What is the most dangerous predator?

PDA

discusser
August 11, 2005, 11:00 PM
Hi. Not including man, and speaking only of land animals, what is the most dangerous predator? By "most dangerous" I mean...what is the one predator that would be most likely to kill any other predator in a fight?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the most dangerous predator?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Oldnamvet
August 11, 2005, 11:34 PM
Depends on where the fight is. Whose territory. Water or land. Some of the most dangerous animals are not predators. Anybody want to fight with a rhino, elephant, water buffalo, etc? Which predator would you least want to go up against? For me it would be one of the poisonous snakes such as the bamboo viper, bushmaster, etc. You can win the fight but you are still dead. :uhoh:

Rabbi
August 11, 2005, 11:52 PM
I don't know from predator, but I've read in several places that the most lethal animal in terms of numbers of people killed is a hippo. Supposedly the hippopotamus HATES human beings and kills them for fun.

Art Eatman
August 12, 2005, 01:16 AM
From reading, the hippo goes away from ponds/rivers during the night to graze. Natives going to a river for water in the early morning wind up between hippo and home. Hard on natives.

Some writers claim that crocodiles in Africa and India kill more people than any other animal.

In North America, I'd venture that the Alaskan big bears would be top of the heap over anything else.

Africa? The lion is the top predator in terms of ability over such as a leopard. Odds are, from reading, it doesn't happen often enough to notice. But I'd bet nothing messes with a mature elephant...

In Asia, nothing matches the tiger.

Back in the 19th century, I've read, there were some caged situations with fights between lions and tigers. IIRC, it was a case of six of one, half-dozen of the other.

FWIW, Art

MrTuffPaws
August 12, 2005, 01:26 AM
Uh man? Duh!

Jeff
August 12, 2005, 01:35 AM
In one of the last few years, maybe 2004 or 2003, the number of Africans killed by hippos was around 200, roughly twice that killed by crocs.

Hippos are really bad a$$....as bad as they get. But they really arn't predators. You just haplessly stumble across one, and you are dead. It's not like they were stalking you to satisfy any predatory urge.

discusser
August 12, 2005, 02:17 AM
OK...let me set the scene here...

I guess most of you are familiar with the Ultimate Fighting Championship where 2 guys get into the octogon ring and fight until one wins.

Let's say there was a hypothetical fight like that between the most dangerous cat (lion, tiger, etc) and a grizzly bear. Which would win? The cat or the bear?

Balog
August 12, 2005, 04:07 AM
The staged battles in the Roman Coliseum suddenly make more sense. :rolleyes:

Chawbaccer
August 12, 2005, 09:19 AM
I think the bear would win, he can stand up and fight and I think has more powerfull jaw and a harder swipe with his paws, The cat would have to go for the throat and I don't think he would make it.

Jeff
August 12, 2005, 09:28 AM
I believe a full grown grizzly or polar bear would destroy any big cat on the planet.

billykaldrich
August 12, 2005, 09:55 AM
just watched animal cops last night and a aspca cop said in north america more people have been killed by deer than ANY other animal.tripped me out for sure.he had the satistics.

rbernie
August 12, 2005, 09:56 AM
Thick hide and strength trumps thin hide and speed - bear wins if it's in a fighting mood.

Ol' Badger
August 12, 2005, 10:04 AM
grizz

scubie02
August 12, 2005, 10:04 AM
nah, it would be a case-by case situation. My brother was just telling me how he was watching a nature show recently where believe it or not a lone large wolf killed a medium sized grizzly. I'm sure thats not the norm, but it obviously can happen. Alot of it has to do with the temperament of the different animals. I have seen smaller and younger deer who were very aggressive drive off larger bucks. Most people have probably seen a smaller dog dominate a larger one. We had a big cat when I was a kid that totally dominated the neighborhood--I personally saw it send numerous dogs packing. One of those things you just can't say for sure.

You also have to consider that some match-ups just wouldn't happen. I'm sure a giant squid or killer whale or something would take out most any land animal, but it wouldn't really be a fair matchup--the water animals obviously couldn't fight on land and the land animals would be at too big of a disadvantage in the water.

enfield
August 12, 2005, 10:53 AM
The Jack Russell Terrier, without any doubt. :p

one-shot-one
August 12, 2005, 11:31 AM
with mixed matchs (bear vs lion/tiger) is the weight difference, off the top of my head a large cat goes what 500-600 lbs.? a brown or polar bear 800-1200 lbs.? makes a big difference. at the same weight the cat might have the edge but if it is giving away several hundred pounds it changes the odds.
all this is assuming a fight to the death and not a decision by the judges.

Shalako
August 12, 2005, 02:28 PM
I have heard tales that in the mining camps of the California gold rush, they'd pit a grizz against a mean Texas longhorn. That sounds pretty gorey.

countertop
August 12, 2005, 04:54 PM
Its my understanding that a polar bear can take a grizzly. Don't know fur sure, but I believed I read that in National Geographic a few years back. In any case, Polar Bears used to kill lots of people.

As far as most fearsome predator, I think thats probably still a shark - the great white or a tiger shark or something.

They are just ferocious off the coast of south africa (Have you ever seen the videos of GW Sharks jumping out of the water to get seals) as well as in the straights between Australia and Indonesia.

In the water, I wouldn't want to tangle with a shark. Ouch!

countertop
August 12, 2005, 04:59 PM
Poinsonous snakes might be the most deadly to have a run in with, but I don't think you can call them predators - at least not of humans or any other decent sized animal.

Lonestar.45
August 12, 2005, 06:44 PM
Everybody knows it's the Chupacabra.

Dr.Rob
August 12, 2005, 07:14 PM
Animal Plant does that whole 'Bear vs. Shark' show called Animal Face Off...

The Lion beats the Tiger because its a social cat that practices to fight ALL THE TIME.. tigers are solitary and while larger... they are not as agressive. You can supposedly fend off a tiger attack by wearing a mask on the back of your head (tigers don't like to attack from the front when healthy... cornered and wounded is something else.)

National Geo ran an amazing photo of Lions attacking and killing an adult elephant... and many go after cape buffalo. Tough critters. Even so the Masai don't think twice about hunting them with spears.

The most dangerous animal to HUNT is supposed to be The Cape Buffalo.

But as far as predators go... Bears are pretty darn dangerous at any size. Territorial, large, claws and teeth... but wolves and bears seem to stay out of each others way. Wolves have strength in numbers, one on one they have disadvantages.

Supposedly one of the most successful predators in the world is the African wild dog. They run in big packs and you'd want a BUNCH of ammo if you were cornered by them.

jpmc
August 12, 2005, 07:46 PM
Feral dogs, ran into a pack of six in ohio woods. These things actually stalked me. Now I know what a coon feels like. None of them survived the attack. If I had been unarmed, I have no doubt I would have been killed. If I remember right, this was 15 yr. ago, it was two German shepherds, two large hounds, and two smaller dogs. Odd but the two smaller dogs led the attack. :uhoh:

Geno
August 12, 2005, 09:10 PM
I would have to vote for my mother-in-law! Psych! :eek: Sorry 'bout that fellas! Actually I love her to pieces. She is a real gem.

I too vote the hippo...wicked, and a close second, the female elephant (WITH YOUNG) in toe.

Doc2005

Matt G
August 12, 2005, 09:35 PM
Art, I would think that for North America, the polar bear would get the nod. They don't see anything moving, above or below the ice, that isn't food. Yes, I realize that it's not just North America, but Nnnnnnnnnnorth America! :)

MinScout
August 13, 2005, 02:05 AM
A Grizzly is more powerful than a big cat, but which is more "dangerous" ? I'd have to give that one to the tigers of India. They boldly enter villages and snatch people from their very beds! I also recently saw a video where a tiger made rather short work of a much larger crocodile. Impressive!

Balog
August 13, 2005, 02:20 AM
Damn, lions killing elephants, tigers killing crocs...

where do ya'll find this stuff?

killzone
August 13, 2005, 04:15 AM
Guys It does not get any better than this - wolf is the ultra evolved and super powerful and most of the time high in numbers that makes them unquestionable killing machines. That Like the blood more that they like the flesh and bone. That is why they have always been the most respected land animal after the bald egal.(not just because its out national symbol or it also refers to freedom) Wolves are always are. Their complex and flexable yet powerful body structure allows them to reach out and bite the biggest bear's neck and tear it apart while the others are already eating the poor bears butt and ears :evil:

Art Eatman
August 13, 2005, 12:43 PM
I reckon the topmost land predator is the double-breasted bureaucrat, particularly those armed with a law degree and governmental authority. The total absence of compassion, sense of humor or common sense contributes to a degree of deadliness hitherto unknown in the annals of history.

Consider the gleam in the beady little eyes as its decision ends the livelihood of a family...

Art

fisherman66
August 13, 2005, 01:20 PM
I'm surprised nobody said Kodiak.

If you want to loosen your definition of preditor then I think the Bubonic Plague may fit the bill since it uses the host to reproduce and provide sustenence.

rico700
August 13, 2005, 06:27 PM
Would have to be a rabid South Dakota pocket gopher- a big one! :what:

Rupestris
August 14, 2005, 12:22 AM
"Death awaits you all... with big nasty, pointy teeth..."

http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_pictures/grail/small/HolyGrail180.jpg
http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_pictures/grail/small/HolyGrail182.jpg
http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_pictures/grail/small/HolyGrail177.jpg

Horsesense
August 14, 2005, 01:51 AM
The tiger prays on black bear up to 600 lbs. on a regular base, in the wild. The African lion V's the tiger is a fifty fifty deal. The tiger is bigger (longer) and stronger but the mail African loin is taller and has lots of fur protecting its neck.

I did read about an 800 griz killing an adult African lion in a pit match.

This all has to be true…. I read it on the Internet.

22-rimfire
August 14, 2005, 02:48 AM
"Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!" Depends where you are as to what the most dangerous non-human predator is. MAN is the most dangerous predator of all. If they ever clone dinosaurs (as in the movies), I may change that assertion! I can't imagine anything more deadly than a really big carniverous reptile.

arcticap
August 14, 2005, 10:43 PM
Having what must be the world's beadiest eyes, I think the most dangerous predators are those "grey" aliens that frequented upstate N.Y. and were described in the book "Communion" (Whitley Striber). They arrive in a pack in your bedroom while your asleep and freeze all of your muscles with their super telepathic mind controlling paralysis. Then they float you up into their lair (craft) and probe all of your body cavities while your still awake, robbing your "tissue" samples and implanting tracking devices not of a known earthly origin under your skin. Then they place you back in your bed only to return and do it over and over again whenever they feel like it. Man, talk about being fierce! :what:

Cosmoline
August 14, 2005, 11:00 PM
Griz have a lot of fight in them, but they're only half the size of a brown bear boar. I'd say the most *potentially* dangerous predator would be a toss-up between coastal brownies and polar bear. In a pit fight I suspect the brownie would have an edge because it has more protection for its neck in the form of hide and fat, whereas the polar bear has a longer leaner neck.

That said, brownies avoid fights and thankfully have little interest in man--Malibu hippies aside.

45crittergitter
August 15, 2005, 11:12 PM
I AM. :evil:

On the deer stats, I'm pretty sure those include deaths resulting from auto collisions with deer.

GunGoBoom
August 16, 2005, 12:20 AM
I've heard that up on the ice cap, the polar bears hunt YOU, not the other way around. Sure would like to see a polar bear vs. tiger fight, or coastal kodiac/brownie vs. tiger.

I reckon the topmost land predator is the double-breasted bureaucrat, particularly those armed with a law degree and governmental authority. The total absence of compassion, sense of humor or common sense contributes to a degree of deadliness hitherto unknown in the annals of history.

Consider the gleam in the beady little eyes as its decision ends the livelihood of a family...

OMG, that's classic, Art - LMAO.

borrowedtime69
August 16, 2005, 02:14 AM
QUOTE: "Not including man, and speaking only of land animals, what is the most dangerous predator? By "most dangerous" I mean...what is the one predator that would be most likely to kill any other predator in a fight?"

Well, the most vicious preditor that would for sure kill me in a fight is the wife if she catches me bringing home another firearm.... i shudder to think of the carnage and the gore that would result in her frenzied attack .... :what:

my vote is, if it cant be MAN, it has to be WOMAN!!!! - Eric

pauli
August 17, 2005, 08:43 AM
landshark.

mbartel
August 19, 2005, 08:29 PM
The mosquito..... More human deaths have been attributed to the female mosquito than all other animals combined. Ironic isn't it? The deadliest predator of all time (humans) can be so easily killed by the lowly mosquito.

sc1911cwp
August 20, 2005, 07:57 PM
Not including man....the "female" is the most dangerous" in almost all species. Just don't tell a man that. :)

Magnuumpwr
August 28, 2005, 01:21 AM
I maybe wrong but when I think of a predator, meat eating things come to mind. With that being said I would have to put my money on the Kodiak bear on a heads up "Battle Royale".

dpesec
August 28, 2005, 12:38 PM
Let's see if you exclude politicians. I'm not sure you'd qualify them as human :D . I think they're classified Homo Walletgrabs or possiblity of GunGrabs, but scientists haven't been able to survive long enough around these criters to determine which is which.
Seriously, I'd have to agree the Polar Bear.
Sea the Shark.

stevelyn
August 28, 2005, 01:43 PM
Polar bear.

Of course not strictly a land animal since they spend a lot of time in the water, but when they're not bobbing for seals they're on land.
The polar bear has no natural enemies besides man, and they aren't afraid of him either. In the polar bear's world, everything that isn't another polar bear is something to eat.

A Kodiak/coastal brown bear will usually run when confronted by humans or be indifferent to human presence. The inland grizzly tends to be a bit more aggressive, but they too will still run from a human encounter.

A few years ago at an air force station on Oliktok Point, a polar bear broke into an occupied building by going through a window that was about 8 ft or better off the ground. It was eventually killed after terrorizing everyone inside. I imagine this bear looked in the window and figured it was McDonald's drive-thru for polar bear and went in rather than waiting for someone to take his order.

Kman
August 28, 2005, 01:54 PM
Anybody even consider these two?? In the sea, the killer whale is hands down the dominate predator, traveling in small pods and routinely killing, eating whales and sharks. Discovery channel did a bit on the travels of great whites and how they follow the food sources. Off the coast of CA. researchers are watching these whites hunt sea lions in the waters off a small island and notice a pod of killer whales come in, thinking they are going to feed on the sea lions as well, when suddenly a great white comes flying out of the water with a killer whale attached to it!! so the great white is not the top of the food chain in the sea. Saltwater crocodiles, are true predators as well, hunting the riverbanks, and coastal regions of SE Asia, from India to N. Australia, and all the little islands in between. Large males can weigh well over 2000 lb. and reach lengths over 20'. They eat whatever they can catch, nothing is ommited, from livestock to water buffalo, humans of course, anything that drinks from the riverbank is fair game. The sad thing is that the largest ones were the first to go during the unrestricted trophy hunting of the 40's, 50's, 60's. There were claims of giants in the 25' to 30' range!!

Jeeper
August 28, 2005, 02:44 PM
Hillary Clinton with PMS

sc1911cwp
August 28, 2005, 05:31 PM
I agree with the skeeter, however consider that IT is the female of the species that needs blood for egg fertilization. :uhoh:

GunGoBoom
August 31, 2005, 11:28 PM
Yeah, and also agree with the person who said that nothing messes with a large african elephant. Although a coastal brownie or polar bear may be the baddest predator, it would be annihilated in a cage match with a large bull elephant, IINM.

kserg
September 1, 2005, 10:43 PM
Hillary Clinton with PMS

Good call on the "none human" factor...

"Death awaits you all... with big nasty, pointy teeth..."

Nothing a holy grenade couldnt fix...

http://www.bigballz.com/random/HolyGrenade.jpg

1 2 5... 3 sir 3!!

For my first post i would like to warn everyone that uselessness of useless is my useless specialty... so expect useless post and bring on the uselessness!

<3

Diamondback
September 11, 2005, 11:06 PM
The mosquito..... More human deaths have been attributed to the female mosquito than all other animals combined. Ironic isn't it? The deadliest predator of all time (humans) can be so easily killed by the lowly mosquito

On the continent of Africa the mosquito carriyng the malarial virus is today the NUMBER ONE cause of death in children under the age of 12......once again malaria has receched epidemic proportions in Africa propelled by the recent reduction in use of of mass pestcides and an enourmous influx of urban populations into malarial infested regions. It just goes to remind us....death also comes in small packages.

-regards

rick_reno
September 12, 2005, 01:27 AM
I was stalked once by a mountain lion, it was a very scary encounter to have that big cat circling me all the way off a mountain here in the Idaho Panhandle. I've never had anything else do that - so I'd put them right up there as a dangerous critter.

Z_Infidel
September 12, 2005, 04:29 PM
The example of a wolf killing a Grizzly seems strange indeed, since Grizzlies often track hunting wolf packs and steal their kills from them. And recently it was reported that a captive Grizzly killed a wolf over a bone in front of about 25 people in Canada.

Lions are the only land predators that routinely kill prey animals larger than themselves -- other than those that hunt in packs.

I don't think a meaningful conclusion could be reached based on any single encounter, and I think it would depend on the individual animals involved. This reminds me of the whole "Samurai vs Knight" thing.

Well waddya know... here's a web site with several pages dedicated to the question:

http://www.lairweb.org.nz/tiger/conflict.html

dilish
December 29, 2007, 07:06 AM
That is King Cobras of South India,they can standup 6ft high,looks striate in to your eyes,and its known to attack Elephents also,and its prayes on other snakes even ther cobras also,if it bite a man he will die with in 8 minitue.but the most power ful animal is Royal Bengal Tigers,unlike Lion they hunts alone,they even attack and kill Elephants and crocodailes also(you can watch in youtube,one tiger in Kassirenga National Park ,Assam,India attacking a man on the top of a elephent,one another Tiger from Ranthabore National Park in Rajasthan,India attacking and killing a crock),India is the only place Tigers and Lions leave together,normaly lions will avoid a tiger terriotory.tiger and lion both have their own advantages and disadvantages, but tiger got little upper hand over lions:)

JackOfAllTradesMasterAtNone
December 31, 2007, 02:38 PM
Ok, the cats were mentioned. They are predators.

Hippos are not. Neither are Elephants or Water Buffalo.

Crocks and Gators are predators but I look at them more like opportunists.

We've got snakes and Lizards and insects that are predatory, but are also opportunists.

There are Birds of prey, and big Sharks, even Squid. Orca are actually pretty particular at what they eat and even though they're dubbed the 'Killer Whale', haven't been predator toward man in -forever.

Any of the large cats are Bad A$$'s, and pound for pound there are very few even matchups. Including Mountain Lion vs Wolf. I've got to agree with STEVELYN in an earlier post, "In the polar bear's world, everything that isn't another polar bear is something to eat."

Because even in a Lion's or Tiger's world, everything that roams the land is not food. From what I've read, for the most part, Tigers don't mess with primates! Cats support the 'Strong shall survive' rule. The weak, the slow, those are the easy prey of cats. Discovery Channal ran a simulated show/series a while back with a Grizzly vs Tiger/Lion. IIRC the Bear won both times. There were several other simulations.

Polar Bears just don't care. If he can smell you, (from four miles away), you're on the dinner menu. Now that's a true predator.

And what's this I've heard? Polar Bears crossbreading with Grizzly's?

-Steve

bromdenlong
January 3, 2008, 10:45 PM
z Infidel wrote:

Lions are the only land predators that routinely kill prey animals larger than themselves -- other than those that hunt in packs.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Nope. Leopards do it all the time, and they are strictly solo hunters. They routinely kill animals that outweigh them, and then haul their carcasses up into trees so they can eat in peace.

Wolverines and shrews also come to mind, as do some snakes. And speaking of snakes, the mongoose can kill and eat snakes bigger than it is. I think that the mongoose can hunt alone or in groups.

I'm sure others can come up with other examples.

Banta
January 3, 2008, 11:42 PM
I have no hesitation to say in North America it would be the Polar Bear. They show no fear and if you are in their territory, you are food. Unlike other bears that will generally not bother you unless you startle them, they have cubs or are protecting a kill, the polar bear will hunt you.

BTW, here is a good book to read about one womans solo Arctic journey. Polar bear threats were a constant fear.

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Dream-First-Expedition-Magnetic/dp/0939165457

MCgunner
January 4, 2008, 09:36 AM
My vote to the tiger, the lion, and in North America, the Polar Bear. No snake stalks a human for food. Snakes defend themselves and will get out of the way before striking. Mountain lion will stalk a man, a nature photog friend ( www.jameshersey.com ) was stalked by a young animal in the Guadalupes on the Texas side, McKitrick canyon, ran it off by swinging his tripod at it. He said it was a bit like a kitten stalking a mouse, LOL, young cat. But, they do attack joggers and such and it ain't just play. More dangerous, I think, is the Jaguar, bigger, will eat humans for food. Griz, well, they've done it, but they're down the list I think. Gators? Just don't go swimming with big, hungry gators. Gator attacks are quite rare, though they have happened around here. They're more noted for taking Labrador retrievers in early teal season than humans, though. They ain't salt water crocks or African crocks by any stretch, but they are quite dangerous and not something you wanna play with.

ZeSpectre
January 4, 2008, 10:24 AM
Somebody else beat me to it, but I say Wolverines.

LAK
January 4, 2008, 11:30 AM
Pound for pound I would say the leopard.

macFarlaine
January 4, 2008, 11:39 AM
It has to be THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLE, one nasty dog,very rarely seen but it's there in the fog waiting for elderly American and Japanese tourists.

johnnydangerously
January 4, 2008, 01:03 PM
look up this animal called a Liger. I'm not kidding its a mix between a lion and a tiger, and it is ENORMOUS. Match that up with the grizz for a fairer weight class match up

351 WINCHESTER
January 4, 2008, 11:26 PM
I have watched cats (house cast, bobcats) in real life. They are probably better stalkers than anything I can think of. They are quick (I mean real quick). I've seen more dogs, big and small, run away from a cat fight with their tails tucked between their legs. I have a lot of respect for cats. I once saw a rather large bobcat take down a medium size deer. It was very quick and deceisive. There was hair flying everywhere and it was over in just a few seconds.

Kman
January 5, 2008, 12:43 AM
I just saw where the largest recorded Polar bear weighed over a ton,:eek: the largest recorded brown/griz, 2500lb kinda thought the polar bear was larger, but the Kodiak Grizzly is king, the island has everything in the form of variety and abundance of foods.

Nom de Guerre
January 5, 2008, 03:54 AM
I think on land the Kodiak and the Polar Bear are both top predators in their respective ranges.

In the sea, I'd go with giant squid. Those things have gone after whales, and not just calves, but mature whales.

An interesting trivia question...

What animal has the highest measured/recorded testosterone level of all?

dirty dave
January 8, 2008, 04:55 AM
Had a coyote sneak up on me once turkey hunting.Must have sounded like a sick wounded hen.Here in my state in fall can take two hens a day for one weekend.Took one that morning dressed it guess between my calling and the smell of blood brought the coyote sneaking on me like a cat.He was surprised .

Constantine-p89
January 8, 2008, 05:07 AM
A Silverback Gorilla.

Nom de Guerre
January 8, 2008, 11:49 AM
Supposedly the animal with the highest testosterone levels is a Bull Shark.

http://www.pelagic.org/overview/time2001cover_a.html

Read the 2nd paragraph under the Bull Shark section.

Z_Infidel
January 8, 2008, 12:13 PM
bromdenlong: yep, you're correct. In fact, I've learned about that since I posted that message. Snow Leopards are especially impressive in what they can do in the terrain where they live. The big cats are all really impressive in their own ways.

As far as house cats are concerned, they possess many of the same traits as the big cats. They can indeed intimidate domestic dogs -- even big ones to a point. But I've personally witnessed a coyote kill a big tomcat with no hesitation. I think it's the wildness that makes a difference.

In the sea, I'd say the Orca is probably the top of the food chain. They've been known to kill great white sharks, squid, etc...

RandyB
January 8, 2008, 12:25 PM
All dangerous game attack from ambush or trapping their prey. A pack of wolves 'herd' their kill to a point where numbers work. Their sucess rate is much better than lions, tigers, and bears, oh my! That being said they can't climb trees. To me the most dangerous animal to humans other than the venomious ones is the gaters and crocs. you have to have water and their ambush site, plus the ability to drown and cause blood loss makes them particularly dangerous. Bears are probably the toughest to put down when they charge, esp. the larger griz, browns, and polar types. Tigers and leopords are great stalk and ambush hunters and I wouldn't want them to make a meal out of me, same for lions. Techniques differ with the terrain and make them sucessful with where they hunt. A gator on land is less dangerous than one in water IMHO, so I think that determining which is more dangerous would depend on terrain, duration of time in the location, are we hunting them or they hunting us, availabliity of trees, etc.

H&Hhunter
January 10, 2008, 01:41 AM
From what I've read two animals that will hunt man for food with no compunction about it at all are the Jaguar and the Polar Bear.

The most worried I've ever been in an animal situation was with a herd of agitated cow elephant. Those girls will try to cut your wind and methodically hunt you down and kill you.

I'd take on a wounded dagga boy cape buffalo bull any day over a herd of po'ed cow elephant.

I've done both I don't wish to repeat either.

I've also been straight up alert in big bear country a few times. The big bears are awe inspiring.

kserg
January 10, 2008, 01:49 AM
werewolf are pretty scary... unless you have a silver bullet...

eliphalet
January 10, 2008, 04:31 AM
What is the most dangerous predator? The one that gets ya.

DogBonz
January 10, 2008, 03:47 PM
No, zombies are not the most dangerous.... I was referring to this thread... revived from the dead.

Someone said:wolf is the ultra evolved and super powerful and most of the time high in numbers that makes them unquestionable killing machines. Their complex and flexable yet powerful body structure allows them to reach out and bite the biggest bear's neck and tear it apart while the others are already eating the poor bears butt and ears

There is a lot of truth to this. In times of famine, lone wolves have been known, (and video taped) to attack and kill brownies. Most times these are young, old, or wounded bears, and the wolf is acting out of desperation, but they are still big bears. Pound for pound, the wolf is one of the most capable
predators on the planet, weather alone and even more so in as part of a pack. They are after all, the most successful predators on the planet next to humans.

Also, as a side note, from what I have read, Leopards are the most dangerous animal when wounded. They are statistically more likely to charge their attacker than any other animal if wounded.

hrgrisso
January 10, 2008, 04:11 PM
While many venemous (yes venemous not poisonous) snakes have been mentioned I believe the constrictor class of snakes should be VERY high on the list. Not as high as polar bears but Pythons and Anacondas fear nothing. They may be bushwhackers, but it works. I've seen pics with men, dogs, and even mature big cats in the stomachs of large snakes.

A friend of the family back in the fifties was in the bush in South Africa when he was dropped on by a large ?Python?. It took his guides a long time to cut the snake off him, they said the only thing that saved his life was his old service pistol on his hip (he'd been in the Army Air Corps with my dad) pushing against his metal frame pack on one side, and his camera and case on the other. Broke many bones in his body in just a few minutes. Thats power!

In fact I'm VERY interested to see what happens in Florida in the next thirty years as the growing problem of Pythons develops even more in the everglades. I think everyone saw the pic of the 13 foot python and the 12 foot aligator. There are 15 foot snakes now. What happens when they reach the size that they do in their natural habitats?

I think it's time Florida starts a Python season! :neener:

RIDE
January 10, 2008, 04:15 PM
easy... a virus.

stevereno1
January 10, 2008, 09:34 PM
" it's a Liger, a mix between a lion and tiger... It's pretty much my favorite animal. Bred for it's skills and magic."-napolian dynamite.

stevereno1
January 10, 2008, 09:36 PM
mosquitos? Almost wiped out africa in the late 1800's and early 1900's.

CoRoMo
January 11, 2008, 01:04 PM
Easy one. No other predator on earth hunts this fella.
He'll hunt them all, and in a square fight will win every time!

http://www.searealm.com/images/Crocodylus/porosus/Saltwater_crocodile_1_440.jpg

Quigley
January 11, 2008, 01:21 PM
Hillary hands down:evil:

kserg
January 11, 2008, 08:05 PM
CoRoMo: I thought humans hunt gators? No? Because it's pretty tasty... Yum...

moosehunt
January 12, 2008, 03:48 AM
Well, I have a hard time disagreeing about Hillary. And mosquitos don't kill anyone, or at least virtually none; it's the malaria parisite that they transmit does the killing.

But nobody has mentioned a very real, horrid preditor--the Spotted Hyena. Many folks think of them only as scavengers. WRONG! They are also killers with no fear. They do not back down from African lions; they will attack and kill anything. They have the most powerful jaws of any land animal. They tend to go for the huevos first, which pretty much takes the fight out of most critters. I walked up to a 175 pounder I shot (yes, a huge one) and would have sworn the devil was laying there! That mouth full of white teeth was down right spooky. The natives are pretty "respectful"--spelled scared, petrified, etc of this guy! That in itself is a problem, because he isn't even a true "guy"--he's both female and male and that would make anything have a bad outlook on life. Better give "him" some consideration.

But still, Hillary. Lord have mercy!!!!

You know, Chelsie was talking to Gen. Pertraius (excuse the spelling) and asked if he was afraid of anything. He said yes, 3 things. Osama, Obama, and Yo-mama!

Deer Hunter
January 12, 2008, 04:18 AM
Humans.

Hippos kill more people in Africa every year than crocs and lions put together.

sammoh
January 12, 2008, 05:40 AM
I'd have to go with a Kodiak or other large browns. Huge animals, huge claws, huge teeth and amazing strength and stamina. Males can weigh over 1500lbs. I'd like to see a lone wolf weighing around 150lbs or so take one of those out. I doubt any big cat would mess with one either.

Sam

phantomak47
January 12, 2008, 02:51 PM
Elephants , I forgot the statistics , but 1 out of 20 times a person escapes a Lion attack. With regards to Elephants, 2 out of 3 times, the person is killed.

Its amazing how fast a Hippo can run out of water, they can cruise.

Pigspitter
January 13, 2008, 12:12 AM
Bear Grylls

He wouldn't hesitate to eat you in a survival situation.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the most dangerous predator?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!