PDA

Desertdog
August 14, 2005, 01:21 AM
Sounds good to me. ;)

Effort to take Breyer's home moving ahead
Libertarian Party chief wants public to decide in March
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=45755

By Joe Kovacs

The effort to seize the vacation home of Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer is moving ahead toward the goal of a public vote in March.

That according to John Babiarz, chairman of the New Hampshire's Libertarian Party, who appeared tonight on the Fox News Channel's "Hannity & Colmes" program.

"We have every intention of doing the proper petitioning and have the people of Plainfield make the decision," Babiarz said. "We're in the petition-gathering stage right now."

Babiarz, a 2002 candidate for governor in the Granite State, stressed the seriousness of the issue in the wake of the high court's recent ruling on eminent domain, giving governments the power to transfer private property from one private party to another. The decision ignited a firestorm of outrage across the political spectrum.

"Property rights are very important," said Babiarz, who would like Breyer's land to become a public park. "It's got to go from talk to action. ... I think the justices don't realize the impact [of their decision]."

Justice Stephen Breyer

Justice Breyer, who owns 167 acres in the Connecticut River Valley in Plainfield, N.H., is the second Supreme Court justice to be targeted for property seizure.

Justice David Souter's home is also in the crosshairs of a California entrepreneur who's looking to build the "Lost Liberty Hotel" on Souter's land in the town of Weare, N.H.

As WND exclusively reported this week, Breyer made news beyond eminent domain by saying not all rulings from America's highest court are correct, admitting judges don't have "some great special insight," and he defended the practice of studying courts in foreign countries to help decide cases in the United States.

If you enjoyed reading about "Effort to take Breyer's home moving ahead" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sergeant Bob
August 14, 2005, 03:30 AM
While it's a really cool idea and entertaining to think about, it ain't gonna happen.

ravinraven
August 14, 2005, 07:30 AM
"While it's a really cool idea and entertaining to think about, it ain't gonna happen."

Question: Do you think that the "...ain't gonna happen..." is because NH will enact laws to protect all people there from the PPP [Property Piracy Pimps] or because we have a case of one law for the elite and another for the sheeple?

rr

Brett Bellmore
August 14, 2005, 08:32 AM
The latter. The "justices" of the Supreme court are some of the most sheltered people on the face of the planet.

garyk/nm
August 14, 2005, 08:50 AM
Option C;
This one was destined for failure from the beginning, due to a fatal flaw in reasoning: The stated new purpose (a park) is not going to be higher income producing than it's present use. This issue is not about public use, but rather revenue enhancement.

Jim March
August 14, 2005, 09:44 AM
But they can get around that problem with a public vote!

A public vote is EXACTLY what the issue needs, esp. in NH.

Oh hell yes - GO GUYS!

Taurus 66
August 14, 2005, 11:04 AM
LOL! My dream come true! It's good to see some of these laws coming back to bite them in the behind. :cool:

Standing Wolf
August 14, 2005, 07:59 PM
It's got to go from talk to action. ... I think the justices don't realize the impact [of their decision...

The founding fathers would be proud.

Zrex
August 14, 2005, 08:46 PM
Legalized theft is still theft.

The Real Hawkeye
August 14, 2005, 09:18 PM
This one was destined for failure from the beginning, due to a fatal flaw in reasoning: The stated new purpose (a park) is not going to be higher income producing than it's present use.Parks bring in money through concessions, admission charges, parking charges, etc.

Flyboy
August 14, 2005, 11:09 PM
Zrex:Legalized theft is still theft.
I agree in general, but I would say this is a slightly different case than mere theft.

Consider that we don't consider it to be theft when the government takes money or property from a criminal (following a conviction, of course); it's part of his penalty.

In this case, there is no court in which to try Souter, Breyer, and Pals, save for the Court of Public Opinion. The jury has returned a nearly unanimous verdict, which almost never happens. In this case, since it's the legal system being used--and, more specifically, the method that is the very reason the "accused" are condemned--it could be argued that this is justice, even working within the law.

It's a stretch, and such arguments need to be watched carefully for signs of rationalization (I'm not sure I'm not just making this up to rationalize my own desire to see them lie in the bed they made), but, carefully applied, this seems like a pretty just thing to do.

Consider that the Founding Fathers and their contemporaries had no problem with assaulting and executing British soldiers, officials, and similar; vandalizing British property and private property (tea, in one case); and other activities we'd generally denounce as both illegal and morally wrong. Because they were the actions of the oppressed against their oppressors, though, we consider them to be heroic and laudable (that the victors write the history books doesn't hurt a bit).

It's a sticky issue; while I don't like to see eminent domain used for private gain, I wonder if punishing the guilty for violating the most sacred values of the country doesn't count as a "public use."

Worth considering, anyway.

The Real Hawkeye
August 14, 2005, 11:29 PM
I wonder if punishing the guilty for violating the most sacred values of the country doesn't count as a "public use."Yes, it does. Excellent point.

Brad Johnson
August 15, 2005, 03:18 PM
Too bad it's a vacation home and not his primary residence.

Brad

Hawken50
August 15, 2005, 04:13 PM
Legalized theft is still theft.
and turnabout is fair play.

If you enjoyed reading about "Effort to take Breyer's home moving ahead" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!