need info from our law enforcement officers

PDA

one-shot-one
August 9, 2005, 07:08 PM
Got a letter in the mail about Stephanie Mohr former police woman jailed for allowing her police dog to bite an illegal criminal, the letter is requesting funds to go to "leldf". my question is how reputable is the "leldf" and how accurate is the story of officer mohr? I did a search and found only the same info from the letter and it was in a forum that was a little maybe white.
does any/most of the money actually go to the legal defense of officers or to "administrative" costs?

If you enjoyed reading about "need info from our law enforcement officers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steve in PA
August 9, 2005, 11:05 PM
I think I remember reading about her, so I think the story is legit.

However I tell everyone not to contribute to any of the junk they receive in the mail. While there is an outside chance the whole thing is on the up and up, there is a better chance that its not.

Shield529
August 9, 2005, 11:30 PM
Go to thier web site and read her full story. Then you will know why police don't trust the feds anymore than you do.

Shield529
August 9, 2005, 11:31 PM
http://www.leldf.org/index.html

gc70
August 9, 2005, 11:37 PM
The story on the LELDF website is interesting. It is also substantially different than the picture presented by the Federal Appeals Court decision (http://pacer.ca4.uscourts.gov/opinion.pdf/015002.P.pdf) in Mohr's case.

Then you will know why police don't trust the feds anymore than you do.She apparently should not have trusted her fellow officers, since one of them rolled over on her in exchange for a plea bargain.

Regarding the letter asking for donations, here is what the Better Business Bureau (http://www.spokane.bbb.org/alerts/alerts.html?newsid=351&newstype=1) had to say.

PERSON RECEIVES SOLICITATION FOR DONATIONS FOR JAILED OFFICER, STEPHANIE MOHR. IS IT LEGIT?

TheLocalBBB was even baffled by a copy of this mailing we received from a Yakima woman regarding a plea from Stephanie Mohr, on behalf of her defense, for donations for the Law Enforcement Legal Defense Fund-which supposedly is supporting her case for being released. The letter comes looking as though it were typed on a typewriter. Here are the red flags that it raises:

1) While this case IS historically a legitimate one, NO phone number on mailing for people to contact and discuss the organization, or its causes. 2) If you go to the group's web site, the PO Box they have on the mailing (PO Box 7011, Merrifield, VA, 22116, which is where you send donations, is NOT verifiable on the web site. Only their physical address is posted on the web site. (1611 North Kent Street, Suite 901) Arlington, VA, 22209.) 3) The company IS registered with the Secretary of State as a charity. However, the organization just moved in October, 2003, and hasn't yet sent an address change for new address. There is a Washington, DC phone number listed on their registration, however, that is no longer valid for the organization. The old number, if called, will refer you to the organization's NEW number, which is (703) 807- 1875. This number reaches David Martin, manager for the Law Enforcement Legal Defense Fund (LELDF), which is the name under which donations should be written. 4) This organization's manager, David Martin, did return TheLocalBBB's call to explain its organization. However, he was unable to explain why their PO Box is not posted on their web site. He stated that there is no number for the organization because "we don't have the staff to field a large number of calls." We strongly believe that ANY charity should be available for calls and comments, and to answer basics about who they are and what they do. We hope our call prompted Mr. Martin to reveal more about the organization on its web site in the future.

LawDog
August 10, 2005, 11:17 AM
I've never even heard of the LELDF.

They're not on any law enforcement charity lists that I can find.

I'd look into this a lot further before sending them any hard-earned cash.

LawDog

JohnBT
August 10, 2005, 11:29 AM
"According to tax records filed with the Oregon attorney general's office, the D.C.-based nonprofit received $2.42 million in contributions in 2000 and spent only $182,353 defending cops. That means if you sent them a $10 check for Stephanie, she and other cops could expect to get about 75 cents."

And...

"We'll ignore the fact that Alice Mohr's account of events leaves out a few key details, including testimony from a fellow officer that Stephanie Mohr released the dog on two homeless men at the urging of a colleague who wanted the dog to "take a bite" out of the burglary suspects, who were not resisting the officers.

We'll ignore the fact that during the 1990s the Prince George's police dogs bit, on average, 100 people a year, prompting a federal investigation."

- www.wweek.com/story.php?story=2470

one-shot-one
August 10, 2005, 12:16 PM
that all pretty much answered my questions, figured as much but didn't want to miss a chance that maybe was on the up & up.

If you enjoyed reading about "need info from our law enforcement officers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!