US Army Marksmanship Unit

PDA

zookrider
August 9, 2005, 08:08 PM
Has anybody ever met/scene the members of the Army Action Shooting team (they wear the bright gold and black shirts) at a USPSA match? If so, were you impressed? whats seems to be the skill level of the average team member? B? A? Master? Just curious.

If you enjoyed reading about "US Army Marksmanship Unit" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PvtPyle
August 9, 2005, 08:22 PM
I am on the MTU (Marksmanship Training Unit) for the UTANG. They guys on the big Army team are as good as they get. Professional soldiers and hardcore shooters. They have a great custom shop too.

fgr39
August 9, 2005, 08:40 PM
while I havn't met them I know Travis and Max are on the team and both are GM (grand master) I've seen video and they are fast. I think Max is shooting open this year and Travis is mostly shooting limited. You can look them up on the USPSA web site.

eerw
August 9, 2005, 10:54 PM
You can catch up with Max and Travis at www.MaxMichel.com

These two are exceptional shooters and gentlemen..very easy to talk with..I have not met the rest of the team, but have heard very good things about them..have heard they have recruited a youngster GM out of the Houston area for the team.

Zak Smith
August 9, 2005, 11:39 PM
I have seen and met AMU shooters at some big 3Gun matches including MGM and RM3G.

Sheldon
August 10, 2005, 06:55 AM
I remember seeing their recuitment ads in either the USPSA magazine 'Frontsight' or 'The American Handgunner' and I recall they were looking for Master Classed shooters to join up and get assigned to the AMTU. I thought they disbanded them a little while back??

SAW753
August 10, 2005, 07:34 AM
I'm a trap shooter back home and I have gone to the Grand for the last three years. I have missed this years Grand becuase of my deployment. Anyways I have run into members of the AMU at the grand. I don't know if these are the same people as you guys are talking about but I was not all that impressed with them. I'm a class A shooter with a handly cap of 21.5 yards and these guys had only mid 80 scores. I will tell you that there was a heck of a lot of money put into their shotguns however, tapered sights, custom hydrolic stocks, ported barrels, light weight material, release triggers. All that kind of good stuff and they did not shoot that well. If these were the same people as you all are talking about I can understand how they could have a problem becuase it is different to shoot a pistol and in pistol compation then it is to shoot trap with a shotgun.

Jim Watson
August 10, 2005, 09:00 AM
Seems to me these guys ought to be gainfully employed shooting Iraqis instead of paper.

eerw
August 10, 2005, 11:16 AM
Talking with MM and TT..they spend most of their time doing training for specific units..

think they are based out of Georgia..

Hoser
August 10, 2005, 11:29 AM
The main AMU is based at Fort Benning GA.

There are many different shooting disciplines represented in the AMU. Everything from IPSC, to Air Rifle to International Trap.

The guys that shoot for the AMU are the best in the sport and many go on to compete in the Olympics.

Even though it sounds like a good deal, being paid to show up at work and shoot, its a tough deal. Not the best choice for a guy looking to get promoted. All their counterparts are out there filling squares in leadership roles and stuff like that. Thats why not a lot will spend more than a few years there. Its a special duty assignment, screw up just once and they could send you packing to your primary job.

They also have a summer AMU program, I dont know many of the details other than a lot of High power shooters come from both the Active Duty and Guard/Reserve. They train hard for a couple months, go to Perry, clean up and head back to their units. I remember their 1988 Sportsmans Team Challenge team was a summer program.

Travis and Max and good men.

Navy87Guy
August 10, 2005, 05:46 PM
Seems to me these guys ought to be gainfully employed shooting Iraqis instead of paper.

Ah...but you have to consider what these guys are doing for recruiting in the Army. How many young kids see Travis shoot and decide "That's cool", and sign up? That's the purpose...PR.

The Marine Corps runs things the same way. For the Air Force, shooting is a collateral duty. You have a real "Day Job". The Navy doesn't even have a standing team. We hold championships for pistol and rifle every year, but we don't sponsor USPSA or IDPA style shooters like the Army does.

Maybe that will change when we bring back the naval infantry in a couple of years....

Jim

Quantrill
August 11, 2005, 09:48 AM
Small Arms Firing Schools (SAFS) at Camp Perry are run by AMU. Quantrill

Wakal
August 12, 2005, 11:51 AM
Considering that Max (the AMU's top pistol shooter) is the 2004 and 2005 National USPSA pistol champion, I'd go out on a limb and say that he is the real deal :neener:

I've known Max (both Jr and Sr) for years. Junior has turned out to be an excellent instructor, hard working and dedicated. And of course, one hell of a good pistol competitor :)

However, I've shot with what passes for the Army 3-Gun team. Ummm...OK. The Air Force doesn't even have a 3-Gun team, although some weird-looking Air Force guy did win high military at the 2005 Superstition Mountain.

Alex

PS For what it is worth, the captain of the Goodfellow AFB pistol team crushed the captain of the "big" Air Force team at the 2005 USPSA Open Nationals (by 19 places). Don't think that team membership (excepting Max and T)...but especially for the Air Force...has anything to do with actual ability ;) ).

AW

Hoser
August 12, 2005, 12:02 PM
PS For what it is worth, the captain of the Goodfellow AFB pistol team ... Not cool Alex. Comments like that do nothing for the good of any shooting team or the sport as a whole.

Wakal
August 12, 2005, 05:01 PM
Sometimes the truth sucks. By about 19 places. Too bad the Goodfellow guy was told by the Air Force guy that he "wasn't good enough."

Alex

P-32
August 23, 2005, 02:18 AM

Shooting is still a military skill and I'm sure they will get their chance.

Commissar Gribb
August 23, 2005, 05:08 AM
For the Air Force, shooting is a collateral duty

sadly, this is more than true.

If you enjoyed reading about "US Army Marksmanship Unit" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!