How about better technique?

PDA

F4GIB
August 9, 2005, 08:31 PM
Closing a thread because the inevitable "jerk" shows up punishes all those who are posting to or following that thread. It does, however, cut off the discussion. Completely.

Why not just erase the obnoxious post and let the thread continue?

That would seem fairer to the Board membership and not stop the conversation. But, of course, it won't cut off that "undesireable" public commentary about policework or whatever that may really be at issue when a thread is silenced.

If you enjoyed reading about "How about better technique?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LawDog
August 10, 2005, 12:07 AM
Thread begins.

Thread goes fairly well.

Troll jumps in.

We erase trolls post.

Troll posts again, demanding to know why his First Amendment Rights have been violated. Somebody has to deliver lesson regarding Biil of Rights effecting Government, and that THR isn't run by, nor owned by, the Government. Lesson is ignored.

Second troll post is erased.

Buddies of troll have public hissy fits. Accusations of erasing of controvesial posts ensue. Moderators are called fascists.

Original troll makes public declaration of censorship. Board becomes polarized. Long term members get banned. Certain Moderators get to exercise their vocabulary. Banned and/or warned Members take off to sister boards and start mean-mouthing THR...

*sigh* We've been there, we've done that, we've got the t-shirts.

Thread begins.

Thread goes fairly well.

Troll jumps in.

We lock thread.

Nobody gets to claim (erroneous) violations of First Amendment Rights.

Nobody gets to snivel about censorship.

Less people get banned.

LawDog

Correia
August 10, 2005, 07:29 PM
F4GIB, this is how many posts from you now complaining about the moderation of THR?

I'm going to come off like a jerk when I say this, but you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You have no idea how much discussion goes on behind the scenes. You have no idea how much work it takes to run a board like this with thousands of active posters. But you keep on talking. There is no massive conspiracy to protect bad law enforcement. Give me a break.

Honestly if you think that you can do a better job, feel free to spend hundreds of your own hours, and go start your own board.

F4GIB
August 10, 2005, 11:55 PM
Correia posted You have no idea how much discussion goes on behind the scenes.

Of course.

Correia
August 11, 2005, 12:31 PM
Yes.

Believe whatever preconceived notion you want. But while you think that there is some pro-LEO conspiracy, at the same time we get nasty e-mails from angry cops who are mad about the anti-LEO conspiracy. (got one heck of one last night in fact) On one hand we are Republican bootlicking Bush apologists, on the other we are politically correct liberals, or anarchist Libertarians. Not a day goes by that we don't tick somebody off.

And for your information, the vast majority of the time we do delete individual posts rather than closing whole threads. When we close the threads it is a gut call that goes along with what Lawdog said.

Colonel Klink
August 11, 2005, 01:06 PM
LawDog

Well put. Didn't know all that. Thank you!

F4GIB
August 14, 2005, 12:33 AM
It is interesting that all the threads on the incident in Sunrise, FL which were started on THR have been closed.

GT has two threads going, with lots of good discussion. One is over 350 replys long and the other over 150. Obviously, people want to talk about this subject.

pax
August 14, 2005, 01:15 AM
F4GIB, this is how many posts from you now complaining about the moderation of THR?

If you like GT and its standards better, go there.

No one is forcing you to hang around here and whine.

pax

F4GIB
August 14, 2005, 01:32 AM
Ah, but it's a public forum.
And I'm polite and do follow the rules.

WayneConrad
August 14, 2005, 10:58 AM
I agree, let's have better technique.

Oh goodie, we already do have better technique! The way it's done here works very well. Better than any other forum I've visited. Let's not change our better technique to a worse one.

LawDog
August 14, 2005, 12:14 PM
It is interesting that all the threads on the incident in Sunrise, FL which were started on THR have been closed.

GT has two threads going, with lots of good discussion. One is over 350 replys long and the other over 150. Obviously, people want to talk about this subject.

Start all the threads you want. However, if they go beyond what is acceptable here at THR, they're going to get locked.

Once the few honyocks start displaying some manners, courtesy, and civility; not to mention debating, rather than shrieking and flinging ... stuff, I would imagine that you could keep any thread going for as long as your heart desires.

LawDog

F4GIB
August 14, 2005, 02:22 PM
So it's OK to restart locked threads. I'd never have guessed that. That will work, I suppose.

Byron Quick
August 15, 2005, 12:01 PM
Depends. Depends on who restarts them, how they are restarted and who joins in the restarted thread.

Example: if the thread is restarted by the doofus that got the previous thread closed...odds are we won't wait around for him to make a mess again. If uncivil, childish behavior is continued in the new thread...thread closed. If the trolls jump back in with more trollish behavior...thread closed.

If a topic cannot be discussed in a civil and reasonable manner...there's really no need to restart the thread. Read the forum rules that you agreed to abide by when you registered. That is a contract between you and THR. If you cannot bring yourself to abide by that contract on a certain topic then refrain from posting on that topic.

Simple.

If you enjoyed reading about "How about better technique?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!