Home made flamethrower

PDA

dasmi
August 16, 2005, 12:15 PM
I'm not sure where this sort of thing belongs, but I want one. Badly.
Enjoy.

http://www.chaffinchshoelace.com/view/2690/

If you enjoyed reading about "Home made flamethrower" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Third_Rail
August 16, 2005, 12:19 PM
Perfectly legal, too, though I'm not sure if it is in CA.

Legal by the ATF standards, anyway!

Sindawe
August 16, 2005, 12:20 PM
You and me both! :evil:

Dave R
August 16, 2005, 12:21 PM
Yankee ingenuity.

Personally, I coulda stopped with the world's best super-soaker...

Dionysusigma
August 16, 2005, 12:22 PM
Wasn't this on the SomethingAwful forums about a year ago? :confused:

Anyway, looks like fun if: A) You're more fireproof than water, and B) you're not on the receiving end. :evil:

http://carpetmonster.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/flame/animation3.gif

Third_Rail
August 16, 2005, 12:22 PM
Being me, I wouldn't make anything like that out of PVC. It's not exactly a great pressure vessel after UV exposure.

Old fire extinguisher fitted with a Schrader valve - that's what my super soaker will be. We'll see if I'm ever dumb enough to turn it into a burner.

dasmi
August 16, 2005, 12:25 PM
http://carpetmonster.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/flame/longjetstreet.jpg
Note the Prudential sign.
Our man did this in a residential neighborhood :)

EDIT:
Also check out this less creative flamethrower.
http://www.kernalpanic.org/movies/flamethrower.mpg

Third_Rail
August 16, 2005, 12:28 PM
He also, IIRC, called the ATF and asked if it was OK, and called the local PD and told them, along with the local FD.

His PARENTS are the ones who bought the parts for him. They also took the pictures and movies. :D :D

lwsimon
August 16, 2005, 12:42 PM
I want one. I'll keep it as a super soaker though :) Those damn kids next door are gonna be the ones soaked this time! MUAHAHAHAHAHA!

jdkelly
August 16, 2005, 01:00 PM
Is this a preview to next years Darwin Awards winner?:)

Respectfully,

jkelly

HankB
August 16, 2005, 01:01 PM
Looks not unlike what my cousins and I did a long, LONG time ago with an old compressor, a modified paint sprayer, and home-made napalm. (Gasoline thickened with Fels Naptha Soap.) :what:

They say the Almighty protects fools and children . . . at the time, we qualified on both counts and got out of it with our eyebrows and all other body parts intact.

Marnoot
August 16, 2005, 01:18 PM
Wasn't this on the SomethingAwful forums about a year ago? Yeah. It was linked from a thread on THR as well: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=89374&highlight=flamethrower

english kanigit
August 16, 2005, 02:47 PM
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin’ pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will. Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

One of the best parts of the whole page! :D

zahc
August 16, 2005, 02:57 PM
ha. I made one that that ran off CO2 several years ago. I used alcohol.

At that time I was working at a marina, and the only time I ever used it was down there testing it by the lake so that if I went up a la Saving Private Ryan, I could jump in the lake. Then I put it up because I felt it WAY TOO DANGEROUS for this white boy.

However it remains perhaps the world's most badass squirt gun.

Standing Wolf
August 16, 2005, 04:54 PM
...I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

Well, unless I write my own.

Monkeyleg
August 16, 2005, 06:04 PM
Reminds me of an idea I had when I was a teen, long ago. Tell me if this would work:

Put a spark plug at the end of a tailpipe on a car. Just forward of that, put a jet connected to the fuel line, with an electronic valve to turn the gasoline flow on and off. The valve would be controlled by a button on the dash, as would the spark plug.

Push the button, and the exhaust system becomes a flame-thrower for tailgaters.

Would it work?

MudPuppy
August 16, 2005, 06:35 PM
I thought that's how they got flames to shoot out of the pipes of those old cars anyhow (only without the extra fuel mix)--the spark in the pipe was enough to ignite the exhaust fumes?

I'll play with guns all day long, but fire...well fire is hot.

JohnKSa
August 16, 2005, 06:38 PM
There's not enough unburned fuel in the exhaust of today's vehicles to make it work without adding the fuel jet.

dasmi
August 16, 2005, 06:40 PM
propane injected into the exhaust pipe, and ignited might work.

Eightball
August 16, 2005, 06:41 PM
but fire...well fire is hot.Really? :rolleyes: So are my rifle barrels, once I get done at the range :D .

hso
August 16, 2005, 06:59 PM
Since PVC seamless pipe has a bursting pressure between 130 and 230 psi and this kid put in a non-welded thread fitting for his pressure valve I certainly hope he doesn't pump the thing up beyond about 65 psi. A catastrophic failure would be catastrophic.

Of course, it's exactly the sort of thing I used to do when I was his age. :banghead:

BTW a buddy of mine did the sparkplug/tailpipe trick,but the only way he got enough fuel in the exhaust was to down shift and stomp to get the effect.

Taurus 66
August 16, 2005, 08:21 PM
Since PVC seamless pipe has a bursting pressure between 130 and 230 psi and this kid put in a non-welded thread fitting for his pressure valve I certainly hope he doesn't pump the thing up beyond about 65 psi. A catastrophic failure would be catastrophic.

And the catastrophic result would result in alcohol spewing out with great force and volume, all over poor Johnny while he's holding the flame - 95% mortality rate. A bit more safe is to NOT wear it as a backpack! It will work about the same if there was 10 or 20 feet of distance between the fuel tank and flame.

armedandsafe
August 16, 2005, 08:44 PM
I've always wanted a snowblower that WORKS. :D:D:D

Pops

Rembrandt
August 16, 2005, 09:16 PM
I suppose there are some practical applications.....
- clearing out hornet and bees nests
- cleaning leaves out of the gutters
- melting ice from the side walk in the winter
- special effects for Holloween trick or treaters
- clearing your property of pitbulls and stray cats
- no more raking of leaves in the fall
- no more scraping ice from car windshield in the winter

Lucky
August 16, 2005, 09:38 PM
We rented one for clearing thistle, it's hard to do it any other way. IIRC the legitimate ones have safety features to prevent the flame crawling inside the line.

Sindawe
August 16, 2005, 09:43 PM
but fire...well fire is hot. But its SOOOO pretty and cheerful. And really happy to be fed! :D

Agent P
August 16, 2005, 09:59 PM
but fire...well fire is hot.

But its SOOOO pretty and cheerful.

:D

Anyone else a little freaked out by how young this kid looks?!? :(

AnthonyRSS
August 16, 2005, 10:51 PM
I don't know many kids that could actually build anything, and his thing looks fairly well thought out, if dangerous...

Budd
August 17, 2005, 12:13 AM
I was thinking the same thing about having it on your back. Unless your in a war (not in the street of your nieghborhood, haha) why have it strapped on to you?

How about home burglar alarm system integration :what:
I imagine a pipe and one of those fuel jets every foot or so, underneith the roof's overhang, which can't be shut off until I arrive :D haha

xdoctor
August 17, 2005, 02:40 PM
Reminds me of an idea I had when I was a teen, long ago. Tell me if this would work:

Well, on the older cars it was just a spark plug. If you want to do it now, you have to remove your catalitic converter. uhm... I think. :evil:

afasano
August 17, 2005, 04:32 PM
Neat snow shovel. :-)

shermacman
August 17, 2005, 04:40 PM
Rembrandt says: - cleaning leaves out of the gutters
:D
How about cleaning dust bunnies out from under the bed?

280PLUS
August 17, 2005, 05:29 PM
"Hey dad, I need some parts for a flame thrower I'm building, can you take me to the hardware store?"

"SURE son!! Let's go!!"

:what:

MillCreek
August 17, 2005, 07:53 PM
Any male who sees this and isn't immediately envious needs to check to see if the Shuttle in really in the Hanger.

Apologies for stealing the Homer Simpson quote, but I get to use it so rarely.

Sam
August 17, 2005, 10:35 PM
It's all part of growing up, surviving the poor choices that is.
My flamethrower was a converted forest service backpack sprayer with home made napalm. :what: We also made lots of other neat gadgets sometimes with the connivance of my dad. :cool: And the stuff we found in them old "pony mines", we won't even talk about what we done with that stuff :neener: . Life was more dangerous back then and we still lived through it. I'd much rather have my kids playing with that stuff than shoving powder up their nose. D@mn BATFE takes all the fun out of life. Some of you are beginning to sound like members of the cheering section for Nanny State Inc.

Anything that doesn't kill you..... :D

Sam

Sinsaba
August 23, 2005, 12:04 PM
+1

justashooter
August 23, 2005, 12:40 PM
i did this last year with a pair of stainless indian tanks on a backpack frame and an assortment of high pressure fuel injection hose and piping. really cool way to burn 10$ of Ki kero in 60 seconds or less. i was getting 20 yards of pure fun and burning the hair off the backs of my hands.

need to bring this rig to the next fal files mason dixon shoot. last time the bad fuel wouldn't run, but i fixed that problem.

Elmer
August 23, 2005, 12:44 PM
What's the Jeff Foxworthy joke about the last words of a Redneck?

Lookie here... Watch this!

:what:

:fire:

foghornl
August 23, 2005, 01:53 PM
Man, I GOTTA make one of those...I've had some rather darned aggresive wasps/hornes/bees this year...and a crazed chipmunk or 2.

If you enjoyed reading about "Home made flamethrower" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!