Bowling for Columbine voted "Best Documentary"

PDA

geegee
March 23, 2003, 11:42 PM
I know, I know-most all of you will say you never watch the Oscar's. I'm in that group as well. I'm traveling out of town tonight, checked into the hotel, and called the wife. She jokingly and sarcastically asks "I'm sure you'll be watching the Oscars tonight, won't you?" She's caught my rants before...:fire:

Anyway, I turn on the TV, and start surfing after I ordered some food, and lo and behold, there's that tub of goo, Michael Moore walking up to accept an Oscar for Best Documentary. Note: At this point, let's admit it-there's no smiley that even remotely fits.

He went on in his typical style to trash President Bush, the war, etc. There was a pretty loud chorus of boos for his rant, however (and probably just as many cheering). Nothing more to add to this post that hasn't been said about him before. I'm not surprised, nor are any of you, I'm sure. geegee

If you enjoyed reading about "Bowling for Columbine voted "Best Documentary"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
six 4 sure
March 23, 2003, 11:54 PM
Caught this too. It was kinda surprising how quiet the crowd became when he went into his rant. Thought it was pretty funny when Steve Martin said "things were pretty exciting back stage, the Teamsters are now helping Michael into the trunk of his limo."

Six

Sven
March 24, 2003, 12:07 AM
"More boos than cheers." - Matt Drudge

P95Carry
March 24, 2003, 12:12 AM
I reserve this smilie for him .... and a few others .......

http://www.patriotnetwork.net/images/smilies/puke.gif http://www.patriotnetwork.net/images/smilies/puke.gif http://www.patriotnetwork.net/images/smilies/puke.gif

Standing Wolf
March 24, 2003, 12:14 AM
Leftists are moral and intellectual parasites—and fools into the bargain.

On the proverbial "bright side," the greater fool he makes of himself, the less likely uninformed Americans will be to embrace his so-called "ideas."

fallingblock
March 24, 2003, 12:15 AM
That certainly is a valid and accurate summation:D

cool45auto
March 24, 2003, 12:28 AM
I'd liked Steve Martin's comment on how actors can be Democrats or......skinny!:D

Litlman
March 24, 2003, 12:31 AM
My wife even thought that he was a Jerk!!!

El Rojo
March 24, 2003, 12:52 AM
I was rather pleased with his appearance at the award. He got booed and then the Academy cut him off with the ole commercial music! Michael Moore is a waste of air. He said we have a "ficticious" president. That was two and a half years ago! Deal with it already. Who is living in dream land?

Soap
March 24, 2003, 01:05 AM
Michael Moore is a living, breathing, weight-gaining example of everything that is wrong with this country. Just a few points for ya Moore:

1- I'm going to make a "documentary" about white people, then I'm going to only pick the most stupid, toothless, backwater hilljacks that I can find. Then I will claim that this represents your average white person. Heck, I might even win an Oscar.

2- On your website you list all kinds of anti-war poo poo. My favorite is that you have a link to pictures of citizens in Baghdad. Obviously its supposed to make the viewer feel bad that their city is being bombed and that they are in danger. But you fail to realize that if you are not for these people's liberation, you are essentially for their continued oppression.

3- Groom thyself and no more gluttony.

4- Buy a new wardrobe.

5- Stop calling the President "Governor". I know you think this is extremely clever.

6- Don't speak for the majority of Americans...especially since the majority of all people I've ever met would love to kick your ***.

7- We don't love France. I don't give a crap what the French did in 18th century, their father's actions have no bearing on my assessment of their current character. Should we believe that all Germans are evil since they had that little problem in the mid-20th century?

8- You look like the drunkard and whining vagrant. Your career would most likely be flipping a McNasty burger if you didn't have a career that was centered around dumping on other people. I don't even have to close my eyes to imagine you in a McUniform.

9- Kiss my ***.

[RANT OFF]

CZ-75
March 24, 2003, 01:12 AM
This almost ruined my night, until I saw that he made a colossal *** out of himself.

I can only hope the Teamsters gave him the "Jimmy Hoffa" treatment. :D

10-Ring
March 24, 2003, 01:21 AM
I almost could foresee him getting the award. That "academy" likes yahoos like that. I'm glad at least some in the audience found it appropriate to boo that SOB :cuss:

ed dixon
March 24, 2003, 01:40 AM
And a child rapist for best director! Moore's arrogance and insolence were great to see. He's actually too smug to know he's his own harshest critic.

Skunkabilly
March 24, 2003, 02:20 AM
I love it when Dan Flory says 'hilljack' :D

Dr.Rob
March 24, 2003, 02:58 AM
I noticed the actors shaking heads but none of them were booing him on camera.. the folks in the cheap seats sounded like a mob with pitchforks and torches.

Can't agree with the Academy on this one.

BamBam
March 24, 2003, 03:05 AM
The facts:

http://www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html

twoblink
March 24, 2003, 03:21 AM
First, BamBam, don't bother me with the facts... It's Michael Moore!! With the way he eats, I think he should try being Michael Less for a while.

He is one more reason for me not to own a TV..

Airwolf
March 24, 2003, 03:41 AM
http://www.ktvu.com/entertainment/2058995/detail.html

Cheers And Jeers Greet Moore Oscar Speech
POSTED: 8:54 p.m. PST March 23, 2003

LOS ANGELES -- A standing ovation and a handful of jeers from Hollywood's elite greeted filmmaker Michael Moore when he criticized President Bush and the U.S.-led war in Iraq during his acceptance speech Sunday after winning the documentary feature Oscar for "Bowling for Columbine."

"We live in fictitious times. We live in the time where we have fictitious election results that elect a fictitious president. We live in a time where we have a man who's sending us to war for fictitious reasons, whether it's the fiction of duct tape or the fiction of orange alerts," Moore said.

Applause gave way to some boos, as the orchestra began to play the filmmaker off the stage.

"We are against this war, Mr. Bush. Shame on you, Mr. Bush. Shame on you," Moore shouted, surrounded onstage by his fellow nominees in a show of solidarity.

"It was so sweet backstage, the teamsters are helping Michael Moore into the trunk of his limo," host Steve Martin joked later.

"Bowling for Columbine" was Moore's satirical exploration of violence in America. The title refers to the fact that gunmen Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold went bowling before they opened fire at Columbine High School in Colorado, killing 12 students and a teacher before turning the guns on themselves.

Asked backstage why he made the remarks, Moore answered: "I'm an American."

"Is that all?" a reporter asked.

"Oh, that's a lot," Moore responded.

He said the Iraqi conflict sends a negative image to the nation's youth.

"What was the lesson that we taught children of Columbine this week? ... That violence is an acceptable means to resolve a conflict," Moore said backstage.
Moore dismissed the jeers, telling reporters: "Don't report that there was split decision in the hall because five loud people booed."

The rotund, scruffy-bearded activist from Flint, Mich., also directed the 1989 documentary "Roger & Me," in which he pursued former General Motors Corp. boss Roger Smith to confront him about the collapse of the auto industry in Moore's hometown.

Moore also is the author of the best-selling book "Stupid White Men ... And Other Sorry Excuses for the State of the Nation," which criticizes American politicians for favoring corporate wealth over public well-being.

Scattered appeals for peace and grim reports from the U.S.-led war in Iraq added a sober contrast to Hollywood's traditional night of glitzy self-glorification at Sunday's Academy Awards.

"In light of all the troubles in this world, I wish us all peace," said Chris Cooper, ending his acceptance speech after winning the supporting actor award for "Adaptation."

Cooper was among several nominees, including Meryl Streep and Martin Scorsese, who wore dove peace pins on their formal wear as a silent statement about the war.

Sactown
March 24, 2003, 05:30 AM
Is anyone really surprised that Hollyweird would give a standing ovation to Michael Moore and a pedophile director? Moore's narcissm is truly amazing.

It's Michael Moore!! With the way he eats, I think he should try being Michael Less for a while.

I disagree. He should eat more. I'd be first in line to buy him a pint of Crisco with a chaser of lard. Maybe we can hasten the coronary. He is truly a waste of skin.

WonderNine
March 24, 2003, 06:06 AM
Well, I personally believe I have a touch of neurosis, but that's a different thing entirely, right? :D

jmbg29
March 24, 2003, 06:15 AM
It's a cruel world.

John Candy is pushing up daisys, his heart couldn't support his girth.

John was a very funny and good man. :(

MM OTOH is alive and well, despite the fact that the unctuous fop leaves a wake like a battleship wherever he waddles. Complete with an oil slick to boot!

MM is a liar and a hypocrite, and he knows it.

Just see what he wrote below. It tells the whole tale. :cuss: :fire: :cuss:

SADshooter
March 24, 2003, 10:36 AM
Michael Moore validates Hillary Clinton's assertion that it takes a village to raise an idiot.

XLMiguel
March 24, 2003, 11:56 AM
I can't add much to the vitrolic regarding Mr. Moore without waxing profane, but the fact that the 'Academy' considers an intellectually perverse and ethically bankrupt piece of propaganda to be a 'documentary' speaks legions about where Hollywood's head is at. I beleive he was booed not so much out of disagreement, but more because he didn't follow the 'rules' and his poor behavior reflected badly on heir little soiree. Class will out, and Mr. Moore is clearly out of class.:barf:

Don Gwinn
March 24, 2003, 12:25 PM
"Five loud people booed"

What? Did that sound like five people to anyone else? :scrutiny:

Besides, that transcript is wrong. I clearly heard him decry the "fictition of duct tape." I think he misunderestimated how nervous he would be. :D

The bit about the others coming onstage is interesting, though. D'ya think that was spur of the moment? Otherwise, he'd basically have had to say "look, we all know I'm going to win, so how about coming up with me?"

Mauserlady
March 24, 2003, 12:27 PM
I beleive he was booed not so much out of disagreement, but more because he didn't follow the 'rules' and his poor behavior reflected badly on heir little soiree.

Thank you....

On every board I visit everyone thinks it's such a great thing that he got booed off stage last night and it's exactly as you say...

BloodyCicero
March 24, 2003, 12:33 PM
here's a little doodle i just did.

jmbg29
March 24, 2003, 01:11 PM
:evil:

MessedUpMike
March 24, 2003, 09:31 PM
Anyone else think that the bigger he gets the larger of a silloutte he becomes. While I wouldn't condone dispatching people for having stupid opinions, it would make purging the gene pool of idiots that much easier. I doubt he'd be able to run very far either. :D

Rebeldon
March 24, 2003, 09:58 PM
I haven't seen it, but if Michael Moore had anything to do with it, it sucks!

4 eyed six shooter
March 25, 2003, 12:01 AM
As soon as Bowling for Columbine was announced, my wife wisely turned off the TV as she knew I would put my foot thru it.
:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

Alan Smithiee
March 25, 2003, 04:43 PM
I weigh a lot more than MM does, does that mean I am a anti gun weeny too?

what does his weight have to do with the fact that he is a fraud and possibly a Criminal? (the Canadian Govt wants to talk to him about the possibly illegal ammo purchase as portraid in the movie)

CZ 75 BD
March 25, 2003, 04:59 PM
Last month I bought a T shirt for my son which reads "Ask me why I think Michael Moore is a big fat idiot":cuss:

Ian
March 25, 2003, 05:08 PM
I have an acquaintance in film school, who gave me some insight on why Moore got an Oscar:

...no, the purpose of a documentary film is to convince the audience to think the same thing that the filmmaker thinks. they are all editorials. documentaries spend more time being edited and manipulated than narrative films, because the audience has to percieve them as truth, though really they are generally less truthful than fiction. i generally despise documentaries because of this and documentarians generally won't admit they are doing this in mixed company, but in front of a class of film students they are perfectly willing to do so. documentary filmmaking has nothing in common with history essays or scientific research. there was a documentary that was also up, on migratory birds. in that documentary they used footage multiple times of birds which don't migrate, simply because they look better in flight than most of the migratory birds. its filmmaking- art. art is above the "truth" that most people recognize, art is truth in itself. it just isn't always true for everyone.

its monumental in the film community because moore will admit that this is his view and not necessarily the truth for everyone (in mixed company)- its one of the few films where the documentarian will admit that documentary isn't just presenting facts, which it isn't. i'm looking at this from the point of view of a filmmaker, though, not the gun lover i also am.

BloodyCicero - Lol!

XLMiguel
March 25, 2003, 07:35 PM
Moore's approach to documentry-making reminds me of something I saw in Mad Magazine as a kid: "All the news that fits, we print."

Smoke this, it'll calm you down :rolleyes:

spacemanspiff
March 25, 2003, 07:51 PM
nanaimo, we dont dislike MM because he's overweight. if lack of body shape was the standard many of us wouldnt like each other. we'd either be jealous of the lean or making fun of the not-so-lean.
however, i would hope that you take better care of your appearance rather than failing to get haircuts, shave, among the other things MM fails to do. must be cause he's so concerned with 'non-fiction'.
how can he claim to be a fan of non-fiction, when all he goes on about is 'fictitititious' things in his head?

gryphon
March 25, 2003, 08:03 PM
Five load people booed

Howard Stern made a funny on that this morning.

He said, "5 people? who where they, the 3 tenors and a couple of opera singers?"

MM is the typical commie lib, he knows that he cannot win arguments based on logic ,so he has to go the way of emotion and try to pull on the heart strings of people. I believe that is was PT Barnum who said, "You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all the people all the time."

The only reason that Bowling For Columbine was even considered was to a) try and give it some validity and b) Hollywood elites have an agenda they would like to propogate.

As much as I dislike it, there are a lot of very impressionable people that follow the hollywood bandwagon whenever it rolls into town. Our job is to either teach or persuade those to get off the bandwagon and buy their own car. Let them see the light and get them on our side.

ed dixon
March 29, 2003, 12:01 AM
You know, I will watch it when it's released on video. Just this morning at a staff meeting a co-worker commented on it favorably. I mentioned that I'd read about some of the downright deceptive editing used, but couldn't get specific enough. I'll watch it, read a lot more about it, and be better prepared when it comes up again. Hey, if Patton could read Rommel's book, I can shell out four bucks.

The aforementioned co-worker, by the way, is a friendly, funny, pretty bright guy who probably thought he was getting the nitty gritty on the issue when he went to the theater. An invitation to the range may be in the offing.

Snaps
March 29, 2003, 12:11 AM
Wow, I really am the only one that's never heard of this guy or his movie. :confused:

aikidoka-mks
March 29, 2003, 01:17 AM
I posted the link at a chicago based website that I post at where I tend to get into debates at times. I thought you guys might find the one reponse so far interesting:

the person who wrote this rebuttle David T. Hardy
has a vested interest in the Gun lobby. He has stories at the website
http://www.keepandbeararms.com/

his opinon at best is biased
he is also former president of the Tucson Rod and Gun club and has made many apperances on capital hill for the pro gun lobby. its not suprising that he wrote this

My reply to him:

Deal with the issues the writer has presented as facts. Are they true or not? You attack the messenger and ignore the case he presents - interesting. You (just like anyone else) are clearly biased for or against certain things but if you are presenting facts they are still facts and if your arguments are logically derived from those facts - so be it. Treat other positions that way instead of committing the fallacy of an ad hominem attack.

How am I doing? Any suggestions? Ive considered starting a topic on the right to keep and bear arms since the website is based in chicago. Ive also thought about posting a link to Oleg's site and to THR but Im not sure that is a good idea.

Mark

thumbtack
March 29, 2003, 01:29 AM
I saw Mr. Moore speech on the news, I would have given anything to have been there. As soon he opened his mouth I would have chunked my shoe at him.

Don Gwinn
March 29, 2003, 09:44 AM
Aikidoka, would you PM the URL? I'd be interested in taking a look at that.

In my experience, the only way to defuse ad hominem attacks is to pick one of the issues you'd like to debate and politely but relentlessly hammer on it until they address it. Then make your point, and when you're done, go right on to the next issue, because they'll never stop trying to take it back to personal stuff.

"Did Moore or did he not edit two speeches down to seven sentences, some of which were not even sentences in the original, purely to create evidence that did not exist?"
"Look, I want to talk about this Hardy guy and. . . . "
"Did he or didn't he make those edits?"
"I'm telling you, you can't trust Hardy and . . . ."
"So did he lie, or did Moore make those edits?"

Alan Smithiee
March 29, 2003, 04:00 PM
Spiff. I just get sick and tired of seeing bashing of people on "personal grounds" that has nothing to do with their anti gun stance. it makes us look like a bunch of whining weenies to the anti's. "they obviously can't have much of a case if they have to resort to personal attacks".

being able to accurately dispute their data carry's a lot more effect than making cheap comments about how fat or gay or ugly or what ever they may happen to be.

it's called taking the moral High Road.

BamBam
March 29, 2003, 09:11 PM
Moore is giving us fat guys a bad name!

I will say this; my big gut sure can hide a bunch of iron.

spacemanspiff
March 29, 2003, 09:46 PM
point taken nanaimo, but really consider how many of us high roaders slip up and make comments that attack a person on a strictly personal level.

it happens very rarely, and only when we have to release some steam. compare that to how often the antis stoop to making personal attacks on us. thats all they every do. so the occasional slipup isnt quite as harmful. it is exaggerated by the antis, but the vast majority of them are impervious to reason, logic, and even common sense.

our goal is to prove the antis claims about us wrong. we dont have to convert them, we just need to prevent others from succumbing to their brainwashing.

Mastrogiacomo
March 29, 2003, 10:49 PM
We turned off the TV during his rant. His next film is about Bush senior's Osama Bin Laden family ties...probably get the Oscar too.:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

Alan Smithiee
March 30, 2003, 02:46 PM
spif. go through any thread like this one and count the comments (including sig lines). it's not a few.

tyme
March 30, 2003, 09:19 PM
I do not believe this. I'm watching this piece of regurgitated refuse for the first time, I'm 27:12 into it, and this is quite possibly the most ham-handed "mockumentary" I've ever seen. I'd call the miserable director some unmentionable names, but that would be insensitive.

It almost seems like this is more a tirade against war and violence than against firearms.

It seems to me to be a pretty good argument for restricting the media (both movie directors and news entities). :) :)

Further, if anyone hasn't seen it and wants to, pm/email me. I might be able to lend it to you.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bowling for Columbine voted "Best Documentary"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!