Are Norinco SKS rifles exempt from 922(r)?

PDA

SIGarmed
August 7, 2005, 10:53 PM
If these were imported after 1989 and they're not C&R does that mean I can change parts on a Norinco paratrooper model?

It seems they're not C&R. Am I wrong?

If you enjoyed reading about "Are Norinco SKS rifles exempt from 922(r)?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
benEzra
August 9, 2005, 06:51 PM
Does it have a bayonet?

I'm not a lawyer and don't play one on TV, but if the SKS was imported after '89 (and it's definitely not C&R, they were new production I think), and it does NOT have a bayonet, then it presumably was deemed importable in a "sporting" configuration. If that supposition is true, then 18 USC 922(r) still applies to the rifle, but it met the sporting purposes test when imported. If THAT supposition is true, then you can't do anything to it that would degrade its "sporting" configuration.

Russian, Romanian, and Yugoslavian SKS's fail the "sporting purposes" test because of the bayonets and such, BUT they are allowed to be imported anyway due to their historicity (C&R status).

If you enjoyed reading about "Are Norinco SKS rifles exempt from 922(r)?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!