springfield m1a price check

PDA

madhatta
March 24, 2003, 10:09 AM
I found a preban m1a standard, with 2 20rd. mags, and 1 5rd. mag. The gun has not been shot much and appears to be in near NIB condition. The guy is asking $1500.00. I have a feeling if he still has it in a couple weeks, he would take a little less. How is this price? What could I offer him without offending him?
Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "springfield m1a price check" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
aerod1
March 24, 2003, 12:26 PM
I don't know what they are going for in your neck of the woods. I would offer $1000. I think $1500 is too high, even with the mags.
Jim Hall

3 gun
March 24, 2003, 12:34 PM
For a preban, built with a USGI bolt, op rod, barrel, etc., it's a fair asking price. If you can get it for less that's great. The key is the rifle being built with good USGI parts. If the major pieces (bolt, barrel, op rod, etc.) aren't GI parts I wouldn't bother with an offer.

No4Mk1*
March 24, 2003, 12:46 PM
New M1A rifles cost $1044 in Georgia. The mags are worth $35 each if they are USGI or Asian. If they are reproductions, then the mags are worth about $1 each.

So the Price of your rifle is $1430. Depending on what you think USGI parts and a bayonet lug are worth to you it may or may not be a good deal. Though I have not heard of commercial Bolts and op rods failing, I have heard of much criticism of current commercial production. If the rifle does have USGI parts, I would personally not offer less than $1000 for the rifle, ($1070 with magazines.) I would probably offer more.

aerod1
March 24, 2003, 02:17 PM
If you offer $1000. you certainly have room to negotiate a counter offer. It doesn't hurt to come away with a good deal. I know the pre-ban is worth more than current production. It is worth a try.
Jim Hall

If you enjoyed reading about "springfield m1a price check" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!