Remington .22 Model 582

PDA

GraceAcre
August 11, 2005, 12:35 AM
I've just recently acquired a Remington .22 Model 582 from settling my mothers estate. My question is can anyone tell me about the gun. There are a few numbers on it and I was wondering if that could give me closer clue as to when it was purchased or manufactured. I know that this gun did not go into production until 1967 and they quit producing it in 1982. I do not wish to get rid of the gun but I am curious about the value if there is any. The gun was my dad's and I'm saving it for one of my grandsons.

Thanks,
GraceAcre

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington .22 Model 582" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
thatguy
August 11, 2005, 12:17 PM
At least some Remington rifles have the date of manufacture stamped in code. This might be what you're seeing. The 582 is the tube mag version of the 581 which used the box mag. My first gun was a 581 bought in 1967 and it didn't have a serial number (not required by law until 1968 and many 22s didn't have them).

JohnBT
August 11, 2005, 12:25 PM
The month and year can be determined by the letter codes on the left side of the barrel. Here's how to read the code...

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9555

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington .22 Model 582" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!