picture for sure.

Just the same I'd pay extra for a S&W .357 in bright blue with a checkered top strap (can't afford them anyway) and I like the serrations on the rear of the slide in a 1911 myself - I rationalize that they will make it obviouis if the extractor clocks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Q. For The Wilson Combat Guys ..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!