Should I? 28 ga Baikal sxs, $350

PDA

Larry Ashcraft
August 7, 2005, 04:42 PM
Saw this ad in the paper this morning: "28 gauge double barreled shotgun, $350"

Called the guy and he says it is a Baikal sxs, single trigger, auto-eject. "Really pretty, with silver on it." He says he paid $450 a year ago, he has the box and papers.

I really don't need to spend $350 on another toy, but if it is a buy, I could. And it would make a nice companion to my 28 ga Wingmaster.

What do you guys think? Anybody have one of these in any gauge?

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I? 28 ga Baikal sxs, $350" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Scoupe
August 7, 2005, 05:07 PM
It's not such a screamin' deal that need to jump all over it. Had one in 12g for a couple weeks on a tryout from a buddy/dealer. Functional, realiable, very stiff new, not that pretty, but not that ugly either. I hit okay with it.

Ended up buying a Lanber from him that I like a lot better, but now that I've got 4K rounds through it I wish I'd just waited, saved up a little more, and bought a used Browning, Winchester or Remington.

kudu
August 7, 2005, 07:51 PM
Wouldn't be a bad gun for the kids to play with Larry. Don't know how heavy they are in that gauge, might be very worth while. Give you an excuse to buy another gun. ;)

Larry Ashcraft
August 7, 2005, 08:50 PM
An email to sm, and a landline conversation got me to thinking this might be a good deal. (BTW kudu, Steve said I should ask you)

The guy is going to bring the shotgun by my shop tomorrow morning. I'll post pictures if I buy it.

Here is his description: Pre-Remington, fixed chokes (imp-cyl & mod), box and papers included. Reason for selling: Got laid off, have a lot of shotguns. this one was bought last summer for dove hunting. He doesn't need it any more.

kudu
August 7, 2005, 09:08 PM
Steve's gonna get blamed for the new shotgun in the Ashcraft household, he, he ,he. :evil: :D

Well depending on what it looks like and feels like, maybe do the "aw shucks I don't know, I can maybe take it off your hands. The kids might get a kick out of using it, but the ammo is so doggone 'spensive to come by. Will ya take $$$ amount for it" ;) I don't know really what they are like but your not buying a Beretta there. Do what feels right. :)

Larry Ashcraft
August 7, 2005, 09:13 PM
Steve's gonna get blamed for the new shotgun in the Ashcraft household
Steve has already acknowledged blame. "What the heck, what is one more?"

Sandy took the phone from me and told him: "The next time Larry asks you something, the answer is NO!"

:D

kudu
August 7, 2005, 09:41 PM
Larry, I'll have to bump you my number to take some of the heat off of Steve, after all I'm further away. :D Sandy's 25-06 can't reach me here. ;)

Larry Ashcraft
August 7, 2005, 09:59 PM
Steve's reply to Sandy:

No ma'am, I am a male, we can't remember to put the toliet seat down or take out the trash - I cannot - being male and all - be expected to remember the word "No".
:D :D

GigaBuist
August 8, 2005, 12:31 AM
I've got the Baikal SxS 12 gauge coach gun. Double triggers on mine, extractors only, not ejectors.

Not much of a shotgun guy yet, but I can say this: It works!

The triggers are pretty stiff when compared to an 870, and I find the automatic enaging of the safety rather annoying. Once you break the action open on mine the safety goes on. For every reload you've got to remember to snick it off.

It's not pretty but not overly ugly either. Just a plain old shotgun. The finish does seem to rust pretty easy, though. I left mine in a case in the trunk after a camping trip with some wet clothes and when the heat hit them everything foggged up and I had some surface rust after a few days. That was probably a pretty abusive thing to do to it. Won't repeat that mistake.

The action is pretty stiff. It certainly doesn't pop open for you, which has forced me to put my hand on some pretty hot barrels to load up some more shells. Probably less of an issue with a longer barrled gun.

I paid $300 for the thing, saw it at a gunshow a month later for $260. They seem like a pretty good bargain to me. I'll probably buy another.

Birdhunter59
August 8, 2005, 10:14 AM
I picked up a Baikal 28 SxS a few months ago. I have shot several rounds of sporting clays with. It isn't the nicest looking SxS I own but I shoot it well. It is stiff. I would say that isn't a bad deal.

Larry Ashcraft
August 8, 2005, 01:36 PM
Well, I bought it just a little bit ago. Didn't bring my camera to work, but I can post pics tonight if anybody wants to see it.

Nice looking little gun. The wood is plain but nicely finished walnut. The fit and finish is what I would call "decent", hardly along the lines of my Citori, but surprisingly good for a $400 gun. The reciever appears to be stainless, with some tasteful engraving and stippling (done by hand). The barrels are blue. There's a tiny bit of surface rust by the bead and underneath where the barrels meet the rib.

The action is very tight, but I'm hoping it will smooth up some with use. It has had less than a box through it. Comes up and swings nicely, nice and light, of course different balance than my 870. It's just a hair short for me (and I'm 5'7") but it should fit Sandy nicely, which would be a good thing, since I may be able to use my 870 again. ;)

I didn't try talking him down on the price. The guy has just been laid off, and I'm sure he can use the extra $50.

I hope to have a shooting report tonight. I have 2.5 hours of light after I get home.

anapex
August 8, 2005, 05:05 PM
I have a Baikal O/U in 12ga, doesn't see much use now that I have the TC for trap. As you've found out though their decent looking and rugged guns. I'd be interested to see how one in 28ga does ;)

Larry Ashcraft
August 8, 2005, 10:40 PM
Wow, this little thing shoots. Ran about 25-30 shells through it tonight. Didn't even pattern it, just started throwing clays and shooting.

I shot a few, Sandy shot a few, and then I shot a few more. I hit five straight with the left barrel, and then gave it back to her. Recoil is about zero, and it fits me better than I thought.

Tight on opening and closing, but Sandy could handle it, and hopefully it will get better with use. The trigger isn't bad at all.

I may post a picture in a little while.

kudu
August 9, 2005, 06:47 AM
:d

BozemanMT
August 9, 2005, 11:27 PM
Once you try a SxS, you'll never go back. :cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I? 28 ga Baikal sxs, $350" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!