My confession

PDA

Bonker
March 24, 2003, 03:11 AM
I have to get this off my chest...

When I was a kid, my dad made me clean my guns all the time. I got to where I hated shooting because it meant hours of cleaning. So like kids will sometimes do....I rebelled.
I hate cleaning of any kind.
I LOVE to take my guns apart and put them together. I just don't like to clean.

I do clean my long range rifle for obvious reasons (and I almost never shoot it). But of my other 50 or so guns, I confess that I have never once cleaned any of them in at least 10 years. The AK's and SKS I shoot often never stop working. My 22 Marlin semi-auto gets shot 1000rds a month or more and I just knock the dirt out of it when it gets too dirty. Same for my handguns. Revolvers get the flash gap rubbed with my finger every once in a while to keep it clear.

I am fairly selective in that when I buy a new gun, I tend to favor models that will function for long periods without cleaning. AK-47's, pump guns, revolvers, etc...

I don't use corrosive ammo ever and not one of my guns shows the slightest amount of rust or unusual wear. Accuracy doesn't seem to suffer, nor does reliability.

For me, cleaning takes away valuable time I could use to either be shooting, eating, or sleeping. So am I a bad person?

If you enjoyed reading about "My confession" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
swingset
March 24, 2003, 03:18 AM
You're not a bad person. You're a dirty person! :D

I'm with ya tho. I abhor cleaning more than anything gun-related.

There will be those chiming in that they love the smell of Hoppes, which is fine and dandy, but I always wonder if these were the guys who enjoyed climbing the hill more than sledding down it.

I don't over-clean, that's for sure, but I also don't let my guns run dirty. Accuracy wise, you're not going to mess up an SKS by not cleaning every 500 rounds, but the same cannot be said for a benchrest gun. I clean according to need, I suppose.

Bonker
March 24, 2003, 03:31 AM
FOrgot to add, I'd rather shaprpen knives than clean. My dad always said you can judge a man by how sharp he keeps his pocket knife. I think he was right (as usual).
I'll spend an hour sharpening before I'll spend a minute cleaning. :)

jsalcedo
March 24, 2003, 06:08 AM
The only thing you really need to be concerned with is the extra wear the grit will cause on moving parts.

Reliability may be a problem as well.

I run a bore snake through my guns and take a silcone cloth and wipe crud off the bolt face of autos and around the forcing cone of revolvers.

I wipe the outside with a treated cloth to prevent rust.

Cleaning 6 guns takes me about 5 min.

My wife hates the smell of the solvents I use so I'm relegated to cleaning when the guns get leading or serious grit.

TarpleyG
March 24, 2003, 08:22 AM
You're just like my stepdad. I asked him once when the last time he had cleaned a pistol I was using of his and he said "when it came out of the box." Meaing HE had never cleaned it.

GT

illuminatus99
March 24, 2003, 08:42 AM
I'm in the same boat, I don't even own a cleaning rod for my .22, and with the mosin-nagants and shotguns I just never get around to cleaning them.

when I first got my AK I cleaned it religiously but then stopped bothering with it, I'll probably clean it every 1000 rounds or so even if it's only to check for parts wear.

PATH
March 24, 2003, 09:15 AM
Shoot then clean. I love spending the extra time with my firearms. God help me but I do so love them.:D

pax
March 24, 2003, 10:08 AM
My dad gave me his old shotgun with the words, "Nice thing about shotguns is, they don't have to be cleaned."

He was serious.

:D

pax

My husband and I have figured out a really good system about the housework: neither one of us does it. -- Dottie Archibald

XLMiguel
March 24, 2003, 10:11 AM
I'm with Path, I like clean guns.

When I was little, part of the Sunday afternoon ritual (esp. in the winter, when it was too crappy out to play golf) was gathering up the family's shoes and going down to the basement with my dad. He's smoke a cigar and drink a beer while we shined shoes and talk about all kinds of stuff. Sometimes, we'd pull out his GI .45 and clean that, too. Needles to say, I was just fascinated. When teh gun came out, sometimes he'd talk about where/how he fought in WW2 in N. Africa, Sicily, Anzio, and with Patton, won the DSC and 2 PH's. He didn't brag, but more about war, men at war, the importance of teamwork and discipline, Duty, Honor, Country, illustrated with real life examples. I learned the 4 rules at an early age, along with a lot of other things that are important in life, and the smell of Hoppe's always takes me back.:)

10-Ring
March 24, 2003, 10:37 AM
To each his own I guess. Me, I enjoy cleaning my guns & look at it as a part of the shooting experience. I've also made a conscious effort to acquire guns that are easy to field strip & clean.

spacemanspiff
March 24, 2003, 12:20 PM
i find that the time i spend watching tv i can use to keep my hands busy with. i can clean my guns, oil them up, dry fire, sharpen my knives, or pick my nose. it doesnt take up extra time out of my schedule.
but to each their own. at some point a stoppage will likely occur in a dirty gun. personally, i think i'll keep my guns clean to keep the odds in my favor. my carry gun is meticulously cleaned weekly and hasnt failed me yet.

Blackhawk
March 24, 2003, 12:55 PM
Cleaning is as much a maintenance and inspection process as it is "cleaning" so that makes it important for defense or carry guns.

Sounds like I'm lucky because I enjoy it!

If a gun can't function while dirty from firing, there's no way it can be deemed "reliable", IMO.

If a gun is stored properly and not prone to being infiltrated by sand, dirt, etc., it shouldn't really need cleaning just because it was fired.

Standing Wolf
March 24, 2003, 01:15 PM
Cleaning a gun once in awhile is okay. Cleaning every gun every time you shoot it is a pain in the ankleā€”but I do it because I'm just that way. I'm the same way with hard drives, but not kitchens and bath rooms and cars.

I figure it averages out.

cratz2
March 24, 2003, 01:20 PM
You're not alone. My step-father-in-law has many nice guns that he never cleans. He's carried an S&W 659 everyday since about 8 years before I met him and he's never cleaned it. I've cleaned it three or four times. Swears that's it's never had a failure.

He also has a beautiful Ruger No 1 Varmint with the gray laminate and stainless steel in 22-250. I had it in my house for about 4 years and kept it spotless. I finally gave it back and we got it out the other day a couple months ago and it was filthy! It was very sad.

He has a Springfield trapdoor that he inheirated from his father a few years ago and I'm literally not sure that's its been cleaned since WWII. Of course, I don't want to clean that one for fear I'll ruin something on it.

Drjones
March 24, 2003, 01:48 PM
A gun will never malfunction from being too clean.

keyhole
March 24, 2003, 02:25 PM
I used to be very good about keeping my guns cleaned. Lately, with family, and an ever increasing busy schedule, I find it hard to sit down and clean them. Of course, the tactical tupperware that I carry on duty seems to function well, even after hundreds of rounds thru it. I do remember one officers years ago who bought a Glock, and I don't think he cleaned it for several years.
I will though, take them out to the garage and do some cleaning, when the weather's too bad to shoot, or do much of anything else.

Joe Demko
March 24, 2003, 02:27 PM
With the introduction of noncorrosive priming compounds, smokeless powder, and non-abrasive primers (older ones contained ground glass), the idea that a firearm must be cleaned every time it is fired as a maintenance issue isn't really true. Wiping off the fingerprints and running a quick oily patch down the bore (if you live in a humid environment) is enough.

Smoke
March 24, 2003, 03:02 PM
I'm not fond of cleaning either. But it does need to be done occasionally. I'll never be the anal "clean-it-every-time-I-shoot-it" kind of guy.

Handguns get a good cleaning every 500 rounds or so.
Rifles: every 50-60 rounds. (Who keeps track?)
Shotguns - Autoloaders: Once a year before bird season
Shotguns - Doubles: Twice a year (Once before and once after bird season) Ok Maybe one other time in-between, I shoot them a little more.
Shotgun - Pump: Every 500 rounds or so.
.22 Handgun: Whenever it messes up
.22 rifle: You mean you're supposed to clean them too!?
:)

Frohickey
March 24, 2003, 03:07 PM
Yes. You are a bad person.
But I have a solution for all of you who hate to clean guns.
You can send them to me, filthy, dirty, and neglected. I'll clean them for ya. Send them freight-pre-paid. :D

SoDFW Jason
March 24, 2003, 03:17 PM
Bonker- If you are near Dallas, I will gladly clean them all thoroughly in exchange for a little range time with them.

mattk
March 24, 2003, 03:27 PM
I dont do much gun cleaning either oh about every 2000 rounds or so for my IPSC gun. My shotgun (Browning Gold) has been cleaned once. My AK NEVER!!! I cant remember the last time I cleaned my Glock. I mean I must have cleaned it one or twice. I dont shoot it much so what the hay.

Nightfall
March 24, 2003, 03:41 PM
Every time I shoot, I clean. That simple.

I don't really mind it. Part of the experience for me. I just love guns that much. :D

keithernTN
March 24, 2003, 04:07 PM
For me it is easier to clean every time I shoot. That way, it isn't all that dirty after I'm done shooting, making the gun much easier to clean (and quicker) than one that hasn't been cleaned in few range sessions.

cool45auto
March 24, 2003, 07:33 PM
I'm a neat freak when it comes to my firearms. I don't mind cleaning any of them after a good range session.

Soap
March 24, 2003, 07:41 PM
Buy a boresnake, some toofbrushes, and a rag. Cleaning will only take a few minutes/gun. The boresnake helps out a lot.

P95Carry
March 24, 2003, 07:57 PM
This subject will always invoke the full spectrum of responses!!

I HATE cleaning the damn things ...... BUT ...............

I used a lot of hard cast bullets .. so I need to delead. That I feel is a must.

Another thing - I checked my snubby (summer carry piece) last year after a few weeks, during which time I had shot it and done a normal ''quickie clean'' .... but was more than glad I took off side plate to check inside .... oh my - there was a lot of grit in there .. works its way thru from around hammer.

Furthermore ... the ''sweat syndrome'' ....... and thus a need for an external wipe at least with a CLP cloth.

Overall, I do tend to be lazy with bores and cylinders etc . but only for so long ... and that exterior wipe (or even a waxing) is important to me on blued guns .. otherwise the dreaded rust can attack.

Oh and ... .22 semi's .. rifle or pistol ... I do find that too much crud build up ... (usually from the dirty effects of .22 - such ''gritty'' residues) ..... cause the extractor claw to not be able to fully seat in the breach recess and so at times ... malfunctions.

Thus to sum up ... my cleaning is on a ''needs must'' according to my rule book! That way I feel I am not abusing my cherished pieces of engineering magic.:p :)

twoblink
March 24, 2003, 10:12 PM
First, keeping a gun very very very dirty (and not because you are in combat situations) is dangerous. High pressures from dirty guns might KB! on you.

Second, do what I do... Every 2nd time or 3rd time out, take some newbies. Then tell them, they need to help you clean your guns, it's only "fair". Most will agree.. I find the women do a great detailing job on my guns. They are usually smoother and cleaner than a baby's butt..

It works, and it means taking newbies to the range... which is great for RKBA.

4 eyed six shooter
March 24, 2003, 10:46 PM
As a Gunsmith, I would like to thank those of you who do not clean your firearms. The business you bring always helps me make my bottom line. In reality, your firearms do not need to be kept spotless all of the time, but will last long enough to pass onto your kids and grandkids if you at least make a fair effort to keep them clean and properly lubed. As a lover of fine firearms, it always bothers me when I see a firearm with excessive wear due to lack of cleaning. Firearms are a thing of beauty and should be treated at least as well as the one you love. I know, it sounds like a rant, but hay, what can I say? Clean them, Pet them, Shoot them and then clean them again!
Best Wishes to all, John K

blades67
March 24, 2003, 11:00 PM
So, do they call you Pigpen at the range?:neener:

Devonai
March 25, 2003, 12:29 AM
A clean firearm is a happy firearm.

The chore of cleaning firearms is made easy for me when I go shooting with friends. After the day is done and we've retired to the rumpus room, we break out the pipes and settle in for a good conversation. Next thing you know you've got a pile of clean guns.

BerettaNut92
March 25, 2003, 01:15 AM
I hate cleaning long guns but likes cleaning my handguns. Too bad my apt is too crowded to clean when I want.

kannonfyre
March 25, 2003, 02:35 AM
If I could legally own a gun I'd clean it after EVERY range session. This would be particularly revelant since I like M-16 type weapons.

makdaddy03
March 25, 2003, 02:46 AM
I really dont clean my guns as I should. But usually after a day of shooting I will run a patch or two through the bore. I will clean them when I think that the time has come.:)

Wheels 'n' Guns
March 25, 2003, 03:01 AM
Hey! Us Aussies have a variety of adverse climatic conditions, so cleaning our guns is important. Sand, "bulldust" (that's a very fine dust that gets into everything), as well as high humidity (in the North and coastal regions) which can cause rust and wear. Even hand sweat can cut into gun surface.
Cleaning guns after a hunt or a days Clay Busting, or Pistol Comps, can be a good way to unwind and to check out any problem areas of the machine. Just like washing down the Range Rover can be a "thank you" as well as checking out any dings and buckles. As an Engineer, I think it's quite normal to want to look after your equipment. Spend the time and your efforts will be rewarded.

Bonker
March 25, 2003, 03:13 PM
SoDFW Jason I DO live in Dallas. If you clean them and buy your own ammo then you've got a deal! :)

If you enjoyed reading about "My confession" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!