Interesting cleaning supplies?

PDA

Gifted
August 16, 2005, 02:06 AM
I know a few. Aside from patches and rags, you generally have a few things that help get in the nooks and crannies and such. Q-tips I believe are known here, but how many people use pipe cleaners? I need to get some thicker, longer ones from the craft store to replace the ones I got at Wally-world near the smoking supplies, but they work quite well for most things.

You have something interesting that would boggle the mind that you use to help you clean your guns?

If you enjoyed reading about "Interesting cleaning supplies?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Double Maduro
August 16, 2005, 02:38 AM
Gifted,

For the good pipe cleaners, go to a pipe shop.

Also, go to a computer supply house or medical supply house and get some lint free swabs. Like q-tips but they don't leave pieces of cotton behind.

Compressed air in cans, also at computer supply house.

Don't forget toothpicks.

DM

mattw
August 16, 2005, 02:57 AM
air compressor :rolleyes:

M-Rex
August 16, 2005, 03:07 AM
I have an assortment of old toothbrushes, and dental picks. :D

Dr.Rob
August 16, 2005, 04:08 AM
toothbrush, dental picks, wooden toothpics, pipe cleaners, sharpie pen (the cap is great for taking apart a Ruger Mk 1 & 2 target pistol)... Ed's Red (have made gallons of the stuff)... have even used a 'makeup sponge' to apply gun oil. Chore boy copper scrubbing pad (great on stainless cylinders) And I kid you not I know one guy that used to carry a tampon in the field with a long wire as an 'emergency shotgun brush'. :scrutiny:

RoyG
August 16, 2005, 07:40 AM
The Dollar Tree has these craft pipe cleaners. Not really pipe cleaners but made for craft stuff. Long and thick. And only a buck a bag!

1911 guy
August 16, 2005, 11:40 AM
Lighter fluid. Hold the action over your sink of outside and pour naptha over it to loosen and rinse away funk that accumulates in autoloaders. Evaporates completely, leaves no film.

armedandsafe
August 16, 2005, 12:03 PM
An air brush with cleaning solvent in the jar is really handy.

Pops

JohnBT
August 16, 2005, 12:04 PM
Plastic dental picks made by Tipton IIRC. I have a bunch of real dental picks my dentist gave me, but I'm afraid to use them on my better guns if I've been drinking coffee.

John

Henry Bowman
August 16, 2005, 12:07 PM
Lighter fluid. Hold the action over your sink of outside and pour naptha over it to loosen and rinse away funk that accumulates in autoloaders. Evaporates completely, leaves no film. If you use a lot of it, you can buy it by the gallon as Coleman stove/lantern fuel. It too is napthaline (also known as "white gas").

slopemeno
August 16, 2005, 12:14 PM
Lead wipe-away cloth. Brake-Kleen. Bulk diaper-rags from a janitorial supply house. Simple green degreaser. For cleaning mag wells (have you seen how much stuff accumulates in there?) janitorial supply houses carry long bottle brushes that can be bent into various shapes.

Stickjockey
August 16, 2005, 12:47 PM
Right next to hte toothbrushes in your local supermarket is a little dealie called an "interdental brush." They generally come with a cone-shaped brush head and a cylindrical head, both about 1/4" long and 1/16" in diameter. Very handy for cleaning out percussion nipples on BP guns and getting into those tough places.

Standing Wolf
August 16, 2005, 05:03 PM
Lewis lead remover. Even if you don't have an accumulation of lead in your barrels, it does a fine job on throats.

scout26
August 16, 2005, 08:10 PM
I got a bunch (5,000+) of eyeliner brushes that are good for gas tubes and other small nooks and cranies......

Spray Brake Cleaner, Pipecleaners, Toothbrushes (BTW they were invented in West Virgina, because if they been invented anywhere else, they be called TEETHbrushes :neener: ).

entropy
August 16, 2005, 08:11 PM
The long medical applicators like Q-tips, bottle brushes, and dental picks were three things I picked up using while Armorer in a Medical Unit. There are long pipe cleaners made specifically for gas tubes, but the shorter ones are more utilitarian. ;)

Tropical Z
August 17, 2005, 11:34 AM
Toothbrushes (BTW they were invented in West Virgina, because if they been invented anywhere else, they be called TEETHbrushes ).
That's hilarious! :D
I don't know where you people successfully use pipe cleaners.I find them to be a waste of time.

Gifted
August 17, 2005, 12:42 PM
Gas tubes mostly; the Baikal has the ports from the barrel easily accessible, and I find them useful to clean that out. And holes where springs and guides go in, pins, what have you. It's a really thin wire covered in brush, it doesn't take much imagination to figure out where they can come in handy.

Red Dragon
August 17, 2005, 01:38 PM
really long q-tips, breakfree, Toothbrushes, dental picks, and dremel tool with various brush bits (works great for getting that stubborn gunk off the feed lip of the barrel):D

Sharps Shooter
August 17, 2005, 02:16 PM
Windex window cleaner, the "with vinegar" kind, is great for black powder. Dumping a 22oz spray bottle of it in a 1 gallon milk jug and then filling the jug with water yields enough solvent to last for years. And it removes black powder fouling like magic. It wasn't my idea though - I got it from Mike Venturino's excellent book - "Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West."

SMLE
August 17, 2005, 05:51 PM
When I used to shoot a lot of black powder, I used pipe cleaners to clean out the nipples on my percussion guns.

I also use plain hot water and a funnel to clean up after shooting corrosive primed mil-surp ammo.

I use dry silicon lube spray on my magazines and followers after cleaning them.

RM
August 18, 2005, 07:52 PM
Whenever I order Chinese carry out, I always get a chopsticks. I have found these to be an extremly useful gunsmithing tool. Among other uses, you can push patches in and thru areas too small for fingers.

RnR
August 18, 2005, 08:07 PM
How about PROPERLY fitting screwdrivers or bits for all of those slot head screws our gear has?!

Methinks we all should have a set of Chapman or Brownells gunsmithing tools to get things apart without damage so that cleaning can proceed.

I'm gonna have to get an air compressor too, they are way cool... :cool:

MachIVshooter
August 18, 2005, 09:55 PM
dremel tool with various brush bits (works great for getting that stubborn gunk off the feed lip of the barrel)

Steel cup brushes are about the best way I have found to get the burn rings off the front of revolver cylinders, or the melted copper, etc. that builds up on the inside of the desert eagle frame near the gas piston port.

Someone else mentioned brake cleaner. Works great on metal guns (can damage plastic). Sheer volume and pressure will get all the loose crap out. That is usually a final step for me, once I've scrubbed and brushed.

I also use Simichrome polish on my shiny's when I'm done cleaning.

frenchwrench
September 4, 2005, 04:54 PM
Has anyone used Electric Contact Cleaner spray for cleaning brushes? Just wondered if it would work since it's free at work.

Geno
December 29, 2005, 11:46 PM
I'm ALWAYS looking for ways to pamper my fine firearms. Yesterday, I was reading Sinclair International's catalog, deep in fantasy, and turned to page 16...wow, Bore Cleaner, Bore paste. I was thinking to myself, yeah, yeah, yeah...blah, blah, blah.

Then, I kept reading. They talked about caked on powder, how solvants are made for copper, not powder...how these are layered on, etc, etc. Dang, it made sense! So, I was at the shooting range with my daughter (LittleSureShot1994) and saw this paste on the shelf. I bought it and brought it home. I cleaned the barrel as directed, and have NEVER had such a QUICK and EASY time of it!

Specifically, I bought the "J-B Non-embedding Bore Cleaning Compound". I was so impressed that I plan to order the Bore Polish. Literally, 5 times back and forth with a plastic bristle brush with a patch over it, with a combined ligth oil and this bore cleaner...5 runs and the bore was SPOTLESS!

I used to toil for 25 to 30 minutes to get them that clean! This stuff is extraordinary!

Doc2005

Standing Wolf
December 30, 2005, 01:16 AM
I use lengths of string soaked in Hoppe's No. 9 to clean barrel ports. I just pull it back and forth a few times, and most of the crud ends up on the string.

I've recently bought an ultrasonic cleaner. Instead of a single soap and water bath, I've discovered I get better results with two, followed by the "lubricating" bath that drives out water. I didn't say I like cleaning guns with soap and water, but that's what came with the unit.

tegemu
December 30, 2005, 07:28 AM
I find a nail invaluable. The pointy end both for hard to reach spots and for pushing a rag into hard to reach spots. Often the flat head also serves ideally. A needle or pin oiler, a small 2 inch plastic bottle with a 1 1/2 inch needle like tube, for oiling rails and precise points in the gun. The needle/pin oiler can be bought from Brownell but I bought mine at my local Hobby Shop, came full of Electric Motor oil.

Janitor
December 30, 2005, 08:03 AM
+1 on the dental picks and toothbrushes. Also found some toothbrush sized brass brushes at the hardware store. Nice for the carbon 'rings' on the front of a stainless cylinder.

And I kid you not I know one guy that used to carry a tampon in the field with a long wire as an 'emergency shotgun brush'.
:)

I used to have a hunting buddy that used a tampon as a drag behind scent dispenser. He'd soak it in scent (like fox urine) and tie it to a lower eyelet on his boot such that it dragged behind him a few inches as he hiked to his stand.
-

stevelyn
December 30, 2005, 10:52 PM
Jug of MPro-7 will make short work of cleaning.

chuckles
December 31, 2005, 03:05 PM
I use a couple of the cheap electric toothbrushes (and I agree about teethbrushes) with M-pro7 for some scrubbing tasks without being strong enough to damage anything.

phantomak47
December 31, 2005, 03:17 PM
I was wondering if anyone had one of those tental type picks that are made with a soft metal that wont scratch the metal? any websites?

If you enjoyed reading about "Interesting cleaning supplies?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!