Pistol Pete Disarmed

PDA

BryanP
August 15, 2005, 10:32 AM
'Pistol Pete' Mascot Will Lose Pistol (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/08/15/sports/s043910D32.DTL)

-
Monday, August 15, 2005

(08-15) 04:39 PDT Las Cruces, N.M. (AP) --

New Mexico State University's mascot, Pistol Pete, is being disarmed. University officials have also stripped the word "Pistol" from Pete's name. The new logo shows Pete twirling a lasso. The old Pete toted a pistol.

The changes are part of a marketing plan to remake the university's image on the national stage. Officials have been working on a redesign of Pistol Pete for months.

Athletics director McKinley Boston said the university plans to unveil the new Pete later this month.

The decision to remove the pistol had more to do with a consensus when picking from several designs of the new logo, rather than any push for the mascot to stop brandishing a weapon, Boston said.

He acknowledged there are mixed feelings among alumni, but said he has heard more positive feedback than negative.

Though no one seems to know exactly how long Pete has been around NMSU, the current costume is 40 years old.

Oscar Avalos, a 2003 NMSU graduate, was disappointed that Pete will no longer be packing his pistol at sporting events.

"Is he going to be Lasso Pete now?" Avalos asked.

NMSU also has unveiled new football uniforms and helmets, and officially designated crimson and white as its colors, eliminating black from all uniforms.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pistol Pete Disarmed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MaterDei
August 15, 2005, 10:35 AM
Political Correctness run amok.

mete
August 15, 2005, 10:43 AM
That remind s me -My friend asked if I was familiar with the very large canoes they called war canoes. I said yes, I've been in war canoes . He replied that they still make them but now call them peace canoes !!...A few years back Brigham Young Univ established a no beard ,no mustache policy. Well every building there had a painting or statue of Brigham Young - who wore a beard ! But they were consistant they were going to change every painting and statue to conform to the rules !!! The world of PC

Marnoot
August 15, 2005, 10:53 AM
who wore a beard ! But they were consistant they were going to change every painting and statue to conform to the rules !!! They never changed the paintings and statues. No one's gonna buy a depiction of Brigham Young without a beard! :p

HankB
August 15, 2005, 11:17 AM
This year, Pistol Pete becomes just Pete . . .

Next, year, he gets an orchidectomy . . . just like university officials.

Marnoot
August 15, 2005, 11:25 AM
Next, year, he gets an orchidectomy . . . just like university officials. :eek: Yep! It won't be long before masculinity is of itself offensive and to be eliminated. Or is that time already arriving?... :uhoh:

TallPine
August 15, 2005, 12:05 PM
Might as while just call him "Lariat Larry" :rolleyes:

And he could bring some of his flower arrangements to the games ... :p :D

Standing Wolf
August 15, 2005, 08:59 PM
You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried.

MechAg94
August 15, 2005, 09:46 PM
Aren't those constume mascots usually worn by cheerleaders?

I can't wait for Texas Tech to try this since their hand sign is a guns up. :)

Hardware
August 15, 2005, 10:37 PM
True story, the University of Massachusetts is embroiled in a small scandal. You see native american students claim that the school's mascot, the Minuteman is offensive to them since is shows a white male with a gun. They petitioned to get the mascot changed to one that is more friendly to native americans and does not represent the single gender of the Minuteman.

The real irony here is that the mascot used to be the Redman, but it was changed during the '70's for being insensitive to native americans.

garyk/nm
August 15, 2005, 11:19 PM
Athletics director McKinley Boston

I think I see the problem. :neener:

Fred Fuller
August 16, 2005, 01:21 PM
Recent news from a campus near me- generous of the NCAA, to let a school founded for and largely attended by Native Americans to keep their 'politically incorrect' team name, wasn't it?

lpl/nc
======================

http://www.nbc17.com/education/4815196/detail.html

NCAA: UNC-Pembroke Can Keep Braves Mascot

POSTED: 2:10 pm EDT August 5, 2005
UPDATED: 3:03 pm EDT August 5, 2005

PEMBROKE, N.C. -- The University of North Carolina at Pembroke is the only school in the nation that will be allowed to use its Native American mascot and nickname in postseason athletic tournaments under new NCAA regulations announced Friday.

The NCAA's executive committee banned the use of Indian mascots by sports teams during postseason tournaments, but won't prohibit them otherwise. Chairman Walter Harrison said the committee decided they didn't have the authority to bar Indian mascots by individual schools.

Nicknames or mascots deemed "hostile or abusive" won't be allowed by teams on their uniforms or other clothing, beginning with any NCAA tournament after Feb. 1, said Harrison, the University of Hartford's president.

"What each institution decides to do is really its own business" outside NCAA championship events, he said.

UNCP's Braves mascot wasn't deemed offensive, primarily because of the school's heritage, NCAA spokesman Bob Williams said.

The college was founded to serve Native Americans and did so exclusively for 67 years. A high percentage of its student body continues to be Native American, as are a number of the college's administrators. ... (end quote)

crewsr
August 16, 2005, 02:07 PM
I did email the alumni about how I felt. pure symbolism over substance :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Pistol Pete Disarmed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!